Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

What's your point?

So having conceded the point that we can and should provide food to those who cannot feed themselves, you apparently now assert that we intentionally need to make the food taste bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
And they can chase it with Sterno. I see no problem with this.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Yeah I don't know why we would create deliberately gross calorie bars or whatever when we could just give a family a 50 pound bag of beans and a 50 pound bag of rice every three-six months and call it a day

Because then no one would buy beans or rice ever, and you'd end up paying to supply the entire US with beans and rice.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mirthless posted:

Yeah I don't know why we would create deliberately gross calorie bars or whatever when we could just give a family a 50 pound bag of beans and a 50 pound bag of rice every three-six months and call it a day

Because each bite won't be an explicit reminder that the person eating it is worthless scum, which makes sad.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Because then no one would buy beans or rice ever, and you'd end up paying to supply the entire US with beans and rice.

- Things a libertarian business owner actually believes.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I don't know why one would go out of the way to make bitter soylent for poors when we have so much food that could be redistributed as is. Fine businesses for throwing away excess food, and give them a kickback for donating excess food. So what if it hurts their profits as people have more access to free food? I'm sure they'll work out some new stocking regime that will reduce the amount of poo poo they throw out. Since we're talking about incentives.

And so what if there is some rear end in a top hat forever stocking up on free food out there? Most people, like myself, it's demoralizing enough to have to accept charity. You don't have to put a scarlet letter on the poors, jesus.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No, you're not replacing the demand for those staples because the economy doesn't care if the person who buys all of those stables is G or not. This is basic economics.

Also who the gently caress is going to load up on raw beans and rice all day at the post office unless they have to. Like, do public water fountains eliminate the market for running water in homes?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

I don't know why one would go out of the way to make bitter soylent for poors when we have so much food that could be redistributed as is. Fine businesses for throwing away excess food, and give them a kickback for donating excess food. So what if it hurts their profits as people have more access to free food? I'm sure they'll work out some new stocking regime that will reduce the amount of poo poo they throw out. Since we're talking about incentives.

There's a whole thread about this.

Bast Relief posted:

And so what if there is some rear end in a top hat forever stocking up on free food out there? Most people, like myself, it's demoralizing enough to have to accept charity. You don't have to put a scarlet letter on the poors, jesus.

Culture shifts, and people will come to see free bags of food at the post office as just a thing they're due with no stigma.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Subsidizing the production of rice and beans instead of corn would be the downfall of civilization.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

wateroverfire posted:

Culture shifts, and people will come to see free bags of food at the post office as just a thing they're due with no stigma.
And there shouldn't be stigma. You seem very attached to the idea of shame as a motivator against penury. Does that work for you?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

The implicit association being that citizens should be stigmatized for taking societal assistance.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

That's literally what's happening.

Hey look, they colorized that old picture from the Hoover Administration oh wait

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

And there shouldn't be stigma.

There should absolutely be stigma.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This topic is actually a great litmus test for people who are both inhuman monsters and don't understand economics, apparently.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

You are correct, each one of us should bear stigma until homelessness is ended.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
edit: nvm.

This topic is peak D&D.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

wateroverfire posted:

Who cares if they do? It's not like that's gonna bankrupt the country or something. Hell, if we want to just use the ~free market~ to solve the problem, we can just give everyone in the country $10/day to spend on food via an auto-replenishing debit card. it would be about a trillion dollars, but the country can afford that and it beats the hell out of having people be too poor to eat at any point ever.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Filet Mignon? Why would I want that when I could just eat rice and beans?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

wateroverfire posted:

Why?

ETA: Aw nuts, it looks liked he peaced out. That means we can now safely speculate about whether or not he pays women to whip him and call him human garbage.

Bast Relief fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 24, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

This topic is peak D&D.

Is that what you resort to when you've run out of plausible ways to defend your repellent values? Please lecture homeless children about the stigma they should bear.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I can't believe that this is controversial, that being an adult who requires the fruits of other people's labor to survive should not be incentivized.

No one should stigmatize brain-damaged people either, but this doesn't mean that we should encourage otherwise-healthy people to concuss themselves until they are brain damaged.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

wateroverfire posted:

This topic is peak D&D.

A sociopath warning of vague but grave consequences if the destitute don't feel badly enough for getting enough food to survive. Pretty much.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Filet Mignon? Why would I want that when I could just eat rice and beans?

"Oh I need rice and beans anyway, let me go to the post office and I don't have to pay!"

"Hmmm what do we have for dinner tonight...can we encorporate free rice and beans in some way? Yes? Sweet"

Because we have a collective societal interest in transitioning people off of assistance as quickly as possible, when it is at all possible, and that is one element that aids in the transition.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Excuse me, government, please have your workers load several tons of beans and rice into my tumbrel, it's ALL FREE, right?? :smuggo: - a thing that wateroverfire believes will happen if beans and rice become free food staples to the indigent

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

I can't believe that this is controversial, that being an adult who requires the fruits of other people's labor to survive should not be incentivized.

No one should stigmatize brain-damaged people either, but this doesn't mean that we should encourage otherwise-healthy people to concuss themselves until they are brain damaged.

This is quite a sudden pivot to attacking police and the military, but I don't think anyone should bear stigma just for requiring the fruits of other people's labor to survive and producing no value in exchange.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

TheImmigrant posted:

I thought we were talking about the homeless and starving, not business owners.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

Because we have a collective societal interest in transitioning people off of assistance as quickly as possible, when it is at all possible, and that is one element that aids in the transition.

Provide evidence for this claim, not fascist horseshit.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Provide evidence for this claim, not fascist horseshit.

Oh, it's SedanChair.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This is quite a sudden pivot to attacking police and the military, but I don't think anyone should bear stigma just for requiring the fruits of other people's labor to survive and producing no value in exchange.

Do you even believe the poo poo you post?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Oh, it's SedanChair.

Like the scent of the Raffelsia flower, your posts draw him.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
http://quickstats.nass.usda.gov/results/40359582-ECB3-3163-B8E2-EB57715C0F28

3 billion dollars is the total sales value of an entire years rice crop. So even if every single grain of rice was bought for and distributed by the government, which wouldn't even remotely happen, it would be one of the cheapest government programs ever. Literally, no one cares, it's not worth the extra money to make horrible tasting food.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

Oh, it's SedanChair.

Hey, hey, provide some evidence. Everything I've seen indicates that the more you give homeless people (housing, food, health care and job assistance) the more quickly they transition from homelessness, and the more stingy you are with those things the more they remain mired in homelessness.

Do you have any studies that contradict this? And just a reminder, a picture of a caped man in a smart mustache is not a study.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

wateroverfire posted:

"Oh I need rice and beans anyway, let me go to the post office and I don't have to pay!"

"Hmmm what do we have for dinner tonight...can we encorporate free rice and beans in some way? Yes? Sweet"

Would you do this forever if there was no stigma, eat just beans and rice, and never work? What the gently caress is wrong with you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Do you even believe the poo poo you post?

Right back at you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wateroverfire posted:

LMAO. My girlfriend has like all-encompassing low copay insurance for basically everything from the state, because she's a full-time student with no income. You don't see me quitting my job so I can paradoxically afford to finally get the root canal I probably need, though. That's a whole other thing to bitch about, but the point is that I wouldn't trade the autonomy that comes from being gainfully employed for whatever program the government would have to offer my rear end while I live in a van. If anything, I should be mad at my boss for offering us a plan with a $2200 deductible.

You don't become homeless on purpose. Nobody thinks, "It sure would be rad if I had no practical way to provide for myself, and everpresently feel the scornful eye of Something Awful Forums Users as they discuss what foods a person of my low caste should be allowed to eat"

This is like the people who get pissed off when foodstamp programs get used to buy lobster. Assuming that really even happens, who loving cares? That's a calculated move by the person with foodstamps, who is choosing to have a richer meal one day while probably skimping like crazy on several other days. Are we going to establish a caste system where the poor are only allowed to wear utilitarian jumpsuits or can't eat anything not state-certified Poverty Chow, under penalty of one week in the public stockade?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Right back at you.

Listen, as a finance lawyer from a T1 school (lol), he knows what kind of incentives people need to better themselves.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

You don't become homeless on purpose. Nobody thinks, "It sure would be rad if I had no practical way to provide for myself, and everpresently feel the scornful eye of Something Awful Forums Users as they discuss what foods a person of my low caste should be allowed to eat"

Who is talking about just feeding homeless people?

ITT we've been discussing having sacks of staples housed at the post office for people to cart off when they need to and/or literally socializing the food supply.

edit:

Also...you're going to give homeless people sacks of staples to what, cook over their open fires?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

Would you do this forever if there was no stigma, eat just beans and rice, and never work? What the gently caress is wrong with you.

I eat rice and beans as part of my diet. If I could swing by the post office and pick up my rice and beans for free I'd def. do that rather than buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So you'd take societal assistance even though you demonstrably don't need it? Sounds like you're the problem. When I write "for the indigent" I mean for people who have no other source of income and clearly need the help. This isn't difficult.

• Locked thread