Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

tolaziforname posted:

Where/when can I catch a red snapper? The wikis say ocean / day / summer/fall/winter, but I have tried all three ocean docks, the shallows, and all three rods at all three times of day and I just can't seem to find them.

In my experience, if you can catch red mullets then you can catch red snappers. For what it's worth, I caught all of mine to date off the docks in front of Willy's shop. My reference chart says 6AM - 7PM for catching. Also they're a rather uncommon catch; RNG may just be making GBS threads on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008

Ulvirich posted:

In my experience, if you can catch red mullets then you can catch red snappers. For what it's worth, I caught all of mine to date off the docks in front of Willy's shop. My reference chart says 6AM - 7PM for catching. Also they're a rather uncommon catch; RNG may just be making GBS threads on you.

Thanks, I'll keep trying. Does the type of rod determine fish available to catch, or just size/quality?

Edit: Looks like complaining helped. Caught one at 8:30am on a rainy day in the fall on Willie's dock.

tolaziforname fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 29, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

For the regular trees (maple/pine/acorn) does the 28 days/middle of 3x3 square still apply? Could I up the density for a super tree farm?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

People keep coming in to ask about fishing and I think it needs to go into the OP that there are different fishing difficulty spots. I'm fairly sure if you go into the deep ocean dock at night in the rain, all the fish will spaz out and you won't catch poo poo with the starting fish kit but other spots they will barely move. I've had a fish that just stayed at the bottom and I didn't have to click once to catch.

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

People keep coming in to ask about fishing and I think it needs to go into the OP that there are different fishing difficulty spots. I'm fairly sure if you go into the deep ocean dock at night in the rain, all the fish will spaz out and you won't catch poo poo with the starting fish kit but other spots they will barely move. I've had a fish that just stayed at the bottom and I didn't have to click once to catch.

In my experience, every type of fish has a movement pattern. Pike, for instance, are super jumpy and fight a lot with lots of jumps. Bream's, on the other hand, barely put up a fight.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Do mushroom trees live through the Winter or should you chop them down at the end of the season?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Harmburger posted:

For the regular trees (maple/pine/acorn) does the 28 days/middle of 3x3 square still apply? Could I up the density for a super tree farm?
Regular trees that you plant seem to grow randomly instead of on a set time scale. If a tree is big already in one of the 8 adjacent tiles then it won't grow to full size I think.

It doesn't have the fruit tree massive free space requirement.

Fruit trees grow during winter. Regular trees do not. This is a pretty important piece of information because you will run out of wood during winter.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Xtanstic posted:

I'm a week into my first summer and never noticed the chest I am so dumb...

Don't feel bad, it should have been one of the first gimmie quests they give like build a chicken coop but there is absolutely no mention of it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Don't feel bad, it should have been one of the first gimmie quests they give like build a chicken coop but there is absolutely no mention of it.

Especially since building a chicken coop is a hell of a lot more difficult to do. I'm Summer 15 and I still haven't gotten the money to buy it. :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I only just now started construction on a chicken coop on Summer 8, and I fish pretty aggressively for money

What do chickens eat, anyway?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
penny what the hell are you doing dancing w/ another dude I thought we had something here

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

inthesto posted:

I only just now started construction on a chicken coop on Summer 8, and I fish pretty aggressively for money

What do chickens eat, anyway?

They eat hay. You can buy it at Marnie's or, once you have a silo, mowing down grass with your scythe will magically make it appear there.
e: also, white chickens lay white eggs and brown ones lay brown eggs. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE. shut up :mad:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Well hello there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't build a coop or barn before you have a Silo. Silo's are really cheap to build anyway, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Crabtree posted:

There's a lot of poo poo in this game that isn't explained very well. I wasted like 10 days before I realized I had to actually put hay out for the chicken to lay on before they would do anything.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You will eventually learn to craft that. Finding it is SO much easier since it requires something like 5 iridium bars and a couple other things.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MotU posted:

penny what the hell are you doing dancing w/ another dude I thought we had something here

the flower dance pairings make me wonder if there's a Mineral Town rival system, where the people you don't marry will end up marrying each other eventually. if there is, I guess I'm dooming Sebastian to always stand in the corner alone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tolaziforname posted:

In my experience, every type of fish has a movement pattern. Pike, for instance, are super jumpy and fight a lot with lots of jumps. Bream's, on the other hand, barely put up a fight.

Yes, and to this point, gently caress the Glacierfish for loving ever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dmboogie posted:

the flower dance pairings make me wonder if there's a Mineral Town rival system, where the people you don't marry will end up marrying each other eventually. if there is, I guess I'm dooming Sebastian to always stand in the corner alone.

There probably is, I walked in on a scene in the clinic that pretty heavily seemed to imply something between Harvey and Maru.

I guess something happens after some time/if you see enough events.

Cygni posted:

Yes, and to this point, gently caress the Glacierfish for loving ever.

The Glacierfish is probably the easiest of the four I've tried so far. The one off the eastern pier on the beach during the summer is absolutely impossible.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oops I built a coop before a silo

Oh well, silos aren't terribly expensive

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Crabtree posted:

It sure would have made my first 3 weeks less painful. Throwing away loot that I could have sold and beelining for the backpack expander made the first bit a bit miserable considering my tools took up half my inventory space.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Broken Cog posted:

Well hello there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't build a coop or barn before you have a Silo. Silo's are really cheap to build anyway, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

wtfffff

All I get from fishing chests is ten bait.

And a doll, in one case.

edit: more importantly why are you carrying around so many bars

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
Anybody know how long the preserves pot takes to make something? (mostly what I'm asking is how many of these do I need to be profitable?)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

edit: more importantly why are you carrying around so many bars

You can't tell him/her how to live his/her life, GEEZ LOUISE.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Are crop grow times inconsistent? I picked my strawberries for the second time, but only half of them were pickable.

I water obsessively, to the point of having no friends.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Neveth posted:

Anybody know how long the preserves pot takes to make something? (mostly what I'm asking is how many of these do I need to be profitable?)

It takes a few days, I haven't kept track, however I want to say it's at least 3 days. If you're trying to get in good with Harvey, one pot will give him enough pickled jars for one week of gifting, barely.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Bit the bulet and bought this after all. Can it be played with a touchpad? Also, how buggy is it at the moment?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Ugh. Okay, is there a list somewhere of what needs to be obtained or held onto from Spring?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Ugh. Okay, is there a list somewhere of what needs to be obtained or held onto from Spring?

Like what, gifts? Bundle parts?

Have a gander at this link for gifts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UE6NHxsvv5BRLVJDyk4jUzBeiVgvepInF_TEcyY5IDA/pubhtml

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gamerofthegame posted:

wtfffff

All I get from fishing chests is ten bait.

poo poo all I get from fishing chests is one Coal.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wait gently caress where do I get clay

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope/wish there is a way to burn down joja mart and turn it into a farmers market or something

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

inthesto posted:

Till dirt, get lucky.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

rocks and tilling the soil

also keep an eye out for those little wriggling worms in the soil, they can give clay / coal / sometimes artefacts???

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Are crop grow times inconsistent? I picked my strawberries for the second time, but only half of them were pickable.

I water obsessively, to the point of having no friends.

Yes. The time offered is an average. One of my melons finished growing in 7 days for example.

inthesto posted:

Hoe the ground. Apparently your entire field is clay, and you'll get tons of clay as you go.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

inthesto posted:

I've mostly got it at random from tilling the soil on the farm, although it has also dropped when I dig up the little earthworm tiles around town. I think I've also found it in mine crates? I haven't found a reliable way to get it yet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Want something that'll blow your mind?

Hold down left-click with the watering can equipped for a second or two.

It'll water in a three-tile straight line.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Well, I guess clay might be a reason to actually upgrade my hoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Want something that'll blow your mind?

Hold down left-click with the watering can equipped for a second or two.

It'll water in a three-tile straight line.

Isn't this only when you upgrade to copper?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Rookersh posted:

Yes. The time offered is an average. One of my melons finished growing in 7 days for example.

Hoe the ground. Apparently your entire field is clay, and you'll get tons of clay as you go.

Thanks!

gently caress!!!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Wow what the gently caress is going on with the controls of the slingshot game at the fall fair. Are they awful and impossible or am I just really dumb and bad at games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

inthesto posted:

Well, I guess clay might be a reason to actually upgrade my hoe

Isn't this only when you upgrade to copper?
Yes and the line gets longer the more upgraded the can is. I was kinda disappointed by the iron upgrade to be honest. :(