Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cicadalek posted:

Some crops you plant once, harvest multiple times. You can tell which kind it is in the seed description.

Parsnips aren't hugely profitable but they have a relatively short growth time, which can be handy if you want a quick return on your investment, or you want to grow a bunch of stuff in the last week of the month. Generally the stuff that sticks around all season is less hassle if you plant a bunch of them on day one, since you don't have to deal with replanting.

Also make sure to fertilize your soil (craft it from tree sap) to up the chance of quality crop yields, they're worth a bit more than regular crops.

I keep forgetting to fertilize, which is unfortunate since I have Literal Stacks of basic fertilizer.

About to hit Summer 2, I think I'll roll with Not Corn this time, as handy as it is.

(Not least because the Field of Infinite Cranberries will allow me to buy out not just the town, but Jojacorp itself. :getin:

How does it feel to threaten the community center now, fuckers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no need for the mine to have 'secret' levels at the bottom when there's literally an entirely separate dungeon to go through

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jesus Christ, Haley.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh you don't, do you? :colbert:

Not after my second restart, I don't, and I have the income to prove it. :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Fuuuuck it's annoying to miss my overall goal by one detail. I restarted, basically trying to slingshot my way to quality sprinklers by summer 1. Basically everything goes well. I have about 100 tilled hexes, all growing various things, and I've been diving in the mine a lot. Down to level 65 on day 20.

For some reason though, I forgot that quality sprinklers are level 6 farming, not level 5. I can probably hit level 5 farming in the next week or so, but level 6 is probably out of the question.

I mean it is not bad, per se. I will gain a fair bit of farming xp on the front end of the summer because I will need to reorganize the fields, and since I am already pretty far ahead it likely won't be much past summer 5 when I hit my goal. But drat, almost had it!

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Xtanstic posted:

B-b-b-b-b-ut.... the romance???

Honestly it does sound like a pretty fun twist on the game and seems really chill.

Maybe I'll give Leah some berries? Or dandelions and coconuts to Haley? Alex likes coral if you're that way inclined.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I am going to be so God drat glad when winter is over and lingcod are not running away with bait. gently caress lingcod.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus loving christ who the gently caress thought that fishing minigame was a good idea.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kyte posted:

Jesus loving christ who the gently caress thought that fishing minigame was a good idea.

everyone, because it's good and fun and easy

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

busb posted:

everyone, because it's good and fun and easy

How the hell is it easy to control that green bar thingy when its acceleration and deceleration curves are so drat insane.
Click a bit, doesn't move. Click a bit more, it's overshooting the gently caress out. Let it go back down. Try to catch it. Press a bit, it not slowing down at all. Press some more, it's going the gently caress up again.

I can't even start trying to track the fish's movement because I can't loving keep the thing level.

E: Like, the basic theory is fine, it's a serviceable if not particularly compelling minigame, but an actually sane implementation wouldn't have loving exponential acceleration on the goddamn thing. If you overshoot, even a tiny bit, you've basically given up control until the thing settles again. The track's too short so you can't even let it coast to the right place.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Kyte posted:

How the hell is it easy to control that green bar thingy when its acceleration and deceleration curves are so drat insane.

Tap repeatedly to keep it steady, don't hold. You should get non-special fishes 100% of the time, and the weird ones (that move around much more) pretty reliably.

Related: What do better rods actually do, mechanically?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

better rods let you actually use stuff like bait and tackle, which can make things better/easier. i don't know if they actually increase your fishing skill. leveling fishing itself does a lot.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Johnny Joestar posted:

better rods let you actually use stuff like bait and tackle, which can make things better/easier. i don't know if they actually increase your fishing skill. leveling fishing itself does a lot.

Do better rods make the green bar longer or is that just from leveling fishing? I've been doing both at about the same time so I can't really tell what came from what.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Pesterchum posted:

Do better rods make the green bar longer or is that just from leveling fishing? I've been doing both at about the same time so I can't really tell what came from what.

Same, this was basically my doubt. I think that comes from skill, because the Iridium rod doesn't seem much better.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think leveling fishing is what does the most for your actual fishing skill. tackles for the iridium rod can actually be pretty helpful but they're not essential.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is it me or I have to redo my settings and keybinds for each savefile?

E: just so I'm not entirely bitching I must say there's something really pleasant in using the scrollwheel and left click to do your farming.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2016

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Just picked this up based on the hype. I've never played Harvest Moon.

I'm 15 days in and a bit overwhelmed with choices. Not sure what I should be doing other than I decided the townsfolk are mostly jerks except the homeless guy who I've befriended. I bring him food as often as I can on the way to the dungeon.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm not sure if I regret my character creation choices or not.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I gave Sebastian sashimi for his birthday, the next day Linus mails me sashimi as a sign of friendship.

I hope this isn't related. I made it from the worst kind of fish. Carp.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
:saddowns: It seems to be spring 15, and I haven't gotten the cutscene for the community center to open- is it a bit randomized? I don't want to think that it's bugged because this playthrough is going so well. I'll give it a couple more days.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Freakbox posted:

:saddowns: It seems to be spring 15, and I haven't gotten the cutscene for the community center to open- is it a bit randomized? I don't want to think that it's bugged because this playthrough is going so well.

Afaik the only absolute requirement is that you've completed the "meet all the townies" quest

Like I'm pretty sure it triggered the day after I finished that quest.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Some googling says some people haven't had it trigger until nearly two weeks of spring or more have passed, so I'm gonna give it two more days then dig around in the save file and hope I find some kind of "community center open yes" bracket.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wiki says you have to talk to Morris and refuse his offer of Joja membership first. I don't know how accurate that is, but I did that while trying to find all the townies.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Freakbox posted:

:saddowns: It seems to be spring 15, and I haven't gotten the cutscene for the community center to open- is it a bit randomized? I don't want to think that it's bugged because this playthrough is going so well. I'll give it a couple more days.
It forces itself to trigger by the 20th.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Khorne posted:

It forces itself to trigger by the 20th.

Oh thank god- it's nice to think of a failsafe mechanism like that. I already have two of the packs ready and everything for the little Juminos. :smith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Wiki says you have to talk to Morris and refuse his offer of Joja membership first. I don't know how accurate that is, but I did that while trying to find all the townies.

I didn't talk to that jerk and had the Community event trigger during the first week.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Where the gently caress is Alice? I found her axe but can't see her on the map or find her by stumbling around at the pace of frozen molasses. (Do you ever get something to make you move faster?)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Where the gently caress is Alice? I found her axe but can't see her on the map or find her by stumbling around at the pace of frozen molasses. (Do you ever get something to make you move faster?)

Buy coffee at the bar. There's also mods to do it if you don't want to keep buying coffee.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

You're looking for Robin, not Alice. She is the carpenter, and lives in the house near the mines. You can use coffee (Always available at the saloon) to get around quicker, or make pepper poppers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kyte posted:

I've gotten a lot more used to fishing but I still don't care for it.

Anyway, finally crafted my first improved sprinkler. I've got no known sources of gold at the moment so it looks like I'm stuck with paying Clint for the pleasure, but it's as good a time as any to start rotating out my scarecrow army. Autumn's just around the corner so I'll be sure to set aside the last few days for redesigning my farm around having fewer D&D posters standing silent vigil.

Looking long term, I've started storing up wheat for whenever brewing gets unlocked. Your crops never spoil, right? Dunno how long I'll have to wait to get starting distilling moonshine, but if your crops can go bad then it'd probably be in my best interest to offload my supply ASAP.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Bad Seafood posted:

I've gotten a lot more used to fishing but I still don't care for it.

Anyway, finally crafted my first improved sprinkler. I've got no known sources of gold at the moment so it looks like I'm stuck with paying Clint for the pleasure, but it's as good a time as any to start rotating out my scarecrow army. Autumn's just around the corner so I'll be sure to set aside the last few days for redesigning my farm around having fewer D&D posters standing silent vigil.

Looking long term, I've started storing up wheat for whenever brewing gets unlocked. Your crops never spoil, right? Dunno how long I'll have to wait to get starting distilling moonshine, but if your crops can go bad then it'd probably be in my best interest to offload my supply ASAP.

Crops never expire. I just started brewing some hops that I've had in storage for very nearly a full year. Speaking of which, the keg unlocks at farming level 8.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh, good. I'm almost there then.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Disappointed that using potatos in the keg makes 'potato juice' instead of bathtub vodka, but otherwise loving the game.

Edit: If I put garlic in a keg, will it make... garlic juice? Dare I try?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You can make yam juice and corn juice, if you are so inclined.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Disappointed that using potatos in the keg makes 'potato juice' instead of bathtub vodka, but otherwise loving the game.

Edit: If I put garlic in a keg, will it make... garlic juice? Dare I try?

You could always mod in brewing variety. Or add in a moonshiners bathtub that really brings out the "will this make me go blind" quality of hooch. And maybe even make it something you can only sell to the smuggler trader because gramps ain't touching anything illegal.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^An excellent idea, I'm terrible at modding but might give it a try anyway. Add in some periodically-exploding stills while I'm at it.

Also, if I'm doing the math right (data taken from the wiki), Starfruit Wine should sell for 2400g - 3600 with Artisan! Not loving bad, for an initial investment of 400g. Guess I know what I'm growing other then hops next summer.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of mods to add variety, did the developer talked about adding new content to the game? Coming from Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, it seems pretty sparse, specially the crafting part. I understand is a one-man effort and I'm nitpicking, but whatever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Next summer I'm just gonna plant all Star Fruits. Their g/day is ridiculous, and they take 13 days to grow, so they require little maintenance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So if I upgrade my watering can will I have no can for a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

So if I upgrade my watering can will I have no can for a few days?

You can still water your crops if you upgrade the day before it rains.

Day 0: Water your crops, upgrade your can
Day 1: Rain!
Day 2: Go pick up your can, water your crops.

Otherwise, you just lose a day of growth. No big deal.