Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jadebullet posted:

For the record though, they do seem to be slowly turning around in their mindset.

If by turning it around, you're referring to Age of Sigmar throwing out the army points and letting people throw whatever the hell they want on the field while screaming FOR THE LADY.
Also, Dawn of War something to be announced tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Have we had any progress in poo poo since the Rock is parked above Fenris and the wolves and dark angels eyeing each other

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waroduce posted:

Have we had any progress in poo poo since the Rock is parked above Fenris and the wolves and dark angels eyeing each other

Kind of a dick move for the Dark Angels to be massing to near Legion strength and shouting at Fenris while Logan Grimnar is over at Cadia kicking rear end and taking names.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waroduce posted:

40k is now eternally parked with Abaddon about to take Cadia, because GW is terrified of messing with the faction balance and invaldating some guy's imperial guard army (fair enough, although we should just embrace playing 40k "out of time" with the narrative in general)

And it seems like the huge focus on horus heresy 30k poo poo is their attempt at dodging that bullet and expanding the narrative in the past rather than the future.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
40k's a setting, not a strict narrative, so having everything be right at the edge of going to hell is good for the game.

I do think it's a big enough universe that you can do pretty much whatever the gently caress you want in it though. Yeah, there's big stuff going on at the Cadian Gate and the Blood Angels are about to get dicked over and the Space Wolves and Dark Angels are about to come to blows, but that doesn't mean poo poo to Johnny Sausagefingers, the Goliath ganger who just got set on fire and fell off a three story high catwalk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well there is the trouble of omnipotence in a lot of black library novels with characters knowing stuff they really shouldn't. It causes the universe to feel smaller. Very few bl books write from a limited perspective

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arcsquad12 posted:

If by turning it around, you're referring to Age of Sigmar throwing out the army points and letting people throw whatever the hell they want on the field while screaming FOR THE LADY.
Also, Dawn of War something to be announced tomorrow.

GET HYPE, again. :orks101:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

GET HYPE, again. :orks101:

You're all going to be pretty disappointed tomorrow when they announce some random new Last Stand character.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

SRM posted:

40k's a setting, not a strict narrative, so having everything be right at the edge of going to hell is good for the game.

I'm absolutely in the minority here, but I honestly think the success of 30k should show this isn't necessary. Like, we all know how the 30k story ends. It doesn't make things less enjoyable (or less financially viable for GW). If anything, it has the opposite effect. Expand the narrative, have a bunch of the lost primarchs / daemon princes come back as poo poo hits the fan and Abaddon does something not lame, and make something real happen. If they had a story where Abaddon kills Logan Grimnar on some climactic blah blah whatever, Space Wolves players can still fill in the holes in Logan Grimnar's story.That doesn't somehow become impossible.

If people want to set their own games and narrative 5 minutes before all that poo poo really hits the fan, or 500 years before, or whatever, they can do it. If they want to set it after, that's fine too.

People can "forge the narrative" with finished stories. It's called fan-fiction, and lots of nerds do it. What would help Star Wars sell toys: leaving things 5 seconds to midnight in "the setting," or having a fantastic conclusion to the story arcs they set up? The counter-argument here would be that their different business models, but I don't think the underlying fan psychology is that different.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kind of a dick move for the Dark Angels to be massing to near Legion strength and shouting at Fenris while Logan Grimnar is over at Cadia kicking rear end and taking names.

Well, if you want to pull the Space Wolves away from the Eye, and thus help Abbadon in secret, that would be the way to do it.

As for things continuing past 40k, I am torn. Part of me wants to know where things go plot wise, but at the same time, I care more about the side stuff like the Badab War, than I care about Abbadon and his Black Crusade. I would love if they came out with a campaign book for a war inside the Eye of Terror. It could be CSM vs CSM, but if they want to add in regular marines, they could always do an Abyssal Crusade(or whatever that was called) Campaign.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Waroduce posted:

So i am sure this has been asked before, but are the dark angels the actual "good ones" Like i know lion and Luther fought it out and now Luther is insane in dungeon and lion is in stasis. I have heard some people say that lions and Luther were both chaos. or some poo poo. I know that the dark angels secret objective is to kill and or convert any of the survinving fallen. whats the story with all of that.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
From what i've been able to gather, there were hints in the old fluff that actually Luther was the one who hadn't fallen; he had tried to resist when El'Johnson fell. The dark secret of the Angels wasn't just that some of them fell to Chaos, but that their fuckin' primarch did.

The Dark Angels heresy books and the more recent codices figured that was boring, I guess, and now it's unambiguously Luther who was the bad guy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I read on of those Dark Angel novels, and in it they meet one of the Fallen and he says that the reason the Dark Angels didn't get to Terra in time to help is that El'Johnson waited to see who would win

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

boom boom boom posted:

I read on of those Dark Angel novels, and in it they meet one of the Fallen and he says that the reason the Dark Angels didn't get to Terra in time to help is that El'Johnson waited to see who would win

Yeah, but that was an older novel. Written by Gav Thorpe. :barf:

They spend half the novel jerking off the fallen and the other half murdering eldar.

I thought it was pretty :medicore: but the idea of El'Johnson sitting on the sidelines waiting to see which side to support is a neat one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Klaus88 posted:

Who also is penning the script for Space Hulk: Deathwing! Yay....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

They spend half the novel jerking off the fallen and the other half murdering eldar.

I thought it was pretty :medicore: but the idea of El'Johnson sitting on the sidelines waiting to see which side to support is a neat one.

why is thorpe so bad. I know their are maybe like 3-4 good BL authors but why is he poo poo if i may ask?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DirtyRobot posted:

People can "forge the narrative" with finished stories. It's called fan-fiction, and lots of nerds do it. What would help Star Wars sell toys: leaving things 5 seconds to midnight in "the setting," or having a fantastic conclusion to the story arcs they set up? The counter-argument here would be that their different business models, but I don't think the underlying fan psychology is that different.
Star Wars is actually a great example of filling in too much and leaving too little mystery in the setting. Disney's decision to wipe the slate clean was a great one, even if I did lose a the stamp of officialness from small few beloved nuggets of gold EU.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DirtyRobot posted:

From what i've been able to gather, there were hints in the old fluff that actually Luther was the one who hadn't fallen; he had tried to resist when El'Johnson fell. The dark secret of the Angels wasn't just that some of them fell to Chaos, but that their fuckin' primarch did.

The Dark Angels heresy books and the more recent codices figured that was boring, I guess, and now it's unambiguously Luther who was the bad guy

The Luther was the good guy theory was, I believe, an invention of the aforementioned (poo poo) Gav Thorpe book. I think they are more than interesting enough as a loyalist faction operating with their own agenda (which is how they were in their first codex), without the rather trite Shyamalan twist.

And Thorpe is poo poo because he is bad at plot, prose, characters, motivation, world building, and everything else. He is the epitome of a licensed tie-in hack.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Luther was the good guy theory was, I believe, an invention of the aforementioned (poo poo) Gav Thorpe book. I think they are more than interesting enough as a loyalist faction operating with their own agenda (which is how they were in their first codex), without the rather trite Shyamalan twist.

And Thorpe is poo poo because he is bad at plot, prose, characters, motivation, world building, and everything else. He is the epitome of a licensed tie-in hack.

ok. Yeah. your theory makes more sense and is better. I like the idea of the chapter left on planet split apart into like a ton of factiosn. some still loyal other totaly chaos and other in between.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Except for the bit where he's actually a dude they promoted from game production to fiction writing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well yeah, he's so bad he got to where he is by being on the inside at the right time. Much like Kyme.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok. Yeah. your theory makes more sense and is better. I like the idea of the chapter left on planet split apart into like a ton of factiosn. some still loyal other totaly chaos and other in between.

That they retain their command structure and are operating under the noses of the Imperium, adhering to an agenda set before they pretended to comply with Guilliman's ultimatum is really intriguing to me. The scale of what it means gets overlooked so often in all the "herp a derp what if Luther was innocent? Dig deeper." nonsense. The Unforgiven are, whilst loyal to the Emperor, the very embodiment of the post-Heresy era's greatest fear. They are a complete Astartes Legion who are not beholden to the High Lords.

If anyone in the Imperium hierarchy knew what they were it would lead to monumental pants making GBS threads.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 3, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

They are a complete Astartes Legion who are not beholden to the High Lords.

Isn't this basically the Space Wolves, too?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Crucially, everyone knows what the Space Wolves are.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also, the Space Wolves agenda is out on the table. Murder things for the Allfather and protect the Allfather's people Inquisition be damned. Nobody really knows what the DA deal is.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

jadebullet posted:

For the record though, they do seem to be slowly turning around in their mindset.

By giving the their license to anyone willing to hack together a mobile game?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well there is the trouble of omnipotence in a lot of black library novels with characters knowing stuff they really shouldn't. It causes the universe to feel smaller. Very few bl books write from a limited perspective

Pariah was very good at that: the protagonist has been raised on a single planet and within a highly secretive and restrictive organisation: she describes events as she experiences them but it's left up to the reader to apply their knowledge of the 40k setting and deduct what's really going on. For example, when she encounters Chaos Space Marines for the first time she concludes easily enough that these are extremely sinister and dangerous individuals but has no idea of what they are or what they signify, although it's clear enough to an attentive reader. In a typical 40k novel, the author would be butting in at this point with a potted history of who they were, where they'd come from, what they were up to and their favorite colours, foods and pop groups. Tell, don't show, so to speak.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dawn of war 3 announced today. Eldar orks and space marines. No sign of chaos yet. Titan frames as big as imperial knights confirmed, but no word on if warhound or bigger are in it. The blud rahvens are back as well, as are bad moon orks and biel-tan Eldar.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dawn of war 3 announced today. Eldar orks and space marines. No sign of chaos yet. Titan frames as big as imperial knights confirmed, but no word on if warhound or bigger are in it. The blud rahvens are back as well, as are bad moon orks and biel-tan Eldar.

I would doubt anything much bigger than the Knight/Wraithknight was in it, otherwise they'd probably use that in the trailer to wow everybody with how big and cool they are. Also, the Orks are led by Gorgutz from the first game :orks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Angelos, gorgutz, bring back Macha and motherfucking sturnn or Vance stubbs and we'll have a party. He'll bring Castor too so we can have one big imperial guard slugging match. Not Aleksander though because he's dead

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If only Boreale hadn't died there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I have mixed feelings about that trailer. I don't get the wave of flying Orks, and I get a very AoS vibe from them for some reason. The Ork Dreads < Wraithknight < Knight scene was pretty cool though. At least Cena-Marine died doing what he loved.

The original DoW trailer is still tops in my book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have mixed feelings about that trailer. I don't get the wave of flying Orks, and I get a very AoS vibe from them for some reason. The Ork Dreads < Wraithknight < Knight scene was pretty cool though. At least Cena-Marine died doing what he loved.

The original DoW trailer is still tops in my book.

The whole scene felt very trippy to me. Like they were trapped on the Ork Purgatory world in the Eye of Terror, doomed(blessed) to battle over and over for all eternity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't get the wave of flying Orks

What's there to not get? It's symbolizes the Green Tide itself.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
All those bodies falling down into one volcano needs to summon a bunch of Khorne demons for the Last Stand mode.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
i liked this trailer

It distills the essence of the setting down to a series of set pieces that symbolize each faction and ultimately what the setting is for: eternal war

Edit: Also some of the choices for the aesthetics reminds me of Zdzisław Beksiński notably on the eldar armor but also on the statue of the emperor.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 3, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's like a dream sequence, not a literal battle.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

What's there to not get? It's symbolizes the Green Tide itself.

Yep. I 100% get that. Still wasn't a huge fan of the imagery.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Edit: Also some of the choices for the aesthetics reminds me of Zdzisław Beksiński notably on the eldar armor but also on the statue of the emperor.
Yuusssss this exactly. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you are so right. The Eldar Knights in particular were like some ancient scarred bone monsters. I am actually marginally hype.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

I have some good news for you, Macha is confirmed for Dawn of War III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

SRM posted:

I would doubt anything much bigger than the Knight/Wraithknight was in it, otherwise they'd probably use that in the trailer to wow everybody with how big and cool they are. Also, the Orks are led by Gorgutz from the first game :orks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Gorgutz is eternal, Gorgutz is the waggh personified.