Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Shifty Nipples posted:

Chicken wire also rusts and falls apart if you look at it wrong.

Can't confirm this. Ours has been up for 4 years now, with healthy snow and rain amounts and there are no signs of rust. It's zinc plated though, so maybe that makes the difference. I imagine it would have been gone in the first year if it wasn't plated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Velvet Sparrow posted:

my car is norris, usually when it comes to roos and city codes not allowing them, the issue tends to fall under noise ordinances since roos love that 4:30AM crowing thing. I don't know what problem it might cause in your flock that you are referring to, but your girls can get along perfectly well without a roo.

No flock yet -- just dreaming and plotting for the future.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

What a great photo! :monocle:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hey santa baby posted:

Can't confirm this. Ours has been up for 4 years now, with healthy snow and rain amounts and there are no signs of rust. It's zinc plated though, so maybe that makes the difference. I imagine it would have been gone in the first year if it wasn't plated.

This is it. The normal chicken wire is hot garbage. The plated/coated stuff does alright, but it's still fairly thin wire so like, just keep that in mind for projects. I see tons of people use it for stupid rear end reasons (bottoms of rabbit cages, for instance) and it goes to pieces in no time flat.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Chicken wire also rusts and falls apart if you look at it wrong.

but will it stop hawks and paratrooper racoons?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Miso Beno posted:

but will it stop hawks and paratrooper racoons?

Using chicken wire instead of hardware cloth lost me two chickens to what I presume was a racoon so hey whatever guys do what you want.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Using chicken wire instead of hardware cloth lost me two chickens to what I presume was a racoon so hey whatever guys do what you want.

I'm planning on using hardware cloth for the sides of the run and to cover the ventilation in the coop. I was initially going to cover the top of the run in hardware cloth but man hardware cloth is a ton of cash and I saw quite a few recommendations for netting.

Unizee
Dec 7, 2010
I was planning on just using the chicken wire as a way of keeping them out of the front yard, something that I could move easily when I bring the tractor in to mow or whatever. Hmm. I wonder if short garden fencing like the white decorative stuff would keep them in the back or if they'd hop over it. I can't imagine there's anything more fun in the front yard than the back yard that they'd want that badly.

I put hardware cloth over the windows on the coop. I have screens as well but ain't nuthin like hardware cloth to keep out raccoons.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Raccoons can easily tear through chicken wire. You need hardware cloth to keep out raccoons.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

Raccoons can easily tear through chicken wire. You need hardware cloth to keep out raccoons.

Yup. And raccoons are smart little bastards, they'll find any weak spots in the wire and exploit them. Once they get in and kill a chicken or two, they go and tell their friends who all show up a night or three later and kill the rest of your flock.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Saturday 2/27 1:22 pm MST There are chickens on CHICKAM!

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.
Anyone got any advice for dealing with a cannibalistic hen? One of our hens was attacked by a hawk a little over a month ago. Miraculously we managed to catch it in the act and scare the hawk off before it did much more damage besides some plucked feathers and puncture wounds. We kept the hen inside for two weeks to heal and when she was her normal feisty self (and laying eggs!) we started to introduce her back to the flock.

We put her in at night so she could sleep with the rest of the ladies. The next morning we let them out and within an hour or so they had torn one of her healed over puncture wounds on her back to poo poo and were eating it. She was bleeding profusely so she came back inside for another 2 weeks to heal. We partitioned the run off so that she has her own little space she goes to during the day so the chickens can still see her and we've been putting her in the coop with the ladies at night. Everything is going smoothly and it looks like pecking order has been established and everyone is cool with each other EXCEPT we have one hen who has a singleminded focus to eat her back. If we let them out of the run to free range the yard, this hen will come running to peck at her back if we try to let the injured hen out. If we don't get to the coop at the right time in the morning or put the injured hen away to early at night, this hen just sits there and eats. So the wound is worse.

Any tips for dealing with this hen? The other two ladies are totally fine with the injured hen by now and not a problem. I read it might be a protein deficiency in the hen's diet so I've been feeding her cooked hamburger but that doesn't seem to help. We've tried spraying the wound with that purple Wound Kote stuff which I know is bitter but she just plows right through the stuff. Right now the only thing I can think of is to fashion her some type of protective sweater or vest or something just so the wound isn't visible and easy for this hen to get at.

LevelC
Feb 20, 2011
Any chance for chicken voyeurism today?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ashwat posted:

Right now the only thing I can think of is to fashion her some type of protective sweater or vest or something just so the wound isn't visible and easy for this hen to get at.

You can buy pre-made chicken saddles. There's a lot listed under Google shopping.

Or google "chicken saddle pattern" and there's some patterns you could make if you're good at sewing.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

Inveigle posted:

You can buy pre-made chicken saddles. There's a lot listed under Google shopping.

Or google "chicken saddle pattern" and there's some patterns you could make if you're good at sewing.

This is exactly what I need! Thanks. I'm crap with sewing so I'll just get one online, they're not very expensive either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ashwat posted:

Anyone got any advice for dealing with a cannibalistic hen? One of our hens was attacked by a hawk a little over a month ago. Miraculously we managed to catch it in the act and scare the hawk off before it did much more damage besides some plucked feathers and puncture wounds. We kept the hen inside for two weeks to heal and when she was her normal feisty self (and laying eggs!) we started to introduce her back to the flock.

We put her in at night so she could sleep with the rest of the ladies. The next morning we let them out and within an hour or so they had torn one of her healed over puncture wounds on her back to poo poo and were eating it. She was bleeding profusely so she came back inside for another 2 weeks to heal. We partitioned the run off so that she has her own little space she goes to during the day so the chickens can still see her and we've been putting her in the coop with the ladies at night. Everything is going smoothly and it looks like pecking order has been established and everyone is cool with each other EXCEPT we have one hen who has a singleminded focus to eat her back. If we let them out of the run to free range the yard, this hen will come running to peck at her back if we try to let the injured hen out. If we don't get to the coop at the right time in the morning or put the injured hen away to early at night, this hen just sits there and eats. So the wound is worse.

Any tips for dealing with this hen? The other two ladies are totally fine with the injured hen by now and not a problem. I read it might be a protein deficiency in the hen's diet so I've been feeding her cooked hamburger but that doesn't seem to help. We've tried spraying the wound with that purple Wound Kote stuff which I know is bitter but she just plows right through the stuff. Right now the only thing I can think of is to fashion her some type of protective sweater or vest or something just so the wound isn't visible and easy for this hen to get at.

This is perfectly normal for hens to do and they will kill her (and eat the remains, gleefully). Stop putting the injured hen out until it's healed.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

What a great photo! :monocle:

Aw i missed this, thanks :3

Here's some more shots of our girls

bonus blue egg

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yay blue eggs! You take some amazing pictures.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is perfectly normal for hens to do and they will kill her (and eat the remains, gleefully). Stop putting the injured hen out until it's healed.

Pretty much. "Cannibalistic hen" is repeating yourself. All chooks are cannibals, given sufficient opportunity.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Faerunner posted:

Yay blue eggs! You take some amazing pictures.

Ditto, amazing pictures, beautifully lit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pretty much. "Cannibalistic hen" is repeating yourself. All chooks are cannibals, given sufficient opportunity.

hell, some of them will eat themselves.

We got a lovely polish/easter egger mutt rooster with a few fro feathers at the back of his head. He worries over the chicks running around outside and runs terrified from the guineas but already faced down the drake and won. His name is Hellion and he sleeps on the rabbit cages. I'll see if I can do for pictures.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
one thing nobody ever told me is that roosters aren't born knowing how to crow, so for a few weeks you have straggly adolescents strutting around yelling hurr hurr HURR at each other

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Avshalom posted:

one thing nobody ever told me is that roosters aren't born knowing how to crow, so for a few weeks you have straggly adolescents strutting around yelling hurr hurr HURR at each other

Haha yes! ours looks so proud of himself too. 20 weeks old and he still sounds like a spaz
it's almost as adorable as watching baby chicks huff and puff while they dust bathe

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Avshalom posted:

This is why it took me so long to finally accept I had a rooster and not a majestic hen.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Avshalom posted:

It's always entertaining to watch young roos figure out the crowing thing. We usually had boys that would get *part* of 'cock-a-doodle-do' in the beginning. One would just say 'doodle-do!' over and over, another would just kinda go 'OOOOOoooooooo!' until he ran out of breath.

Then there are the hens that suddenly take to crowing and freak out the roos.... :keke:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Our rooster has a majestic crow...

Now.

But when he started it was this quiet "er er ERrrrrrr."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My mom gave me what is basically the best t-shirt to exist.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

cock weed pie :confused:

(it is my new favourite cutesy partner name)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chicken pot pie.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

/
"hurr HOOOOOOO"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Avshalom posted:

/
"hurr HOOOOOOO"

Bone-white grass and a pile of sticks will always remind me of home :australia:

my cat is norris posted:

Chicken pot pie.

Oh right :downs: (I have never heard anyone say "pot pie" in my life because I'm not American)

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Shifty Nipples posted:

And right before pi day, too!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Where did this wonderful thing come from, please?

VVV Thanks! :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 12, 2016

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Where did this wonderful thing come from, please?

I have found it here.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
Its been a few years since i've last raised poultry. back then I was living in the countryside of central europe and had about an acre to work with.

Nowadays I work in an office and have an apartment here in Canada, so I decided to raise mini poultry that I can keep on the deck.

Last night I acquired 20 quail eggs from a local farm. My incubator setup is a 4 dollar lunch cooler purchased at a thrift store, using a 25w bulb controlled by an stc-1000 to maintain temps.

My goal is to keep around 8 of the hatchlings to see if I can sustain my small family on mostly quail eggs. If i get bored of this project, i'll grow them to full size and eat them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BCBUDDHA posted:

Its been a few years since i've last raised poultry. back then I was living in the countryside of central europe and had about an acre to work with.

Nowadays I work in an office and have an apartment here in Canada, so I decided to raise mini poultry that I can keep on the deck.

Last night I acquired 20 quail eggs from a local farm. My incubator setup is a 4 dollar lunch cooler purchased at a thrift store, using a 25w bulb controlled by an stc-1000 to maintain temps.

My goal is to keep around 8 of the hatchlings to see if I can sustain my small family on mostly quail eggs. If i get bored of this project, i'll grow them to full size and eat them.

If you keep 3 hens to a cock, you'll get good fertility rates and good egg laying. I feed purina game bird startena from the day they're born to the day they die, but you're welcome to try to get a higher protein ration (tell me if you find one that's shipped US and Canada, I legit would like a higher protein) or to try making your own out of farm fish food ground up with other stuff. There's lots of recipes online.

so, basically: oh my god another quail person HI.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you keep 3 hens to a cock, you'll get good fertility rates and good egg laying. I feed purina game bird startena from the day they're born to the day they die, but you're welcome to try to get a higher protein ration (tell me if you find one that's shipped US and Canada, I legit would like a higher protein) or to try making your own out of farm fish food ground up with other stuff. There's lots of recipes online.

haha kk sounds good, i'll start hunting down food in the next few weeks. probably end up going to the Buckerfields store, which is a local chain of feed stores.
I have access to manufacturing grade protein sources, so i might try amending my own feeds.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Whelp, my girlfriend wants chickens, and it's her house so we're getting chickens. Chicks, at first, and they're scheduled to arrive either today or tomorrow. A dozen of an egg layer mix, six silkies, six mixed bantams. We have an indoors area set aside to bring them from chicks to chickens all set up. As far as a chicken coop goes, we're planning on using a wood shed, coverted. So long as it's well ventilated you can convert a wood shed to a coop, right?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CountFosco posted:

Whelp, my girlfriend wants chickens, and it's her house so we're getting chickens. Chicks, at first, and they're scheduled to arrive either today or tomorrow. A dozen of an egg layer mix, six silkies, six mixed bantams. We have an indoors area set aside to bring them from chicks to chickens all set up. As far as a chicken coop goes, we're planning on using a wood shed, coverted. So long as it's well ventilated you can convert a wood shed to a coop, right?

Yes. Just Google "convert a wood shed to a coop" and you'll get loads of ideas on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is what I got for food, big 3 kilo bag for 4 dollars cdn after tax, should hopefully do the job.

Bonus pic, heritage breed chicks at the feed store