Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't want Tonkatsu DJ to look any different, it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of animation quality, I really like the look of Kiznaiver. The character designs are cool and there's a copious amount of exaggeration on every mouth movement and walk cycle. It's cool. I don't think I really care about the story at all but hell thats kind of a positive, since this might be Trigger's best show so far as a result. All style

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

People who use animation as the primary indicator of overall quality are real losers.

anime is a visual medium so i think it's always fair to have the animation quality be a major part of how you judge a show

that said, the animation in tonkatsu dj is good. it's non-traditional sure, but it succeeds perfectly in doing what it wants to do

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

anime is a visual medium so i think it's always fair to have the animation quality be a major part of how you judge a show

that said, the animation in tonkatsu dj is good. it's non-traditional sure, but it succeeds perfectly in doing what it wants to do

I think there are a lot of ways for something to be visually compelling without being well animated, although I think I'm defining animation as a single element while you may be using it as a more encompassing term

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tonkatsu DJ is good. The style suits it, it doesn't need to have super realistic animations and movements, and the VA work is great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, it's funny.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

GorfZaplen posted:

People who use animation as the primary indicator of overall quality are real losers.

People focus on different things in their media, consciously or unconsciously, just as they learn things in varying ways. Some people like the technical aspects of animation, I personally seem to focus on the voice acting and sound design, etc.

Doesn't mean that anybody's wrong.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

People focus on different things in their media, consciously or unconsciously, just as they learn things in varying ways. Some people like the technical aspects of animation, I personally seem to focus on the voice acting and sound design, etc.

calling the animation in Tonkatsu DJ bad is wrong though. at the least it's a very uninformed or exaggerated use of the label "bad"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

i focus, on the baps and wives

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Namtab posted:

i focus, on the baps and wives

OK, so "Character design and facial expressiveness".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This week's Joker Game was another unconnected vignette, so I'm dropping it. Shame, it had some promise. :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

This week's Joker Game was another unconnected vignette, so I'm dropping it. Shame, it had some promise. :(

It'll probably be one of those shows that goes back to the "main story" in the last couple eps, I feel.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

It'll probably be one of those shows that goes back to the "main story" in the last couple eps, I feel.

Right. Unfortunately, I was expecting a single plot thread throughout the entire show rather than the D-Agency training school stuff only featuring for the first two and maybe last couple of episodes, so it's just not something I'm interested in. :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, watching Kuromukuro.

9/10, nude samurai needed to gently caress more poo poo up.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I hate Mayoiga so much. 98% of last week's episodr was fuckass boring, pointless or redundant, then two seconds of crazy poo poo happens at the very end, and I'm like " sigh. Guess I'm watching another episode."

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I love Mayoiga so much. It cracks me up more every week.

Speaking of, just saw this post this morning: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/05/03/feature-aniwords-the-lost-village-is-the-best-comedy-of-the-season

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

esselfortium posted:

I love Mayoiga so much. It cracks me up more every week.

Speaking of, just saw this post this morning: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/05/03/feature-aniwords-the-lost-village-is-the-best-comedy-of-the-season

This write up sucks!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mayoiga is a legitimately good show, so far. The only thing I don't like about it is Lovepon's shtick, but it looks like the next episode is focused entirely on her so maybe she'll get better.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Nope. Mayoiga sucks and literally nothing about it works, even a little, even ironically. Betwern the unfunny garbage characters and the baffling ways the show constantly chooses to waste its own time, I struggle to see it even as "so bad its good" anymore, it's just...bad. Can't wait for last week's cliffhanger to be time skipped and rendered totally pointless too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Nope. Mayoiga sucks and literally nothing about it works, even a little, even ironically. Betwern the unfunny garbage characters and the baffling ways the show constantly chooses to waste its own time, I struggle to see it even as "so bad its good" anymore, it's just...bad. Can't wait for last week's cliffhanger to be time skipped and rendered totally pointless too.

i think you made your point the first time

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

How dare people like something I don't!?!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

I hate Mayoiga so much. 98% of last week's episodr was fuckass boring, pointless or redundant, then two seconds of crazy poo poo happens at the very end, and I'm like " sigh. Guess I'm watching another episode."

C'mon, the Catacomb Assbound running gag was great. And Mitsumune's girl thing getting weirder by the episode.

It does rely heavily on deadpan conversational humour, though, so if that's not your thing, I can see how you might not like it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

its win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your name, "Jack", and my name, "Hyouketsu-no-Judgeness", sound a like!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Your name, "Jack", and my name, "Hyouketsu-no-Judgeness", sound a like!

lol

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's impressive how much info Mayoiga conveys about its characters considering each one has about 30 seconds of screen time an episode. It may mean a lot of devolves to people just screaming their base desires in little sound bites or basically having catch phrases, but it works. I'm looking forward to the paranoia of the Other eventually tearing the group apart.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen a single wasted minute in the four Mayoiga episodes i've watched yet. Almost everything was on point. They reiterate on the "main character's" out-of-whack creepiness kinda a lot, but i have faith so far that they're going somewhere with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mayoiga is genuinely entertaining

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I really like Mayoiga, not my fave show this season but probably the one I'm most excited to see more of.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't think I like Mayoiga, but I do know I can't stop watching so it's doing something right.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Mayoiga really clicked with the latest episode for me. I just stopped giving a poo poo and took it all in.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sorry for being swarthy earlier.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
apparently an ova for Charlotte just came out. maybe its an epilogue to make the ending not dumb

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blhue posted:

apparently an ova for Charlotte just came out. maybe its an epilogue to make the ending not dumb

I thought the ending was just kinda rushed. And very tonally different from the rest of the show I wanna say. Oddly, I wanna say it's the least VN-ish outta Jun Maeda's stuff so far since I can't see it having multiple routes like you can see with Angel Beats, unless it was supposed to be his attempt at Steins;Gate.

EDIT: Also, it's just another case of the week episode, based off skimming it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Allarion posted:

EDIT: Also, it's just another case of the week episode, based off skimming it.

laaame

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Charlotte's main couple and their interactions were good. Nearly everything else in the show was a bizarre, incoherent, weirdly-paced mess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another one of those japanese popularity polls, this time from charapedia. i don't know what the numbers man

in other news, kuromokuro will be 2 cours! its by far the best p.a works show that isn't shirobako so far, so check it out! it has some gorgeous character animation and great humor + robots if you're into that sort of thing (i'm not and i still like it!)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Davincie posted:

in other news, kuromokuro will be 2 cours! its by far the best p.a works show that isn't shirobako so far, so check it out! it has some gorgeous character animation and great humor + robots if you're into that sort of thing (i'm not and i still like it!)

D-Did you see Eccentric Family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

what is this indirect Eccentric Family burn???

• Locked thread