Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

shinmai posted:

My favorite sci-fi author is Fredric Brown (I mean dude has a short story about a printing press that's achieved satori) but only because Douglas Adams didn't write too much, I'm deeply in love with Pratchett and Neil Gaimann, the last non-Pratchett book I read was Danielewski's House of Leaves, and I enjoyed it.

I'd love to read some funny and off-kilter sci-fi or fantasy, novellas and short stories are fine as well, if anyone has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just to get in ahead of everyone: read Bridge of Birds. No matter what anyone asks in this thread, the answer will always eventually be "read Bridge of Birds."

You might also enjoy David Wong (John Dies at the End et al) and Matt Ruff (I'd recommend Sewer, Gas, and Electric or Fool on the Hill.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Just to get in ahead of everyone: read Bridge of Birds. No matter what anyone asks in this thread, the answer will always eventually be "read Bridge of Birds."
Amen. Doubly so if you're positively inclined towards humorous fantasy, that book is just beautiful.

You might also want to try Kraken by China Miéville - a bit of warning, though: it's a case of good writer who's way up his own rear end trying to do pulp urban fantasy. Amazing ideas and some really funny scenes, but the writing may take some getting used to. Still his most accessible book, though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Selachian posted:

Just so everyone who wants to get Bridge of Birds knows, it's available on Kindle, but only as part of The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. I don't know if The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen are as beloved or good as the first book, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Solitair posted:

Just so everyone who wants to get Bridge of Birds knows, it's available on Kindle, but only as part of The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox. I don't know if The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen are as beloved or good as the first book, though.

They would be decent books on their own but everyone reads them after reading Bridge of Birds and they just aren't the same

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They would be decent books on their own but everyone reads them after reading Bridge of Birds and they just aren't the same

Makes sense. Instead of having a blurb summarizing what the books are about, the Amazon page has the author giving a short autobiography and admitting that he didn't want to keep writing the same series for the rest of his life. I'm sure some people here wished he came to that epiphany sooner.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

Makes sense. Instead of having a blurb summarizing what the books are about, the Amazon page has the author giving a short autobiography and admitting that he didn't want to keep writing the same series for the rest of his life. I'm sure some people here wished he came to that epiphany sooner.
I don't know; while there's a definite downward slope in the quality of those books, there's still a long way down to go. That author blurb is amazing, though: using the book as a security blanket on dark and stormy nights is exactly what I've been doing - and recommending it to people for, just a little bundle of joy you can always take with you.

Still kinda miffed he stopped writing completely, though.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

https://archive.org/stream/ScannersLiveInVain/SmithCordwainer-ScannersLiveInVain.txt

a classic

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I read some books once. I read Broca's Brain, Demon Haunted World, and Contact by Carl Sagan. I like to read the Hagakure on occasion, along with Bruce Lee's Tao of jeet kun do. I also enjoy reading about ancient civilizations in books like Ambivalent Conquests: The Maya and the Spaniards in Yucatan and Assyrians: the first writers.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know; while there's a definite downward slope in the quality of those books, there's still a long way down to go. That author blurb is amazing, though: using the book as a security blanket on dark and stormy nights is exactly what I've been doing - and recommending it to people for, just a little bundle of joy you can always take with you.

Still kinda miffed he stopped writing completely, though.

What I don't get is why the second and third books are available on their own as Kindle ebooks, but Bridge of Birds isn't. Can anyone tell me why?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I read some books once. I read Broca's Brain, Demon Haunted World, and Contact by Carl Sagan. I like to read the Hagakure on occasion, along with Bruce Lee's Tao of jeet kun do. I also enjoy reading about ancient civilizations in books like Ambivalent Conquests: The Maya and the Spaniards in Yucatan and Assyrians: the first writers.

There is a book titled 1491 about the Americas immediately before Columbus that you might like

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last book I read was a picture book about star wars

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
beofre that, a book wihch is called the satanic verses. hope that doesnt make a poser

----------------

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blaise rascal posted:

I don't know when this thread will be here next, and I don't venture outside of BYOB much, so may I have another?

I would like a nonfiction or fiction work about one of the following:
-Music in general
-Tin Pan Alley and ragtime
-Jazz
-The Great American Songbook (popular standards written between 1920 and 1950 and performed by Ella Fitzgerald)

read this book about the aacm: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stronger-Than-Itself-Experimental/dp/0226476960

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
as far as fiction featuring jazz prominently goes, take a look at Škvorecký. The Bass Saxophone should be a good intro, or The Swell Season.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Who writes the best sex scenes? Recommend me some really sexy books (I am a woman, if that makes a difference in what you're going to recommend me).

----------------

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

misty mountaintop posted:

Who writes the best sex scenes? Recommend me some really sexy books (I am a woman, if that makes a difference in what you're going to recommend me).

I generally suggest Tom O'Finland for these requests, but since you identify as female I'll recommend _My Secret Garden_ by Nancy Friday

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I want to know after reading Crime and Punishment what should I read after by Doystoevsky?

----------------

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
brothers karamazov? have you read anything else by him? it's pretty much all quality

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

December Octopodes posted:

brothers karamazov? have you read anything else by him? it's pretty much all quality

The Underground man.

----------------

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

December Octopodes posted:

Yeah if you've read 2 works by him brothers K is ready to be tackled. Once you finish that try the modernized The Brothers K, which is actually decent

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Yeah if you've read 2 works by him brothers K is ready to be tackled. Once you finish that try the modernized The Brothers K, which is actually decent

It took me several years and a few attempts to get through The Brothers Karamazov, but once I finally got past the first three parts (out of twelve) I couldn't put it down. I don't know what edition of the book I read, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
BYOB you should do the Book Club this month its a real good book it has the Mel Mudkiper seal of approval

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BYOB you should do the Book Club this month its a real good book it has the Mel Mudkiper seal of approval

thread for it isn't up yet but this is what it's gonna be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_the_Golden_Pavilion

The author straight up committed seppuku after a coup

seriously this is the author

quote:

On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of his militia entered the headquarters of the Japanese Self-Defense Force (JSDF) in Tokyo. Previously Mishima had used his privileged position to secure permission for his group to go on ­maneuvers with the army. He was well known to the high command and readily admitted to the building. His men immediately captured, bound, and gagged the commandant, General Masuda, and barricaded his office. They threatened to execute him with a sword if he did not order his eight hundred soldiers to gather in the courtyard of the building to hear Mishima’s speech. He would exhort them on the need to revive, in what he considered the spineless postwar democracy, the noble samurai spirit of ancient Japan that had been extinguished after the humiliating defeat in World War II. (This same spirit, which had inspired the disastrous militarism of the 1930s, also led to the Rape of Nanking, the Bataan Death March, and, finally, to the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.) His planned half-hour speech did not go over well, and after seven minutes he was jeered and shouted down by the angry troops.

In his story “Patriotism,” Mishima gave a morbid foreshadowing of his own seppuku. The hero draws a short sword across his own abdomen and disgorges his entrails, like a picador’s horse in a Spanish bullfight: “The vomiting made the fierce pain fiercer still, and the stomach, which had thus far remained firm and compact, now abruptly heaved, opening wide its wound, and the entrails burst through, as if the wound too were vomiting. . . . The entrails gave an impression of robust health and almost disagreeable vitality as they slipped smoothly out and spilled over into the crotch. . . . A raw smell filled the room.” After his speech failed, Mishima returned to the general’s office and turned his violent impulses against himself. He committed the seppuku he’d imagined in his story and exemplified the militaristic spirit that the army had failed to uphold. In this agonizing ritual, he drew a dagger with both hands across his stomach and spilled out his intestines like a mass of bloody snakes. After this vivisection, one of his followers—using an ancient, well-tempered long sword and needing three full strokes—slashed off his head.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I;m gonna write a real cool post about recurring themes in Mishima look forward to it its gonna be v. good imho

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've got that one lying about on my kindle actually. I might just have to dive into that one after voices from chernobyl

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also worth noting that the guy who took three tries to cut off Yukio Mishima's head was so ashamed he asked someone else in the room to then cut off his own head afterwards. Fortunately that guy managed it in one swing because otherwise it would have been the world's most morbid daisy chain.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

So if I liked Don Delillo's White Noise a lot, what else should I read? I loved the writing style and how it focused on mundane things but talked about them in a weird, almost spiritual way. I tried looking at other books termed postmodern but they were only OK

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bog pixie posted:

So if I liked Don Delillo's White Noise a lot, what else should I read? I loved the writing style and how it focused on mundane things but talked about them in a weird, almost spiritual way. I tried looking at other books termed postmodern but they were only OK

Does "other books termed post-modern" include Thomas Pynchon? Because this is a big part of his appeal. If you haven't tried him, I recommend The Crying of Lot 49 and Inherent Vice.

Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, Daniel Handler, Vladimir Nabakov, Carson McCullers, Flannery O'Connor, and Jack Kerouac all come to mind as well. None of them are post-modern; some inspired the post-modern era, others were inspired by it.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The last book I read that had a big effect on me was The Road, but as one might understand that effect was a hugely negative one. The book was obviously bleak and hopeless, but more than anything else the . What made me mad about it was that it had the motherfucking gall to pretend in the last like five pages that there was actually some sort of hope in the bleak, shitheap of a world that the novel presented, and that just made me loving pissed. It was totally unearned and gross and exploitative and just, like, bullshit.

So what I'm looking for is a novel that is basically the polar opposite of that. I'd like any recommendations for a novel that presents a dark, even dystopian world, but one where there is actually some kind of hope for the protagonists, that is constant and foreshadowed and, well, earned. I'm not asking for something where everything is sunshine and rainbows, but just something where the protagonists have a chance, or where good, likable people survive in a super lovely situation without it turning them lovely.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The last book I read that had a big effect on me was The Road, but as one might understand that effect was a hugely negative one. The book was obviously bleak and hopeless, but more than anything else the . What made me mad about it was that it had the motherfucking gall to pretend in the last like five pages that there was actually some sort of hope in the bleak, shitheap of a world that the novel presented, and that just made me loving pissed. It was totally unearned and gross and exploitative and just, like, bullshit.

So what I'm looking for is a novel that is basically the polar opposite of that. I'd like any recommendations for a novel that presents a dark, even dystopian world, but one where there is actually some kind of hope for the protagonists, that is constant and foreshadowed and, well, earned. I'm not asking for something where everything is sunshine and rainbows, but just something where the protagonists have a chance, or where good, likable people survive in a super lovely situation without it turning them lovely.

The Road to Wigan Pier

hi how are you ♥

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Station Eleven by Emily St.John-Mandel
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

They are also both very much in "literary" vein like The Road so it doesn't come off as to genre-fictiony

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hi how are you ♥

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They are also both very much in "literary" vein like The Road so it doesn't come off as to genre-fictiony

I enjoyed Station Eleven but if its considered Literary then I'm a monkeys uncle.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

I enjoyed Station Eleven but if its considered Literary then I'm a monkeys uncle.

I have a banana for your nephew

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a banana for your nephew

Thanks, he's a big fan

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seconding these recommendations and I'd add The Last Policeman, with the caveat that it's not literary and also is the first in a trilogy.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Thank y'all for the suggestions! I'll head to the library tomorrow and check some of them out. I've already read 1984 (hello, I took AP English courses) and, uhh, it's not exactly what I'm looking for but I appreciate it nonetheless!

I also wouldn't mind genre fiction suggestions, considering that Pratchett is my favorite author and I play in (or run) 3 games of Dungeons and Dragons games. I am not above trashy romance or the softest of scifi.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure if y'all are into non-fiction, but I recently read a book on the life of different people in 90's North Korea, and I've been wanting to read something else like that. If there's anything out there on Soviet Russia, that would be killer, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Thank y'all for the suggestions! I'll head to the library tomorrow and check some of them out. I've already read 1984 (hello, I took AP English courses) and, uhh, it's not exactly what I'm looking for but I appreciate it nonetheless!

I also wouldn't mind genre fiction suggestions, considering that Pratchett is my favorite author and I play in (or run) 3 games of Dungeons and Dragons games. I am not above trashy romance or the softest of scifi.

If you're Catholic or at least not anti-religious, A Canticle for Liebowitz is very well done post-apoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Thingyman posted:

Not sure if y'all are into non-fiction, but I recently read a book on the life of different people in 90's North Korea, and I've been wanting to read something else like that. If there's anything out there on Soviet Russia, that would be killer, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Voices from Chernobyl?