Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah I had Harvey give me his intro dialog in the middle of friggin' fall, it's like dude, i already know you're the pedo-stached doctor, why are you reminding me?

"snowgoon" :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Your Computer posted:

I just started my second year and other than LARGE SCALE INDUSTRIAL FARMING I plan to try my hand at animal husbandry. I already have a coop and a silo, but the posts here make it seem like animals eat unsustainable amounts of food. Is there a list or a chart or something out there than I can refer to? For those of you making walled off areas for your animals, got any pictures of the logistics?

The animals in this game are way cute and I also need things like eggs and milk to fuel my restaurant business.
They upped the grass spawn rate last night, but even if you just outright buy hay animals pay themselves off as long as you make artisan goods.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just remembered I forgot to plant my drat Rare seeds that I bought for fall. gently caress.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

They know. :tinfoil:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm still worrying that Penny's static dialogue is a bug, because it sounds really weird if ConcernedApe just... didn't write dialogue for one of the NPCs. And a marriage candidate at that. Leah is offering me to huddle up under a quilt and Abigail wants to share a hot cup of cocoa but Penny just tells me "I've lived in Pelican Town my entire life" and "If you find a rare artifact take it to Gunther at the library" and we're at 8 hearts now. I wanted to marry Penny but I'm not sure I could live with a JRPG NPC.

Does anyone know if it's a known issue or is there a place to file a report?

It's not a bug, it's when you talk to her ( I assume ).

NPCs live in two different spaces. Work, and not work. When at work they have canned dialogue throughout to explain what they are doing, which is why a lot of people are getting similar issues with Harvey. Even if he's outside his clinic wandering down to the Saloon, the game still counts him at "work", so it'll have him say something about how he runs the only clinic, he's the doctor, etc etc.

For Penny, she's at "work" whenever she's with those two kids, and she only has two different states to account for you, unmarried or married. Once you marry her she gets new lines about her job, etc etc.

Does she still have those lines when she's chilling up by the community center/alone in the library/in her room? If so, you might have an odd bug. I have her at 10 stars, and she talks about wanting her own place/apologizing for her mothers behavior/really wanting kids/asking if she can help out on the farm/semi joking about how pervy she was in the 10 star event.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 2, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

http://www.amazon.com/Attack-Deranged-Mutant-Killer-Monster/dp/0836218833

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What happens when you buy the Costco err Jojo membership? Does the warehouse do anything? I don't want to mess around with my own save to find out.
I'm guessing it would basically ruin your game because it would close off all the community center quests.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Not fat enough, tbh

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

What happens when you buy the Costco err Jojo membership? Does the warehouse do anything? I don't want to mess around with my own save to find out.
I'm guessing it would basically ruin your game because it would close off all the community center quests.

You have to pay between 40k-60k per for the benefits you'd have gotten through the community center.

It lacks the Friendship + upgrade, so it's all the mechanical ones only.

At the start of year 3, your grandpa ghost shows up and tells you off for selling out, and some people say it ends the game. I don't believe them, but I do believe you get called out on it by your grandpa.

It's basically a bad call all around, because the only hard community center bundle to get is the Bulletin Board, and Joja doesn't have an equivalent. Everything else just takes time, and is fairly easy to get done by the end of y1/y2 if you pay attention/plan for them.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I just started my second year and other than LARGE SCALE INDUSTRIAL FARMING I plan to try my hand at animal husbandry. I already have a coop and a silo, but the posts here make it seem like animals eat unsustainable amounts of food. Is there a list or a chart or something out there than I can refer to? For those of you making walled off areas for your animals, got any pictures of the logistics?

The animals in this game are way cute and I also need things like eggs and milk to fuel my restaurant business.

Make sure you have pastures that the critters can get to, then save your hay for winter or rainy days. It is more economical to have a small pasture for the animals to eat, rather than trying to harvest it yourself and give it to them.

The silo has a max of 240 hay, that will cover 8 animals for 30 days. It can take a full season or two to fill it up if you are regularly cutting the wild grass around your farm. Don't cut too much, you want to leave enough grass so that it can continue to grow and spread.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DropsySufferer posted:

Instead of doing bundles you buy the reward.

edit: That's 240 hay for each silo, you can build more then one.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

Instead of doing bundles you buy the reward.

edit: That's 240 hay for each silo, you can build more then one.

Yeah, so if you want more than 8 animals on your farm, you will need more silos to survive winter unless you sell off some of your animals at the end of fall.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

They replace the community center with a warehouse and you get to buy the upgrades instead.

And also youre a monster.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

KoB posted:

And also youre a monster.

This. And to be fair, it's probably more like Sam's Club. CostCo is pretty rad imho.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

NPCs live in two different spaces. Work, and not work. When at work they have canned dialogue throughout to explain what they are doing, which is why a lot of people are getting similar issues with Harvey. Even if he's outside his clinic wandering down to the Saloon, the game still counts him at "work", so it'll have him say something about how he runs the only clinic, he's the doctor, etc etc.

For Penny, she's at "work" whenever she's with those two kids, and she only has two different states to account for you, unmarried or married. Once you marry her she gets new lines about her job, etc etc.

Does she still have those lines when she's chilling up by the community center/alone in the library/in her room? If so, you might have an odd bug. I have her at 10 stars, and she talks about wanting her own place/apologizing for her mothers behavior/really wanting kids/asking if she can help out on the farm/semi joking about how pervy she was in the 10 star event.

Oh, cool, I wasn't aware the NPCs worked like that. Makes the dialogue make more sense.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
How does the stable work? Do you need to feed your horse with hay like the other animals?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can you pick up chests, scarecrows, etc after placing them?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Can you pick up chests, scarecrows, etc after placing them?

Yeah, just bash them with an axe or pick. The chest has to be empty to do this however.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there any way to sell the stuff that I'm supposed to donate to the museum? Artifacts, minerals, etc. I know I can't sell them at Pierre's.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Huh, that makes sense I guess. I do get the lines about wanting her own place, but those lines have also stayed the same for a long time however. Maybe she just doesn't have that much text, and I suppose I might have also hosed up by answering "iunno" when asked about babies. :( It's also a shame that I fixed the bus, got Pam back to work and... neither of them mentions it at all.

PhantomZero posted:

Make sure you have pastures that the critters can get to

What counts as "can get to"? Anywhere on the farmland or close to the coop? I might have placed it a bit stupidly, as I basically nestled it between my house and the northern exit.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

My apologies if these have been answered already, this thread moves fast!

1) Do I need to water fully-grown crops if I intend to leave them where they are without harvesting them? Specifically, I have flowers around my bee houses for fancy honey. I tried to water one the day they came up and accidentally picked it, dunno if I messed up or if they just don't need it anymore.

2) How long does it take/what do I need to do to do whatever is up with the dilapidated building on my farm? It's an eyesore and I can't demolish it, sadly.

3) Is there something aside from crows and debris falling off stone fences (which I understand was fixed in the latest patch anyway) that causes crops to die randomly? I've had it happen a few times were a day or two after planting, some crops just disappear. Usually, but not always, if I water the empty tile after it goes missing the crop will reappear somehow the next day, but then take a day longer to grow compared to the rest around it, and sometimes it just stays gone. I thought I was trampling them but apparently that's not a thing.

4) I've been told it's important to keep up relationships with people. Other than your marriage candidate (Abigail is obviously the best waifu, by the way), what benefits does this actually incur? I've had one character randomly mail me some fertilizer, which is nice I guess but not a huge help and that was at 1 heart so maybe the gifts get more frequent/better quality later on?

5) Why is the second half of the beach so important? People seem adamant that you need to unlock it ASAP but I find one or MAYBE two coral there every two or three days, which granted is 100-200 free gold but doesn't seem super important. The 300 wood investment hurt at the time, though now with a somewhat upgraded axe it isn't a big deal anymore.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

PhantomZero posted:

Yeah, just bash them with an axe or pick. The chest has to be empty to do this however.

Sweet!

So how do I zoom out then so I can see my whole field?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wondered what you get for bringing a Prismatic Shard to the three pillars in the desert, here is the reward: http://i.imgur.com/pHjOrrW.jpg

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Speaking of the community center, how am I supposed to donate money to the one that requires money?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

hopeandjoy posted:

Your chicken will lay by all her lonesome. There's no male animals in the game except for male slimes.

It's not like chickens need a rooster around to lay eggs IRL anyway.

The new chickens you get from the incubator are all just immaculate conceptions though, I guess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ariza posted:

Is there any way to sell the stuff that I'm supposed to donate to the museum? Artifacts, minerals, etc. I know I can't sell them at Pierre's.

Drop them in the box at your farm.

Don't expect good prices just because they're rare, though. I sold a duplicate dwarf scroll and got a whopping 1g for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Funkmaster General posted:

My apologies if these have been answered already, this thread moves fast!

1) Do I need to water fully-grown crops if I intend to leave them where they are without harvesting them? Specifically, I have flowers around my bee houses for fancy honey. I tried to water one the day they came up and accidentally picked it, dunno if I messed up or if they just don't need it anymore.

2) How long does it take/what do I need to do to do whatever is up with the dilapidated building on my farm? It's an eyesore and I can't demolish it, sadly.

3) Is there something aside from crows and debris falling off stone fences (which I understand was fixed in the latest patch anyway) that causes crops to die randomly? I've had it happen a few times were a day or two after planting, some crops just disappear. Usually, but not always, if I water the empty tile after it goes missing the crop will reappear somehow the next day, but then take a day longer to grow compared to the rest around it, and sometimes it just stays gone. I thought I was trampling them but apparently that's not a thing.

4) I've been told it's important to keep up relationships with people. Other than your marriage candidate (Abigail is obviously the best waifu, by the way), what benefits does this actually incur? I've had one character randomly mail me some fertilizer, which is nice I guess but not a huge help and that was at 1 heart so maybe the gifts get more frequent/better quality later on?

5) Why is the second half of the beach so important? People seem adamant that you need to unlock it ASAP but I find one or MAYBE two coral there every two or three days, which granted is 100-200 free gold but doesn't seem super important. The 300 wood investment hurt at the time, though now with a somewhat upgraded axe it isn't a big deal anymore.

2) It's the greenhouse, do community center quests.

4) Recipes, mostly. Also new scenes, lots of which are pretty cool.

5) There is a man there who sells something on rainy days you will eventually want. Having the second beach scourable also gives some extra shots at rolling up a nautilus shell or rainbow shell, I think.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

In the summer, one of the legendary fish can be caught off the pier. Those things are real good money.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So does winter completely wipe out planted grass, or is it just covered by snow and grows back next spring?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

selling out the community center and going the joja route doesn't even really seem very fun, because collecting stuff for the bundles is fun.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wipes it out entirely, it just doesn't seem like that because Spring 1 randomly generates grass on any empty untilled plots (as well as bits of rock and branches).

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Maybe it was just luck, but the first time I looted that place I got about 1,200g from what was already there. Then every time after that only a couple hundred. But that first thousand helped a lot towards getting the backpack.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why can't I dance with my wife at the flower festival? :saddowns:

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Xtanstic posted:

Speaking of the community center, how am I supposed to donate money to the one that requires money?

Should just have to click on the bundle you want to buy and then on the big "Purchase" button (assuming you have the cash on hand).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Broken Cog posted:

Why can't I dance with my wife at the flower festival? :saddowns:

“See me and Penny got us one of them open marriages...like in France.”

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Do I have to do anything with beehives to get honey, or does it just generate honey every X days?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I know it's a semi bug but Abigal seems to be eating any quartz I give her. :wtc:

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do I have to do anything with beehives to get honey, or does it just generate honey every X days?

You don't have to do anything, but if you put them next to flowers you grow you will get different types of honey.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dr. Carwash posted:

How does the stable work? Do you need to feed your horse with hay like the other animals?

Stable just operates as a home point that your horse resets to every morning. Once it's built you can demolish it without losing your horse. Instead of appearing at the stable every morning, the horse will just remain at the last place you dismounted it. Which can mean literally at your front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

why do you do this to me, stardew valley.......... :arghfist::saddowns: