Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Are there any good, tutorials for ESP-8266+arduino nano/uno? I'm struggling with basic connectivity.

Through googling I got the blynk+esp8266 libraries working using this tutorial, but I'd like to use other libraries.
https://www.hackster.io/nolan-mathews/connect-to-blynk-using-esp8266-as-arduino-uno-wifi-shield-m1-46a453

I cannot even get my ESP to connect to my wi-fi network using these libraries:
https://github.com/ekstrand/ESP8266wifi
ITEADLIB_Arduino_ESP8266, which is deprecated I see, https://github.com/itead/ITEADLIB_Arduino_WeeESP8266

The next step will be getting the arduino to send and receive UDP broadcast messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You know you can program the ESP-8266 directly in the Arduino IDE, right? Unless you're doing a bunch of analog inputs, the ESP-8266 has similar memory and a way faster microprocessor than the Arduino.

Here is my Arduino sketch for an ESP-8266 to connect to my wifi and post data to thingspeak via it's API (and blink an LED while doing it on one of the pins):

http://pastebin.com/Jrt7idiZ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Look up some tutorials on finite state machines and implementation methods for C.

This is the correct answer but it's also not super helpful for a guy at his level. Check out the Wikipedia page on "finite state machine" and try to imagine what it's like to read that when you don't even know what a global variable is.

SkunkDuster, you need to specifically look at the Arduino switch/case examples in File > Examples > 05.Control. The switch/case structure (babyeatingpsychopath has posted a version of it as well) is the most straightforward way to give your program a bunch of different "modes" that are independent of one another.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

You know you can program the ESP-8266 directly in the Arduino IDE, right? Unless you're doing a bunch of analog inputs, the ESP-8266 has similar memory and a way faster microprocessor than the Arduino.

Here is my Arduino sketch for an ESP-8266 to connect to my wifi and post data to thingspeak via it's API (and blink an LED while doing it on one of the pins):

http://pastebin.com/Jrt7idiZ
Thank you! You caused me to rethink my learning path and future projects. I realized its time I learned how to use SPI and i2c. It'll cost me a little bit more, but should be easier all around.

Luckily I already have a NodeMCU ESP breakout board I can start playing with.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
:woop: First successful project brainstormed, breadboarded, breadboarded again, soldered, unsoldered (x100, don't solder in a room with low light or for several hours at once), and sort of cased together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jrRzV0Fho

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's cool, congrats! What do the resulting photos/videos look like?

I'm almost done with one of the projects too, but am having an issue moving it over to a Pro Mini (or just the chip if I had one) for size. The CH340G programmer's LED doesn't turn on and it gets very hot quickly when connected to the 'duino. The pins on the programmer and Pro Mini are:
  • DTR
  • RXD/TXO
  • TXD/RXI
  • VCC
  • CTS/GND
  • GND/GND
So I thought I connected the pins appropriately (skipping CTS and trying to swap RX/TX) but having two GND on the Arduino is... a bit suspicious. Still, when I noticed the issue and changed it to the other GND, the result seemed to be the same.

Any ideas what could be going wrong or how to debug this?

Edit: gently caress, I think the board is busted. I tried powering it directly, and while GND and RAW do nothing, GND and VCC shorted out the power supply. The corresponding programming headers are also shorted together. Not sure if my first attempt caused that it it was already broken. I know it's jut $1 on ebay but I don't want to wait :mad:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 10, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
https://123d.circuits.io/lab?utm_content=buffer7d2f5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This looks like a pretty cool way to learn stuff.

As for quality of my camera, not too good. Only 2MP. I should figure out how to focus it and adjust settings if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd60Sxf1P1o

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm back, with a money saving question about PCF8574s. I need to use 2 PCF8574s in an ESP-8266 project. One for an LCD and one for a 4x4 keypad.

Can I use these "LCD" breakout boards as i2c i/o boards instead of stand alone i2c i/o extension boards? The cost savings are quite high.

~3 USD
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21607801757116

~1 USD
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21407301390505

The LCD boards don't have the extra i2c extension headers, or address jumpers, but I don't think that's a huge problem. I can ignore the potentiometer because I won't be using that pin. Luckily I'm not building for power efficiency yet, so I can ignore the power LED.
http://masteringarduino.blogspot.tw/2013/12/lcdi2c.html

I'm not ready to start etching my own boards, or start doing SMD soldering. A 16 pin DIP will cost as much as one of these LCD breakout boards. So if I can use these in my projects, great! Using ESP-01s with i2c might ultimately be cheaper than using NodeMCU boards. If this is possible, I may even add another LCD i2c board to get more i/o's.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

politicorific posted:

I'm back, with a money saving question about PCF8574s. I need to use 2 PCF8574s in an ESP-8266 project. One for an LCD and one for a 4x4 keypad.

Can I use these "LCD" breakout boards as i2c i/o boards instead of stand alone i2c i/o extension boards? The cost savings are quite high. Good thing I ordered 2 of each,

My boards arrived, I discovered this... guess I get to learn how to do SMD soldering sooner than I expected:

The answer to my original question appears to be yes, it is possible to use these cheaper i2c boards instead of the more expensive ones. However, the i2c keypad library is a mess; it was never updated to handle arduino 1.0 - I tried fixing it using the suggestions I found, but it didn't work. http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2CPortExpanderAndKeypads

The cheaper board's address appears to be 0x27, whereas the more expensive one is 0x38 - I determined using this: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

I was most interested in figuring out where the PFC8574's i/o pins are on the cheaper board. Here's the pin out.

pre:
i2cLCD 1   2   3  4  5  6 7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16
1602   VSS VDD V0 RS RW E D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 A  K
PCF8574           P0 P1 P2            P4 P5 P6 P7    P3
I used the more expensive board to connect to the LCD and discovered that P1 can be freed up and RW grounded. I assume RW low is for putting the LCD shift registers into write mode, and RW high is for read mode. I don't need to read data already written to the LCD, so I may strip that functionality out of the library to regain use of that pin. Also, the Interrupt pin does not appear to be connected on the cheaper i2c LCD board. Not a problem for me, but it might be for others.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

politicorific posted:

My boards arrived, I discovered this... guess I get to learn how to do SMD soldering sooner than I expected:

Wow that's a pretty amazing error. They obviously do absolutely no testing at all and just slapped parts on a board and threw it through the oven. If people are wondering if it's worth buying dirt cheap stuff from eBay, this is the kind of stuff you get. At least you're not out a ton of cash.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Wow that's a pretty amazing error. They obviously do absolutely no testing at all and just slapped parts on a board and threw it through the oven. If people are wondering if it's worth buying dirt cheap stuff from eBay, this is the kind of stuff you get. At least you're not out a ton of cash.

I just got a prototyping shield that the through holes for each resistor aren't wide enough so the resistors aren't flush with the board.

On an unrelated note, I accidentally mixed up wires and sent 12V pulsing through my Arduino with a short. Goodbye Arduino.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
What a day!
http://imgur.com/nBlD9Qz

I figured I'm going to be making a lot of different projects, so I should build my own programming station. The programmer plugs into the four pins at the top. The switch at the top powers on the unit (red LED)and the switch at the bottom is for putting it into regular mode(green LED, but I just finished uploading a sketch from the Arduino IDE) or boot loader mode. I also have GPIO0 and GPIO2 broken out. In this photo I have blink running on 2 LEDs. I thought I had a short circuit and began pulling apart the board(actually removed the 100uf cap) until I remembered that the ESP-8266 pulls too much current and the PL2303 usb programmer will start freaking out. I'll incorporate a better power option later, and probably do something with a transistor switch to indicate whether it's in bootloader or regular mode.

This tutorial was helpful for getting the pinouts correct:
https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/esp8266-01-using-arduino-ide-67a124

And again, this tutorial was good for firmware flashing information:
https://www.hackster.io/nolan-mathe...ng___&offset=38

Also, good god is Windows 10 awful for python. I used my chromebook to reflash the espys, and PC for uploading sketches.

I'm very satisfied.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 16, 2016

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

politicorific posted:

SMD was daunting to me until I was forced to do it as part of my job. Once I did it a couple times, I realized it was a lot easier than I had imagined. A hot air rework station is great for removal of the chip if you can get the plastic parts off the board before heating it up. A microscope and flux pen make reinstalling the chip very easy. Just soak the leads with flux and tap tap tap with the soldering iron tip to flow the joints. I use 450c temp on the hot air and 400c on the soldering iron and that seems to work pretty well.

Does anybody have any wiring coloring schemes that work well for them? I've looked to see if there are any standards for jumper wires and there aren't, so I've just been using the ATX standard for BLK(COM), RED(5V), YLO(12V), and ORN(3,3V) power wires but haven't come up with any good scheme for other stuff like INPUT, OUTPUT, TX DATA, RX DATA, Bias, etc.

edit: I'd reflow that SCL connection.

edit 2: The is a functional (I didn't say good) rework unit. I've purchased 5 of them between work and home and they do the job well enough even if the build quality and features aren't that great. Pick whatever one is cheapest. I'm pretty sure they are all identical units that are rebranded.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hot+air+rework+853

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

Does anybody have any wiring coloring schemes that work well for them? I've looked to see if there are any standards for jumper wires and there aren't, so I've just been using the ATX standard for BLK(COM), RED(5V), YLO(12V), and ORN(3,3V) power wires but haven't come up with any good scheme for other stuff like INPUT, OUTPUT, TX DATA, RX DATA, Bias, etc.

Well, if your pins have numbers, you can use the resistor color code. Ribbon cables for instance are usually arranged in that order.

I've seen a lot of pseudo-standards used by specific manufacturers or in specific industries (e.g. on most motorcycles, the right side turn signals use pale blue wires, the left ones use orange) but never anything that's actually defined anywhere. I tend to use

GND: black
Vcc: red
higher voltage (e.g. 12v in a predominantly 5v system): orange
inputs (e.g. the signal pin on a sensor) : green
outputs (e.g. PWM output to a MOSFET): yellow

If you have a whole bunch of parallel inputs and outputs...well, that's why you bought a multimeter with audible continuity testing, right?

I also use a lot of I2C devices, so I usually go with

SCL: white
SDA: blue

This all falls apart when you start using any devices that have their own wires, though. And even manufacturers of a super common otherwise-standardized device can't figure it out. I looooove telling my students "Okay, a servo's ground line is the black one. Except when it's brown, or white. White is also sometimes the signal line except when it's yellow, or orange. But it won't be orange when the 5v line is orange. Good luck!"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Simpler Arduino Uno programs should be able to compile as-is on an Arduino Zero, right?

I need a programmer for my ESCs of my quadcopter, and it appears that an Uno can do this job just fine. It essentially just relays data between the virtual COM port and the 1-wire connection to the ESC. But I have a spare Zero instead.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I'm trying to configure the INT0 interrupt to act like a one-shot edge detector that will monitor some signal IN_PIN for an upward transition and then briefly pulse OUT_PIN before going back to being quiet for a while.

I stripped down my code to what is shown below, where I periodically enable INT0 in the main loop and disable it in its' own ISR to make it a one-shot.

code:
#define IN_PIN 2    // external interrupt INT0 input
#define OUT_PIN 6   // gpio pin output

void setup() {
  pinMode(IN_PIN, INPUT);
  pinMode(OUT_PIN, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(OUT_PIN, LOW);
  EICRA = (1 << ISC01) | (1 << ISC00);  // fire INT0 on rising edge
}

void loop() {
  delay(10);          // simulate waiting for PC to enable interrupt
  EIFR = 0;           // clear any existing interrupt flags
  EIMSK = (1<<INT0);  // enable INT0 interrupt
}

ISR(INT0_vect) {
  digitalWrite(OUT_PIN, HIGH);// pulse output to show interrupt happened
  EIMSK = 0;            // disable INT0 interrupt (this causes problems?)
}
The problem is that when I do this the phase of OUT_PIN doesn't seem to be connected to the upward edge transition of IN_PIN:

As I was messing around with the code I noticed that removing the final EIMSK=0 line in the ISR caused the output pulses to line up with the positive edge transitions of the input pulses, but of course now we loose the triggerable one-shot behavior that I was hoping for:

Any ideas as to what causes setting EMISK=0 to make INT0 go crazy like this? A also tried more carefully making the bits I wanted to change in case some of the reserved bits in that register were connected to something important, aka EMISK&=0xFC but it didn't change anything.

e: less table-breaking images

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 19, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Combat Pretzel posted:

Simpler Arduino Uno programs should be able to compile as-is on an Arduino Zero, right?

I need a programmer for my ESCs of my quadcopter, and it appears that an Uno can do this job just fine. It essentially just relays data between the virtual COM port and the 1-wire connection to the ESC. But I have a spare Zero instead.

Yeah most libraries support the Zero now, and all the basic Arduino functions work fine too. One thing to watch out for though is that the I/O on the Zero is 3.3V and not 5V like the Uno. So if you have stuff going to digital inputs be careful that it's 3.3V instead of 5V. You probably won't kill the chip if it is, but better safe than sorry.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, I have VCC, ground and signal. If I put 5V on the first two and then connect the signal wire to a GPIO pin, this should work, right?

I mean, the flight controller is based on an STM32, which should also be 3.3V. The ESC gets power from the LiPo at 11.1V and only the signal wire is hooked to the FC.

--edit: I figure I should power my quad later today and measure how much volts pad through signal.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 19, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're worried about it, you can always stick a pair of resistors on the signal line for level shifting.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PDP-1 posted:

I'm trying to configure the INT0 interrupt to act like a one-shot edge detector that will monitor some signal IN_PIN for an upward transition and then briefly pulse OUT_PIN before going back to being quiet for a while.

I stripped down my code to what is shown below, where I periodically enable INT0 in the main loop and disable it in its' own ISR to make it a one-shot.

code:

void setup() {
  pinMode(IN_PIN, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
}

ISR(INT0_vect) {
}
If you're comfortable enough using EIMSK registers, maybe you could skip using digitalWrite and send values directly to the pin registers instead. Also, put another (lightweight) pin write in the loop and toggle it when you're re-enabling INT0. Pull that up on the scope and see when that's occurring.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, I've ordered another Uno. Plenty of multicopter stuff is 5V, and I can do other poo poo with it than with a simple programmer, while not that much more expensive.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there any good write ups for doing controls with an LCD screen?

Example of what I'm talking about is I have screens that go through a setup process and then run something.

Screen 1: Check Motors
Screen 2: Take Test Measurement and make Adjustments
Screen 3: Run Program

I feel like my code is really messy and not well organized. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a way to make it all look neater?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

PDP-1 posted:

code:

void setup() {
  pinMode(IN_PIN, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
}

ISR(INT0_vect) {
}
EIFR bits are cleared by writing 1, not 0. It would be strange if that fixed your problem, but it's worth a shot.

Otherwise I would guess that the interrupt has a little bit of setup time between getting enabled and firing off, and hitting the enable a hundred times a second is causing issues. You could leave the interrupt enabled and use a flag to control whether or not it pulses the output pin. Or even set a flag in the interrupt, and use the main loop to respond to the flag. That would minimize the hardware access you're doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, maybe it applies here too. When I was writing the PWM code on my Arduino Zero, whenever I set a flag, I had to run a while() loop waiting until the CPU acknowledged it to be set before proceeding.

--edit: Sorta like this:

CPUFLAG |= FLAG_FOO;
while(!(CPUFLAG & FLAG_FOO));

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 20, 2016

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

JawnV6 posted:

If you're comfortable enough using EIMSK registers, maybe you could skip using digitalWrite and send values directly to the pin registers instead. Also, put another (lightweight) pin write in the loop and toggle it when you're re-enabling INT0. Pull that up on the scope and see when that's occurring.

Thanks for the comments. I added a second output pin to show when INT0 was getting enabled and it revealed that INT0 was firing off instantly after being turned on.

I read up on how interrupts are generated and found this:

So basically you have to write a 1 to the flag bits to set them to 0, as clearly spelled out on one line buried in the 660 page datasheet. I had been writing a 0 to EIFR to make it 0 like some kind of goddamn fool. :downs:

Anyway, after making that one change everything is working great and one-shotting like I wanted with pretty tight timing.

Captain Cool posted:

EIFR bits are cleared by writing 1, not 0. It would be strange if that fixed your problem, but it's worth a shot.

See, this guy read the 660 page manual cover-to-cover. :)

It actually did fix the issue, and there doesn't seem to be much of a set-up time needed according to my scope - maybe a handful of clock cycles to finish whatever instruction is currently being processed and jump to the ISR vector.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

PDP-1 posted:

See, this guy read the 660 page manual cover-to-cover. :)
Actually I had never seen those acronyms before but google took me to a random blog with code that wrote 1 which I confirmed in the manual. But it's good to know that's indistinguishable from knowing it by heart.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Captain Cool posted:

Actually I had never seen those acronyms before but google took me to a random blog with code that wrote 1 which I confirmed in the manual. But it's good to know that's indistinguishable from knowing it by heart.
That seems like a lot of effort. imho, guess a failure mode and suggest the experiment that shows it

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Thank you for the info about smd soldering, but the part is $3... not sure if I want to spend $100 to save it just yet

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I just got a project working in an evening with Arduino - I'm sure my code is horrificly inefficient, but it works, and it works 100% of the time, so I'm calling it a win. First code I've written from scratch, too, instead of adapting something already written - not bad for 2nd project! I now know all about while loops. Well, I know one thing about while loops... not sure what goes in the {} after while (thing) {} but I didn't need that, just the (thing) part.

I also know I have a stupid and pointless diode in the circuit - I think I was trying to do a commuter diode like for a speaker, but instead I used a piezo buzzer and at the time decided I needed the diode in series :psyduck:. Oh well, still works.

Incidentally, this project was a bit cathartic for me. It does the same as one I spent months on at the end of high school (pre-arduino days) arsing about with thyristors (and still never got it working 100% correctly). Balance is restored!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

simplefish posted:

not sure what goes in the {} after while (thing) {} but I didn't need that, just the (thing) part.
:psypop:

code:
while(condition)
{
    code();
    doing();
    stuff();
}
That's what, usually. You're just using it as a short hand to wait for something to happen.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
:suicide: I've got an easy driver stepper motor wired up like this: http://www.schmalzhaus.com/EasyDriver/Examples/EasyDriverExamples.html. Between disconnecting it from USB, nothing else, when I worked on it at my makerspace and returning home, plugging it in again via USB it stopped working. I try a bunch of random poo poo, try pushing the easy driver deeper into the breadboard, doesn't work. But, when I remove the easy driver completely and push it back in, my stepper motor is working. What the hell was going on there?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sometimes breadboards can be finnicky

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bad connection in the breadboard, presumably. Maybe a random bit of metal dust fell into one of the connection points and pulling the thing out cleared it up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Genuine Arduino or clone? I find the likeliness of weird issues like that increases square to how much I cheap out on eBay.

I had a very similar issue with my RAMPS (arduino mega based) 3D printer board, replaced the clone board, used the same exact sketch, not a single problem 2 years later.

EDIT: I have a question of my own - anyone messed about with trying to harvest power from flex style piezo vibration sensors? I was thinking of something like this circuit, made for "shake" generators, might do the trick:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 23, 2016

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I have an arduino with a shield attached and I want to battery power the thing, I've got some Li Ion batteries from a couple of old laptops, is there a thing that takes the ~3.7V and turns it into 5V for the arduino, but also won't discharge the batteries too far, or allows easily monitoring of the voltage?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
There's a few options, this is the sparkfun offering

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11231

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I have an old RAMBo board that suffered from the "no bootloader" bug Ultimachine had last year. Since its basically a brick, can I attempt to use an AVR programmer on it with Arduino software?

Is there a for morons guide on how to burn a bootloader properly?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

the likeliness of weird issues increases square to how much I cheap out on eBay.

Hmm new thread title?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Is Blynk any good? I'm building a thing for classrooms where the students get to vote one of four options, and I need a way to display all the options for the teacher. Alternatively, I'm looking at using Java RXTX, but that seems a bit more daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
So, I have a future project I've started planning out with the bf. Part of the project requires a micro-controller to control 84 transistors (we need to control an array of electromagnets). Is there a good option for handling a dmux of an arduino to that level?