Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What about hard drive manufacturers that sell hard drives based on 1000 bytes to the kilobyte versus the 1024 that the computer recognizes?

That’s like complaining that you ordered a dozen of something and didn’t get a bakers dozen.

HDD manufacturers (and OS X, and some Linux distros) are right. Windows is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Zhentar posted:

That is incorrect; there is very little file system overhead counted in that calculation. The discrepancy is mostly from spare area, reserved for remapping to optimize writes and remap failed blocks.

You're right, but still the GB/GiB conversion would give less than what the OS reports.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

coathat posted:

From what I've heard the Kobalt trimmers not that good. Ego seems to be the best overall in battery lawn tools. Plus they're really focused on growing their brand so they'll be really generous with their warranty.

That's good to know. I keep hearing good things about Ego when I do google searches, and almost nothing about Kobalt. I'll try to take a trip to Home Depot soon and see if I just happened to miss the Ego trimmer. Or, if I go for the Ego mower (the self-propelled one is interesting to me, though I'm wondering about battery life with it), I might just make a blind purchase through the online thing. We have a trimmer now that I can at least use for a little while. Assuming I can ever figure out how to actually trim, and what I'm trying to do when I do so.

blindjoe posted:

I plan on getting the Stihl RMA 370 when I finally get mad at my lovely toro.

I have a co-worker that is completely in love with Stihl, but I'm not sure where I could actually find any near me. And while they have a battery mower, I've yet to actually see anyone talk about it online like I have the Ego.

EDIT: Okay, I can't figure out how to google this effectively. The Ego trimmers have both a 12" model and a 15" model. What's the big deal about the string length, and why would I want one over the other?

Axiem fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 4, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

That’s like complaining that you ordered a dozen of something and didn’t get a bakers dozen.

HDD manufacturers (and OS X, and some Linux distros) are right. Windows is wrong.

So 10% of PCs are right, and 90% are wrong.

(I don't really care, I was more pointing out that there are multiple ways to measure some things that can be both technically right)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Axiem posted:

That's good to know. I keep hearing good things about Ego when I do google searches, and almost nothing about Kobalt. I'll try to take a trip to Home Depot soon and see if I just happened to miss the Ego trimmer. Or, if I go for the Ego mower (the self-propelled one is interesting to me, though I'm wondering about battery life with it), I might just make a blind purchase through the online thing. We have a trimmer now that I can at least use for a little while. Assuming I can ever figure out how to actually trim, and what I'm trying to do when I do so.

I have a co-worker that is completely in love with Stihl, but I'm not sure where I could actually find any near me. And while they have a battery mower, I've yet to actually see anyone talk about it online like I have the Ego.

EDIT: Okay, I can't figure out how to google this effectively. The Ego trimmers have both a 12" model and a 15" model. What's the big deal about the string length, and why would I want one over the other?

The 15 inch is better. It cuts a larger area obviously but it also uses a larger diameter line so it will cut better and the line will last longer.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Axiem posted:

My last lawn mower finally bit the dust, so I'm looking to buy a new one. I'm quite done with gas mowers, and am totally on board with battery-powered ones. Right now, I'm heavily contemplating either the Kobalt 40v or the 80v model, and picking up the respective line trimmer and leaf blower when I do, to get a battery cycle going. Does anyone have any experience with these? Which voltage would actually be better?

For reference, the actual grassy area of the lawn is about 1/8th of an acre, split between front and back of the house.

After only using gas mowers I'm now using a hand-me-down Ryobi 40V system (Mower + String Trimmer) that came with one 2-AH battery that is only enough to do the back or 2/3rds of the front. I've since gone out and ordered this 5-AH one and it lets me cut front and back in one go (~50 min of run time).

I leave it on the second highest setting to cut my zoysia but it can bog down if a wheel sinks a bit but I don't think I'll ever go back to gas. It's too convenient to have a quiet, non-smelly way of mowing the yard, plus it's light enough to carry up into my backyard (the grass area is accessed via steps) and I don't feel guilty starting it up early in the morning as the sound doesn't really make it inside, let alone into the neighbor's house. My front is pretty sloped so the light-weight works out well there, too.

Ideally, given the hills and the ~1/3 acre I'd have a reel mower but with the amount of trees in my yard all the little twigs would be murder on the blades. As it is I'm sharpening about once a month because I'm too lazy to pick them all up.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Jonny Quest posted:

As it is I'm sharpening about once a month because I'm too lazy to pick them all up.

:monocle: apparently I should be sharpening my mower blade more often

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Jonny Quest posted:

Ideally, given the hills and the ~1/3 acre I'd have a reel mower

That sounds like madness to me. I have a 40" zero turn for my 1/3 acre. It takes me less than 10 minutes to mow all together :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Squibbles posted:

Yeah, I think I"m going to have to look into that, too. I've got a Dremel, so I'm halfway there! :haw:

Related to mower-chat: I was gifted a Neuton electric mower from my dad at the end of last summer when I bought my house. I hated it then, and when I first dragged it out of the garage for the first mow of the season last weekend i hated it moire. The winter was not kind to the battery (I guess to be fair,m I shouldn't have kept it outside in the cold.)

I didn't want to buy a new battery because they're over $100, and I figured I can just go on Craigslist and get a halfway decent used mower for that much that does a better job. This electric can't handle long grass.,..or medium grass...or any grass, really.

But then I found out I can just open up the proprietary battery case and inside are just a couple of relatively standard SLA batteries. Got replacements for $40. So once they come in I can see if all my issues with the mower are just because the batteries were dying, and also possibly the blade being too dull to cut butter.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Was wondering what it might take to replace battery cells for my drill. This instructable made me laugh:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebuild-Your-Ryobi-ONE-Battery-Pack/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Gounads posted:

Was wondering what it might take to replace battery cells for my drill. This instructable made me laugh:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebuild-Your-Ryobi-ONE-Battery-Pack/

Yeah Black Friday two packs of the high capacity are the best deal in batteries out there. The only way to get cheaper batteries is the Ikea cordless SDS drill. Yeah... The drill nets cheaper batteries than buying batteries, and they are decent quality.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Squibbles posted:

Most of our GWS brethren will poo poo on them left and right but I was gifted an Accusharp and I just use that to touch up the blade as needed. Since it's a bent mulching blade it's a little tricky so I may just need to stop being lazy and get the Dremel to do it properly.

But I was always told to error on the side of dull with a mower blade so the Accusharp wins out for being hilariously easy to do rather than putting the right bit and blade jig on the Dremel.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Jonny Quest posted:

Most of our GWS brethren will poo poo on them left and right but I was gifted an Accusharp and I just use that to touch up the blade as needed. Since it's a bent mulching blade it's a little tricky so I may just need to stop being lazy and get the Dremel to do it properly.

But I was always told to error on the side of dull with a mower blade so the Accusharp wins out for being hilariously easy to do rather than putting the right bit and blade jig on the Dremel.

I got a bigger version of something like that for my axe. I bet it would be great for things like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny Quest posted:

But I was always told to error on the side of dull with a mower blade

Mower blades and axes. If they are too sharp they tend to fold over.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Hmmm, the dremel blade sharpening attachment looks a lot like something I already have. Maybe I should try using it. But, uh, is there a point where the blade is too dinged up to be salvageable?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Again, I have the most folklore of garden-tool education but I tend to just barely touch up a single ding because I've never bothered to properly balance my blade to make sure I'm removing the same amount of metal from the other side to compensate. I suppose I could just shove a nail through a board and make a DIY blade balance but, again, :effort:. If it's that questionable a new blade is probably $20.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Motronic posted:

Mower blades and axes. If they are too sharp they tend to fold over.

That has to do with sharpening angle not how sharp it is.

wormil posted:

Axes and mower blades should be sharp, not dulled, but they need the right edge profile.

This guy gets it.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 6, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

deimos posted:

That has to do with sharpening angle not how sharp it is.

“Sharpness” is a poorly defined concept.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Axes and mower blades should be sharp, not dulled, but they need the right edge profile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wormil posted:

I think I phrased what I said poorly based on the response, but yeah....what you said.

You can't sharpen either with a profile like a knife or they fold over. It is about angle. And that angle is way more obtuse than the uninitiated would think.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I do mine at 40-45ish degrees.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd crosspost this here. Probably a lot of the same crowd, but it's worth a try:

Bad Munki posted:

All righty, I'm back! The lawnmower is in tip top shape now. Starts great, got the blades sharpened, good to go. Now I need to figure out this drat chainsaw. It was having this problem last year and I eventually just got fed up and packed it away.

The symptom: stalls out under full throttle or when needing any actual torque. I can slowly bring it up to full speed, but the moment I try to cut, the rpms drop and it stalls out on me.

It's a poulan (yay.) pro I bought back in, oh, 2000-something, worked great for many years. It started doing this last year or maybe the year before? I don't remember, haven't used it much recently. I've checked the spark plug, spark looks good and consistent. Replaced the air filter. I'd emptied the gas tank last year, although the gas I put in it this year was a year or two old. I guess I should try new gas just to be sure that's not it. Never seen any indication of water in the tank. Fuel filter looks clean as a whistle.

Here's a video. Sorry for the lovely aim, the phone was being held by the chainsaw case, it was the best I could do at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWmuseLQVbU

Here's the script, since it may be hard to get details from the video:

1) Prior to the video, I'd been running it for a couple minutes, so it was already a little warm
2) Pop the cover off, remove the air filter cover, and the air filter, to ensure I'm getting as good air flow as I can
3) Flip the switch to turn it on (I accidentally pulled the choke, but I put it back before starting)
4) Fires right up, nice and happy on the second pull (I was kinda surprised it didn't go on the first, actually)
5) Blip the throttle to idle down, since it had been previously warmed
6) Disengage brake just to make sure everything's spinning freely
7) Throttle up slowly, get good rpm (I should have held the throttle there for a minute, didn't, can try again if needed)
8) Throttle down
9) Throttle up quickly and hold at max throttle
10) Engine stalls

Help me, goons! I have a date tonight with half a dozen 60'+ poplar trees at an all-you-can-eat firewood buffet!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Bad Munki posted:

Just for kicks, I thought I'd crosspost this here. Probably a lot of the same crowd, but it's worth a try:

Does this chainsaw require an oil/gas mix, or does the manual say straight gas is ok?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It takes a mix. It was recommended in the fix it fast thread that I try a pre-mix, as they don't have the ethanol additive, which can be hard on these little 2-strokes, so I'm giving that a try now.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 13, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Have you tried playing around with the carb screw adjustments? Sounds like it might be running kind of lean. Sharpening your blade might help a bit too.

I'm not sure if seafoam is recommended for two stroke engines, but additives like that can help clean out the carburetor and other deposits in the engine. Worth a shot to try adding a bit in there, in case there's any sludge residue from the old gas. If the old gas has any ethanol in there, that causes it to break down faster and go bad quicker as well, all that's something else to consider.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Massasoit posted:

Re chainsaw

Try getting some of the premixed "super fuel". Ethanol gas isn't great from small engines iirc. That might help. When was the last time you tore it down and really cleaned that sucker out?

I feel like a bit of a dipshit for not chucking the old gas sooner, but this fixed it. In retrospect, I honestly can't say how old my mix was, the mix may have gone to poo poo after so many years of sitting in the shed. But I drained it, put in some premix (:lol: at $5/qt), let it idle for a bit, and then happily cut away at some logs by my fire pit. Went like buttah. So I'm rolling my eyes at myself for not starting there, but I'm stoked because the party's back on!

OSU_Matthew posted:

If the old gas has any ethanol in there, that causes it to break down faster and go bad quicker as well, all that's something else to consider.
100% this. I am a dingus. :downsgun:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Seafoam is fine for two-strokes, according to my still running mid 80's Johnson seahorse. Add it to the gas. Blow it into the carb. Suck it up the vacuum line. Screw out the plugs and put it directly onto the piston. Seafoam everywhere all the time forever. Always seafoam.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zhentar posted:

That is incorrect; there is very little file system overhead counted in that calculation. The discrepancy is mostly from spare area, reserved for remapping to optimize writes and remap failed blocks.

Over-provisioning is invisible to the user. For example, your 32GB Apple i-whatever actually has twice as much storage as that, but the user can only ever see the 32GB. Same kind of thing for hard drives but on a smaller scale - you will never get access to those extra blocks and they are never reported to the host unless the firmware has remapped to them. It is all down to a combination of file system overhead (format a thumb drive as FAT32/NTFS/exFAT and see the available space change) and the kilo/kibi thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gromit posted:

Over-provisioning is invisible to the user. For example, your 32GB Apple i-whatever actually has twice as much storage as that,

Citation needed.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Put Seafoam in your hard disks to make them go faster.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Citation needed.

Gromit is his own goddamn citation son.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DreadLlama posted:

Put Seafoam in your hard disks to make them go faster.

Can confirm, seafoam really helps clean out those old file deposits in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

deimos posted:

Gromit is his own goddamn citation son.

I was unaware.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

Citation needed.

Fair statement.
I was at a computer forensics training course recently and I'm pretty sure that came up in conversation with the people running it. It must have been the mobile device guys at MSAB, but I'll be damned if I can recall who it was specifically that said it.
If I remember when I get back to work in a couple of days I'll look back through my notes and see if I can confirm where it came up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sure thanks, I'd be interested. I wouldn't be surprised to hear an unreported 5-15% overhead slush fund but 100% sounded unlikely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve seen as high as 60% overprovisioning (Intel SSD 710), but certainly many devices are much lower (like 10%).

I don’t know about iPhones, specifically.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Looking for an inexpensive, entry level dremel type tool for household jobs. I'm looking at the Dremel 200 or the 7700. Is one of those better or worse? I don't have a strong need for a cordless tool - just looking for something that can do light cutting/sanding on small projects. Open to other makes/models as well. If it's worth the extra 20 bucks for the variable speed 3,000 i'm open to that as well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I have the 7700 and it is fine for what it is. I guess I'd say if you're going to be using it for heavy duty then go for the AC powered, or if for crafts type poo poo (like me) the 7700.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cakefool posted:

Sure thanks, I'd be interested. I wouldn't be surprised to hear an unreported 5-15% overhead slush fund but 100% sounded unlikely.

You were right to call me out on it. After speaking with the guys who ran the course they claim ignorance, so we're asking the dev guys in Sweden, as well checking the attendance list to see who it might have been and what department they are with. That might give me some idea of the veracity of it.
At this point I'd rate my original statement at the level of "poo poo my uncle who works at Nintendo says is true".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Platystemon posted:

I’ve seen as high as 60% overprovisioning (Intel SSD 710), but certainly many devices are much lower (like 10%).

I don’t know about iPhones, specifically.
Over provisioning is an ssd thing. Since SSDs are almost always physically power of 2 devices, if the capacity is a round number you can round up to the nearest power of 2 to get the physical capacity. IE a 250GB ssd is physically 256 with 6GB of storage to use as cells go bad. You lose a little bit of storage but the device doesn't die when the first cell does.