Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/night-lords-trilogy-hb.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've been reading the omnibus and was surprised by how good these books are. For being heretical monsters the protagonists are surprisingly likeable.

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Haven't read these yet, but I've heard only good things about them so I'm tempted in investing in this limited edition :P

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Or, instead of acting like a maniac with more money than sense, just go to Amazon and buy the Omnibus for $15. Please don't encourage BL and their "get rich quick" schemes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Or, instead of acting like a maniac with more money than sense, just go to Amazon and buy the Omnibus for $15. Please don't encourage BL and their "get rich quick" schemes.

Ya, as much as I love and utterly adore the Night Lords trilogy I loving hate this goddamn super deluxe ultra combo limited edition bullshit BL does. Especially when they just released the Omnibus about year or whatever ago which is completely serviceable on it's own. The worst part is from the sounds of it, the box set doesn't even include the additional short stories like the Omnibus does.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Their ebook omnibus for the Night Lords is $17.50, which is amazingly reasonable for 3 novels and 2 short stories.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah seriously. The Night Lords trilogy are three of my favorite books ever, and I would never drop 75bux on them unless they were all signed by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and we got to cuddle after.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wanna buy the inquisition war and space marine but gently caress me they're experiensive

I found a .doc of space marine a long time ago but still I like physical copies

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I wanna buy the inquisition war and space marine but gently caress me they're experiensive

I found a .doc of space marine a long time ago but still I like physical copies

As much as I loving hate those books and wish they would all burn in a fire, Inquisition War is $13 used on Amazon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What's this Space Marine novel I keep hearing about? Is it the one by Ian Watson with Brother Tony Montana of the Dark Angels on the cover?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AndyElusive posted:

What's this Space Marine novel I keep hearing about? Is it the one by Ian Watson with Brother Tony Montana of the Dark Angels on the cover?

It's by Ian Watson, but the cover is an Imperial Fists Fist. Black and yellow. It's pretty good. Also, I've been sending my e-books from my PC to my iPad and suddenly I'm reading a lot more Warhammer. The Battlefleet Gothic books are really, really good and I'm disappointed I didn't read them sooner, Borusa slowly ranking up is a lot of fun to watch.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Yes, that is the one. The reprint through BL was in the IF colors.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Working my way through Fulgrim right now and I'm starting to realize that "evil magic sword" is maybe one of my most hated tropes. Still, on the positive side, the book seems to be full of people calling Eidolon an rear end in a top hat, so that's something.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Make sure you read the follow up story where he gets dildo'd in the bum

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I was hoping to avoid that, so thank you for confirming that it doesn't happen in this book.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

PantsOptional posted:

Working my way through Fulgrim right now and I'm starting to realize that "evil magic sword" is maybe one of my most hated tropes. Still, on the positive side, the book seems to be full of people calling Eidolon an rear end in a top hat, so that's something.

I really enjoyed the opera of death at the end. Really seemed to be a good lets go crazy and worship slaanesh moment.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Agentdark posted:

I really enjoyed the opera of death at the end. Really seemed to be a good lets go crazy and worship slaanesh moment.

That was a good scene, yes. McNeill is good at writing Chaos and Mechanicum as far as the really illustrative details and such, but he seems to flounder at anything else. Look at the difference between Storm of Iron or any of the Ultramarines books.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Battlefleet Gothic books are really, really good and I'm disappointed I didn't read them sooner, Borusa slowly ranking up is a lot of fun to watch.

I didn't know there were BFG books! Are these the Execution Hour/Shadow Point books, and/or related comic?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

I didn't know there were BFG books! Are these the Execution Hour/Shadow Point books, and/or related comic?

Yup, I'm halfway through Execution Hour, and it's brilliant. So far all the action's been either on board the Lord Solar Macharius, with pretty enjoyable characters, but one of the chapters is about the Arbites on a raid. Turns out that human beings are much more fun to read about than Space Marines charging through and shooting peasants and criminal scum in the name of the Emperor. Go read them now if you haven't already, they are really drat good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really want to read a book written as war memoir anecdotes. I got the idea after watching Lindybeige's latest video on Cromwell tank stories, and I think it would be fascinating to see that from an Imperial Guard perspective.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yup, I'm halfway through Execution Hour, and it's brilliant. So far all the action's been either on board the Lord Solar Macharius, with pretty enjoyable characters, but one of the chapters is about the Arbites on a raid. Turns out that human beings are much more fun to read about than Space Marines charging through and shooting peasants and criminal scum in the name of the Emperor. Go read them now if you haven't already, they are really drat good.

Its a goddamn shame that Black Library shitcanned the third book in the series, though. :sigh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Alfredo Pangea posted:

Has everyone has seen this official black library list pic, And aside from the placing a johnny come lately as their second slot to shll the newest novel series, and all the other gripes about their favorite being left out....they put in Alpharius. I doubt they mean the primarch but even still it is not a list of chaos marines. My best guess is they mean the one from the new eisenhorn novel,

They are all Alpharius.

Except Alpharius, who is Omegon.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
do any books have thunder warriors in them?other than outcast dead

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
On that note, a book following the years where the Emperor appeared and conquered Terra with the Thunder Warriors would really be fun, with the right writer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Our Emperor who art in Terra forgive me…

I just sent in a submission to Black Library. Kylaer has to put something in now, it'd be just wrong if they bough my idea and not his. All I can do now is make my stuff not suck and maybe be Doc-Eldar-good someday.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SRM posted:

Yeah seriously. The Night Lords trilogy are three of my favorite books ever, and I would never drop 75bux on them unless they were all signed by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and we got to cuddle after.

Funny you should phrase such a thing. (No, I didn't buy one. I'm broke)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Rat posted:

That was a good scene, yes. McNeill is good at writing Chaos and Mechanicum as far as the really illustrative details and such, but he seems to flounder at anything else. Look at the difference between Storm of Iron or any of the Ultramarines books.

Pretty much this.

Also, I remember Shadow Point and Execution Hour being great, and I'm afraid to reread them for fear of them having gotten worse with age.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Uroboros posted:

Pretty much this.

Also, I remember Shadow Point and Execution Hour being great, and I'm afraid to reread them for fear of them having gotten worse with age.

Nah, I reread 'em a couple years back and they pretty much hold up. Pity the third novel never got commissioned, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Uroboros posted:

No, they're excellent books in their own right. They're books that give the Sororitas, the Arbites and the officers onboard a Imperial Navy craft more screentime than any space marines. Actually, so far I've not actually noticed a single space marine other than the mention of there being some onboard the Planet Killer. I'm enjoying them as much as I enjoyed Eisenhorn, if not more because I'm a sucker for naval stuff.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Speaking of trilogies of books from Black Library that unfortunately got cancelled after book 2, there is the dark heresy books written by Sandy Mitchell. Those were pretty good I thought.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
If I've learned anything the Black Library is just as clueless on how to make money as GW. Wasting time have authors write start up limited release novels about Ork invasions no one cares about when they could be finishing Warmaster and making more off it than that entire series will bring in.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uroboros posted:

If I've learned anything the Black Library is just as clueless on how to make money as GW. Wasting time have authors write start up limited release novels about Ork invasions no one cares about when they could be finishing Warmaster and making more off it than that entire series will bring in.

Letting the first book in a trilogy go out of print before the third book is released is the dumbest loving thing ever.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Uroboros posted:

If written well, the Ork invasion could be seriously awesome. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Ultramarines either, until Abnett gave them a proper treatment.

Unfortunately, BL seems to have been taken over by the GW sales team - "They want more content? Let's flood them with worthless poo poo - that'll show them!"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Speaking of trilogies of books from Black Library that unfortunately got cancelled after book 2, there is the dark heresy books written by Sandy Mitchell. Those were pretty good I thought.

They were but it was kind of like reading the D&D 3.5 novels, you could hear the dice rattling in the background all the time since all of the character names were from the core rulebook.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

If written well, the Ork invasion could be seriously awesome. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Ultramarines either, until Abnett gave them a proper treatment.

Unfortunately, BL seems to have been taken over by the GW sales team - "They want more content? Let's flood them with worthless poo poo - that'll show them!"

Eh, if anything I think lots of people preferred the Ultramarines before to the Ultramarysue marines as they are now :v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm still mad that FFG never released a blood pact class for black crusade. :argh:

Renegade isn't really the same thing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, if anything I think lots of people preferred the Ultramarines before to the Ultramarysue marines as they are now :v:

Not even the ultimate apocalypse mod could make Matt Ward's fevered dreams of nemesis dreadknights look good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

They were but it was kind of like reading the D&D 3.5 novels, you could hear the dice rattling in the background all the time since all of the character names were from the core rulebook.
Of course it is basically a simplified version of Inquisitor and that didn't stop the Eisenhorn novels from being decent.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
God I loved eisenhorn. It was my introduction to wh40k, now here I am on a dead fourm talking about novels, having role played a scrunt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you hear about the Eisenhorn video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you hear about the Eisenhorn video game?

I saw that today, hopefully it won't be too horrible. Eisenhorn was my intro to warhammer 40k novels.

Does seem like GW has been handing out licences to make WH games like candy recently.