Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally decided to get a pair of goggles, but Dominator V2's are nowhere to be found...then a bit of reading (which I should have done ages ago), revealed that the Attitude V3's have the same optics & screen as the Dom V2s and now also have a module bay.
Price is also reasonable: $331, with 32ch raceband module, decent CP antenna, battery and the faceplate. Still comes to about 1 million Canadian, though...
Should get here by Monday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I'm going to head to the drones plus store here in Toronto tomorrow and take a look at their stuff and chat with the sales people.

They seem to have a wide selection of drones, from tiny cheap ones to big fancy ones.
Hopefully I can find one to fly this weekend.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Cop gay. So What posted:

How are you mounting that screen to the transmitter? Is it part of the kit or a DIY thing? My screen is held on with electrical tape and velcro and I'd like to get it looking a little more professional if there are specific clamps or mounts.

Modified version of this. I changed the legs so that it would clear the antenna sticking out of the module and sit flat.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349502

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brekelefuw posted:

I'm going to head to the drones plus store here in Toronto tomorrow and take a look at their stuff and chat with the sales people.

They seem to have a wide selection of drones, from tiny cheap ones to big fancy ones.
Hopefully I can find one to fly this weekend.

Let me know what they have. Last time I was in there it was all DJI accessories and a few little $100+ hubsan type brushed quads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh huh, Drones Plus is like a 2 minute subway ride from work. I should go check it out next week. If I can source parts locally that would be cool.

RotorGeeks has an office up north by LesMill but they're not really an all around parts place. Then there was some other store I hit up that was general RC but it was really light on drone stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure they are no big deal here but I backed the MicroDrone 3.0 a year ago thinking it looked neat. Mine arrived today and the remote doesn't work with any batteries (wont power on). The bigger issue is that the battery for the drone doesn't seem to make connection with the drone (I have 2 batteries so it must be the drone's defect. The battery powers the camera and I can connect via wifi to that, but the drone is dead. Sucks big time. What a piece of garbage.

Lesson learned.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
never buy from indiegogo. At least it wasn't one of the companies that just explicitly resells toys off of banggood / geekbuying / etc

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

never buy from indiegogo. At least it wasn't one of the companies that just explicitly resells toys off of banggood / geekbuying / etc

Yeah it was a year ago when I was dumber and more naive. I don't *think* it was a malicious intent to distribute crap, but who knows.

Just wanted to vent a little. :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have a DJI F450 although I haven't flown smaller/larger quads, it does feel to me like a reasonable compromise. It's actually pretty agile as a base kit while still large enough to install taller landing gear and mount a gimbal and a camera. While you do see people mount GoPro-size cameras on 250s, the unstabilized footage is garbage, cinematically speaking.

However, even though it's quite agile and fun to fly around (until you mount all that heavy crap, that is), I never got rid of the feeling that a smallest accident is going to be very expensive, unlike with a 250 which seem to be relatively indestructible. Larger quads are going to be even more easy to break, difficult to move around and expensive to fly - this one gets decent air time with cheap 4k 3S batteries.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My 550 hex airframe showed up today...

I'm debating having "fpv" gear on it, beyond a video feed for the camera. It's definitely going to be a two receiver setup, though I do have a DX18 now..

The plan is to assemble it tomorrow.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'll post pictures later.. but a buddy and I built the hex today.

We also did a little science with the motors. Running 4s, it should have 6kg of thrust, total. Drawing an astounding 120 amps... On 3s, it makes 700g ish thrust. Per motor. .. Graphs to follow too.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 5, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, that sounds wild.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just bought a Blade Nano QX last night.. my only experience with RC aerial vehicles are those lovely little helicopters. Any tips or things you wish someone would have told you when starting out?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
1) Buy a spare battery or two if you can.
2) Buy replacement props. Buy more. Put a number down for how many you'll think you'll need. Buy twice that many. At least.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Takkaryx posted:

1) Buy a spare battery or two if you can.
2) Buy replacement props. Buy more. Put a number down for how many you'll think you'll need. Buy twice that many. At least.

Bought 4 batteries and a charger, I'll order some props though too. I think my local hobbyshop carries them too!

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I bought a Nano QX to start out with quads too, it was my favorite RC thing for years. You will have a lot of fun with it and be able to learn the controls pretty quickly with such a great little quad.

Fly over grass if you are trying any new ambitious stunts, always throttle down when you are about to crash. Realize when it can't be saved, throttle down completely and your chances of breaking anything is pretty slim. If all else fails always practice hovering!

I recently moved on to bigger quads and I'm really glad I took the time to learn with my Nano QX as I've been lucky with zero crashes so far. I know it's bound to happen eventually but if I didn't spend so much time on my Nano QX as a trainer I would have certainly broken quite a few props and probably some parts by now. I built a ZMR 250 near the beginning of the year. Just got my 4S packs today and made my first flights with them. Really looking forward to learning my quad more on 4S now. Not sure what I should do with my 3S batteries now entirely.. I may end up selling them. They all have about 25-30 cycles each on them 2x 3S 1300mah 65c Graphene and 4x SMC Racing 3S 1300mah 37A "True Spec" (basically 65C or better). They are in pretty much perfect condition otherwise, not sure if someone here might be interested in that.

Here's my dirty baby:

Using with a DX8 I had bought for Horizon Hobby models 3 years back. Really wishing I had a Taranis sometimes for that RSSI! I still haven't done a range test with my Lemon RX 8 Channel Receiver + Satellite. Lemon sells a diversity antenna version too that I want to try out and should have gotten originally, but every DSMX receiver I buy makes me think I should save towards a Taranis. Fortunately haven't had issues yet but I'm always too afraid to push it on range.

I'm also using Dominator V2's with Immersion RC receiver and 600mW VTX. HS1177 FPV Cam (Foxeer XAT 600m), Mobius Action Cam, Cobra 2204 2300kv motors, DYS BL20a ESCs, Micro MinimOSD running MW OSD all on a ZMR 250. Have SMC Racing 3S and 4S 37A 1300mah "True Spec" batteries, they don't give bullshit C ratings and have great prices so I've been happy with them so far. I also bought two 3S 65C Graphene batteries when they came out, now wishing I got 4S!

Running Betaflight 2.6 on a "Race32" which is a crappy clone board of an SPRacingF3. I got gipped by this site called team-legit.com, I wouldn't really recommend buying from them. They were one of the only sites with Dominator V2's in stock around Christmas so I bought a couple parts from them, they completely ripped me off on the "Race32" board and I didn't know any better at the time. I really wish I got a real SPRacingF3 board. For my next build I like the look of the Lux controller or SPRacingF3 Mini, but I've heard a fair amount of issues regarding the mini which is too bad because it has some awesome features.

I really love my build overall... as this post possibly shows, though if I could change one thing I wish I got a 5" Alien or a Shendrones Tweaker or Krieger. Oh well lesson learned, my next build will probably be a Shendrones Corgi or a RotorX 122 Atom, I love the look of both of those frames!

What are your guys favorite frames or next frames going to be? Also thoughts on Flight Controllers?

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 5, 2016

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I bought a Hubsan x4 h107d fpv last night. Also bought extra batteries and props and blade guards.

Decided I would start with that and make lots of parts for it, and when I get good at flying it, I will move on to a 250. Possibly the machine falcon fpv racer.

I can't wait to make some new chassis for the Hubsan on my printer and mill.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Opinionated posted:

I recently moved on to bigger quads and I'm really glad I took the time to learn with my Nano QX as I've been lucky with zero crashes so far.

Wow - I usually crash my 250 class stuff at least once every session. (loving those DALprops.)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

patentmagus posted:

Wow - I usually crash my 250 class stuff at least once every session. (loving those DALprops.)

Heh, until I got Dal props, I was using 10+ props per session. Granted concrete is not very forgiving...With Dalprops, I can usually fly away as long as I land the right side up and since going to triblades, I've even gotten away with losing 1 blade and still being able to fly back.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Heh, until I got Dal props, I was using 10+ props per session. Granted concrete is not very forgiving...With Dalprops, I can usually fly away as long as I land the right side up and since going to triblades, I've even gotten away with losing 1 blade and still being able to fly back.

But those old gemfan triblades seemed to never lose just one blade... Luckily, it didn't take log to consume the stockpile. It as absolutely amazing what these little quads can stabilize, like when you fly back and the battery is severely dislodged and maybe a prop blade is bent 90 degrees.

The problem with DALprops is when you decide that the quad is tougher than the foliage, followed by sudden uncontrollable yaw.

I try to not to fly over tile, concrete, or asphalt. That's when the repairs get spendy. Water too, but Flite test has those water proofing videos that suggest a whole new flight envelope.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Opinionated posted:

Using with a DX8 I had bought for Horizon Hobby models 3 years back. Really wishing I had a Taranis sometimes for that RSSI! I still haven't done a range test with my Lemon RX 8 Channel Receiver + Satellite. Lemon sells a diversity antenna version too that I want to try out and should have gotten originally, but every DSMX receiver I buy makes me think I should save towards a Taranis. Fortunately haven't had issues yet but I'm always too afraid to push it on range.

I'm also using Dominator V2's with Immersion RC receiver and 600mW VTX. HS1177 FPV Cam (Foxeer XAT 600m), Mobius Action Cam, Cobra 2204 2300kv motors, DYS BL20a ESCs, Micro MinimOSD running MW OSD all on a ZMR 250. Have SMC Racing 3S and 4S 37A 1300mah "True Spec" batteries, they don't give bullshit C ratings and have great prices so I've been happy with them so far. I also bought two 3S 65C Graphene batteries when they came out, now wishing I got 4S!

Running Betaflight 2.6 on a "Race32" which is a crappy clone board of an SPRacingF3. I got gipped by this site called team-legit.com, I wouldn't really recommend buying from them. They were one of the only sites with Dominator V2's in stock around Christmas so I bought a couple parts from them, they completely ripped me off on the "Race32" board and I didn't know any better at the time. I really wish I got a real SPRacingF3 board. For my next build I like the look of the Lux controller or SPRacingF3 Mini, but I've heard a fair amount of issues regarding the mini which is too bad because it has some awesome features.

What are your guys favorite frames or next frames going to be? Also thoughts on Flight Controllers?

As far as I know, Team Legit is, well, legit!.
The more 'serious' racers I know are now going back to Spektrum/DSMX as the satellite RX's has a lot lower latency than the PPM from a Taranis. They claim its enough for them to notice.
Similarly, they also avoid the Graphene lipos due to their rather excessive weight.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

The more 'serious' racers I know are now going back to Spektrum/DSMX as the satellite RX's has a lot lower latency than the PPM from a Taranis. They claim its enough for them to notice.
Similarly, they also avoid the Graphene lipos due to their rather excessive weight.

Do you know if a spectrum dsmx transmitter will bind with a nano QX or hubsan 104?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

patentmagus posted:

But those old gemfan triblades seemed to never lose just one blade... Luckily, it didn't take log to consume the stockpile. It as absolutely amazing what these little quads can stabilize, like when you fly back and the battery is severely dislodged and maybe a prop blade is bent 90 degrees.

The problem with DALprops is when you decide that the quad is tougher than the foliage, followed by sudden uncontrollable yaw.

I try to not to fly over tile, concrete, or asphalt. That's when the repairs get spendy. Water too, but Flite test has those water proofing videos that suggest a whole new flight envelope.

You just need to crash-proof your quad :D Currently fly 'races' in the parking garage 1-2 times a week and while I did eventually had to replace 2 motors (Convenient excuse for upgrading to bigger motors), the most damage has come from head-on collisions with other quads. Last time we both flew away from it, just lost a bit of carbon.
It's really remarkable how much abuse these things can take.

patentmagus posted:

Do you know if a spectrum dsmx transmitter will bind with a nano QX or hubsan 104?

No idea, sorry.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

patentmagus posted:

My DX6i works fine with a Nano QX.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A dsmx transmitter will indeed bind to a NQX but not a hubsan.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

You've been able to get lower latency SBUS receivers from frsky for a while

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2016

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

patentmagus posted:

I am not a hardcore pilot making lots of tricks yet, but I definitely stay on the throttle pretty good. I got to the point where I was almost never going below 75% throttle on 3S, but now I'm learning 4S and it's definitely a bit different. But I've been cautious enough that I haven't broken one prop which I'm pretty proud of. Although I tell myself I'm being too cautious, which is probably true but I'll get there eventually.

I want to try some of their DAL 5030 or 5040 if they make them. I'm using HQ Props right now but have heard good things about DAL.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You've been able to get lower latency SBUS receivers from frsky for a while

Yeah Mr Steele has talked about this before and claimed that S.Bus on an X4R-SB is the best latency out there right now. Good to know the latency is pretty low with a DSMX sat too.

Just curious why do you say this? I only mentioned that stuff because I tried to contact them more than once for help with something they sold me and they ignored my emails. Not to mention they were selling that clone board of an SPRacingF3 for 65 dollars, which is the same price as the real board.

And yes all Horizon Hobby products are DSMX compatible. I have quite a few of their products because they all work with my DX8.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 5, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Opinionated posted:

Just curious why do you say this? I only mentioned that stuff because I tried to contact them more than once for help with something they sold me and they ignored my emails. Not to mention they were selling that clone board of an SPRacingF3 for 65 dollars, which is the same price as the real board.

Purely based on their fairly well-known profile. Never actually bought anything from them.

As for SBUS, wasn't there a bunch of issues with the Rev 6 boards? In any case, I'm nowhere near good enough to need 'racing' boards or to notice latency issues with using PPM :)

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone got a ham technician license? What study guide did you use?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The first one in Google. There are flash cards if you don't care about Ham

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

As for SBUS, wasn't there a bunch of issues with the Rev 6 boards?

I just gently caress with f3 boards since all the inverting signals is usually easier with them. The whole wide voltage range support but not really thing on the naze rev 6 is silly as well

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Regarding the DSMX compatibility, I was using an OrangeRX DSMX (maybe DSM2) module from hobbyking to fly my nano QXes with a Taranis. One day, the module crapped out for some unknown reason. The new modules I ordered wouldn't bind. Real pisser because the better Tx made a huge difference in control.

I've been on the fence about getting a Spectrum Tx just to fly those Nana QX because they are so fun. Especially the FPV version. Also - the more you fly the better you fly. Flying the nano every day really helped.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

That's the part of the reason I got a DX8 with my Nano QX. I also knew I wanted to get more models and eventually move into 3D Heli's was my plan at the time. Your ability to control the Nano with a real transmitter makes such a massive difference like you said. I have an FPV Vapor and Mini Vapor too and they fly so nicely with it.

If only Spektrum had RSSI without extra mods, that's one feature I really really wish I had. Though I would almost recommend getting a Taranis with a DSMX module over a Spektrum Tx.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Opinionated posted:

That's the part of the reason I got a DX8 with my Nano QX. I also knew I wanted to get more models and eventually move into 3D Heli's was my plan at the time. Your ability to control the Nano with a real transmitter makes such a massive difference like you said. I have an FPV Vapor and Mini Vapor too and they fly so nicely with it.

If only Spektrum had RSSI without extra mods, that's one feature I really really wish I had. Though I would almost recommend getting a Taranis with a DSMX module over a Spektrum Tx.

I've gone from DSMX modules to just using ACCST receivers with my Taranis. The only module I'd experiment with these days is for long range stuff. I'm really burned out on trying to get DSMX modules to bind with the nano QX. Maybe it's just the OrangeRx ones that suck. More properly - that suck now. The old ones bound just fine.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I made my own

http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html

there are often people selling their spares on rcgroups since you typically get enough stuff to make 3 at a time (sans the actual radio part)

I have an old orangerx module lying around as well I think

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Quick question.. How long do the batteries for the qx take to charge? I bought the e-flite celectra charger.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of batteries -- How do you guys keep track of your spent batteries vs fresh, when you go out? Just curious.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of batteries -- How do you guys keep track of your spent batteries vs fresh, when you go out? Just curious.

Charged go in my battery bag and empty sit around near the the charger. If it's somewhere I don't have a charger then I just use a divider of some sort in my battery bag. But I actually use a battery tester before I fly each time too so the organization part isn't a big deal.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

If they're velcro'd to the bottom of my bag: they're good. If they're velcro'd to the inside wall: they're dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I use a plastic tackle box. For the 1s eflite batteries I have a "charged" and "discharged" bin. For the big batteries, if it's in the tackle box, it's charged, if it's free floating in my bag, it's spent.