Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
your better off just going and buying a swastika decal sheet. not that expensive and last for ever if you only do the odd Luftwaffe subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

big_g posted:

Absolutley correct look at this pic I took at Duxford show not long ago.

To be fair, that isn't even a real 109.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Unkempt posted:

To be fair, that isn't even a real 109.

Well I think my point is still valid that every german plane at the show had a tail design similar to the above and not a full swastica.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So a local hobby store had a grand reopening sale, 40% off one item. Got a few supplies, then thought I'd get a 1:72 Airfix something, ease into a plane kit. But then the sirens song of an 1:48 A-10C kit by Italeri called to me and came home. It's my favorite military aircraft. Now I want to work through my other two tank kits first, but this is the first time I'm considering the photo etch available for one.

Is photo etch as intimidating as it looks? It looks like it'd add incredible detail, but gently caress it looks hard to install.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

big_g posted:

Well I think my point is still valid that every german plane at the show had a tail design similar to the above and not a full swastica.

Surely that's only for replicas/repaints though? I'm pretty sure German museums have (original) planes with swastikas on as exhibits, I went to one in Berlin a few years back.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Surely that's only for replicas/repaints though? I'm pretty sure German museums have (original) planes with swastikas on as exhibits, I went to one in Berlin a few years back.

It looks like the ones in the Luftwaffe museum in Berlin do, but the ones in the Deutches Museum (Munich) don't.

That sort of thing really irritates me for some reason, its like people wanting to take down the Confederate battle flags from battlefield monuments.

Also those 12Z engined 109s are abominations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PirateDentist posted:

So a local hobby store had a grand reopening sale, 40% off one item. Got a few supplies, then thought I'd get a 1:72 Airfix something, ease into a plane kit. But then the sirens song of an 1:48 A-10C kit by Italeri called to me and came home. It's my favorite military aircraft. Now I want to work through my other two tank kits first, but this is the first time I'm considering the photo etch available for one.

Is photo etch as intimidating as it looks? It looks like it'd add incredible detail, but gently caress it looks hard to install.

How huge is it? I only have a Bf 109 in 1:48, but it is huge enough for me. An A-10 must be pretty big?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PirateDentist posted:

Hobby Depot? I was going to go over there and completely forgot about the sale. Nothing I particularly need right now anyway, so it's probably a good thing I didn't go.

In theory I could go tomorrow.. but Easter, so will be going to the family dinner. I'll have to stop by there after work one day next week and see how things look now they they have all the new lighting in.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

PirateDentist posted:

I'm certainly no expert as I've only done it once and admittedly the amount of photo etch on the Dragon Stug III Ausf. B I'm doing was minimal. Depending on the amount (and complexity) of bending I'd rate applying photoetch as easier than applying decals. With CA glue you don't have to hold things together for long before you have a solid bond.

Go for it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been a long time without access to a laser so I'm a bit rusty, haven't drawn up a project for too long. Working on a little modern warehouse. The solid blue areas just have a really dense sheet metal texture on them.

I'll hopefully go cut this tomorrow and then I'll have a kit to build!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

lilljonas posted:

How huge is it? I only have a Bf 109 in 1:48, but it is huge enough for me. An A-10 must be pretty big?

Looks like it'll have around a 14" wingspan, about the same length.

The Locator posted:

Hobby Depot? I was going to go over there and completely forgot about the sale. Nothing I particularly need right now anyway, so it's probably a good thing I didn't go.

In theory I could go tomorrow.. but Easter, so will be going to the family dinner. I'll have to stop by there after work one day next week and see how things look now they they have all the new lighting in.

That's the place! It's a lot nicer, bright lighting and the aisles are about a foot wider since they expanded into the space to the east as well. Oh, have you ever gone to the Plastic Model Flea Market at the Postal Worker Social Club? They're having one on April 2nd, thought about hitting that up in the hope of some cheap kits for terrain making or stunt kits for practicing brand new techniques.

Cartoon posted:

Go for it?

I'm going for it, if I don't try new stuff I'll never improve. Just want to know what I'm getting into. I'm doing an alternate decal sheet as well since my state is home to the A10 training squadron. Looks like there are a few places that sell Davis-Monthan markings.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

That's the place! It's a lot nicer, bright lighting and the aisles are about a foot wider since they expanded into the space to the east as well.

I was there a couple of weeks ago after the expansion but before the restocking was done and under the old lights. Nice to see them doing well enough that they can expand, sort of goes against the grain of the 'local hobby stores are dying' noise I hear constantly in modeling forums.

PirateDentist posted:

Oh, have you ever gone to the Plastic Model Flea Market at the Postal Worker Social Club? They're having one on April 2nd, thought about hitting that up in the hope of some cheap kits for terrain making or stunt kits for practicing brand new techniques.

I was up in that neighborhood a while back on a day they were having it, so I stopped in thinking I'd just look around. There was an entrance fee, and since I knew they would have nothing for my wooden ship addiction, I just left. It was only a couple of bucks, but I didn't have any cash on me that day, and was unaware that it wasn't free, and since I only had about 30 minutes between things I was doing so meh.

Since you work in plastic, it might be worth checking out. If it's anything like the vendor tables at Modelzona, there will be lots of kits to browse through. No idea how good the deals are though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Working on a worthy opponent for the Gneisenau I built a few months ago.

What's the scale on that ? It looks too small to be 1/700 or 1/600 ?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Tamiya 1:72 F-16CJ complete. This kit was a breeze compared to the recent ones I tackled. Fit was pretty perfect but it required some filling on a few spots. Had some trouble dipping the canopy in Humbrol Clear but it worked itself out. I made my own eject handle and oxygen tank for the cockpit. For being the second jet fighter in 25 years I think I did OK. Any questions?

And about the crapkits, I missed the last round so, are there rules or deadlines or something? I think someone suggested to wait until April before starting but I couldn't help myself so I'm halfway through the Mazda K360 already.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Why dip canopies in clear? Aren't they already clear?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

Why dip canopies in clear? Aren't they already clear?

It smooths out small imperfections, fills scratches, and otherwise generally makes a clear part look better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Midjack posted:

It smooths out small imperfections, fills scratches, and otherwise generally makes a clear part look better.

I did not know this. Thanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

makka-setan posted:

And about the crapkits, I missed the last round so, are there rules or deadlines or something? I think someone suggested to wait until April before starting but I couldn't help myself so I'm halfway through the Mazda K360 already.
Crapkit is a very informal thing. Don't stress about it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I already put together and primed my crapcar, but I've mostly been focusing on these guys recently:

It's a fairly rare kit, Preiser German Infantry at Rest, one of the few figure kits they make in 1:35th scale.

Since there's almost no information about this kit online, I decided to take a photo of the sprues:

This is the main figure sprue. You get three sitting men, two standing, and one lying down. Interestingly enough, there are no instructions in the kit, only suggestions, letting you build several figures in various poses. Some parts definitely go better with others, so be careful. After assembly, I ended up with one spare head and two spare half-arms.

You get an incredible amount of accessories with this kit. For six men you get five rifles, six pistols, an MP-40 with an unfolded stock, an MG-34, 2 officer's caps, 6 NCO caps, 6 peaked caps, 6 regular helmets, 1 helmet attached to an arm, and one helmet with a camouflage cover, as well as a ton of various other bits and bobs. Only one figure has all the straps molded to carry all this, so you'll have plenty of spares. There are also two crates of some kind, but three sitting figures, so as you can see in the photo, they have to share.

The subject matter is quite interesting, and I particularly like the sleeping guy and the officer with his jacket draped over his shoulders, but the age of the kit really shows. Even compared to Tamiya figures from the 90s, the detailing is extremely soft, the rank insignia are barely visible, and the depth of the details in the faces leaves much to be desired.

But look at this guy though, this is the spirit of "zero fucks given" in a model if I've ever seen it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This one's for you EE. It's.. .amazing.

http://www.davidfischermodelbuilder.com/#/new-gallery-1/

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

mllaneza posted:

What's the scale on that ? It looks too small to be 1/700 or 1/600 ?

it's the Tamiya 1/700 Rodney. It may look small but it's also at an angle- it's a hair short of 1 foot long. Funny enough- despite being armed with only 11 inch guns, and being about 2kt lighter than the Rodney, the Gneisenau is actually 20 meters longer because of the clipper bow.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Went to a small scale model show over the easter weekend at the Technik-Museum in Speyer.

My highlights (click for big):

Scratchbuild Fire Station Karl-Marx-Stadt

An alpian village

Wild wild west

Scratchbuild Hundertwasser Building Vienna

Tiger in the Snow

Nicely aged fishing boat

My favorite: Uboat in the storm

Some 1:16 tanks in various stages of being finished

some small mini dioramas

Love the color stream effect

BttF-DeLorean

a cute little fully equipped garage

Bonus video: The nonsense machine. A permanent installation at the museum it's a machine with a purpose of doing nothing useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcDYT1HdLs

Also got a bunch of pictures a whole bunch of actual air planes, mostly fighters. Not sure how interesting this is as it's all 1:1 originals. Album is here

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Holy poo poo, that's impressive.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Holy poo poo, that's impressive.

awwwwwww http://www.davidfischermodelbuilder.com/#/new-gallery/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
As if, my desk remains that neat for about 30 seconds after I tidy it up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Look at the loving ammo crate and the canteens. Like...gently caress.

Also it took 12 years.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bewbies posted:

Look at the loving ammo crate and the canteens. Like...gently caress.

Also it took 12 years.

I liked the dried mud behind the wheels.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finished up Hobby Boss F8F. This was a great kit for my skill level, it wasn't very complicated and everything fit very well...except for the fuselage halfs. That took quite a bit of putty. I wanted a shinier finish like it had just been waxed on the factory floor but the paint I bought was flat so I sprayed it and then coated with gloss and called it even.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks good, definitely a bit of a shine to it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can definitely see the outlines of the decal...is there a way to minimize that when you're putting them on dark surfaces? I use the micro sol stuff already.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

bewbies posted:

You can definitely see the outlines of the decal...is there a way to minimize that when you're putting them on dark surfaces? I use the micro sol stuff

Try using a hair dryer, helps melt the decal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Triggerhappypilot posted:

it's the Tamiya 1/700 Rodney. It may look small but it's also at an angle- it's a hair short of 1 foot long. Funny enough- despite being armed with only 11 inch guns, and being about 2kt lighter than the Rodney, the Gneisenau is actually 20 meters longer because of the clipper bow.

And I even checked the scale model database hoping I'd missed a 1/1200 kit.

I need to post up pics of my WIP Hunt the Bismarck project.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm terribly sorry for the fact that as far as I know, this is only on Facebook, but...

Some dude is making a scratch built model of the Bismark... in 1/48 scale. :stare:

Yea, that works out to about 16.5' in length.

http://www.facebook.com/BismaarckModell148Scale/

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

I am going to finish and rig this at some point, I really really am, but I am so loving sick at the moment of tiny PE and resin bits and little struts with no locating holes and losing tiny but important bits on the floor and and and....

anyway, I'm starting the crapCar instead. gently caress you, 'Special Hobby'.

I mean, what shape are these holes, 'Special Hobby'?

Yes, they're round, aren't they? Now what shape peg fits in a round hole? Come on, 'Special Hobby', 3 year old kids can do this. A round hole needs a...

Oh FFS :negative:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've been picking away at this Moebius Viper Mk II for a few days and I'm a little underwhelmed. Everyone's always said that it's a stellar kit, but I think the molds might be getting a little long in the tooth. Lots of flash, warped parts, raised seams... it's still going to be nice once it's finished, but I didn't expect to be fiddling with it quite this much.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Revell 1/48 A-10 Warthog I picked up looks great. I've only dry fit the major stuff together while I wait for another batch of paint to show up, but so far it looks like it's going to be a much less frustrating assembly. I'm going to use this one as a canvas to re-acquaint myself with my airbrush before I tackle the Viper's exterior paint.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
So this is kinda random but I had an Amazon gift card and was browsing around for Vallejo paints even though they tend to be more expensive than the usual online hobby shops for that kind of stuff and stumbled upon Vallejo WWII RAF Desert Set for $10.20 with Prime. All the other 8 paint sets range from $20-$30 on Amazon, $18-$22ish on other sites. Decided to get it because it comes out to ~$1.30 per bottle of paint, even though I didn't really have a pressing need for any of the colors. Here's the list of included colors:
Intermediate Blue (71005)
Dark Earth (71029)
Middlestone (71031)
Dark Sea Green (71053)
Pale Green (71095)
Azure (71108)
Mediterranean Blue (71111)
Matt Varnish (70520)

Casyl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a "vintage" Hasegawa 1 48 FW190A6 and I'd like to do the paint like this:

Is there a good tutorial etc for doing the mottled camo? Any tips etc?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

bewbies posted:

I got a "vintage" Hasegawa 1 48 FW190A6 and I'd like to do the paint like this:

Is there a good tutorial etc for doing the mottled camo? Any tips etc?

Not tried it myself, but reading some tips online and it seems like a good idea is to first putting down the pattern with small dots, and then carefully and slowly expanding the dots until you are satisfied. Also, thinning the paint more than you'd think. And drop the air pressure.

I'll actually quote these tips, they sound good:

1. Thin the paint to a much thinner consistency than you normally would, around 75-80% thinner works for me, but it depends on which paint you use.

2.drop the air pressure right down, this will allow you better control of the paint flow, allowing you to build up mottles slowly.

3. Practise, practice, practice. Try applying mottles to a sheet of paper first until you become comfortable, then try an old test model.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Unkempt posted:

Yes, they're round, aren't they? Now what shape peg fits in a round hole? Come on, 'Special Hobby', 3 year old kids can do this. A round hole needs a...

Oh FFS :negative:

I have this exact problem with a 23 year old Revell Metal Kit BMW 507 Convertible I stumbled upon a weekend ago. Square pegs for round holes and dented pegs where the dent is exactly on the wrong side of where it should be. This is a Revell Skill Level 1 kit. It's a snap kit for kids. How does this pass QA?

EDIT: Oh God, that Bismarck....

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Acid Reflux posted:

I've been picking away at this Moebius Viper Mk II for a few days and I'm a little underwhelmed. Everyone's always said that it's a stellar kit, but I think the molds might be getting a little long in the tooth. Lots of flash, warped parts, raised seams... it's still going to be nice once it's finished, but I didn't expect to be fiddling with it quite this much.

Might be a Moebius problem. Got myself the Dark Knight Tumbler and the amount of flash reminds me of 60s kits.