Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Powered GM was announced as a P-Bandai kit. A really cheap one too; at a base price of 3240 yen, even the usual middleman scalping shouldn't murder your wallet too much.

That's one of the better GM variants, and I've been wanting a MG GM 2.0 with a non-garbage head for a while. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be honest, I've never had huge trouble with stickers. Obviously they're inferior to real parts separation, but even the weird shaped ones that go around curves/edges have scored guidelines on where they should go. I'd certainly prefer metallic stickers for accents over a flat grey.

gently caress the Gundam Eyes sticker though. Takes forever to center it and smooth it just so they can save on green and black plastic. Would be a bigger deal if I didn't prefer Zaku's and GM's though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that's... quite something. :stare:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm actually pretty salty about that. I just ordered the HG and 1/100 Barbatos 6th Forms to go along with the default ones.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Finished my Origin Zaku, and drat that is a really cool kit for an HG. It pretty much has an inner frame for the most part, and that sniper rifle is rad. I did some light weathering on it, and really like the way he turned out.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 22, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd been holding off on 1/144 IBO stuff but I may have to stomp on that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While I didn't really doubt it, it's nice to have confirmation of 1/100 Kimaris Trooper

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

While I didn't really doubt it, it's nice to have confirmation of 1/100 Kimaris Trooper

Very true, though I'm more hyped for (what I hope will be) the 1/100 Graze Ein. :unsmigghh:

One thing I did notice, though - the guns on the Trooper's lance are pointing forwards, rather than outwards like on the 1/144. A mis-sculpt on the HG, or do you reckon they can swivel?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
NOBELLS ARE COMING BACK IN STOCK AT GUNDAM PLANET IN JUNE

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
OH MY GOD.

Do we preorder now or will they be ordering stock based on the amount of preorders (i.e. it'll be safe to wait until closer to June to order off the site)?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is by MagicToys, just under a different name because third party names are weird and fickle things that change constantly.

Gee, I wonder why.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

Gee, I wonder why.

Well maybe Bandai should take some notes from Takara Tomy and actually make the things third parties are creating instead of getting pissy at them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's kind of a moot point, because if Bandai ever had the intention of making those things the third parties wouldn't even touch them to begin with.

See: Why nobody tried to make a MG Jesta Cannon despite the fact the Jesta had been out for ages.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 23, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I would love to see a NONP-BANDAI mg GM cardigan. I mean we're already there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I would love to see a NONP-BANDAI mg GM cardigan. I mean we're already there.

Wouldn't entirely be a surprise, given the P-Bandai Powered GM. That thing has way too many new pieces to just be a one-off exclusive, unless I miss my guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's like MG Exia RII and MG GX, they're opening the window to do more but haven't necessarily committed to it just yet.

Though we eventually did get Dark Matter and Amazing Exia so I guess RII isn't the best example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Powered GM was announced as a P-Bandai kit. A really cheap one too; at a base price of 3240 yen, even the usual middleman scalping shouldn't murder your wallet too much.

I wonder if they're getting ready for MG BF Try at last?

In less happy news, the HGCE Force Silhouette is really reliant on stickers. :negative:

It's not really "MG BF Try" so much as "well we have the mold the BF version's based on so... :shrug:".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

Well maybe Bandai should take some notes from Takara Tomy and actually make the things third parties are creating instead of getting pissy at them.

like Robot Damashii Penelope?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

boom boom boom posted:

like Robot Damashii Penelope?

i standai with bandai

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
gently caress robot damashii (no offense intended to those who collect them, I only like building stuff)

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So can you get p-bandai stuff shipped to America or is it Japan only? That 1/144 Barbatos complete looks pretty cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cmykjester posted:

So can you get p-bandai stuff shipped to America or is it Japan only? That 1/144 Barbatos complete looks pretty cool.

It's Japan-only from P-Bandai, so you'll need to find a reseller and pay a surcharge.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, guess that's why people get so miffed with stuff is webshop exclusive.

Thinking about ordering a form 6 Barbatos soon, and I'm debating if I want to build another 1/144 or move up to 1/100. I mean what kind of models do most people prefer?

Basically not sure if I want to move to making just 1/100 kits, I got the 1/144 Barbatos and it seemed kind of small.

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 23, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

cmykjester posted:

Thinking about ordering a form 6 Barbatos soon, and I'm debating if I want to build another 1/144 or move up to 1/100. I mean what kind of models do most people prefer?

Basically not sure if I want to move to making just 1/100 kits, I got the 1/144 Barbatos and it seemed kind of small.

i like 1/100 personally. I like the size and heft of them. ultimately it's a personal thing though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

i like 1/100 personally. I like the size and heft of them. ultimately it's a personal thing though.

This is where I'm at. Though, there are a bunch of subjects available in 1/144 that will probably never get a 1/100 release.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

cmykjester posted:

1/100 is better if you like your models to have some form of shelf presence, as their size makes for a much nicer display piece, especially if you put some work into it. 1/144 is better if you like more obscure designs, as chances are they will never see a 1/100 release in any form. I personally prefer 1/100 more as it's a more satisfying build process.

In unrelated news, I ordered for a MG Hi-Nu Gundam ver. Ka for a birthday present to myself. I know it has great reviews online, but what are some goon opinions of it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

cmykjester posted:

I prefer 1/144, because of the wider variety of robots available, and now they got those Real Grades, that are even better than Master Grades

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I prefer 1/144 scale since more space = more models and I also have Gunpla Scale OCD.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

In unrelated news, I ordered for a MG Hi-Nu Gundam ver. Ka for a birthday present to myself. I know it has great reviews online, but what are some goon opinions of it?

I built one a while ago and I love the hell out of it. The only complaints I have are the funnels, but I have the same sort of complaints about anything I have to repeat the same steps 12 times. Make sure you've got solvaset for the funnel decals, and for the love of god, DON'T TRY TO READJUST THINGS once you've put on the solvaset. You'll only ruin things. (Like I did. :downs:)

But yeah, it's a super solid build, and if you can find yourself a cheap HWS pack, you should jump on it, because it looks downright imposing with it on.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I still haven't finished my funnels (see above), but I love the kit. Super slick looking. My only problem was the hand connections broke when I was making the guns, so be careful maybe.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I go with 144 over 100 because they're just way cheaper (and thus more friendly to messing with), have more variety (i.e better ratio of cool units:new variations of basic protagonist gundman), and from what I've heard MG quality is a big ol' crapshoot (whereas with HG's I've only been disappointed by the Overflag).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Worst I can say about the Hi Nu vKa is that the connections between the funnel holders and the main backpack aren't nearly as movable as you'd think. Other then that it's a super solid kit.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neurolimal posted:

I go with 144 over 100 because they're just way cheaper (and thus more friendly to messing with), have more variety (i.e better ratio of cool units:new variations of basic protagonist gundman), and from what I've heard MG quality is a big ol' crapshoot (whereas with HG's I've only been disappointed by the Overflag).

I think MGs are usually fine, as long as its not a transforming suit. I prefer them because I like building kits and MGs are more fun to build.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What are some good starter HG kits for a kid that's never done any modelling before, that will be fairly easy for him to put together, look cool without paneling potentially, and aren't overly fragile? Hanging out with my nephew this summer and the two things he loves more than anything else are assembling things from instructions and sick robots so I think gunpla might be something he'd be way into. He has no affinity for the show so he won't care what series its from so long as it looks cool.

Gonna get a couple of kits, thinking a RX-78, a Zaku. maybe a Hi-Mock? Any suggestions for baby gunpla?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

What are some good starter HG kits for a kid that's never done any modelling before, that will be fairly easy for him to put together, look cool without paneling potentially, and aren't overly fragile? Hanging out with my nephew this summer and the two things he loves more than anything else are assembling things from instructions and sick robots so I think gunpla might be something he'd be way into. He has no affinity for the show so he won't care what series its from so long as it looks cool.

Gonna get a couple of kits, thinking a RX-78, a Zaku. maybe a Hi-Mock? Any suggestions for baby gunpla?

The Hi-Mock. It's cheap, big and chunky, and it has polycaps in every joint.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

homeless snail posted:

The hguc revive guntank. It's like 10 bucks and doesn't take long to build at all. It's also a bad rear end tank after you build it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

homeless snail posted:

it's very hard to go wrong with a HG. They're all designed to be approachable for beginners. The three you suggested are all good, although the Hi-Mock is pretty basic, depending on the kid's taste he might think it's a little boring.

As for other suggestion, all the kits from the recent Iron-Blooded Orphans series are great. They're cheap, super easy to build, and most of them use few stickers, so they look good just built straight out of the box

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

it's very hard to go wrong with a HG. They're all designed to be approachable for beginners.

This is only true for HGs post 2007; earlier ones can be awful though some are OK.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
The GM Sniper II or K9 are both great beginner kits. Picked up one of each for a co-worker's kid who had never built a model of any kind before, and they absolutely loved 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can vouch for the Sniper. It has fantastic bang for your buck (a big nice looking robot with a few gimmicks, a bunch of weapons he could give to his other toys, and a robodoge for $19)

Hi-Mock is easy, fun, and designed to let you toss other HG parts on it and be creative (large flat surfaces also make painting it easy)

All the Revive kits, the GM1, and the space command GM are all cheap and satisfying builds.

I'd recommend against a Zaku if he doesnt have a huge attention span, if only because detailing the connecting tubes takes Forever.

The Gundam AGE Advanced grade kits are terrible for modelers, but they're all super cheap, chunky, and brainless to build (literally 4-8 parts with instructions printed on the cardboard). Would be disappointing alone, but its cheap enough that you vould get one along with an HG if you want to start slow (and he'll probably be excited to get a second robutt that's durable enough to mash with his other toys).