Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Thoughtless posted:

I never actually got around to watching Twin Peaks, it's just existed on the periphery of my vision as something I probably should watch.

I hope you have an incredibly high tolerance for "quirky."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

I hope you have an incredibly high tolerance for "quirky."

durrr

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Can anyone recommend a good book on the establishment of Israel and 1948 Arab-Israeli war, along with any other periphery material that would be of value?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I've almost finished Mary Beard's SPQR (which is excellent, by the way), and I'm in a historical/classical/pre-classical mood. I'm looking for recent histories or good historical fiction (including historical fantasy, excluding mysteries) set in any of the following:

* Neolithic, Bronze Age, or Iron Age, anywhere in the world.
* Ancient Mesopotamia, or Persia, or India.
* Pre-Roman Europe.
* Classical Greece or Rome (I, Claudius is already on my list; I'll get around to it soon).
* Roman or immediately post-Roman Britain or Germany (I tried reading The Mists of Avalon, it sucked).
* Han Dynasty or pre-Han China.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Time Cowboy posted:

I've almost finished Mary Beard's SPQR (which is excellent, by the way), and I'm in a historical/classical/pre-classical mood. I'm looking for recent histories or good historical fiction (including historical fantasy, excluding mysteries) set in any of the following:

* Pre-Roman Europe.
* Classical Greece or Rome (I, Claudius is already on my list; I'll get around to it soon).
* Roman or immediately post-Roman Britain or Germany (I tried reading The Mists of Avalon, it sucked).

Imperium by Robert Harris is the first book in a trilogy starring Cicero, and involves him, Caesar and everyone else in the late Republic loving each other over constantly in a hilarious fashion. Would recommend, though i'm not sure if the third part is out yet.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I always recommend Allan Massie's Emperor series for historical fic about Rome, they're on par with Graves' I, Claudius

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

savinhill posted:

I always recommend Allan Massie's Emperor series for historical fic about Rome, they're on par with Graves' I, Claudius

That's a big rap, anyone got a second? cos if its close to I, Claudius I wanna read it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeCrotch posted:

Imperium by Robert Harris is the first book in a trilogy starring Cicero, and involves him, Caesar and everyone else in the late Republic loving each other over constantly in a hilarious fashion. Would recommend, though i'm not sure if the third part is out yet.

I'm unaware of a writer of historical fiction set in the classical world better than Mary Renault (Graves is on the same level, but not better). Start with either Last of the Wine, Fire from Heaven, or The King Must Die.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Time Cowboy posted:

* Pre-Roman Europe.

The Assyrian by Nicholas Guild and Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh and for post Roman Britain I'm still partial to the Merlin series by Mary Stewart, but it's more a personal favorite than an unequivocal classic everyone would like.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Colleen McCullough's First Man in Rome series, at least the first couple of volumes which are chronicle the power struggle between Marius and Sulla. Full of intrigue and battles and dcadence and poo poo.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just finished the foundation trilogy which was really awesome. Are the rest of the foundation books as good? And what are some other books or series that take place over the scale of hundreds or thousands of years?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nachos posted:

what are some other books or series that take place over the scale of hundreds or thousands of years?

Everything by James Michener (say, Alaska, just to pick one), James Clavell's Asian Saga (Shogun, Tai-Pan, etc.), and of course Frank Herbert's Dune series.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ulmont posted:

Everything by James Michener (say, Alaska, just to pick one), James Clavell's Asian Saga (Shogun, Tai-Pan, etc.), and of course Frank Herbert's Dune series.

I'd add Edward Rutherfurd's historical novels to that as well.

edited to add: Yeah, the later Foundation books do not have the best reputation among SF fans -- they're mostly pointless brand extension and a not-well-thought-out attempt to consolidate all of Asimov's major works into one overarching world.

There's also a "Second Foundation" trilogy by three authors -- Gregory Benford, Greg Bear, and David Brin -- but I haven't tried it so I can't offer an opinion.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nachos posted:

I just finished the foundation trilogy which was really awesome. Are the rest of the foundation books as good? And what are some other books or series that take place over the scale of hundreds or thousands of years?

I loved Foundation and found the following several books barely adequate. However, I really loved the Empire trilogy, which precedes the Foundation in the same timeline. If you can stand the typical fifties no-characterization pulpy Asimov (and you obviously can), you might like the series.

Another clever Asimov book I can recommend that fits your desired timescale is The End of Eternity.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any other books along the lines of the entertaining DisneyWar and The Men Who Would Be King?
Sorry if that's vague, I'm not sure if I'm asking for like, corporate drama or books about the entertainment industry or both or none of the above, I just really enjoyed those two. Kind of like "if I liked x, then..."

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I've been reading a lot of Lupin stories recently and now I'm interested in the real deal, or at least the closest approximation. Anyone know any good True Crime books about heists and thefts rather than 'orrible murders?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

dordreff posted:

I've been reading a lot of Lupin stories recently and now I'm interested in the real deal, or at least the closest approximation. Anyone know any good True Crime books about heists and thefts rather than 'orrible murders?

You might try The Napoleon Of Crime by Ben Macintyre, about an extremely successful Victorian-era thief named Adam Worth. Sounds like what you're looking for, more or less.

There's also The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Alison Hoover Bartlett. It's not so much about a single caper as it is about a contemporary man who takes advantage of trusting dealers to constantly steal rare books, but I found the book fascinating.

Finally, while it's heavily fictionalized, I've always had a soft spot for Michael Crichton's The Great Train Robbery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dordreff posted:

I've had "Superthief" recommended to me along those lines, but haven't got to it myself (no Kindle version).

There's also a book written by a guy who claimed to be a cat burglar in I think the Florida Keys, which I recall being good beach reading, but I can't google it up now.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Any recommendations for non-fiction similar to The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius? I'd like to read some biographies about figures in early Roman Empire, perhaps about people not necessarily involved in political affairs, but rather writers and/or artists.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Picayune posted:

You might try The Napoleon Of Crime by Ben Macintyre, about an extremely successful Victorian-era thief named Adam Worth. Sounds like what you're looking for, more or less.

There's also The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Alison Hoover Bartlett. It's not so much about a single caper as it is about a contemporary man who takes advantage of trusting dealers to constantly steal rare books, but I found the book fascinating.

Finally, while it's heavily fictionalized, I've always had a soft spot for Michael Crichton's The Great Train Robbery.

Subjunctive posted:

I've had "Superthief" recommended to me along those lines, but haven't got to it myself (no Kindle version).

There's also a book written by a guy who claimed to be a cat burglar in I think the Florida Keys, which I recall being good beach reading, but I can't google it up now.

Thanks! I'll check these out.

Mike Cartwright posted:

Any recommendations for non-fiction similar to The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius? I'd like to read some biographies about figures in early Roman Empire, perhaps about people not necessarily involved in political affairs, but rather writers and/or artists.

Suetonius wrote a similar series of biographies to the Twelve Caesars about important writers called Lives of the Poets. Some of the biographies have fragments missing, but I know Virgil is complete and I think Lucan and Horace are too. He also did Lives of the Rhetoricians and Lives of the Grammarians but I don't know how good those are, or how much was lost, as I've not read them.
Plutarch's biographies (usually called either the Parallel Lives or Plutarch's Lives) are good. They're written as pairs with one focusing on a Roman figure, one on a Greek figure, and comparisons between the two. Most of them are about political figures, though some (like Cicero) doubled as writers or artists. He wrote a lot of them, so it's probably best to find a list and look through for people you might be interested in and just read those.

dordreff fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 18, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

crossposting from the real lit thread. I swear I didn't leave out syrian kurdistan on purpose.

ulvir posted:

anyone got any reqs for kurdish literature (novels or poetry)? whether it's from the diaspora or from within turkish, iraqi or iranian kurdistan doesn't matter

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I love reading but don't get nearly as much time as I like. Occasionally I'll crack open an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, but I'm in the mood for something with a storyline and a plot.

I love a good biography. I'm mainly into historical figures and sports (working through a biography of Bill Veeck at the moment. It's pretty good.) Also, alternate history fascinates me, but only from a historical perspective, not "Nigel and Ethel fall in love in Nazi-controlled London in 1989" or whatever. More "What would the world be like today if X happened?"

Any good recommendations? I'm planning on getting to the library this weekend.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

For an excellent biography I loved "King of Hearts" by G. Wayne Miller, about the surgeon(s) who pioneered open heart surgery. One of those things one with a minimum of thought realizes must have been messy, and the book does a good job of capturing some highs and lows along the way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Retail Slave posted:

Also, alternate history fascinates me, but only from a historical perspective, not "Nigel and Ethel fall in love in Nazi-controlled London in 1989" or whatever. More "What would the world be like today if X happened?"

Don't know about any "mainstream" examples I'd recommend (I do indeed know mainstream examples - just not any I'd go out of my way to recommend :v:) but a few of the British writers on alternatehistory.com have recently gone semi-professional and started up their own eBook (though I think they also do print books) publishing company called Sealion Press, which distributes alternate history novellas. You can check them out here.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

Also, alternate history fascinates me, but only from a historical perspective, not "Nigel and Ethel fall in love in Nazi-controlled London in 1989" or whatever. More "What would the world be like today if X happened?"

Given that it's an anthology of sort stories it's a bit hit and miss, but there are some good stories in The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Given that it's an anthology of sort stories it's a bit hit and miss, but there are some good stories in The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories.

I guess in most of them they don't go extinct.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

I guess in most of them they don't go extinct.

OR DO THEY??!?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is it more essays or short stories with a plot and characters, because I'm looking more for the essays.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 22, 2016

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

Is it more essays or short stories with a plot and characters, because I'm looking more for the essays.

Yeah it's short fiction. For non-fiction you might try If Britain Had Fallen which looks at the Nazi occupation plans for Britain, and what life would have been like in occupied Britain.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

crossposting from the real lit thread. I swear I didn't leave out syrian kurdistan on purpose.

ulvir posted:

anyone got any reqs for kurdish literature (novels or poetry)? whether it's from the diaspora or from within turkish, iraqi or iranian kurdistan doesn't matter

I really hope I don't have to take this request to goddamn 4chan or something

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

Its a small culture in an area that prioritizes folk poetry over written works. There honestly might not be a lot of literature from them, and even less likely that someone here would be an expert on it.

I did some googling and maybe check out Salim Temo? He has a few novels and poems and put together an anthology.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

that dude that Mudkiper just mentioned has an interview where he drops a lot of names http://www.sampsoniaway.org/fearless-ink/2014/09/26/the-rise-of-kurdish-literature/

This is mostly about dudes from the middle ages but the sentence or so mentioning Soviet kurds sounds interesting http://www.kurdishacademy.org/?q=node/51

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm looking for books, fiction or non-fiction, that give realistic predictions what our near future might be like. The focus should be on people, culture and society rather than tech. A slice of life in 2020, 2030, or 2040, for example. I especially want to see books that tackle how the Internet/social media has and will continue to change us.

bowser fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 23, 2016

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
If I had to read one nonfiction book about space travel, which one would it be? I'd like to know more about the moon landings but it could really be anything else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, this thread is going to go travelling for a bit so that the rest of the forums can realize Book Barn is a thing that exists.

Please feel free to bookmark this thread because it may become hard to track for the next few days!

quote:

This is the general "recommend me a book" thread for The Book Barn, SA's own forum for books and book related activities. Like Reading Rainbow, but for Something Awful.

Have you heard of "book" ? Do you think "Book" might be for you? Have you at some point read a book and think others might want to share in your risque predilections?

If so, join in, throw down! Tell people about books you have liked and/or books you would like to know about or books you think other people might like to know about.

Specific guidelines for people looking for suggestions:
  • Try to be clear about what you're looking for.
  • If it's something specific, say so. If it's a vague direction, say so.
  • Sometimes it's helpful to mention an author or title that you already know you like (i.e., "I liked A Song of Ice and Fire, are there any other good books about tits and dragons?")

Specific guidelines for suggestions:
  • Explain why you think people might like the book -- don't just throw out a title and say "it's awesome", explain why ("I liked the parts with the tits, also the parts with the dragons")
  • Try to recommend something specific, whether it be an author or a book.
  • If you're responding to someone's request, and recommend something they didn't ask for, make sure you say why the person asking for romance might enjoy what appears to be a murder-mystery on the surface.
  • If your recommendation is lengthy, try to do a tl;dr sentence or two at the end.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Heh, books? Let me introduce you guys to the greatest work of literature known to man: Bioshock Infinite.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I really like Dark Souls lore, what book should I read?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

internet inc posted:

If I had to read one nonfiction book about space travel, which one would it be? I'd like to know more about the moon landings but it could really be anything else.

I'd probably suggest The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. It'll give you a basic grasp of the history of the early space program (though off the top of my head I can't remember if it goes through to the moon landings or not) and it's by Wolfe so it's well-written annd funny and will give you a good view into the culture of the space program, not just technical details.

Popular Human posted:

I know this was a joke, but Dunsany is pretty much the most Dark Souls-esque writer in terms of the ethereal fantasy feel of the setting.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Fortress_Unvanquishable,_Save_for_Sacnoth

Dunsany owns and pretty much all of the ur-nerd texts (Lovecraft, Tolkien, etc) cribbed off him shamelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Guys the firefly novels are really good.