Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Flann O'Brien can get considerably more difficult if you're not a native English speaker. I know I really struggled w/ it. Then again, my ex-colleague once explained me a joke from one of Flann's books for like five minutes, and at no point it came close to being funny, so maybe it's just my brain that's broken. Also, my copy of At Swim-Two Birds had a tiny font and the words were running together at some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All the Followed by Gabriel Urza
In the Language of Miracles by Rajia Hassib
Aquarium by David Vann
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
I am Radar by Reif Larsen
Black River by SM Hulse
Man Tiger by Eka Kurniawan

Xanth hater discovered

Shame the Xanth hater

Thanks. Last year?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
As far as translated books published in English, the two main prizes to look into are Man Booker International Prize (formerly Independent Foreign Fiction Prize as International Booker was author-only prize) for more straightforward 'literary fiction' - i.e., like the regular Man Booker or Pulitzer -, or Best Translated Book Award (for prose - they also have poetry award) for generally more daring and experimental stuff. There are exceptions, of course.

I do recommend going through shortlists instead of just jumping straight to winners to see if anything seems particularly interesting to you there, as winners often are chosen as a comprmise, I guess.

Both awards have recently announced their shortlists for this year, by the way, so you can check those out.

BTBA: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/98879.Best_Translated_Book_Award_Fiction_Shortlist_2016
MBIP: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/98800.Man_Booker_International_Prize_Shortlist_2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's cool that people are talking about Agualusa

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Burning Rain posted:

As far as translated books published in English, the two main prizes to look into are Man Booker International Prize (formerly Independent Foreign Fiction Prize as International Booker was author-only prize) for more straightforward 'literary fiction' - i.e., like the regular Man Booker or Pulitzer -, or Best Translated Book Award (for prose - they also have poetry award) for generally more daring and experimental stuff. There are exceptions, of course.

I do recommend going through shortlists instead of just jumping straight to winners to see if anything seems particularly interesting to you there, as winners often are chosen as a comprmise, I guess.

Both awards have recently announced their shortlists for this year, by the way, so you can check those out.

BTBA: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/98879.Best_Translated_Book_Award_Fiction_Shortlist_2016
MBIP: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/98800.Man_Booker_International_Prize_Shortlist_2016

This is relevant to my interests. Thank you.

And please stop trying to turn the ONE non-SF/F thread in this forum into a sci-fi discussion. I refrain from talking about Gene Wolfe and Sam Delany here, you should be able to stop yourself from typing the words 'Piers Anthony', jesus loving christ.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Popular Human posted:

This is relevant to my interests. Thank you.

And please stop trying to turn the ONE non-SF/F thread in this forum into a sci-fi discussion. I refrain from talking about Gene Wolfe and Sam Delany here, you should be able to stop yourself from typing the words 'Piers Anthony', jesus loving christ.

You have like 10 posts in this thread, gently caress off

My favorite science fiction book is the Time Traveler's Wife. That book is so good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

beergod posted:

Thanks. Last year?

Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson
The Cold Song by Linn Ullmann
Lila by Marilynne Robinson
All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld
A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing by Eimear McBride
Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique
The Kept by James Scott
This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Lmao there's an author called Wiley Cash and he's a white american dude

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lila by Marilynne Robinson

How does this book work if a) you haven't read any of the other Gilead books and b) you don't care for fiction primarily centered around religion

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

You have like 10 posts in this thread, gently caress off

if we study your posts in this thread, we find an inverse relationship between number of posts and quality of posts. boom. roasted and toasted.

The only literary prize I follow is the Nobel. There are so many important works that I haven't gotten around to that are like probably way more enriching or culturally significant than whatever won the Prix Goncourt or the Man Booker or whatever. Like would it be better for u to read Pilgrim's Progress or A Visit from the Goon Squat?

There was an extremely short period in my life where I thought it would be cool to keep up with lots of book prizes. I did some cross referencing to see what books from the past several years won lots of prizes, and that Hilary Mantel book Wolf Hall won lots, so I read it, guess what it's not very good.

But if you just follow the Nobel, then you only have to read like 2 new books every year to get a good feel for the winner's style and like have some skin in the game, and then you can go back to reading Pessoa or Borges or Bolano or whatever is kool & spiritually enriching.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Reading new books is an epic fail

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I agree that most stuff that goes up for contemporary literature prizes is awful middle-class divorce genre fiction, but Wolf Hall is phenomenal.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

peanut- posted:

I agree that most stuff that goes up for contemporary literature prizes is awful middle-class divorce genre fiction, but Wolf Hall is phenomenal.

Enough people keep saying this that I'm thinking I might have to pick it up, despite the fact it really really doesn't seem to be the kind of book I'd like.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Ras het must be Latin for really stupid opinions posted in this thread

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

actually it is the opposite!

david crosby posted:

The only literary prize I follow is the Nobel. There are so many important works that I haven't gotten around to that are like probably way more enriching or culturally significant than whatever won the Prix Goncourt or the Man Booker or whatever. Like would it be better for u to read Pilgrim's Progress or A Visit from the Goon Squat?

The reason I like modern fiction is because classic literature has already been dissected and prepared. Its impossible to read Shakespeare, for example, without being influenced by 400 years of critical and cultural commentary. I find it hard to have a perspective on that kind of fiction I can call "my own" because I am not interacting directly with the text as much as I am interacting with other readings of the text.

That is not an issue with contemporary lit.

blue squares posted:

How does this book work if a) you haven't read any of the other Gilead books and b) you don't care for fiction primarily centered around religion

Gilead is the best novel of the 21st century and gently caress you rear end in a top hat read it. You can skip Home though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

actually it is the opposite!

The reason I like modern fiction is because classic literature has already been dissected and prepared. Its impossible to read Shakespeare, for example, without being influenced by 400 years of critical and cultural commentary. I find it hard to have a perspective on that kind of fiction I can call "my own" because I am not interacting directly with the text as much as I am interacting with other readings of the text.

For me, it's because I live in a very different world than the authors of classic literature. I want to read artists commenting on life as it is today. I know many things about being human are timeless, but I just find art that engages with contemporary life directly to be much more interesting and rewarding.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Saying you wouldn't like Gilead because you don't like books about religion is like saying you wouldn't like Gravity's Rainbow because you don't like books about war.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Calm down, I'll read it this summer

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I only read the second part Bring Up the Bodies, because I could get that for free, and it was A Good Book. A very well written and evocative historical fiction that explores the power mechanisms inan ineteresting way, but not much more than taht. If that's the greatest work of literature of recent years the isles have to offer, I do hope people will switch to translated stuff.

That actually ties in with my interest in contemporary international lit. prizes: I follow them not necessarily because I think that there's a progression in literature, and books of 2015 are 40% better than books of 1957, but because I'm interested in new & different approaches to prose. Reading and re-reading Borges and Pessoa and Mantel, even if they're kool & good, would get me bored stiff. Scanning any shortlist - or especially longlist - of any BTBA, i find more stuff that seems interesting to me than most of the other stuff that you see in bookshops and online discussions, which is why I post about them here.

Another plus is that intenratainal book prizes are different from regular Booker or Goncourt, or Pulitzer in that the books (or authors) generally tend to be a best-of selection of the last few decades of writing around the globe, as it takes time (and several failed attempts, usually) for books to filter through to publishers and make their way to English-language market. It's simply more likely that there are more great books among the global attempts of the last few decades than any particular year in any particular country or language. And if I find one, I do get excited - if nothing else, it's because it feels a bit silly to go around telling people, wow, I just read this Bolano dude, he's really good, you should check him out.

serious posting in erious lit thread like a gangsta

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is "intenratainal" a word? I don't feel like looking it up. It sorta looks like it could be one

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't read modern American Literature because it seems to be almost entirely about poo poo I don't care about :wom:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really want to read The Dying Grass but it is an intimidating book. Long and difficult to understand. The Washington Post calls it the reading experience of a lifetime, but that may be because that's how long it takes to get through it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

no!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

blue squares posted:

I really want to read The Dying Grass but it is an intimidating book. Long and difficult to understand. The Washington Post calls it the reading experience of a lifetime, but that may be because that's how long it takes to get through it

lol i looked it up and saw "1,356pp." and thought it was some weird thing like volume 1. 356 pages

:yikes:

prob still try to read it though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheQat posted:

lol i looked it up and saw "1,356pp." and thought it was some weird thing like volume 1. 356 pages

:yikes:

prob still try to read it though

No has ever accused Vollman of being concise

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

This, ftw. If a new author is actually good, then ppl with good taste will talk about him/her and I'll get 2 it that way. Examples: Bolaņo, krasnahorkai (Idk how to spell it)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

Is "intenratainal" a word? I don't feel like looking it up. It sorta looks like it could be one

it should be one

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There should be a separate thread for the stupid people to talk about bad contemporary books about middle aged people dealing with the fact that rural America is a metaphor for the emptiness of their soul and this thread can be kept for the good posters.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

david crosby posted:

This, ftw. If a new author is actually good, then ppl with good taste will talk about him/her and I'll get 2 it that way. Examples: Bolaņo, krasnahorkai (Idk how to spell it)

gently caress Roberto Baloney

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

There should be a separate thread for the stupid people to talk about bad contemporary books about middle aged people dealing with the fact that rural America is a metaphor for the emptiness of their soul and this thread can be kept for the good posters.

so where would you go?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

CestMoi posted:

The phiz book thread has a long track record of driving out americanbookdudes

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

I love Vollmann, but I read the first few vignettes and put it aside for a time in the future when I have no serious obligations for like a month. Which means I'll likely not pick it up again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish I were a good poster. At least I can properly employ the subjunctive.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

And if I find one, I do get excited - if nothing else, it's because it feels a bit silly to go around telling people, wow, I just read this Bolano dude, he's really good, you should check him out.

Why is that silly? I still get excited about Beethoven, Schubert, and Morbid Angel, why should I feel self conscious when making conversation about Art I Enjoy? even if it is old.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
That s true in some way: I've certainly had some interesting conversations about Don Quixote or w/e, but it's less likely you'll sell reading Cervantes to some guy or girl who haven't read him yet. Your voice would be just one of a million saying that this book is great. And it feels great to recommend an book to somebody you know is a big reader, and have him coming back to say: wow, that really was great, I'd never known about it.

I mean, generally ppl don't read literature anyway, so it doesn't matter, but in this thread or other places where ppl are better read, I'd rather talk about something I've enjoyed that I haven't seen discussed as much before rather than saying, Pynchon is really cool, eh? it doesn't mean you shouldn't post about the big names, because it is real lit and all, but it generally doesn't get me going, ya know.

With all these convos about McCarthy or DeLillo or w/e I feel like I'm at a party where some dude comes up to you and starts telling that you really should listen to Pink Floyd, man, it'd really blow your mind. I nod and we talk about favourite songs, but the odds are we've had this same convo a hundred times before, and it's not terribly exciting unless you've also only listened to them recently (which can be the case on SA and elsewhere) - or you are high, which is why there should be an automatic probation given to anybody who posts in this thread sober.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not all old lit is "classic." Of course if you like analyzing a work on your own you would not have much fun with the most famous writer in history. But there is also 400 years of lesser known fiction written after Shakespeare, and unlike contemporary fiction, you wouldn't be going in on it blind of its quality

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i bought a copy of Mason & Dixon a while back and i keep looking at it thinking i wanna read that but the missus bought me a kindle for my birthday and i cant be bothered to open real books anymore

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

What if Scribbler Moon is homage to Ernest Cline and Jim Butcher, designed to own all sci-fi haters of the future who have canonised Atwood. "Gotcha,LUL"
We'll never even know

mallamp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bandiet posted:

Not all old lit is "classic." Of course if you like analyzing a work on your own you would not have much fun with the most famous writer in history. But there is also 400 years of lesser known fiction written after Shakespeare, and unlike contemporary fiction, you wouldn't be going in on it blind of its quality

ok but why bother hunting down 400 year old books no one gave a poo poo about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ok but why bother hunting down 400 year old books no one gave a poo poo about

"Well, I can certainly see why this didn't stand the test of time"

* throws old rear end book into open trash can fire immediately after finishing it *