Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I like reading other people's notes, sometimes it's insightful.

My copy of To the Lighthouse is full of paragraphs boxed out and "SYMBOLISM ?" written next to it.

yeah, i never write notes because i'm lazy, but i'm always pleased to see that may two-pound Oxfam-bought copy has tons of comments for me to try and decipher and wonder at. unfortunately, it is true that they all end 30 pages in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Back to re-reading, I'm going to try to show why the "I'd rather spend my limited time on new books rather than re-reading old ones" argument doesn't work. You will never read every good book. There will always be masterpieces that you will miss. So not doing something because there are so many books out there doesn't make sense. No matter what you do, there will be pretty much the same number of books you won't read. Instead, you should seek to make each reading experience as deep and enjoyable as possible. And as many people will tell you, a second reading of a novel can open that book up to you in a much deeper way than a first read. So in fact you are losing out even more by not re-reading.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My copy of cyclonopedia that i got from a library withdrawn sale for 50c doesn't have anything written in it, but it does have two(maybe more?) bright pink heart shaped post it notes on certain pages

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Back to re-reading, I'm going to try to show why the "I'd rather spend my limited time on new books rather than re-reading old ones" argument doesn't work. You will never read every good book. There will always be masterpieces that you will miss. So not doing something because there are so many books out there doesn't make sense. No matter what you do, there will be pretty much the same number of books you won't read. Instead, you should seek to make each reading experience as deep and enjoyable as possible. And as many people will tell you, a second reading of a novel can open that book up to you in a much deeper way than a first read. So in fact you are losing out even more by not re-reading.

Actually if we accept the number of readable books to be large but finite then you are making progress however small towards reading all the books every time you read a different book from one you read before. You are 1/the number of books closer to your goal than you were.

In contrast, the number of times you can read and thereby gain a better understanding of any one book is infinite, so every time you read that one book you are making an essentially meaningless contribution to the task of understanding that one book. You are 1/infinity closer to your goal, which is practically nil.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Who ruined the thread title

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The question to be asked is: Which one gives me more gamerscore?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Heath posted:

Who ruined the thread title

What thread title? This has always been the thread title.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nakar posted:

The question to be asked is: Which one gives me more gamerscore?

If the Reading Challenge thread has taught me anything, it's that reading as many books as you can as fast as possible is the best way to "level up" your reading.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Found a book on the Hundred Years' War in the library last term in which three separate hands carried on a debate, complete with citations, regarding Charles XII's fear of floors. It was capped off by a fourth hand which had written 'what the hell are you idiots talking about'

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

If the Reading Challenge thread has taught me anything, it's that reading as many books as you can as fast as possible is the best way to "level up" your reading.

also, you can grind comic books for the same amount of exp but less effort than novels

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

End Of Worlds posted:

Found a book on the Hundred Years' War in the library last term in which three separate hands carried on a debate, complete with citations, regarding Charles XII's fear of floors. It was capped off by a fourth hand which had written 'what the hell are you idiots talking about'

I wish I found stuff like this. Mostly it's people being utterly confused by random things, like my copy of "The Wall" where someone did a really lovely Freudian reading of one of the stories in the margins while missing the actual surface level plot elements, and then for some reason on the rear flyleaf they wrote a miniature biography of Sartre that begins with:

"Jean Paul Satre (sic) - (1905 - ???)" which is pretty funny, though I guess now that I think about it, it probably means these notes were written before 1980, which is kinda cool. Also once I saw someone correct a misquoted Bukowski line on a public urinal divider. Welp, that's my marginalia story!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I feel like the books with the best marginalia are the ones that don't tend to end up in the hands of anyone but the owner, so nobody ever sees them until they end up in an estate sale.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So, Man Booker International prize (formerly Independent Foreign Fiction Prize) has decided to double down on big hits with hardly any surprises in the longlist, but it also works as a great list of the main recent translations, so hey it's not bad. I have almost half of those but haven't gotten around to any.

Death by Water by Ōe Kenzaburō, tr. Deborah Boliner Boem
The Four Books by Yan Lianke, tr. Carlos Rojas
A General Theory of Oblivion by José Eduardo Agualusa, tr. Daniel Hahn
Ladivine by Marie NDiaye, tr. Jordan Stump
Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan, tr. Labodalih Sembiring
Mend the Living (US title: The Heart) by Maylis de Kerangal, tr. Jessica Moore
The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante, tr. Ann Goldstein
A Strangeness in My Mind by Orhan Pamuk, tr. Ekin Oklap
Tram 83 by Fiston Mwanza Mujila, tr. Roland Glasser
The Vegetarian by Han Kang, tr. Deborah Smith
A Cup of Rage by Raduan Nassar, tr. Stefan Tobler
White Hunger by Aki Ollikainen, tr. Emily and Fleur Jeremiah
A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler, tr. Charlotte Collins

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 10, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
The Vegetarian is great, you should read and then become a tree.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
In the books from my university library you can oftentimes see how popular a chapter is for assignments from the density of notes. Sometimes you can guess the nature of the assignment but I have never found anything particularly interesting. One exception was Brave New World: The image of generation after generation of students reading the same chapters on assignment, marking the same paragraphs dealing with conformity, really added to the reading experience.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

true.spoon posted:

Brave New World: The image of generation after generation of students reading the same chapters on assignment, marking the same paragraphs dealing with conformity, really added to the reading experience.

Lol.

I didn't really see it mentioned much on the internet but I really liked S. by Dorst and Abrams. The text was fine but the marginalia was fun to read and decipher and following the story of the readers was an interesting way to read a book.

I can't put Ferrante down - I'm on the third book and it's just an absolute delight to read...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I can't put Ferrante down - I'm on the third book and it's just an absolute delight to read...

Delight is a weird word for the experience I am having with the series.

Its excellent but goddamn is it emotionally painful.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

true.spoon posted:

In the books from my university library you can oftentimes see how popular a chapter is for assignments from the density of notes. Sometimes you can guess the nature of the assignment but I have never found anything particularly interesting. One exception was Brave New World: The image of generation after generation of students reading the same chapters on assignment, marking the same paragraphs dealing with conformity, really added to the reading experience.

People who mark in library books are scum

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

People who mark in library books are scum

I've marked and added notations in books from my college library several times. I only use a pencil, tho

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If you want unmarked book just buy it
#trump

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Buying books is the elite tier reading experience

Libraries are for vagabonds and dilettantes

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In my city libraries are just internet cafes for the homeless

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
In my city our library was in Ghostbusters

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Look at this poo poo. People are so selfish

http://i.imgur.com/BjqUEYY.jpg

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

Ugh the moment your highlighting becomes colouring in, it's not highlighting anymore

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That's a non-fiction college text though which makes perfect sense to mark all to hell and back because you are explicitly studying with it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's a non-fiction college text though which makes perfect sense to mark all to hell and back because you are explicitly studying with it.

Except it doesn't belong solely to that person. They should be taking notes on a separate paper or making photocopies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Except it doesn't belong solely to that person. They should be taking notes on a separate paper or making photocopies

Oh I didn't know it was a library book I thought you bought it used yeah what the hell

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

blue squares posted:

If you're highlighting more than 1/3rd of the entire loving page just put a sticky note on it jfc. Like what is the purpose of being like "hmm everything on this page seems important, better highlight everything except this sentence so I remember"

Re: libraries as homeless shelters. I've only recently moved here and spent the day at the library yesterday and it does seem to be 90% homeless people hanging out and reading or using the computers and frankly I am glad that they can do that.

Heath fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 10, 2016

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Marginalia and highlights are fantastic. All of you that don't like it, please give me your address so I can come by and draw all over your books. I will show no mercy.

Also can you pay for my travel tia

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gorn Myson posted:

Marginalia and highlights are fantastic. All of you that don't like it, please give me your address so I can come by and draw all over your books. I will show no mercy.

Also can you pay for my travel tia

What is the point of ]* over three quarters of the page instead of just marking the page

Edit: lol at "Bush." though.

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Delight is a weird word for the experience I am having with the series.

Its excellent but goddamn is it emotionally painful.

I think that the writing and the framing and the way she captures internal conflict/dialogue is beautiful even if the subject matter is tough to read. In a way, I see a lot of my own experiences in the story which is also making it so I just can't put them down. I'm only on the third one, though, so we'll see.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Am I supposed to enjoy reading Fernando Pessoa or am I supposed to feel dead inside

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Heath posted:

Am I supposed to enjoy reading Fernando Pessoa or am I supposed to feel dead inside

Depends who you are reading

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

that's a false dichotomy

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Heath posted:

If you are taking his personas seriously & non-ironically (i.e. emo aspects of book of disquiet), then yes, you're doing it wrong

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
maybe you should read the book of quiet instead.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
but no, the book of disquiet won't take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride; it's all about finely observed melancholy details of life, so feeling dead inside might actually be a good response. it might help if you distance yourself a bit from the text and imagine the persona pessoa is projecting thru these texts, and then the passages being the thoughts of this simulated person.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I finally started reading the copy of Against the Day I've had for ages, and the names of the characters alone make the book worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When I read the passage in AtD about people secretly dipping harmonicas in water to get them to sound different and looked it up, I realized that Tommy P. literally knows everything about anything.