Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where the fack is Harvey?

I've seen Harvey hang out at the saloon sometimes at night. He also stares at the river, south of the graveyard. He also could be in George, Evelyn and Alex's house doing a house call on George.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I did it, I got him:

I brought him sushi on his birthday and then we played D&D with his friend and I helped him out and we won the game then I bought him flowers and he said yes and now he wants to learn how to cook :kimchi:

someone mod in a way to date linus the strange mountain hobo who is secretly some sort of ascetic nature guru or something he gets really interesting to talk to the more hearts you get and he seems to know the wizard

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

Or do baby chickens not need to be fed?

Each chick will eat a square of hay I think every two days.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My god, you don't need to unlock refining quartz?

:suicide:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

For what it's worth you get like, 3 torches, 1 coal, and occasionally a refined Quartz at best for scrap.
What makes coal fo rrecycling? Have I really been throwing away coal? Coal is such a pain in the rear end to get.

I have been recycling glasses/cds for refined quarts and it's amazing and supplies plenty.

Is it the newspaper? Or the other trash? Because that means I've thrown literally hundreds of coal away and could have much better farm tech. :(

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
How do you milk cows? I have the bowl and they're not babies anymore.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dr. Carwash posted:

How do you milk cows? I have the bowl and they're not babies anymore.
Left click on them with the bowl. It will give you milk or say they have no milk.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Who the heck is Dwarf and why is his birthday on the calendar? Dude looks pretty cute but I have no idea where he is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:golfclap:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Khorne posted:

What makes coal fo rrecycling? Have I really been throwing away coal? Coal is such a pain in the rear end to get.

I have been recycling glasses/cds for refined quarts and it's amazing and supplies plenty.

Is it the newspaper? Or the other trash? Because that means I've thrown literally hundreds of coal away and could have much better farm tech. :(

Follow tracks in the mines, it'll lead you to a mine cart which you can use for 6-9 bits of coal.

Mid way through the mine you'll fine some fuzzy mother fuckers who want to touch you and get hella dizzy. They drop coal reliably.

You can also simply buy it once you get really going. 100 each is a little expensive, though.

dmboogie posted:

Who the heck is Dwarf and why is his birthday on the calendar? Dude looks pretty cute but I have no idea where he is.

He's beyond that rock you need a steel or gold, I forget, pickaxe to get to in the mine entrance

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Coolguye posted:

If you have any friends at all who have played Harvest Moon games, just hang out with them for the first hour or two you're playing Stardew and they'll get your head on straight pretty quick. After you have the bare bone basics (you have to use a hoe to till soil before planting, plants only grow on the days they get water, use this tool to get rid of this thing) the game just sort of works. You're not going to play optimally of course, and if you are a perfectionist you're probably going to restart a couple of times once you get the hang of particulars, but that's true even if you've played a dozen HM games.

By 8 tiles on all sides it means the 8 tiles adjoining the sapling. This only applies for fruit trees, though, pure arboreal trees like oaks and maples do not give a poo poo and will grow regardless. For orchards, the optimal planting would be alternating sapling-empty space-sapling-empty space in a grid. Probably go ahead and just till the space around it even though it doesn't require it because it will discourage weeds and poo poo from growing there.

After the tree grows you'll want to keep things away from the 8 tiles adjoining because that's where fruit will spawn.

given the 8 tile requirements wouldn't the best fruit tree layout actually be: (where 0 is space, x is fruit tree)
code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O
because with only a single space you'd have overlap? or does that not actually interfere with fruit spawning or something? That's what i assumed from the wording but my trees haven't grown to fruition yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Uh oh, Abigail's into ouija boards.

Good thing this valley has nothing weird or occult going on!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Friends, please don't worry about being frustrated with the game. It is not that kind of game. There's literally no fail state. Just get it and make your little farm, and post here if you can't figure out how to do a thing you want to do.

I can't wait for online co-op. My buddy and I are going to relax so hard.

edit: UNOPTIMIZED PROBABLY

I love those little stone paths.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

busb posted:

given the 8 tile requirements wouldn't the best fruit tree layout actually be: (where 0 is space, x is fruit tree)
code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O
because with only a single space you'd have overlap? or does that not actually interfere with fruit spawning or something? That's what i assumed from the wording but my trees haven't grown to fruition yet.

That's how I'm handling my orchard, but I dunno how fruit spawning is coded. Which is why I'm doing that.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
How do you give an npc an item for a quest? Every time I try they think it is a gift.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Did I do this right? I honestly can't tell, because HM games never tell you dick about raising animals

inthesto fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Gamerofthegame posted:

He's beyond that rock you need a steel or gold, I forget, pickaxe to get to in the mine entrance

You can use a cherry bomb to blow it up

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

You put a building in front of a field? are you crazy

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Do characters actually still go about their lives after you marry them, or is this one of the many Harvest Moon clones where characters lose all personality and become stay-at-home zombies after you marry them?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Has anyone else gotten like 3-5 updates on steam today, with the latest one being 0kb?

I can't find anyone mentioning this on either the stardew forums or steam.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

busb posted:

code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O

The tile has to be empty, it isn't actually "used." For lumber trees this doesn't even reaaaaally matter, as being adjacent just stops a sapling from growing, leaving you with a half+-grown sapling until you cut the other one down, meaning the downtime is theortically less.

Fruit trees aren't going to be cut down, however.

Now, making it more spaced out might let you see if there's actually fruit to be had, maybe, but I haven't gotten to fruit trees yet because it's gently caress off expensive.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

You put a building in front of a field? are you crazy

I know bah, I'll plough that field under in winter and put another building there or something, I dunno.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Dilber posted:

Has anyone else gotten like 3-5 updates on steam today, with the latest one being 0kb?

I can't find anyone mentioning this on either the stardew forums or steam.

ConcernedApe frequently updates his/her twitter, particularly with build updates and the like, so I just follow that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

uh I forgot I put murder as my favorite thing.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Khorne posted:

What makes coal fo rrecycling? Have I really been throwing away coal?

When you fish up 'trash' you get coal. I also got iron ore from it once so other things might be possible. Broken glasses and CDs become refined quartz, and soggy newspapers turn into torches somehow. Driftwood just becomes regular wood as far as I've seen so meh don't bother.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

uh I forgot I put murder as my favorite thing.

Maybe this is how we get rid of Morris.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i had my first crash right as Leah and i were hookin up and (story spoiler) the city boy ex-boyfriend came lookin for a black eye

hope it triggers again

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

AegisP posted:

ConcernedApe frequently updates his/her twitter, particularly with build updates and the like, so I just follow that.

It's not on there either.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna offset my trees so I can see poo poo. You might as well be running around in complete darkness with all that foliage in the way.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Aaod posted:

How do you give an npc an item for a quest? Every time I try they think it is a gift.

just give it to them, it will still complete the quest

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

busb posted:

code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O

This is how I've been planning my fruit trees, except I'm going to have them offset at bit, like this:

code:
O O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O O 
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O O
So that they can be more visible behind each other.

Dilber posted:

I've been getting multiple updates today too, I think they are unversioned hotfixes. I suspect he put the diagonal run fix back in, because it seems different now.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Dilber posted:

The lastest upload tweet (in a reply to someone else) was 45 minutes ago, so it seems they update throughout the day periodically as they work on batches of bugs.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

YES bread posted:

Last few times I tried it didn't work such as the wizard wanting a melon I give him one he takes it as a gift and quest still not completed.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

e: oops

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Had to go offline on Steam so my friends wouldn't notice I'm playing this poo poo all night

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YES bread posted:

This doesn't work for clint's "35 copper" or whatever quests. I have no idea how to do those.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Khorne posted:

This doesn't work for clint's "35 copper" or whatever quests. I have no idea how to do those.

That's weird, it worked when I did it just a little bit ago.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Khorne posted:

Clint's is special and annoying as poo poo. It'll only count copper ores that you've dug up since you've accepted the quest. After you've mined 35 fresh ones, then you go fork them over

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Khorne posted:

You don't give him the copper, you have to mine the copper after you accept the quest, mine 35 pieces of copper, and then talk to him. Wiley's fishing quests work the same way.

Unintuitive, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dmboogie posted:

You don't give him the copper, you have to mine the copper after you accept the quest, mine 35 pieces of copper, and then talk to him. Wiley's fishing quests work the same way.

Unintuitive, yeah.
Yeah, Wiley's fishing quests say to catch but Clint's just says bring him some copper to inspect. Makes sense.