Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had a midair failure Saturday night when using my hiro frame for a light show at a party (no one saw thank god). Their adamant plea to not use Loctite with their polycarbonate frame came back to bite me as a motor shaked all its screws out. Only two props broke luckily, I went back and used thread locker tape on every screw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Takkaryx posted:

If your ESC looks like the one you linked, then the black wire is negative and the white is signal. These should connect to pinouts on the FC. Each ESC will have a signal/neg wire leading to the FC. Hopefully the board will have numbers on the pinouts, and what order you plug the ESCs in will depend on the board (Northwest motor corresponds to pinout 1, northeast to 2, or maybe northwest 1 southwest 2, etc.)

Thanks!

Looks like i (finally) know where everything goes!

I am not really sure what to do once i have assembled everything on the quad?

The Naze32 has a micro USB port. Should i connect this to my PC at some point?

Do i need to do anything with my Taranis X9D to set it up (unrelated to the quad)

How do i get my Taranis working with the quad?

I feel the building process is fairly well documented but i still have no grasp of all the other things to do and barely see those topics brought up. (such as flashing firmware etc) The only reason i assume this is a thing in the first place is because i know about such activities from a life of being interested in gadgets and electronics.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
This video series was really helpful to me in getting my first build set up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vOVZPzIMo

This post was helpful too http://blog.oscarliang.net/cleanflight-naze32-setup/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
After seeing demonstrations of the tarranis, and playing with the 9xr, I am certain they're out to make programming your radios harder. On purpose.

The DX6i wasn't "great" but could be figured out. The DX18 is pretty awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out 9503...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Programming transmitters are a whole nother level of learning. Jumping into quads will make your brain leak out your ears for a month or so.

Tip for you guys just starting. The wires from motor to ESC. Dont just cut the motor wires short and solder to the ESC. Run the wires under the ESC then back over the top and solder there.

On larger frames you can do barrel connectors with heat shrink if you'd like. But the under over is pretty simple and gives you some slack.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 11, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

One issue that I've found with all of this stuff is that all the information is there, but none of it is centralized. Nothing a bunch of googling and open tabs can't solve, though. I can only imagine how daunting making a new OP with the "basics" would be.

Unrelated, my diatone 215 will take a 3s or 4s. I figured I should start with a 3s to slow it down, but I don't really know if it matters.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Nerobro posted:

After seeing demonstrations of the tarranis, and playing with the 9xr, I am certain they're out to make programming your radios harder. On purpose.

The DX6i wasn't "great" but could be figured out. The DX18 is pretty awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out 9503...

I have never used a spektrum, but aren't certain sticks/switches tied to specific channels on the receiver with no flexibility?

i.e. Can you program a spektrum to have your right stick go from Ail/Elevator control to controlling the pan/tilt on your plane's camera?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

One issue that I've found with all of this stuff is that all the information is there, but none of it is centralized. Nothing a bunch of googling and open tabs can't solve, though. I can only imagine how daunting making a new OP with the "basics" would be.

Unrelated, my diatone 215 will take a 3s or 4s. I figured I should start with a 3s to slow it down, but I don't really know if it matters.

Yes, start with 3S.

Also, never run batteries down till they're out of charge. You can potentially damage them so that future charges wont hold or they might catch fire and burn your house down.

Yet another gotcha I learned after the fact. No damage but ruined a battery.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I had a midair failure Saturday night when using my hiro frame for a light show at a party (no one saw thank god). Their adamant plea to not use Loctite with their polycarbonate frame came back to bite me as a motor shaked all its screws out. Only two props broke luckily, I went back and used thread locker tape on every screw

woops forgot to post the vid of our other light up quad. a goofy little scamp that excited those looking through the windows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKE70wIWeqs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41-OG8yjbEA

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
My hubsan arrived today.

I also learned that I suck at flying. like really suck.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My new favourite frame is the Insect 130 from Banggood US. It's basically the size of an Atom122 but without the deadcat rear arms, giving you a bit more space to fit the antenna/power connector between the motors. Also sorta reminds me of one of those crazy tiny Sputnik 117 frames, except this fits 30.5mm boards.

It's ~260g AUW with a 4s1050mah, and ~220g with a 4s450mah. Flights are only 3 mins with that 450 but hooooooly poo poo is it a fun 3 mins. The 1050 goes for 5min+ which is all I ask for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brekelefuw posted:

My hubsan arrived today.

I also learned that I suck at flying. like really suck.

Just takes time.

Also where are you practicing? If you're just trying to dong around in your livingroom then you're probably way too nervous about crashing into your expensive TV or something, like me. I'm bad at flying too, but I literally made zero progress until I actually took it outside to a field and stopped worrying about having it gently caress up my house :3:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I don't care about crashing it. It's more of me overcompensating, or not instinctually reacting in the proper way to fix my flight path.
Right stick strafe and left stick rotate confuses me since it's the opposite of what happens in video games.

Here's a photo of my sweet drone :

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What is the name of that drone? I wouldn't mind a small camera equipped one so I don't have to always use my inspire1 every time I just want to screw around

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Hubsan x4 h107d

There is a d+ model with a better camera and altitude control, but I didn't want to spend the extra money.

the h107c and c+ are camera drones, but no FPV

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The RotorX Atom V2 is now on indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-atom-the-world-is-your-racetrack#/

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Hey, does anyone happen to have experience with setting up serial transcievers for computers? I have a quad I've been working on (old picture, currently in the process of rebuilding to stack the RPI and APM).

I have an APM that's acting as my flight controller, then have a RPI communicating through a level shifter over UART0 to send flight commands via MAVLink. I'm doing it this way so the PI can control the quad for autonomous applications that the APM isn't set up for. The PI runs Open CV to track and follow people. One of the problems I'm working on tackling is that the RPI is what's actually communicating with my ground station (my computer). I picked up a transceiver off HK so I can send remote commands to my RPI from my computer.

The issue is, my computer is going to be communicating with the RPI, not the APM, and I don't plan on using MAVLink. I haven't been able to really find any guides for how to do that. Thankfully the transceivers are more or less plug and play usb devices but I'm a bit unsure how to go about binding them and setting up a bridge.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 12, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ I'm going to stop ordering from banggood. Their prices are good but I'm not likely to get any of my parts this century.

I feel like it is literally being walked to my house from China.

edit: I mean I guess technically I could just pay for better shipping.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

nerox posted:

I have never used a spektrum, but aren't certain sticks/switches tied to specific channels on the receiver with no flexibility?

i.e. Can you program a spektrum to have your right stick go from Ail/Elevator control to controlling the pan/tilt on your plane's camera?

Depends on the transmitter. The DX18 I can do more or less anything.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Christ I'm going to stop ordering from banggood. Their prices are good but I'm not likely to get any of my parts this century.

They're not nearly as bad as some of the Chinese ebay sellers. I've had things take well over a month. What I hate more than slow delivery times is how Hobby King will have things out of stock for 3-6 months at a time or how almost half their products are on backorder. Recently had an order for some bullet connectors sit backordered for a month before I checked the comment section and saw people posting from last October asking when they were going to restock the item.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Any recommendations for a 3s battery and charger? Diatone recommends either 1300 or 2200mah, I'm thinking 2200mah because speed isn't that important while I'm learning, but stick time is.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

sigseven posted:

This video series was really helpful to me in getting my first build set up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vOVZPzIMo

This post was helpful too http://blog.oscarliang.net/cleanflight-naze32-setup/

Thanks!

That dude really talks fast! I watched it for a few minutes and it it looks fairly informative.

Martytoof posted:

Whenever i am visiting my PIL's and ordering stuff in china they arrive the next morning. Its like someone is alerted whenever i come to China and sits there waiting for my orders, handpacks them and gets on the first airplane to deliver them to me. I have never ordered anything from China to be sent here to Norway so my only experience with Chinese shipping is domestically in China. I kinda expected them to be just as efficient with international shipments.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Banggood and various ebay sellers are pretty drat good with shipping it the next or even same business day. Outside of one order I did over Christmas/NYE period, most stuff arrives to Europe within about 2 weeks.

What sucks is the backordered stuff, as has been mentioned. I've been waiting already as long for the AV TX/RX and a set of props that I actually need RIGHT loving NOW and it hasn't shipped yet.

Google Butt posted:

Any recommendations for a 3s battery and charger? Diatone recommends either 1300 or 2200mah, I'm thinking 2200mah because speed isn't that important while I'm learning, but stick time is.

I have a pair of Turnigy 2200 for the plane and as a backup for the F450. This is on the lower end of capacity for the latter but they hold up pretty well anyway.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9394__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_30C_Lipo_Pack.html
The charger is the default go-to IMAX-B6, again works perfectly fine with an old laptop PSU: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28146__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_UK_Warehouse_.html

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Banggood and various ebay sellers are pretty drat good with shipping it the next or even same business day. Outside of one order I did over Christmas/NYE period, most stuff arrives to Europe within about 2 weeks.

What sucks is the backordered stuff, as has been mentioned. I've been waiting already as long for the AV TX/RX and a set of props that I actually need RIGHT loving NOW and it hasn't shipped yet.

I have a pair of Turnigy 2200 for the plane and as a backup for the F450. This is on the lower end of capacity for the latter but they hold up pretty well anyway.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9394__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_30C_Lipo_Pack.html
The charger is the default go-to IMAX-B6, again works perfectly fine with an old laptop PSU: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28146__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_UK_Warehouse_.html

+1 on eBay sellers shipping quick these days. If it's not prime on Amazon I'll go there in an instant.

I should have mentioned that the battery is going on that diatone 215 quad. Is 30c low for that diatone tyrant 215? I should probably buy a 1300 and a 2200 just to see how they feel and go from there.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Just pay the extra £1.50 for expedited shipping, normally arrives within a week or so that way.

Anyone have any experience with the MicroMinimOSD? I've hooked it up to my quad, connected it to the Naze32rev6 board, VTX and Camera. When i power it up I get the camera picture on my goggles, just with no OSD at all. There are lights on the OSD board, and it's clearly routing the video signal through the board, any ideas what I could have done?

I've now updated to the latest cleanflight and also updated to the latest mwosd on the board. Is there something i need to turn on in Cleanflight? Or something i need to configure in mwosd GUI to get something to appear? I assumed that there would be at least a default OSD without having configured it yet.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Google Butt posted:

I should have mentioned that the battery is going on that diatone 215 quad. Is 30c low for that diatone tyrant 215? I should probably buy a 1300 and a 2200 just to see how they feel and go from there.

If you do, I'd be curious to see what difference you see in flight time. The quad you're looking at has very small props and the difference between 1300 and 2200 is like 70-90 grams depending on the battery, right? Obviously you see some increase but I'd be interested to see how much the extra mah is counterbalanced by the extra weight, especially with such small props.

Personally, I've always had really good experiences with Turnigy batteries. I've never worked with FPV (I'm more interested in autonomous flight), so I could be wrong, but don't they normally run on 4S? I was under the impression that the FPV transmitters went off 12 volts. I know I've heard people complain about losing their video with 3S before they lost flight... but that was in relation to a power distribution board so it could have been specific to that.

EDIT: Just looked it up because I was curious, wow, you guys lose your fpv system quick. I'm typically flying until 8-9v but you all are down at like 10.4.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone flying the EMAX RS2205? They good?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Takkaryx posted:

ESC to FC: some ESCs have three going to go the FC, some have two. Signal will be one, and the other(s) will provide the power. The FC doesn't need much juice.

Takkaryx posted:

If your ESC looks like the one you linked, then the black wire is negative and the white is signal. These should connect to pinouts on the FC. Each ESC will have a signal/neg wire leading to the FC.

I came across an article talking about OPTO ESC's and how this type of ESC doesn't provide power to the FC. It sounds like my ESCs are OPTO's? From what i understand i need a separate connection to get power to my flight controller, the ESCs won't supply it. Am i missing something here?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I came across an article talking about OPTO ESC's and how this type of ESC doesn't provide power to the FC. It sounds like my ESCs are OPTO's? From what i understand i need a separate connection to get power to my flight controller, the ESCs won't supply it. Am i missing something here?

That is correct, OPTO ECS's don't have the BEC to provide the 5V to power your flight controller. if you are using a PDB of some variety it should output a regulated 5V which you can use to power your flight controller instead.

ESC's provide a pair or cables to send the signal from the FC to the ESC. Most people only connect the white(signal) cable to the FC, and then either cut off, or solder the black signal cable to a ground connection(I soldered mine to a ground connection to be safe).

With regards to my earlier question about the OSD, it would seem that i may have a PAL/NTSC mismatch causing the failure, switching it over in mwosd GUI should resolve it, I'll find out tonight,

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes but you have to use a 4s to really make them shine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BedBuglet posted:

Yes but you have to use a 4s to really make them shine.
That is the plan eventually.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Slash posted:

That is correct, OPTO ECS's don't have the BEC to provide the 5V to power your flight controller. if you are using a PDB of some variety it should output a regulated 5V which you can use to power your flight controller instead.

ESC's provide a pair or cables to send the signal from the FC to the ESC. Most people only connect the white(signal) cable to the FC, and then either cut off, or solder the black signal cable to a ground connection(I soldered mine to a ground connection to be safe).

Thanks!

Since ESCs normally provide power, is it safe to assume that to power the FC i can connect a red+black wire to 2 of the "trio" of connectors that normally gets connected with the 3-plug from an ESC? (and to take this power from the 5V out on the PDB?
Im not really sure where else to provide power to the Naze32.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Since ESCs normally provide power, is it safe to assume that to power the FC i can connect a red+black wire to 2 of the "trio" of connectors that normally gets connected with the 3-plug from an ESC? (and to take this power from the 5V out on the PDB?
Im not really sure where else to provide power to the Naze32.

Oh yeah, you can absolutely do that... It's a great way to find out what a flight controller looks like when it burns out. The point of a BEC is to provide a stable voltage to your electronics (5v in the case of your FC). The output on an ESC is most certainly anything but that. You have three options really, buy an ESC that has a built in BEC, buy a standalone 5v BEC rated to 1-3A (not sure what your setup draws), or get something like a bridge or a power distribution board with an integrated BEC. I use a bridge on mine because it also lets me monitor the voltage off my battery but I also run a large drone and can afford the added size/weight.

If you're running a smaller drone, I recommend using an ESC with an integrated BEC because you'll save space. If you're going with an external BEC, you can decide if you want to use a LBEC, SBEC, or UBEC. SBECs and UBECs will provide better battery life but may not be the best option since they can suffer from noise issues.

EDIT: Let me clarify something, the power coming off your PDB to your ESCs is NOT 5v. Your PDB is providing direct power from your LiPo battery. The point of an ESC is to regulate that power as controlled by your FC. The ONLY thing that should be connecting to the output of your ESC is a motor. A (typical) BEC is a linear voltage regulator. They take the power off your battery and regulate it to a stable voltage. Sometimes components like PDBs and ESCs have BECs integrated (your ESCs don't because they're opto). My sarcasm aside, do NOT try to somehow jury rig a BEC. You WILL fry your board.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 12, 2016

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes and yes. Make sure your ESC's are beefy enough or they will go up in flames.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

The red bottoms? They are. Also heard good things about zmx v2, which are cheaper and lighter

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

BedBuglet posted:

Oh yeah, you can absolutely do that... It's a great way to find out what a flight controller looks like when it burns out. The point of a BEC is to provide a stable voltage to your electronics (5v in the case of your FC). The output on an ESC is most certainly anything but that. You have three options really, buy an ESC that has a built in BEC, buy a standalone 5v BEC rated to 1-3A (not sure what your setup draws), or get something like a bridge or a power distribution board with an integrated BEC. I use a bridge on mine because it also lets me monitor the voltage off my battery but I also run a large drone and can afford the added size/weight.

If you're running a smaller drone, I recommend using an ESC with an integrated BEC because you'll save space. If you're going with an external BEC, you can decide if you want to use a LBEC, SBEC, or UBEC. SBECs and UBECs will provide better battery life but may not be the best option since they can suffer from noise issues.

EDIT: Let me clarify something, the power coming off your PDB to your ESCs is NOT 5v. Your PDB is providing direct power from your LiPo battery. The point of an ESC is to regulate that power as controlled by your FC. The ONLY thing that should be connecting to the output of your ESC is a motor. A (typical) BEC is a linear voltage regulator. They take the power off your battery and regulate it to a stable voltage. Sometimes components like PDBs and ESCs have BECs integrated (your ESCs don't because they're opto). My sarcasm aside, do NOT try to somehow jury rig a BEC. You WILL fry your board.
He specifically said he'd be using a 5v out from the PDB though? It's pretty common for them to have 5v/12v regulators built in now.

The naze32 can draw power from any of its 6 motor connections, just make sure you don't get the 5v/ground reversed. The ground pin is to the outside of the board and 5v is in the middle.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

sigseven posted:

He specifically said he'd be using a 5v out from the PDB though? It's pretty common for them to have 5v/12v regulators built in now.

The naze32 can draw power from any of its 6 motor connections, just make sure you don't get the 5v/ground reversed. The ground pin is to the outside of the board and 5v is in the middle.

His wording very strongly led me to believe otherwise.
"is it safe to assume that to power the FC i can connect a red+black wire to 2 of the "trio" of connectors that normally gets connected with the 3-plug from an ESC?"
Sounds like he's talking about the three output wires from an ESC that run to your motor. If his PDB has a built in LBEC or SBEC then he can absolutely power off this but the only way he should get power from an ESC is if it has a built in BEC. It also sounded like he thought the ESC was being fed 5V which also isn't true... unless... you know... your battery is at 5V. :cheeky:

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Immediately after the bit you quoted was "(and to take this power from the 5V out on the PDB?"

By 'trio' I'm pretty sure he means the 3-pin servo connectors.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

sigseven posted:

Yeah, my PDB has 5V and 12V out

BedBuglet posted:

His wording very strongly led me to believe otherwise.
"is it safe to assume that to power the FC i can connect a red+black wire to 2 of the "trio" of connectors that normally gets connected with the 3-plug from an ESC?"
Sounds like he's talking about the three output wires from an ESC that run to your motor. If his PDB has a built in LBEC or SBEC then he can absolutely power off this but the only way he should get power from an ESC is if it has a built in BEC. It also sounded like he thought the ESC was being fed 5V which also isn't true... unless... you know... your battery is at 5V. :cheeky:

I don't know many terms in this hobby yet so i am probably using the wrong words. I meant the 3-pin connector that comes from the ESC and goes on top of the Naze32 (this connector is separate from the red and black power wires)

sigseven posted:

Immediately after the bit you quoted was "(and to take this power from the 5V out on the PDB?"

Yup! i will start calling them 3-pin servo connectors from now!

I have no wire to connect my PDB to my FC as the customer support where i bought all my drone parts ensured me i had everything i need. Can i use other wiring or does it have to come from a "drone part supplier"?
I have this 0,38mm^2 copper wire, "BELL WIRE", plastic insulated. Can this power my FC?
I believe it is used for smoke detectors, fire alarms, alarm bells, etc.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

sigseven posted:

That's entirely possible. I guess I'd rather err on the side of caution and give them advice that makes sure they don't burn out a FC.