Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

tunah posted:

I have a 1:12 car waiting to be built but I'm too afraid to mess it up, and I'm sure it wasn't even close to as expensive as the one you have there. I hope you keep us posted, it looks awesome!

Don't be intimidated by 1/12 cars. The large scale actually makes them very simple to work with. Serious builders (autists) love them because it's easier to super detail a 1/12 than a 1/24 or 1/20. What kit is it? I'm guessing a Tamiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So, what exactly in that Ferrari kit is light sensitive, and do you have to assemble in a darkroom? I'm imaging a thread in Dorkroom with car parts and very confused photographers.

Several of the parts are prepainted. Anything "blue" in the picture below has already been painted and gloss coated. In fact, one can opt not to paint any parts at all and the car will still look great. Which is exactly what I'll be doing (because I really can't start airbrushing in the office).

The idea is to ensure there are no colour differences from leaving out some of those prepainted parts in the sun and keeping others in the dark. This build is going to take a while. Pocher says about 40 man hours for an out of box build. There's transkits out for this kit that add so much stuff I've seen people spend years building it. Not going to happen with mine, at least not right now.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

In fact, here's a sped up video of the entire assembly sequence (it's for the non roadster version, but the process is largely the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZK8bzWe2c

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Greyhawk posted:

Don't do that, you'll never start it. There'll always be that little voice going "I'm not good enough yet, I'm going to mess it up."

That's me right now. I have a nice resin/PE upgrade set for a T-34-85 but I keep putting it off since I want to do an amazing job at it. I should probably start when my crew comes in, but then there aren't that many 85 mm shells in the kit, and I should probably buy more and hmm only the turret has an interior, maybe I should buy one for the fighting compartment, and so on and so on.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I have a Zvezda Su-27SM that I want to bling out with photoetch and such but I feel like I'm far too much of a scrub to risk ruining a good kit. :(

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
You have to take the plunge eventually. I won't lie, you'll probably make atleast one gently caress up, but you gotta start somewhere. I've been using PE for a few years now but a full on multimedia kit is still intimidating.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Buy some S-model quickbuild wargaming kits. They're about two tanks for 10 units currency, and they come with photo etch you can practice with.

Greyhawk posted:

I like the concept of receiving a huge box containing a tiny box.
Due to how Amazon ship stuff I once got a four foot by two foot by six inch box which contained a single six inch by six inch by four foot box the length of one side, and a single small Transformers figure rattling around the other three and a half feet worth of empty space. :iiam:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is this nifty? https://imgur.com/dpPIeLC

I got this from my Great Aunt's house a few years back after she passed. My Great Uncle would have been the one working on it, and he passed away around 1990. I think it's pretty cool that it has an electric motor in the transmission. I'll probably build it when I get bored with the model railroad stuff for a bit.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Very nifty.

It looks like you're missing the instructions. If so, those are here: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/2/8/195628-92-instructions.pdf

EDIT: Also some history on the kit: https://erix7.home.xs4all.nl/rx7kits/min11201.html

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 16, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Greyhawk posted:

Very nifty.

It looks like you're missing the instructions. If so, those are here: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/2/8/195628-92-instructions.pdf

They're stuck to the top half of the void, but the PDF is probably better.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Added a lot more very tiny stuff to the Ducati. This is where the kit starts taking off the training gloves and goes "Sure hope you know what you're doing, bud". The decal on the battery might look weird, that's because its one of the victims of the previous owner. I cut it down to salvage what I could instead of leaving the battery bare.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Greyhawk posted:

Added a lot more very tiny stuff to the Ducati. This is where the kit starts taking off the training gloves and goes "Sure hope you know what you're doing, bud". The decal on the battery might look weird, that's because its one of the victims of the previous owner. I cut it down to salvage what I could instead of leaving the battery bare.

Man, these updates are making me want to dig out the Yamaha I started a while back. Looks great!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of missing instructions, does anyone have them for the CyberHobby Firefly Ic Hybrid? Mine are missing step 2, which is unfortunate, as I can't seem to figure out how to stick the rear hull plate on without them. It looks like it should slide into the rear of the hull tub, but it's several mm too wide to do that and the idler mounts make it impossible to install any other way.

Edit: the solution turned out to be deceptively simple: the cyberhobbby instructions squeezed step 1 and 2 from the Dragon instructions together, leaving out #2 and skipping straight to #3. The fitting issues came from the plate I was trying to fit being from a completely different Sherman.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 16, 2016

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Don't do that, you'll never start it. There'll always be that little voice going "I'm not good enough yet, I'm going to mess it up." Turns out it's actually quite hard to mess things up bad enough they become unrecoverable. To wit, the Ducati I'm working on has been thoroughly messed up by the previous owner, broken parts, things cut from the sprue than doused in superglue and thrown back into the box where those parts glued themselves to other parts and so on. Guy had a bit of a meltdown there. But, it turns out quite ok with a bit of TLC.

You're right about that. I think I need to build more kits at the same time, by the time a kit is finished I'm sick of it.
I also have a half built glue bomb found at a garage sale, perhaps I should give that a shot. That Ducati is looking great!

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Don't be intimidated by 1/12 cars. The large scale actually makes them very simple to work with. Serious builders (autists) love them because it's easier to super detail a 1/12 than a 1/24 or 1/20. What kit is it? I'm guessing a Tamiya.

I stumbled upon a Revell Ford Shelby GT500 2010 1:12 for $25 (still brand new), so I just had to buy it. When I started a couple of years ago I built 1:32 cars and building a 1:24 car felt huge.
This GT500 will take up most of my office shelf. The 1:8 Pocher kit that Greyhawk is building (thought it was 1:12 at first) must be enormous!
Which brand do you recommend for 1:12 kits or rather, do you know which ones gets a bad rep? :)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

tunah posted:

I stumbled upon a Revell Ford Shelby GT500 2010 1:12 for $25 (still brand new), so I just had to buy it. When I started a couple of years ago I built 1:32 cars and building a 1:24 car felt huge.
This GT500 will take up most of my office shelf. The 1:8 Pocher kit that Greyhawk is building (thought it was 1:12 at first) must be enormous!
Which brand do you recommend for 1:12 kits or rather, do you know which ones gets a bad rep? :)

I've not built it, but that Shelby you have is well reviewed. Revell's other 1/12's are all German, so they're good. Tamiya makes very good ones, but they're all Formula One cars. Italeri recently released a few that are very nice if you like 1920's cars.

Honestly the majority of brands making 1/12 kits are all pretty good, with the possible exception of some old Tamiya and Protar kits, but you won't find those unless you're specifically looking for them. If you're ever interested in taking it to the next level and have several hundred dollars to spend, Model Factory Hiro is the best of the best.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Enough about your fancy cars! When is the auto show that features nothing by Diahatsu trucks?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Avro Shackleton fans! Revell Germany did indeed make a new 1/72 Shackleton kit. So just like when both Trumpeter and Revell made kits of the Fairey Gannet, your cup overflowith!

They also re-released their old kit of a Typhoon Class submarine, 1/400. When I was a kid I built it as the Red October.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
That F4U-4 looks pretty nice, I had been eyeing the current release but this version looks even better. The ERJ 195 also looks neat, and since I like passenger airplanes(recently finished the Revell Airbus A350) it's something for the wishlist as well. Gonna wait for some reviews first though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm looking for something like this except smaller. Does anyone know where I'd get such a thing? I basically want to stick a 1/72nd figure on top and make a little fountain around it for a Flames of War objective marker.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm looking for something like this except smaller. Does anyone know where I'd get such a thing? I basically want to stick a 1/72nd figure on top and make a little fountain around it for a Flames of War objective marker.

How about a HO (1/85) scale statue or fountain?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/kib/kib38151.htm

Lots and loots of NWS boob statues if you google for it, for some reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

How about a HO (1/85) scale statue or fountain?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/kib/kib38151.htm

Lots and loots of NWS boob statues if you google for it, for some reason.
That might actually be too wide of a footprint but I can't quite tell. Is there any way to get dimensions on that stuff?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

That might actually be too wide of a footprint but I can't quite tell. Is there any way to get dimensions on that stuff?

No idea. There are some other fountains available as well, but drat, train stuff is more expensive than I thought. Might be cheaper finding an alternative solution, or building it from scratch.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smoke posted:

That F4U-4 looks pretty nice, I had been eyeing the current release but this version looks even better. The ERJ 195 also looks neat, and since I like passenger airplanes(recently finished the Revell Airbus A350) it's something for the wishlist as well. Gonna wait for some reviews first though.

Have you posted pictures? I demand pictures :nixon:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Here's a few. To be honest, I didn't feel like mixing up the paints for the wings(and I lacked one of them anyway) so I just stuck with the base grey component, which is somewhat visible because of the sharklet decals.

EDIT: That's all handbrushed by the way, I'm nowhere near as good yet as some of the stuff I see posted in here so I'm kinda reluctant to post things I've made.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 17, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nice. I'm building an airliner right now, and I can tell you one thing about model airliners:

the callout sheet will always say the front of the turbofan is "aluminum", and it is almost always wrong. (The A350 might be a genuine exception as it's a prototype an' all.)

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I think your brushwork looks just great. Maybe need to mask a little better between different colours but otherwise it's really good. No streaks, no puddles, no spots.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Tiny U-boat!

This was the Hobby Boss Type VIIC in 1/350 scale. Despite Hobby Boss having a not-quite-stellar reputation for quality (cf. their 1/700 USS Arizona), this is actually one of the better U-boat kits i've ever built. The conning tower deck is fully photoetched, and pretty much all of the railings had both polystyrene and brass options included. I ended up using the brass photoetch for all of it. The only sour spot is the poorly fitting rudder frame, but that was easily resolved by cutting one of the rails up to build a replacement. That, and the initial paint job got peeled away by the masking tape, so I ended up freehanding the whole thing. I'm gonna do the Type IXC from the same line next, maybe with a bit more color.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Got the front fork up.

I think that cover looks a bit too plasticky still, especially because the can color is exactly the same as the sprue itself. But then again so is the original...

I don't know. Add another gloss coat maybe? Or go full on Ferrari Red and mix in a bit of black and steel? That combo worked pretty well when I had a similar problem with some train wheels a while ago (see below)

EDIT:

I have that same U boat kit in the stash. There's a surprising amount of PE in there for a kit this cheap. You did a great job on it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Smoke posted:

EDIT: That's all handbrushed by the way, I'm nowhere near as good yet as some of the stuff I see posted in here so I'm kinda reluctant to post things I've made.

This owns, I thought I was looking at reference photos until I enlarged the thumbnail. :justpost:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Here's a few older examples then. Someday I'm gonna have to sit down and try some weathering/washing techniques. These are all going back in time from the first one, the Airbus is the most recent thing I've built.

Revell Bell OH-58D Kiowa. Gaps are mostly because it's an older mold with its fair share of issues.

Revell F-16C. Unfortunately the nose came damaged in-box.

Revell F-104G Starfighter. I'm not that great at camo yet either, and I have no idea what happened to the orange parts.

Revell USS Intrepid, 1944 version. I delayed painting this one for a long time because of the dazzle camo.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

That Pocher Aventador kit is pretty detailed

Original and model side by side

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What does it say that I noticed a bunch of differences right away?

Maybe I read too many Highlights magazines as a kid?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

What does it say that I noticed a bunch of differences right away?

Maybe I read too many Highlights magazines as a kid?

There's several versions of that console around. Particularly the plate around the ignition and the lower buttons is available in black, carbon or silver apparently.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Guess what!!!

super excited.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

^^^^ NICE!

Great , ripped apart part of the main frame of the Ducati when foolishly trying to force on the headlights over a paint bump. Seems salvageable, but I really should know better....

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

^^^^ NICE!

Great , ripped apart part of the main frame of the Ducati when foolishly trying to force on the headlights over a paint bump. Seems salvageable, but I really should know better....

ooooooh, that's gotta rip out your heart. I hope it's salvageable, that was shaping up real nice.

For the crap cars, I have an idea for the Mira

maybe...

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Jonny Nox posted:

ooooooh, that's gotta rip out your heart. I hope it's salvageable, that was shaping up real nice.

For the crap cars, I have an idea for the Mira

maybe...

CrapCar Owner's Club gonna own bones

Ps y'all just in case - hobby link japan is having a rolling sale at the moment

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So a guy on Model Ship World has been tasked with selling a collection of model kits for an estate. Apparently the dead person actually just collected kits, didn't build them (it's weird, but I guess is actually a thing, who knew).

There are a few wooden ships, but it's mostly plastic stuff. Not sure if it's appropriate to post the list here or not? It's a total of 181 kits, various subjects but no armor that I see. Mostly cars, planes, some ships, ships guns, a few trains. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you the list and contact information to make offers. I believe the collection is located in Chicago (where they would ship from), but the guy handling this is in Montreal.

I could post a link to a PDF file or Excel spreadsheet (which has a few select asking prices, which are negotiable), or just dump it in a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Dump it, it'll probably be easier.