Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted:

real smart guys fly to japan to get the merch on the cheap

A superdeformed Azunyan plush doll is still my favourite souvenir from my two trips to Japan. And yes, it was much cheaper than from all those import shops.

This one:
http://www.play-asia.com/k-on-super-dx-plush-doll-azusa/13/703m8g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So are you calling the chibi design of that model super deformed or did you get a something like factory reject plushy with offset eyes and inconsistent stuffing?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

So are you calling the chibi design of that model super deformed or did you get a something like factory reject plushy with offset eyes and inconsistent stuffing?

That style's actual name is Super Deformed. Chibi is just japanese for small.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

my azunyan is perfect ok

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

This is great!

I also don't remember a season 4, so I guess I'll just rewatch everything before it airs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

With large eyes and a wide smile, she is one of the most cheerful girls to look at in the morning.

:stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wait, people actually liked asterisk war? I didn't think that was physically possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Wait, people actually liked asterisk war? I didn't think that was physically possible.

I saw the first episode, and it looked like it was at least a slightly more technically competent than average version of that standard cookie-cutter plot, so I could sort of see how people who were new to anime and unfamiliar with all those hoary old tropes might have liked it. Did it seriously drop off a cliff later on?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I saw the first episode, and it looked like it was at least a slightly more technically competent than average version of that standard cookie-cutter plot, so I could sort of see how people who were new to anime and unfamiliar with all those hoary old tropes might have liked it. Did it seriously drop off a cliff later on?

It's just that. All the way through.

I don't understand how anyone whether new to that type of setup or not would be actively excited for the next part beyond maybe a "ah neat, guess maybe I'll keep watching"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

there are people out there with the ability to enjoy things that we do not. a strange, terrifying power.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Motto posted:

there are people out there with the ability to enjoy things that we do not. a strange, terrifying power.

I don't believe you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Motto posted:

I also don't belive you. :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe the cult of digibro is gathering to hatewatch s2 as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess the thing that's surprising to me isn't that it's on the list, just that it's at the top of it.

I wish the fans of it well and hope they all enjoy it. :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

It's just that. All the way through.

I don't understand how anyone whether new to that type of setup or not would be actively excited for the next part beyond maybe a "ah neat, guess maybe I'll keep watching"

How the poll is calculated may be important there, then. If you're allowed a shortlist, or an order of preference, something well-marketed and blandly competent could end up getting a lot of 'well, I guess I kind of liked it' votes. We see that a bit in our very own 'best anime of the year' polls on SA, even if ADTRW's collective tastes are a little different from MAL's.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

maybe the cult of digibro is gathering to hatewatch s2 as well.

they're all going to hatewatch it and then watch that guy's retarded reviews

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

regarding the MAL list, they rank shows by number of people who have the show on their list. so you've got 27k people putting it on as To Watch, but that doesn't determine how many people will actually follow through on it or how much they'll like it. so even after the series airs their rankings are only as accurate as people are willing to update their lists/scores.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How the poll is calculated may be important there, then. If you're allowed a shortlist, or an order of preference, something well-marketed and blandly competent could end up getting a lot of 'well, I guess I kind of liked it' votes. We see that a bit in our very own 'best anime of the year' polls on SA, even if ADTRW's collective tastes are a little different from MAL's.

Ah, the Devil is a Part-timer clause

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

they're all going to hatewatch it and then watch that guy's retarded reviews

I watched the last one because i agree that asterix war is moderately bad, and quite liked failed knight, but i didn't know it was a whole hatewatch thing that goes on and on for longer than the actual mediocre show itself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also there are 100 people who put Asterisk s2 as Watching, On Hold, Dropped, or Completed despite it not actually airing yet. over 500 people have also given the show a score already.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

also there are 100 people who put Asterisk s2 as Watching, On Hold, Dropped, or Completed despite it not actually airing yet. over 500 people have also given the show a score already.

Ladies and gentleman: the internet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

63k people have the first season listed as completed, so you could even consider S2 as quite a drop off in interest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Serious Frolicking posted:

It's cool completely and utterly boring and generic just like all the popular films, tv and music.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Motto posted:

Digibro recently summed up Asterisk as an anime big Mac, produced straight from anime McDonald's known as studio A1 pictures for the unthinking masses because it looks like anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

Digibro recently summed up Asterisk as an anime big Mac, produced straight from anime McDonald's known as studio A1 pictures for the unthinking masses because it looks like anime.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I agree, Digibro is really stupid and bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

people who poo poo on A-1 are incredibly weird, because it's 90% for the shows they make and not the workplace issues they have.

for how little studio actually matters now (another flaw in studio hating), i generally look forward to A-1 stuff because they've done well recently

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
somebody get me an anime big mac for am an unthinking mass and i desire to consume

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Droyer posted:

I agree, Digibro is really stupid and bad.
Please explain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely cannot understand the kind of people who talk about anime as a whole being ~dumbed down for the masses~. Like of course I agree that there are stupid anime things, but it's like the people that say (artist they don't like) means music as a whole BASICALLY is dead compared to (decade they bought their first CD)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Please explain.

Grouchio posted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Please explain.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I genuinely cannot understand the kind of people who talk about anime as a whole being ~dumbed down for the masses~. Like of course I agree that there are stupid anime things, but it's like the people that say (artist they don't like) means music as a whole BASICALLY is dead compared to (decade they bought their first CD)

there's a ridiculous amount of anime being produced so it makes even less sense. there are always going to be good or at least worthwhile shows every season/year.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Big Macs suck. I will only eat an anime Whopper

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the explanation is that I have poo poo taste in reviewers, eh?

If you're so cultured then who would you recommend?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i recommend myself

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

personally, if i want to know if an anime is good, i watch that anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there are no good anime reviewers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

just read this thread, people will post their impressions as shows air and then individual threads get made for stuff that's popular or worth discussing

• Locked thread