Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Twice is really funny.

"You mean me? Sorry to say, not happening! I'm interested in myself too!"
"These brats! I know them! Who are they?"

He and Spinner are my favorite villains for sure. His mannerisms are so great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Twice reminds me of Spiderman, both in terms of build and attitude

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh man, something else I just had pointed out for me:

That Noumu is holding on to one of Ragdoll's cat ears.

She didn't have a combat-oriented perk...given how lethal that guy looked, she might very well be dead.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So a bit of speculation: What if AFO has a similar restriction on its taking of quirks as OFA has for transferring and that's why the villains wanted blood to be collected?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eopia posted:

So a bit of speculation: What if AFO has a similar restriction on its taking of quirks as OFA has for transferring and that's why the villains wanted blood to be collected?

I think that's just something that Toga does.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think that's just something that Toga does.

Yes, but I'm assuming there has to be some purpose to collecting the blood since that seems to be the sole reason she was brought along.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Oh man, something else I just had pointed out for me:

That Noumu is holding on to one of Ragdoll's cat ears.

She didn't have a combat-oriented perk...given how lethal that guy looked, she might very well be dead.

Considering what the Noumu was saying, it sounded like he could have still been looking for her after an escape, so she could still be alive. I hope.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
From what she was saying, she probably has some sort of copying or shapeshifting quirk that requires buckets of the target's blood.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Countblanc posted:

Twice reminds me of Spiderman, both in terms of build and attitude

I came into this thread to just post this! He's totally an evil Spiderman-- down to build, attitude, and even gestures. It's great!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was thinking more along the lines of Deadpool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Deadpool.

Deadpool is already basically anti-hero Spider-man with swearing

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Guy A. Person posted:

Deadpool is already basically anti-hero Spider-man with swearing

Deadpool and Spiderman are both obviously snarky. Is it deeper than that?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Deadpool and Spiderman are both obviously snarky. Is it deeper than that?

Nah not really, that and the similar costume/build. They're both apt comparisons for Twice.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can't help but wonder what the kids' plan is. Didn't they just jump directly into the middle of all the bad guys? They better have an exit strategy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HellCopter posted:

I can't help but wonder what the kids' plan is. Didn't they just jump directly into the middle of all the bad guys? They better have an exit strategy.

The plan was just to jump on Mr Compress. I don't think they knew about the other bad guys.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mr. Compress is so cool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HellCopter posted:

If they can extract Tokoyami and Bakugou from the Magician's balls, then they have the villains outnumbered.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Say Nothing posted:

extract Tokoyami and Bakugou from the Magician's balls

I've found my new euphemism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The villains have repeatedly said that even if they fail at their goal they win because just showing up shakes things up. Lots of the kids and a couple of the actual heroes got hurt.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Knowing the characters Deku is probably gonna emphasize getting the balls and getting the hell out because of their curret injuries. I'm gonna predict that they get Bakugou and Tokoyami but Deku gets captured letting his friends get away.

Cue the Rescue Deku Arc. Has there ever been a shonen manga where the rescue arc was of the main character?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bondster posted:

Knowing the characters Deku is probably gonna emphasize getting the balls and getting the hell out because of their curret injuries. I'm gonna predict that they get Bakugou and Tokoyami but Deku gets captured letting his friends get away.

Cue the Rescue Deku Arc. Has there ever been a shonen manga where the rescue arc was of the main character?

The main character in Attack on Titan gets captured multiple times, but I don't remember it really fitting into the standard Rescue Arc structure.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 6, 2016

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't really see the point in kidnapping Deku. Big lips was even ready to downright kill him when he got in the way.
What good would dragging a crippled Deku over to their headquarters?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I don't really see the point in kidnapping Deku. Big lips was even ready to downright kill him when he got in the way.
What good would dragging a crippled Deku over to their headquarters?

Learning more about One for All would be a pretty good reason to capture Deku, although I doubt the villains are aware of that. That's why Magne tried to kill Deku, he thinks he's expendable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That's how you know all for one isn't directly involved with any of this. If he looked into yuuei he would figure out that Deku had all for one in about 30 seconds, and then he would definitely be interested in capturing or killing him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Does all for one even know about one for all? It's not totally clear if he does or not.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's never been explicitly stated that I recall, but it's been heavily implied - and given the history of All For One and One For All I'd be incredibly surprised if he didn't know about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plus, I think it's been all but outright stated that he and All Might crippled each other. Hence why he's missing a fair amount of his head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think a previous 14a believed that they had killed a41. All might's mysterious adversary was someone else.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Plus, I think it's been all but outright stated that he and All Might crippled each other. Hence why he's missing a fair amount of his head.

All Might got injured by a guy called Venom Chainsaw, iirc.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I think that was a mistranslation that was fixed in the official version.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Ahahaha, Toga's face in the last panel. It's hard to see but she's ecstatic to see Deku again.

Plot twist: it's actually Shouji she's got her eye on. But seriously, I did think it odd that in the panel where she notices Deku that Shouji was curiously prominent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

It's never been explicitly stated that I recall, but it's been heavily implied - and given the history of All For One and One For All I'd be incredibly surprised if he didn't know about it.
It's kinda implied because AFO knows All Might is getting weaker but given they apparently nearly killed each other last time they fought it could just be because AFO knows he gravely wounded him to the point that even if he lived it did permanent damage.

All Might mentioned AFO never knew about his brothers quirk, so it could potentially still be a secret.

I'm something of the opinion that he doesn't know because if he has paid any attention to the class it should be hilariously obvious that Midoriya is the new OFA holder. Also his obsession with killing All Might still being there, and Midoriya not being numero uno on the hitlist kinda indicates this. If he knew about OFA, defeating All Might would be as simple as just waiting- it's not like AFO doesn't have time to spare.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 7, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

chaos rhames posted:

All Might got injured by a guy called Venom Chainsaw, iirc.

even in the fan translation he literally says 'like some chump like that could beat me' over the Venom Chainsaw question.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda implied because AFO knows All Might is getting weaker but given they apparently nearly killed each other last time they fought it could just be because AFO knows he gravely wounded him to the point that even if he lived it did permanent damage.

All Might mentioned AFO never knew about his brothers quirk, so it could potentially still be a secret.

I'm something of the opinion that he doesn't know because if he has paid any attention to the class it should be hilariously obvious that Midoriya is the new OFA holder. Also his obsession with killing All Might still being there, and Midoriya not being numero uno on the hitlist kinda indicates this. If he knew about OFA, defeating All Might would be as simple as just waiting- it's not like AFO doesn't have time to spare.

To the general public who don't know how OFA works, Deku just has a similar quirk to All Might, and could be related to him genetically. Lots of people have similar quirks, like those two guys who can harden their skin. Even among those who know OFA can be passed on, the strength and speed it grants are traits shared by plenty of other quirks so it can probably be quite hard to tell that it is in fact OFA.

On a slight tangent, does All For One straight up steal powers or does it copy them? If it copies them, I'd guess that he got the ability to give people quirks by copying it from his brother.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Double post whoops

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I think what this comes down to is that AFO has to know how OFA works and could recognize it, because he's the central villain and has fought against it to a deadly conclusion in the past. He just doesn't care if it's being transferred right now, or at least assumes that All Might hasn't trained up a suitable vessel yet. And he's kind of right.

AFO's attention seems to be elsewhere at the moment.

Slime posted:

On a slight tangent, does All For One straight up steal powers or does it copy them? If it copies them, I'd guess that he got the ability to give people quirks by copying it from his brother.
If I recall correctly he straight up steals them. If nothing else, it's far more appropriate for the setting that he steals them. It also fits the name better and serves as a better contrast to OFA.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slime posted:

Isn't the back story that no one knew the brother had a quirk at all, because being able to pass on the quirk that's nothing but being able to pass on quirks is unnoticeable.

All For One just had both the ability to take and give, which was actually noticeable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't remember but is it the case that one for all can pass on any quirks and its most likely the situation that everyone has been quirkless so its just super strength?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Deku and All Might don't even seem that similar to the casual observer. Deku has some weird masochistic quirk that breaks his limbs. All Might is just universally superhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he was looking into it at all he would look for people with generic super strength. Also, Deku being quirkless before wasn't really a secret, so anyone who actually tried looking for 14a's successor would find him in a heartbeat.