Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tendai posted:

Someone post the Manly Guys comic with the armored raptors on minibikes :3: I'm on my phone or I would.

Also requesting them in little tuxes, which is my personal fave :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love that storyline :3: Woo!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Or they were just realllllllly wasted
Well I mean, I wouldn't want to be staring down an emu army sober.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shirec posted:

Also requesting them in little tuxes, which is my personal fave :love:

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.
So Griddle is a very shy little dinosaur, who is easily spooked. She also really seems to dislikes being picked up, especially by hands which are apparently the Devil. If she is in or near her cage when something scares her she will either skitter to the back wall of her cage and hide behind her birdie binkie, or flap in a random direction and hope for the best (flinging herself at my face seems to also be a popular destination).

Who's that Pokemon?

It's Griddle!

Right after this Griddle finally figured out you could actually sit inside of the binkie instead of just against it, and promptly took a nap.

Addtional pictures from this Griddle photo session: here

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Eejit posted:

Man, how do white cockatoos always manage to look so ragged. Yours and mine both always look so disheveled

I dunno man, I just kind of assumed they all perpetually look like they had a rough all-nighter. Doesn't help that Mookie was a plucker, refuses to let anyone preen his head lately, and lives in a super dry environment. Does Teeka ever come out of poof mode enough to look disheveled?

D'awwww. Perfect name, btw.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 31, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lookit that shy little bay-bee :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Clary posted:

It's Griddle!

Literally an anime!

What material is that hanging thing made from?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://vine.co/v/ipIMV2XFOTm

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Come the gently caress on, this cannot be a real bird :kimchi: Holy poo poo.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Hungry Computer posted:

Range was the main issue, and the emus just scattered and fled from the stationary guns. So they tried mounting the machine guns on trucks for the second attack, but the emus outran them. That whole article is amazing.

Finally a use for the Bradley.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

Come the gently caress on, this cannot be a real bird :kimchi: Holy poo poo.

I made a Griddle avatar because that picture is too cute.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part about working semi-regularly again is that when I get home, Judah launches into cockatiel babble like he's gotta tell me all the important things that happened while I was gone

:kimchi:

"WOO pretty bird pretty bird wolf-whistle wanna water c'mere pretty bird incoherent cockatiel babble pretty boyyyyy whosabirrrrd! launches into song"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Battle Pigeon posted:

Literally an anime!

What material is that hanging thing made from?

Strips of no-pill fleece

http://www.abirdtoy.com/Birdie-Binkies_c_22.html -- they are hand made by a nice little old lady we met at the bird fair last week. They also have orbital swings that are really neat (the binkie sphere)

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I made a Griddle avatar because that picture is too cute.

This is awesome, reminds me of one of those Sacred Birds from a few pages back.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Mirthless posted:

Strips of no-pill fleece

http://www.abirdtoy.com/Birdie-Binkies_c_22.html -- they are hand made by a nice little old lady we met at the bird fair last week. They also have orbital swings that are really neat (the binkie sphere)

Thanks! Inko would probably love that, but he wouldn't be able to perch on it properly. He'd spend ages climbing on it and chewing it though

Tendai posted:

My favorite part about working semi-regularly again is that when I get home, Judah launches into cockatiel babble like he's gotta tell me all the important things that happened while I was gone

:kimchi:

"WOO pretty bird pretty bird wolf-whistle wanna water c'mere pretty bird incoherent cockatiel babble pretty boyyyyy whosabirrrrd! launches into song"

I'm sorry where is the video :3:

Update to my dumb cockatiel griffon art:http://i.imgur.com/i6Koco1.jpg?1 It didn't work out like I hoped at all. It was to try out prismacolors for the first time, but I only have a small set and not enough colours to make enough shades-you can see on the tree where I did, it's much better, but the rest, less so. Also, the set is a mix of five Verithin and 18 soft core, and it turns out they really, really don't work together. Even one soft core grey would have made a massive difference, but I am a poor and have no way to get any more. Blah blah will finish the leg and touch up body later, so I decided to just start throwing on a messy photoblur style watercolour background but the paper is terrible for that too. :v:

unrelated

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I thought apples were bad for birds. :raise:

.... :haw:

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Thyrork posted:

I thought apples were bad for birds. :raise:

.... :haw:

I would punch you if I were in England, you dordelflontbriblus.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Mirthless posted:

Strips of no-pill fleece

Boop is probably getting one of these

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hey guys. I don't know if you'll remember me, I used to post in this thread.

Today one of my little budgie buddies died. Her name was Hara and I loved her.

I moved to a new house recently, and Hara got very, very sick very quickly. I took her to the vet and they said she was stressed out and to make sure she was in a quiet, calm place to recover.

So I put her in the quietest part of my house, made sure she had her favorite snacks, and made sure her boyfriend Fuji was within eyesight. (I didn't want to keep him in the same cage in case he got sick, too). She was sickly for a few days, but seemed to be eating okay, and was drinking fine.

And then today, I found her sitting on the floor of her cage, barely able to stand. I picked her up, cuddled her, and tried to keep her warm. I was on the phone with the vet when she died.

I don't know what I did wrong, and I don't know what my next steps should be. I'm heartbroken and don't want another bird, but I've heard that birds in a bonded pair will die together if one of them dies. I'm worried Fuji will pine without her, but I don't want to subject another little bird to whatever killed Hara.

Advice, please?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm so sorry!! It says something to how amazing birds are when you feel like so much is missing when you lose them.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am so, so sorry :sympathy: Losing one of our little buds like that is so loving hard. I don't know any advice for Fuji since I've always been a single-bird household, but I'm so sorry for your loss.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( You didn't do anything wrong. I'm willing to say you did everything right. You took her to the vet, you made her as comfortable as you could, and you were with her when she passed. Your little bird had a great life with you and you were there for her until the end.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
*gets water refilled with lovely clean water*

*immediately dunks two gumnuts, a bell, and a handful of pellets into it*

*has a bath*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

*gets water refilled with lovely clean water*

*immediately dunks two gumnuts, a bell, and a handful of pellets into it*

*has a bath*

*is CROWS EVERYWHERE*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Today when I went home on my work break, Chuck the parakeet had gone on to the clearing at the end of the path.

Chuck was a magnificent friend and companion and will be so deeply missed.

May your quest for delicious treats never be fruitless and your favorite perch on my glasses someday know your feathery warmth again.

It was a grand eight years. I'll miss you, friend.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Today when I went home on my work break, Chuck the parakeet had gone on to the clearing at the end of the path.

Chuck was a magnificent friend and companion and will be so deeply missed.

May your quest for delicious treats never be fruitless and your favorite perch on my glasses someday know your feathery warmth again.

It was a grand eight years. I'll miss you, friend.

I'm sorry you lost your little buddy, too. It is not a good day for little birds.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Machine guns in that era didn't really have a lot of range, would have meant getting alarmingly close to 20,000 emus.

This is bullshit.

MGs were plenty accurate and were used as area denial weapons past 1000m during WW1. This is just a case of gross incompetency.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

awww poo poo poor budgies moving on to the great millet spray in the sky :(

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I imagine though people wouldn't go within a kilometer of a machine gun on the off chance it hits them, which is really different to hitting a target that can run 50kmh at 1000m.

Sorry to hear about all these other poor birds passing today :(

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mikerock posted:

This is bullshit.

MGs were plenty accurate and were used as area denial weapons past 1000m during WW1. This is just a case of gross incompetency.

While I'm completely not denying gross incompetency on behalf of the army, I would be surprised if there were many places in the region where you could get a clear shot at 1000m+

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goodbye, little friends :smith: Some very good birds in this thread, I'm sorry for the losses today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thanks for the kindness everyone.

Wandy the cockatiel is going to be alone for the first time in the six years I've had her. Any warning derp signs to watch out for? Her and the parakeets seemed locked in an eternal struggle of hating each other but I liked them having company.

In my late twenties I learned that parrots aren't perfect pets for people that live alone and work a good deal. Because of this, I don't plan to replace Chuck unless Wandy goes really sad. I plan to have all the birds someday but not until I'm settled in a house or have a lady.

gently caress this is so God damned awful. My blood turned septic and I almost died in October. Then my uncle died in a car wreck in December, a best friend to cancer last month, now Chuck. I'm loving done right now.

Sorry. e/n done.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The dog I grew up with just died. His back legs gave out. We got him when I was 6 or 7. Too much death today

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Holy poo poo this is a sad page.

Sorry for everyones loss (and now I am stuck at work loving panicking about Taco at home because I am insane).

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
here are some recent photos of taco so we don't all collapse of despair reading this page:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

While I'm completely not denying gross incompetency on behalf of the army, I would be surprised if there were many places in the region where you could get a clear shot at 1000m+

The other poster's comment was talking about range. I suspect his knowledge of firearms in a practical sense is limited to, at best, her uncle's .22, and any other sense the dreaded video games.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I am a pretty bird :smuggo:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mikerock posted:

The other poster's comment was talking about range. I suspect his knowledge of firearms in a practical sense is limited to, at best, her uncle's .22, and any other sense the dreaded video games.

I read the wiki and it mentioned that the guns they were using did not have a lot of range, if that is inaccurate then you might want to give it a bit of an edit. It's actually fairly amusing that someone would accuse my uncle of having a .22 :D , my family are farmers and collectivity own enough shotguns to start a small war, probably The State of Victoria Vs It's those bloody Roos again.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mike I think you are really overestimating the accuracy of a gun at 1000m. Even if the sights are aligned perfectly and the barrels perfectly straight, Emus at 1000m would be tiny and also they run at 50kmh(31mph) and there'd be wind and trees and rocks and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Not to turn this into spergy gunchat but there is also maximum range and effective range.

Also an emu is a mental shrub on stilts, good luck aiming at it.