Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Forester really needs to be changed so people actually want to pick it. Chop trees/saplings faster, get some % more wood, I don't know, but "Sell wood for 3g instead of 2g" is not it.

The problem is it's still bad.

Gatherer is insane. In a single run of the southern map you can easily get 100+ fruits thanks to the doubling effect. Especially stuff like Blackberries or Salmonberries which grow on the plants. ( I have close to 2 thousand Blackberries from getting to Fall 2. Preserves vs Wine? Who the gently caress cares, I'd need a billion goddamn kegs to even hit the point my fruit stores are getting hurt. )

If you have Artisan, at that point you've won. You have so much fruit you can make jams/jellies/booze for years without ever having to stop. Your holdback isn't fruit, it's more kegs.

The upgrades from Forester also aren't very good. A chance to get Hardwood from normal trees? Cool I guess, but at level 10 Forager you have access to the Forest, which means you have access to Hardwood in bulk. 25% better Syrup sales? Who the gently caress cares, they sell for 100/250ish with no variation. And it still pales compared to the insane buff from Artisan, which also covers all jellies/wines/jams you'll be making. ( and those jams/jellies/wines actually have variation depending on the fruit used/quality of the fruit! Unlike tree sap which is always the same price, you can easily make some hilariously expensive jams/wines even before Artisan. )

A lot of the skill trees are just bad really. Miner is....kind of useless outside of Iridium, and leads to finding more coal ( useless, just go genocide the soots ), or 25% better sales of metal bars ( why would you ever sell metal bars, you have transmute. ). Meanwhile Geologist leads to Excavator, which means not just a chance to find more omni geodes, but also more omni geodes per break. I can regularly leave a dungeon/quarry run with 50+ omni geodes now, which somewhat breaks the rare materials market, and even gives me a decent chunk of Iridium stuff.

Or how about the Rancher path for Farming, which only gives you a 10% boost to animal product sales, and leads to two talents that apparently don't even work! And if they did, they still couldn't compare to Tiller/Artisan.

Or how in Fighting, you can get 20% increased damage for filling out the fighting tree......or get yourself to 80% chance to crit thanks to Desperado/crit rings, and every time you crit something it just instantly dies.

Hell, why not include the Bat/Mushroom thing! As I said, you can easily have hundreds of fruits already just by Gatherer. Meanwhile I've fully cleared both dungeons, and in the process saw.....4 mushrooms. All Red, not a single Purple. Meanwhile my Mushroom cave is giving me 1-2 Purples a month, and 5+ Reds/Chants. Great for all those Mushroom recipes/health potions that instantly bring me back to full health/energy.

The balance across the board with the ingame choices is....poor.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Your Computer posted:

This is the truth. I had stocked up hundreds of Hops, so come Winter I turned my bedroom into a brewery and now I'm constantly churning out 20 Pale Ales at a time for 6k profit every couple of days. :c00lbutt:

e:

this is the sort of stuff I need more buildings for, CA!

I have that moon rock decoration thing. Is it possible to sell it because I would much rather have big bux for it but not if it's only worth like 100g

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The foraged berries, except crystal fruit, sell for nothing as wine because it's a multiplier.

Forester's perk is useless, yeah. I agree. The tier2 ones aren't useless though. It would maybe better if hard wood sold for a lot more than it does currently. Then forester's perk could actually be a perk.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Do the potential spouses not advance past 8 if you don't bouquet them? I've given Haley so many sunflowers at 8.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the deal with Amarath? I thought it was supposed to be something you could give to your animals for a affection boost, but apparently it's just a pure cash crop?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Khorne posted:

The foraged berries, except crystal fruit, sell for nothing as wine because it's a multiplier.

Forester's perk is useless, yeah. I agree. The tier2 ones aren't useless though. It would maybe better if hard wood sold for a lot more than it does currently. Then forester's perk could actually be a perk.

My wine isn't selling for as much as it could be if I was using better fruit, but it is making me decent money. I wouldn't say the foraged berries sell for nothing as wine.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Do the potential spouses not advance past 8 if you don't bouquet them? I've given Haley so many sunflowers at 8.

Bouquets unlock at 8 hearts, and anything above 8 the game treats as a dating/romantic relationship when it comes to the single villagers. So, yes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I'm very confused. I saw Alex's third cutscene, but I only had him at 5 hearts. Are there more than 2/4/6/8/10th level heart events, or did something just glitch for me?

Also, I found Pierre's "secret stash" and was weirded out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kor posted:

Bouquets unlock at 8 hearts, and anything above 8 the game treats as a dating/romantic relationship when it comes to the single villagers. So, yes.

Not quite, you can break it with the free hearts from the Community Center at least.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Kind of sucks I have to bouquet 10 people if I want to see where every villagers story is going then.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

I'm really glad I spotted this thread. Getting this game immediately.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
:staredog:

I guess kegs it is. Too bad you can't walk through hops, so I guess I'd have to find a more creative sprinkler system for them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I could've sworn I got Penny to 9 hearts before buying a bouquet.

Speaking of hearts, can you "skip" heart events? I know they trigger at specific times/places so I assume you can't, but it would suck if you watched the 8-heart event and then never get to see the 6-heart for instance.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Not quite, you can break it with the free hearts from the Community Center at least.

Wonder if that might be a bug? I'm not sure it's intended at any rate.

dmboogie posted:

I'm very confused. I saw Alex's third cutscene, but I only had him at 5 hearts. Are there more than 2/4/6/8/10th level heart events, or did something just glitch for me?

I've been noticing some shenanigans with the cutscenes too. Alex's first cutscene didn't fire for me until I got him to three hearts, for example.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
What does the upgraded hoe actually do? I dont see how a functional upgrade is even possible for that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

:staredog:

I guess kegs it is. Too bad you can't walk through hops, so I guess I'd have to find a more creative sprinkler system for them.
Puting them on a single side of quality sprinklers worked out for me. I created a wall of them on the outside of mine. Then plant a different crop in the other 5 tiles. You can also leave intentional gaps at convenient walk through points that you also fill with the other crop.

I didn't harvest that many hops though. If I do another play through I definitely will, because they even pay for the price of the kegs if you just outright buy materials rapidly.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 3, 2016

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

how me a frog posted:

What does the upgraded hoe actually do? I dont see how a functional upgrade is even possible for that.

It increases the area you dig per click. First upgrade makes it a 3 tile line in front of you.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Khorne posted:

Put them on a single side of quality sprinklers. I created a wall of them on the outside of mine. Then plant a different crop in the other 5 tiles. You can also leave intentional gaps and fill it with another crop as well so they act like a wall of sorts.

You know, it's been really hard breaking myself of the "9 seeds in a bag" mentality of the OG Harvest Moons. It still doesn't initially register to me that I can buy individual seeds and not packs of 9. So when I think of a 3x3 space, I only ever think of it as one crop.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Kor posted:

It increases the area you dig per click. First upgrade makes it a 3 tile line in front of you.

B...but my aesthetics. Thats just gonna go wrong all over the farm!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

This game's ok in my book

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

how me a frog posted:

B...but my aesthetics. Thats just gonna go wrong all over the farm!

You can untill land. Or just not charge the hoe.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah, if you hit a hoed tile with your pickaxe it'll go back to normal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found my first Rabbit's Foot as a random drop from an enemy at level 30+ of the desert mines. So if anyone is looking for that, there's a lead at least.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ramadu posted:

So what do I do in the winter? just mine and fish and go back to bed at 7am to make winter pass faster?

Gil has a bounty on monsters in the Adventurer's Guild. As others have said, it's a good time of year to make sure everyone is loaded with gifts.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Found my first Rabbit's Foot as a random drop from an enemy at level 30+ of the desert mines. So if anyone is looking for that, there's a lead at least.

I think once you can keep rabbits they may drop Rabbit's Foot.

I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Mmkay, yeah, the upgrade hoe and watering can could definitely do with the increased area just being a toggle rather than a charge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
god winter is a piece of poo poo if you already cleared out the mines

Why do wild seeds take so long to mature I can't even make MAD CASH ugh

hopeandjoy posted:

I think once you can keep rabbits they may drop Rabbit's Foot.

I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Penny is the well educated one. She knows how you do it. It's why she hates them as a gift.

You hatchet wielding monster.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

Sage Grimm posted:

Keep the green bar set so the fish rests in the top half. Tapping is far superior to press and hold unless it's one of the cheeky bastard fishes who like to change depths at the drop of a hat (LOOKING AT YOU GLACIERFISH) due to the momentum you build up. Buy Trout Soup from Willy to make things a little easier to start. If the fish dives to the bottom, cancel out the bounce of the lure by tapping just before or after it hits the bottom.

Thanks a bunch. It was brutal trying to get to lvl 1 with that basic pole and no bait the soup helped!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

dmboogie posted:

If it's Alex's MUH BOOKS then I don't think it's a heart event. Just a generic friendship event or something.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gamerofthegame posted:

god winter is a piece of poo poo if you already cleared out the mines

Finished Gil's bounties? Caught all the winter fish? Everyone loaded up with gifts? Farm cleared of debris?

I don't find Winter to be dull and I have the mines cleared as well. Going to bed at 1:50am with no energy.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Leah showed up at my place at 5 hearts and gave me a statue that she called 'What I Feel about (Insert Your Name Here)" :3:. Loving the dialogue, pace, and how fresh everything feels. I'm a little worried I'll never enjoy a HM game again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

When is a good time to upgrade the watering can? At the beginning of the season?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Little Mac posted:

When is a good time to upgrade the watering can? At the beginning of the season?

Check the weather in the morning before you start your day. If it says it's raining tomorrow, then go out, water your crops, and drop off the watering can. The next day it will be raining so you won't need it. Now, the day after, run over to the smith and pick up your new watering can and go water your crops like normal. There's no downtime this way.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Check the weather in the morning before you start your day. If it says it's raining tomorrow, then go out, water your crops, and drop off the watering can. The next day it will be raining so you won't need it. Now, the day after, run over to the smith and pick up your new watering can and go water your crops like normal. There's no downtime this way.

Or be like me and not have it rain for 23 days straight, then on the day it does rain you'll already have a tool in the shop.

That's when you just rush to Quality Sprinkler and say gently caress it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do silver and gold upgrades take more than a day? I feel like going to Silver took an extra day than I expected.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Are all the seasons the same length and how many days is that

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
28 days.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
penny a field trip to the countryside is not setting up a picnic blanket outside of jas's house in the middle of winter beside a frozen lake

what the gently caress, penny

Fhqwhgads posted:

Nothing will die if you don't water it for a day, but the general thought is right now it won't grow. So even then it isn't a huuuuge deal.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I've found a way to cut out Pierre as the middleman and can now earn 100 percent profit from my crops. Get a few seed machines and you'll never need to waste your profits buying seeds again. With 3 machines I get about 5 - 8 seeds per 3 plants. Pierre is going to have to cut his prices if he ever wants me to set foot in his shop again... Actually I wish I could build my own shop and compete and bankrupt that bastard. I'll never forgive him for taking 1st place away from me at the fair the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How many points does Pierre get at that? I won with 92.