Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So Koestler sounds fascinating, where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

the_homemaster posted:

So Koestler sounds fascinating, where should I start?

Darkness at Noon, obviously

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

The book 6 (so far, it's like 1200 pages and I've only read 100) is very satisfying because after books 3-6 going back to childhood/student years, it's back to present now and starts when book 1 is just being released. Very meta, feels like you've grown with the author if you've followed the series over the years. And at same time it has same feel as books 1 and 2, Proust is discussed and Knausgård sits half an hour in rental car because he doesn't know how to start it and is afraid they'll take the car away if he goes back in to ask. I've leafed through the rest and I saw loads of lit references so I expect it to get even better.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mallamp posted:

and Knausgård sits half an hour in rental car because he doesn't know how to start it and is afraid they'll take the car away if he goes back in to ask.

lol. maybe I should actually read this series. I liked the first book of his newest project.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It ranges from almost Woody Allen-esque awkwardness (another example from newest book: He's reading Gombrowicz diary before interview and interviewer sees it and mentions it in the article, but Knausgård actually hates it and abandons the diary alter same day, for years he's known as Gombrowicz expert, and at parties big lit figure Dag Solstad is like "hey Karl, Gombrowicz is my favorite author, let's talk", and for years he pretends he's Gombrowicz fan because of that) to more depressing awkwardness (he feels like paedophile when washing his daughters) to just sad and depressing (won't spoil since it wouldn't do justice) and then suddenly he's randomly analyzing Hamlet or something and it turns into essay and so on. Books 3 and 4 are just childhood memories so they're not as awesome/poetic, and you also have to accept that Knausgård is really vain and irritating aswell. But generally it's the best

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Nothing I've ever read about Knausgaard has made any of this sound even remotely appealing

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
that's how i felt too, but then i read the first book and it was really quite good. not the earth-shattering experience, but definitely something you want to suggest to your friends to check out, which is probably why it spread so far and quick

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Solaris is pretty baller. I mean the writing style is really weird (maybe it was bad translation or something) but it has a lot of cool ideas.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Nothing I've ever read about Knausgaard has made any of this sound even remotely appealing

"Får god"
-Karl Ove Knausgård

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

That's the thing. Second-hand descriptions of My Struggle always make it seem boring. But it has this quality... when you start reading it, you become entranced.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Guy talks about his life in a weird way for thousands of pages is potentially cool, but there's probably other books like that I would be more likely to read.

The Dennis System posted:

Solaris is pretty baller. I mean the writing style is really weird (maybe it was bad translation or something)

The old translation was itself based on the French translation rather than being direct from Polish to English, so if you got that one then that might be the case. The new translation which is direct from Polish is ebook only iirc because of weird copyright issues(or it was last I heard).

A human heart fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 29, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

That's the thing. Second-hand descriptions of My Struggle always make it seem boring. But it has this quality... when you start reading it, you become entranced.

Yeah, several of the cover blurbs are on point about this. Why would anybody bother to read this multi-volume behemoth of an autobiographical novel by a neurotic Norwegian? Because it's that loving good.

Zadie Smith said it well when she noted that there shouldn't be anything remarkable about any of it, except for the fact that it immerses you completely. I've never been a fan of the Proustian genre, but Knausgaard somehow captures what it feels like to live and think in this world at this time in history. Yes, he's arrogant and insecure and a bit vain, but he's also Real Fuckin' Good at this.

If this is what it felt like for his contemporaries to read Proust, I think I get it a little bit more now.

Edit: this doesn't even get into the translation, which is so drat good it feels like it was written natively in English. Maybe Norwegian is easier to render in English than other languages? In any case it's a remarkable job.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 29, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I'm non-native but I've learned Swedish and it's super easy compared to French and German for example, Norwegian is similar.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Solaris is pretty baller. I mean the writing style is really weird (maybe it was bad translation or something) but it has a lot of cool ideas.

Stanislaw Lem is magnificent. I'm slowly working my way thru his corpus and it rules. Many of his other books were translated by this dude named Michael Kandel, who did a real good job, like he should get a medal and a back rub and the Nobel, since Lem can't anymore. Also if u like Solaris the book, watch the 2 movies. The Tarkovsky version is a masterpiece, and the Soderbergh one is good too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

david crosby posted:

Stanislaw Lem is magnificent. I'm slowly working my way thru his corpus and it rules. Many of his other books were translated by this dude named Michael Kandel, who did a real good job, like he should get a medal and a back rub and the Nobel, since Lem can't anymore. Also if u like Solaris the book, watch the 2 movies. The Tarkovsky version is a masterpiece, and the Soderbergh one is good too.

Yea I watched both movies too the Soderbergh one is good but holy poo poo the Tarkovsky one is amazing. That reminds me I need to watch Stalker (ironically I've read Roadside Picnic but not Solaris go figure eh?)

The Lem I have read is Return from the Stars which was solid but then Memoirs found in a bathtub which is hilarious, it's like if Kafka wrote dystopian sci-fi about spies.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Eden and Fiasco are both thematically similar to Solaris and also own. Eden especially is probably even more relevant today than it has ever been.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Lem (when asked about Solaris and 2001): The movie by Kubrick - 2001 - was in my opinion not good, and Solaris wasn't either. I find the task to evaluate which of two weak works of art is weaker uninteresting. Like Heine writes "they both are smelly just the same".

I used to read a lot of Lem and can recommend some of his less known works (that is, my 16 year old self recommends them, I haven't revisited Lem in a long long time). I loved Katar, which is a mystery novel on the limits of scientism. In Hospital of the Transfiguration he processed some of his own experiences (I think) from Nazi occupied Poland and for this reason feels much more personal than Lem's other books. It is part one of a three part novel but don't worry that the other two have not been translated to English, they are not very good and the tonal shift is pretty jarring. Maybe I find my old notes about other stories I'd recommend.

Bonus fun fact: Unlike Knausgård, Lem loved Gombrowicz.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Guy talks about his life in a weird way for thousands of pages is potentially cool, but there's probably other books like that I would be more likely to read.

The old translation was itself based on the French translation rather than being direct from Polish to English, so if you got that one then that might be the case. The new translation which is direct from Polish is ebook only iirc because of weird copyright issues(or it was last I heard).

wtf why do you have an av now????

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

he got lumed

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

he got lumed

Andn ow you're a smoking crow again!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Andn ow you're a smoking crow again!!

your still a lovely goat

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

your still a lovely goat

I never found out whether you were actually the guy who had asparagus i sunglasses as his avatar because I asked you and you said I was a bad poster.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I never found out whether you were actually the guy who had asparagus i sunglasses as his avatar because I asked you and you said I was a bad poster.

Yes

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

For a while I was looking for something like Solaris and the closest I came to was Eden. Eden is good, but it isn't great like Solaris. I do want to read more Stanislaw Lem, but I don't think anything can top Solaris as far as sci-fi goes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I browse w/ sigs off so thanks for keeping me updated

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I browse w/ sigs off so thanks for keeping me updated

we're talking avatars you loving shithead idiot

p.s. CestMoi you used to just shitpost and then you got real smart or something. I like you now.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It is very kind of you to say so. I find your posting style endearing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I never found Cest Moi to be a shitposter. He is earnest and passionate about his ideas and sometimes I disagree with those ideas so I call him fuckface

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rusty posted:

For a while I was looking for something like Solaris and the closest I came to was Eden. Eden is good, but it isn't great like Solaris. I do want to read more Stanislaw Lem, but I don't think anything can top Solaris as far as sci-fi goes.

His Master's Voice is similar 2 Solaris, and is even better, IMO. Pls read it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blue squares posted:

we're talking avatars you loving shithead idiot

p.s. CestMoi you used to just shitpost and then you got real smart or something. I like you now.

avs are just sigs to the left

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
avatars are the historiated initials, and sigs the marginalia, of the illuminated manuscript that is internet posting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
yes, and like forums, manuscripts are living documents, added to and elaborated upon by centuries of hands. unlike forums, manuscripts are now locked up in archives, enforced into artificial death. thats why i drew a dick in the Auchinleck manuscript, your honour

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When you really get to it all fiction is fantasy because it deals with unreality in one form or another its all just a matter of the extent

*smokes a bubble pipe while wearing a bathrobe*

is this a Borges joke

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

i've been given a beautiful gift

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

david crosby posted:

His Master's Voice is similar 2 Solaris, and is even better, IMO. Pls read it
Thanks, it was on my list to read, but I went ahead and bought it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
so, which Houellebecq should I begin with? map and territory? possibility of an island? i'm not planning on reading more than one of his books unless the first one really grabs me, btw

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Imo all Houellebecqs are pretty badly written so pick one with interesting theme. Platform if you want to go all-in into his fixations. Possibility of Island is scifi so it's bit different.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

so, which Houellebecq should I begin with? map and territory? possibility of an island? i'm not planning on reading more than one of his books unless the first one really grabs me, btw

Here are the Houellebecq novel tier rankings:

Ace: Map and the Territory, Elementary Particles
Good: Possibility of an Island
Dece: Submission
Real Bad: Whatever, Platform

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
cool, that's exactly what I've been looking for, thx!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fairly recently someone recommended David Vann so I picked up Aquarium from my local library.

It is very good so far, I like the words he uses and the order he puts them in is particularly apposite.

The fish drawings are also a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dead Goon posted:

Fairly recently someone recommended David Vann so I picked up Aquarium from my local library.

It is very good so far, I like the words he uses and the order he puts them in is particularly apposite.

The fish drawings are also a nice touch.

the legion grows