Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What's the best book with a love story at its center that came out this decade? Preferably one that includes the initial meeting of the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Ras Het posted:

im reading Andrzej Stasiuk's travel book of all the greatest shitholes of Southeastern Europe

Actually this reminds me, anyone got decent travel lit recommendations for me? I'm going on a big trip relatively soon and I'm really lame and like to read stuff about people traveling while I'm traveling

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I don't think pop culture references are automatically terrible. Was it a bit clunky? Yeah. But, whatever. Is that the only part of the passage you had issue with? I think that's the only part that's really toeing the line of "bad", I'd call the rest mediocre and relatively entertaining.

Please don't tell me your other reason is "eww, it's about sex!"

Its adorable you think our issue with the passage is a puritan revulsion to sex. Homie, we read Peter Nadas in here. This ain't poo poo.

Also, its not bad because its a pop culture reference, its bad because its a pop culture reference that wholly replaces meaningful descriptive language in a way that is entirely inorganic. Its also tonally jarring. A literary description of an orgasm should evoke orgasm. It should build and climax. This is clunky and overwrought. There is no empathy in the reader.

Also toe knuckle is an ugly word

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Actually this reminds me, anyone got decent travel lit recommendations for me? I'm going on a big trip relatively soon and I'm really lame and like to read stuff about people traveling while I'm traveling

Bill Bryson's Travels in a Sunburned Land and Walk in the Woods are both good, but shallow and hilarious. Not sure if you're looking for something more impactful

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its adorable you think our issue with the passage is a puritan revulsion to sex. Homie, we read Peter Nadas in here. This ain't poo poo.

Also, its not bad because its a pop culture reference, its bad because its a pop culture reference that wholly replaces meaningful descriptive language in a way that is entirely inorganic. Its also tonally jarring. A literary description of an orgasm should evoke orgasm. It should build and climax. This is clunky and overwrought. There is no empathy in the reader.

Also toe knuckle is an ugly word

Sorry for assuming. I've gotten used to talking to people with an attitude that sex in literature is automatically in "eww bad writing" territory.

Your issues with it do make a lot of sense. I'd argue that the empathy being invoked in this case is more in terms of the protagonist being an awkward weirdo who's stumbled into sex, which the writing reflects. A more serious, "orgasmic" buildup wouldn't make sense and would be inconsistent with the book's tone.

I definitely see why Stephenson's not for everyone, particularly in a "real literature" thread - it's very goofy and nerdy and sometimes obnoxious. Definitely a guilty pleasure, but I'm a fan nonetheless

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Definitely a guilty pleasure, but I'm a fan nonetheless

your opinion is bad and wrong sorry

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

your opinion is bad and wrong sorry

Ugh yeah baby tell me I'm filth

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

blue squares posted:

Bill Bryson's Travels in a Sunburned Land and Walk in the Woods are both good, but shallow and hilarious. Not sure if you're looking for something more impactful

Shallow and hilarious is fine, I'm the guy defending Neal Stephenson after all, but if there are any impactful recommendations I'm certainly down for those as well

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

My issue is mostly with the phrase "toe knuckle" tbqh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

DoctorG0nzo posted:

America by Baudrillard and that other Laurence Sterne one that isn't Tristram Shandy

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Shallow and hilarious is fine, I'm the guy defending Neal Stephenson after all, but if there are any impactful recommendations I'm certainly down for those as well

where are you travelling? I usually like to read about the places and cultures I'm travelling in when I travel

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Oh wait did you mean books about journeys or books you'll find in the Travel section of your bookstore?

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

corn in the fridge posted:

where are you travelling? I usually like to read about the places and cultures I'm travelling in when I travel

The UK, starting in Ireland, hitting Scotland and England too. First time out of the US.

And I mean books about travelling, not travel guides. Like road novels.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

DoctorG0nzo posted:

The UK, starting in Ireland, hitting Scotland and England too. First time out of the US.
And I mean books about travelling, not travel guides. Like road novels.

oh i live in the uk and i honestly can't think of anything interesting or intrinsic to the isles although im sure there must be loads. Watching the English by Kate Fox is a cute little sociological look at what makes the English English if you're up for some non fiction

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

While in Ireland read Flann O'Brien and while in th UK don't read anything because no one has written anything good on this stupid island for like 200 years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

a cute little sociological look at what makes the English English

repression and empire?

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I've been thinking about checking out O'Brien. His stuff is supposed to be pretty dense but if I read and mostly got Ulysses will I be fine? Also, what's a good spot to start with him? I've only heard much about At Swim-Two-Birds.

Haven't heard about Watching the English, but I'll check that out, thanks

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
watching the english si good, bryson's books are good, paul theroux is good, when he's not annoying, coling thubron is good, naipaul's among the blievers should be good if terribly cranky, but if you've read theroux, that shouldn't bother you.

the best travel book i've read though, is Ma Jian's Red Dust: A Path Through China: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92325.Red_Dust

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

im reading Andrzej Stasiuk's travel book of all the greatest shitholes of Southeastern Europe

do you like it? it's been on my radar for a while, and southeastern europe should be worse than northeastern europe, and i'm all for feeling smug for once.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
For travelling in England read The Rings of Saturn by Sebald and in general read Chatwin for example In Patagonia.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

like the famous “jump into hyperspace” scene from Star Wars.

Man thanks to the post this was responding to I thought all you guys were talking about Galapagos by Vonnegut and I was like "Wow he must have gotten awful with age :smith: "

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Also I'm reading scifi and fantasy now because I have a fever and even that is difficult to follow, but I had to read that Stephenson quote three or four times to understand what the hell he's talking about

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

true.spoon posted:

For travelling in England read The Rings of Saturn by Sebald and in general read Chatwin for example In Patagonia.

Good suggestions as well!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I've been thinking about checking out O'Brien. His stuff is supposed to be pretty dense but if I read and mostly got Ulysses will I be fine? Also, what's a good spot to start with him? I've only heard much about At Swim-Two-Birds.

I would describe O'Brien's stuff as anything but "dense," certainly nowhere near the level of Ulysses, even though people tend to draw a lot of comparisons between him and Joyce. At Swim-Two-Birds is a genuinely fun and hilarious read. A bit tougher than, oh, Three Men in a Boat or anything by Oscar Wilde, but nevertheless a page-turner that happens to conceal some jaw-dropping depths. The Third Policeman is bleaker but, again, awfully funny.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Back to the topic of Greek translation, can anyone weigh in on Fitts and Fitzgerald's translation of the Oedipus Cycle?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Back to the topic of Greek translation, can anyone weigh in on Fitts and Fitzgerald's translation of the Oedipus Cycle?

Dunno about others but Fagles' is fantastic

Burning Rain posted:

do you like it? it's been on my radar for a while, and southeastern europe should be worse than northeastern europe, and i'm all for feeling smug for once.

I like it yeah - I'm not entirely sure what the point of the whole thing, this sort of mental mapping of Eastern Europe seems pretty banal, but its pretty funny when he goes to Slovenia and is like "this feels and looks like Europe. Not a broken down Lada in sight. I do not belong here". I guess it's some kind of humanistic vision of unity in misery

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I personally think the best yearly award is the National Book Award followed by the Pulitzer. The NBA seems to hit "it" a lot more than the Pulitzter.

As for year end lists, I like the New York Times Notable 100 and Publishers Weekly Best of. NPR's Reading Concierge is nice too, if not a little aimless.

Or you could just make me, Mel is your mother loving hook up.

Ok, so what's good literature to pick up which was released this year?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Certainly not good but not offensively bad either

I am completely non-sarcastically eager to find out what your definition of offensively bad is

e: but yeah read Sebald and Chatwin

dont call ireland part of the UK if you plan on keeping your teeth long-term

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 19, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

End Of Worlds posted:

I am completely non-sarcastically eager to find out what your definition of offensively bad is

e: but yeah read Sebald and Chatwin

To me the bottom of the barrel garbage, offensively bad poo poo is either poo poo with a really transparent agenda or just really insufferable poo poo like Ernest Cline, whoever the gently caress did Fifty Shades (low hanging fruit I know), a lot of hack fantasy poo poo (gently caress Piers Anthony tbh)

Compared to that I think Neal Stephenson is solidly entertaining. I think it helps that I have the context for that passage, it's totally in-character and the pop culture references are usually minimal in the book (that part's actually pretty uncharacteristic imo)

Also, thanks for all the recommendations, people. Added em all to goodreads and most look up my alley.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

beergod posted:

Ok, so what's good literature to pick up which was released this year?

All the Followed by Gabriel Urza
In the Language of Miracles by Rajia Hassib
Aquarium by David Vann
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
I am Radar by Reif Larsen
Black River by SM Hulse
Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan

DoctorG0nzo posted:

To me the bottom of the barrel garbage, offensively bad poo poo is either poo poo with a really transparent agenda or just really insufferable poo poo like Ernest Cline, whoever the gently caress did Fifty Shades (low hanging fruit I know), a lot of hack fantasy poo poo (gently caress Piers Anthony tbh)

Xanth hater discovered

Shame the Xanth hater

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Xanth hater discovered

Shame the Xanth hater

I give Xanth slight credit for being a parody. Slight. It's better than dreck by like, R.A. Salvatore or Goodkind

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I give Xanth slight credit for being a parody. Slight. It's better than dreck by like, R.A. Salvatore or Goodkind

Ha I tricked you into giving faint praise to Piers Anthony get owned scrub

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ha I tricked you into giving faint praise to Piers Anthony get owned scrub

you bastard :argh:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There's a thread you guys might want to check out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Is that the place to talk about Margaret Atwood?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cloks posted:

Is that the place to talk about Margaret Atwood?

I'm not biting. The line between literature and not-literature is debatable, but I think we can all agree that it's somewhere north of "hell, least it ain't Piers Anthony!"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Third Policeman, immediately.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

At Swim-Two-Birds is a masterpiece and Third Policeman is not as good but still really good. It does have a bit where a policeman is talking about how riding a bicycle with no seat causes damage to your organs and the narrator asks "which organs?" and the policeman says "both of them".

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
If Third Policeman is "good starting point but not the masterpiece" that's perfect. Starting with an author's best/most popular novel can be a bummer if you delve into the rest and it just doesn't live up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Certainly not good but not offensively bad either. People are reacting like it's at the level of some poo poo from like, Ready Player One or something. I'd say it (the passage, and the book as a whole) actually had similar weaknesses to that but was executed at least competently instead of being a dribbling mess

It is offensively bad if you have the slightest semblance of taste, like wow there's a star wars reference and some stupid clumsy phrasing about about semen. I want poetically beautiful descriptions of sex, fucker.

CestMoi posted:

While in Ireland read Flann O'Brien and while in th UK don't read anything because no one has written anything good on this stupid island for like 200 years.

Sounds like you need to read noted Hitler supporter and general cool guy Wyndham Lewis