Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

internet inc posted:

If I had to read one nonfiction book about space travel, which one would it be? I'd like to know more about the moon landings but it could really be anything else.

I liked "Packing for Mars", by Mary Roach. Lots of well-written bits about the logistics of getting humans ready for such a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BOOKS ARE FOR NERDS *SWIRLIE*

I just finished A Slip of the Keyboard and enjoyed it and it bummed me out a lot less than The Chris Farley Show did

also everybody should read more bleak Russian sci-fi and then sit in the bath in the dark and wonder about things in a profoundly depressing way. It's very liberating

Subjunctive posted:

I liked "Packing for Mars", by Mary Roach. Lots of well-written bits about the logistics of getting humans ready for such a trip.

Was just gonna recommend this. Enjoyable and a good place to start off

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Dan Abnett is the best and most compelling author there is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
reminder if you want to check out the best thread in the good ol barn head on down to the child loving and literature thread

we will test you book-dick and find you lacking

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Epic High Five posted:

also everybody should read more bleak Russian sci-fi and then sit in the bath in the dark and wonder about things in a profoundly depressing way. It's very liberating

I am in the mood for depressed bath reading: recommend some bleak Russian sci-if?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I am in the mood for depressed bath reading: recommend some bleak Russian sci-if?

"We Who Are About To..." by Joanna Russ

also not Russian but still something that will trouble you on levels you didn't know you had, but I also recommend the short story "The Matter of Seggri" by Ursula K Le Guin

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 24, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

also not Russian but still something that will trouble you on levels you didn't know you had, but I also recommend the short story "The Matter of Seggri" by Ursula K Le Guin

ALso not Russian, but soviet-bloc, Stanislaw Lem's stuff is a great bleak read. Maybe try Return from the Stars or The Invincible

quote:

Lem singled out only one[22] American SF writer for praise, Philip K. Dick—see the 1986 English-language anthology of his critical essays, Microworlds. Dick thought that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect. Stanisław Lem was also responsible for Polish translation of Dick's work, and when Dick felt monetarily short-changed by the publisher, he held Lem personally responsible (see Microworlds).[23]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ALso not Russian, but soviet-bloc, Stanislaw Lem's stuff is a great bleak read. Maybe try Return from the Stars or The Invincible

The Invincible was actually somewhere on my To Read list. I shall bump it up to the next in line, thanks

I fuckin love me some Philip K Dick. Halfway through Ubik on 3/15 my buddy called me demanding to know what day it was, and DID I KNOW WHAT DAY IT WAS THIS IS IMPORTANT and I started freaking out

It was the most surreal experience I've had since I stopped doing lots of drugs constantly

I also recommend goddamned near anything by Ursula K Le Guin game people

The Lathe of Heaven is my favorite short book of all time

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I'm looking for some lighthearted fantasy fiction as a pallete cleanser for all of the complex political stuff I've been reading lately.
Like, if it could be a literal JRPG in novel form that would be great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I highly recommend that Witcher 3 book

(More seriously: Is it just me or is this thread showing up in Games subforum and not BB?)

LegalPad posted:

I'm looking for some lighthearted fantasy fiction as a pallete cleanser for all of the complex political stuff I've been reading lately.

I'm just finishing up the Greatcoats series by Sebestian de Castell and it's really really good. It's basically a homage to the swashbuckling adventures of the three musketeers (except called Greatcoats). Good characters, pretty drat funny/witty and just a nice read. It's a little dark at a few points but generally pretty light.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 24, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LegalPad posted:

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart is basically the most lighthearted fantasy novel of all time. Like, after you read it, you feel like the world is a better place, because it's just that nice a book.

If you want more comedy-slapstick type fantasy, maybe Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin.

If you want something a little more brainy, but still funny, try Terry Pratchett's stuff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

^ ^ ^ good instinct ^ ^ ^

LegalPad posted:

I recommend picking up one of those old 800 page game guides for Final Fantasy 7

realtalk:
Guards, Guards by Terry Pratchett

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Epic High Five posted:

OK, I got Return from the Stars; sadly no Russ available via Kindle. Thanks!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I got Return from the Stars; sadly no Russ available via Kindle. Thanks!

Whaaaaaat, buncha jerks

Also the Matter of Seggri I mentioned is in a larger book of short stores, The Birthday of the World. Recommended highly.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

welcome to games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I like to play Kirby, what is a good piece of literature to couple with this?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

No Such Thing posted:

the grimdark adventures of link

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No Such Thing posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirby-Luvero-ebook/dp/B00VQJ03CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461465424&sr=8-1&keywords=kirby+book

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

let me tell you about esports.......

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey book barn, you might like Epistory, give it a shot friends :)

Alternatively you might also like Dear Esther :smug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Macaluso posted:

Hey book barn, you might like Epistory, give it a shot friends :)

Alternatively you might also like Dear Esther :smug:

Firewatch is a good audio book too

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Thanks Xaris, Hieronymous, and Epic High Five!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

LegalPad posted:

There's a weird genre out of Russia right now called LitRPG where they write about people playing MMOs. No depth whatever. Lots of powers and unique poo poo. They're garbage.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

There's a weird genre out of Russia right now called LitRPG where they write about people playing MMOs. No depth whatever. Lots of powers and unique poo poo. They're garbage.

Haha that sounds terrible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

:puke:

Oh yeah I do recommend nerds check out Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett. It's imho the best intro to the Discworld series and it really showcases the humor and deconstruction of old sci-fi tropes that marks the whole series. I've actually re-read it more times than my old Hitchhiker's Guide at this point

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Oh man. Let's see. Try "AlterWorld" by D. Rus. Such garbage.

He gets chosen by a dark god and unlocks power after power and more people in Russia upload themselves into the game so they can be in his clan. Not kidding.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you liked the first half of Starship Troopers, I recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (get the version with the marine on the cover with the half goggles)

If you like the second half of Starship Troopers, I recommend Atlas Shrugged or some other similar sort of self-insert garbage philosophy dumps

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh man. Let's see. Try "AlterWorld" by D. Rus. Such garbage.

I can't stop reading through these synopsis.

quote:

A world where he could find adventure, companionship, and success all wrapped up in the singular package of The Dragon's Wrath. The game offered him a chance, a chance for salvation... a glimmer of hope.

It was better than a dream, it was a virtual dream.
:eyepop:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd like to recommend one of my favorite short story collections, "Orientation" by Daniel Orozco. Where a lot of short fiction is thematic, Orozco focuses on capturing an experience. His stories look at small moments in people's lives, mundane or significant. It's often darkly funny, but his best work hits that sweet spot of economy of language, ambiguity, and memorable imagery that makes for powerful short fiction.

Oh, and it's not genre fiction, if anyone cares.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, poetry! I really like Gabrielle Calvocoressi's "The Last Time I Saw Amelia Earhart"

quote:

Save Me Joe Louis

When I was small no one stopped the fights.
A man could beat you til you died,
the crowd leaning in, you on your knees,
maybe somewhere someone says, No,

but it's like spoons dropping in kitchens:
enough to make someone look up,
not enough to get them moving.
The ref's just glad it isn't him

trying to stand, shading his face
like he's coming out of the movies
into winter sun, shock of the world
made real again -- brutal, to be sure,

but America is like that,
unrelenting, you get what you ask for
in the ring or on the kitchen floor.
Someone always wants you to give up,

shake hands, wipe the blood away and talk
of lighter things. And you do
because you've been fighting long enough
to know there's no one here to save you.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm illiterate and only know how to read shitposts and anime subtitles.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

same, and my girlfriend says I don't listen, either

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

p sure there's some books written entirely in emoji at this point

also if you're an illiterate moron but want to pick up chicks by pretending to be smart, I recommend Finnegan's Wake because you can just make poo poo up if someone asks you and it's probably a true thing that actually happened in the book

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Any advice on weening myself off of my bad habit of reading mostly short-reads and articles as opposed to long-forms and novels? I used to be a voracious reader but I've fallen out of the habit hard. It's mostly been replaced by listening to podcasts and the like.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

citybeatnik posted:

Any advice on weening myself off of my bad habit of reading mostly short-reads and articles as opposed to long-forms and novels? I used to be a voracious reader but I've fallen out of the habit hard. It's mostly been replaced by listening to podcasts and the like.

Getting an ebook reader helps a lot because it becomes much easier to snatch moments to read when you otherwise couldn't, there are a lot of free books in the public domain, etc. If you're reading short form stuff on your phone because you have your phone right there, keep an ereader in the other pocket.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

What Hieronymous said and also I recommend dredging up a nice long book from the past that you know you enjoy to get you back in the habit of not killing the story off in 1-2 sittings. I'm doing this myself, as I fell into the habit of podcasts while I play video games. I blame audiobooks for this bad habit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Getting an ebook reader helps a lot because it becomes much easier to snatch moments to read when you otherwise couldn't, there are a lot of free books in the public domain, etc. If you're reading short form stuff on your phone because you have your phone right there, keep an ereader in the other pocket.

Yeah, that's basically how it's going for me. Parsing through my OldReader aggregator for articles during breaks at work.

It doesn't help that I'm a Luddite and prefer the feel of a book in my hand, which I'm starting to realize just means I'm using it as an excuse to not pick up and finish my copy of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes or Wolf Hall.

Epic High Five posted:

What Hieronymous said and also I recommend dredging up a nice long book from the past that you know you enjoy to get you back in the habit of not killing the story off in 1-2 sittings. I'm doing this myself, as I fell into the habit of podcasts while I play video games. I blame audiobooks for this bad habit.

I do a LOT of document review, which is why I've been listening to podcasts so much. Which has led to me looking for short, punchy stuff on history, science, or politics which is probably just furthering the issues I'm having with sitting down to read.

Could also just be due to me needing to change some stuff up at home. I tear through books when I'm traveling or on vacation but if I'm home it's all internet articles all the time.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 24, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

Try reading some page-turners to get you back into the groove of things.
The Martian by Andy Weir and The Great Train Robbery by Micheal Crichton come to mind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

LegalPad posted:

Try reading some page-turners to get you back into the groove of things.
The Martian by Andy Weir and The Great Train Robbery by Micheal Crichton come to mind.

"try reading Michael Crichton" - a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

citybeatnik posted:

I do a LOT of document review, which is why I've been listening to podcasts so much. Which has led to me looking for short, punchy stuff on history, science, or politics which is probably just furthering the issues I'm having with sitting down to read.

The other good thing about an e-reader is you can change the text size to larger if your eyes get tired.

Maybe try some books that are basically long-form science articles. Malcolm Gladwell's stuff, Michael Pollan, Influence by Cialdini, Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely, Moonwalking with Einstein, etc.