Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Voices from Chernobyl?

Oh, whoa. I was thinking something more about everyday life and culture, but this looks really interesting too, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Whisperers by Orlando Figes is the same thing, but with regular people that got purged by Stalin.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It's a historical novel series about men on big boats.

It's also really good as audiobooks.

Link to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

If you're Catholic or at least not anti-religious, A Canticle for Liebowitz is very well done post-apoc.

I'm an angry atheist who grew up in the UK (so protestant culture rather than catholic) and I enjoyed A Canticle for Liebowitz a lot, its an excellent book :).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luvcow posted:

I really loved reading Salt and Cod by Mark Kurlansky because i could read them in small installments when i had some down time and everything inside was interesting. Its been years (a decade? 20 years??) since i read them but i'm always looking for a nice bathroom reading book that i don't have to fully commit to. Any ideas?

you might like Mary Roach's books, perhaps Stiff or Packing for Mars

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Does "other books termed post-modern" include Thomas Pynchon? Because this is a big part of his appeal. If you haven't tried him, I recommend The Crying of Lot 49 and Inherent Vice.

Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, Daniel Handler, Vladimir Nabakov, Carson McCullers, Flannery O'Connor, and Jack Kerouac all come to mind as well. None of them are post-modern; some inspired the post-modern era, others were inspired by it.

I honestly hadn't even heard of Thomas Pynchon, so I'll definitely check out those books! Thanks for the suggestions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

If you're Catholic or at least not anti-religious, A Canticle for Liebowitz is very well done post-apoc.
If I shook hands with the pope we'd be mutually annihilated and I also enjoyed it.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Thank y'all for the suggestions! I'll head to the library tomorrow and check some of them out. I've already read 1984 (hello, I took AP English courses) and, uhh, it's not exactly what I'm looking for but I appreciate it nonetheless!

I also wouldn't mind genre fiction suggestions, considering that Pratchett is my favorite author and I play in (or run) 3 games of Dungeons and Dragons games. I am not above trashy romance or the softest of scifi.

if you're open to comic books or graphic novels, you might pick up the first trades of Saga or Low, which are both science-fantasy set in very (VERY) violent, depressing worlds, but with fundamentally good characters who are honestly starting to make a difference for the better.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Subjunctive posted:

you might like Mary Roach's books, perhaps Stiff or Packing for Mars

will check these out, ty

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

seveneves was really good but it has that avatar quality of wondering when the gently caress it's going to end sometimes which is kinda

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

also neil degrasse tyson is totally one of the main characters, which is cool

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you really have to enjoy elaborate-descriptions-of-people-making GBS threads-in-plastic-bags-levels of space nerdery to make it through it though, and i didn't

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

bog pixie posted:

So if I liked Don Delillo's White Noise a lot, what else should I read? I loved the writing style and how it focused on mundane things but talked about them in a weird, almost spiritual way. I tried looking at other books termed postmodern but they were only OK

Well, none of his subsequent books are like White Noise, so don't read them thinking you're gonna get another one like that.

The closest author that comes to mind when I think of absurdist analysis of everyday objects might be something by Vonnegut? There's also David Sedaris, but that's getting pretty far along the path towards comedy.

EDIT: actually, the Sedaris recommendation is kind of stupid of me

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 4, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

So what I'm looking for is a novel that is basically the polar opposite of that. I'd like any recommendations for a novel that presents a dark, even dystopian world, but one where there is actually some kind of hope for the protagonists, that is constant and foreshadowed and, well, earned. I'm not asking for something where everything is sunshine and rainbows, but just something where the protagonists have a chance, or where good, likable people survive in a super lovely situation without it turning them lovely.

Blindness by Jose Saramago

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The last book I read that had a big effect on me was The Road, but as one might understand that effect was a hugely negative one. The book was obviously bleak and hopeless, but more than anything else the . What made me mad about it was that it had the motherfucking gall to pretend in the last like five pages that there was actually some sort of hope in the bleak, shitheap of a world that the novel presented, and that just made me loving pissed. It was totally unearned and gross and exploitative and just, like, bullshit.

So what I'm looking for is a novel that is basically the polar opposite of that. I'd like any recommendations for a novel that presents a dark, even dystopian world, but one where there is actually some kind of hope for the protagonists, that is constant and foreshadowed and, well, earned. I'm not asking for something where everything is sunshine and rainbows, but just something where the protagonists have a chance, or where good, likable people survive in a super lovely situation without it turning them lovely.
Day of the Triffids

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Recommend me a book I can read for free online. I don't have a lot of money, and I am into most fiction. I like interesting weird books. House of Leaves is a really good book, and I loved Only Revolutions but I lost my copy.

☆♤♤Gayer_Than_life♤♤☆

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

hi jimson..I'm sure someone will recommend a good book shortly but in the interim I'm going to suggest this short story by Cory Doctorow:

http://www.salon.com/2002/08/28/0wnz0red/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimson posted:

Recommend me a book I can read for free online. I don't have a lot of money, and I am into most fiction. I like interesting weird books. House of Leaves is a really good book, and I loved Only Revolutions but I lost my copy.

Blindsight, a creepy but well-constructed sci-fi novel that is quite well-regarded.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimson posted:

Anything published before 1930 or so is free online, so my first advice is develop a taste for old stuff. My kindle saved my thousands of dollars because I just spent a few years reading everything pre-1930.

If you like fantasy novels, things by Lord Dunsany. For a taste of his style, try this short story: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm and if you like it just google anything he ever wrote and download it, it's all free.

Similarly you might want to look up Lud in the Mist by Hope Mirrlees -- also fantasy, also great, also kinda weird.

For a mystery novel, my favorite free recommendation is Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. It was a Book Barn BotM a few months back, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740073&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post449786043

For an adventure story, Xenophon's March of the Ten Thousand. It was also a recent BotM! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762828

For a funny light read, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758696 (if you're sensing a trend, yes, I try to pick free books at least half the time for BoTM).

None of those are especially avant-garde weird though. Kinda depends on exactly how far you want to let your freak flag fly, here. Tristram Shandy might be worth looking up; it was *incredibly* weird by the standards of the 1700's when it was published, and isn't exactly ordinary even by today's standards:

quote:

As its title suggests, the book is ostensibly Tristram's narration of his life story. But it is one of the central jokes of the novel that he cannot explain anything simply, that he must make explanatory diversions to add context and colour to his tale, to the extent that Tristram's own birth is not even reached until Volume III.

. . . .

Samuel Johnson in 1776 famously commented, "Nothing odd will do long. Tristram Shandy did not last."[16][17] Schopenhauer privately rebutted Samuel Johnson, saying: "The man Sterne is worth 1,000 Pedants and commonplace-fellows like Dr.J."[18] The young Karl Marx was a devotee of Tristram Shandy, and wrote a short humorous novel, Scorpion and Felix, which remains unpublished, which was obviously influenced by it.[14][19] Goethe praised Sterne in Wilhelm Meister's Journeyman Years, which in turn influenced Nietzsche.[14][20]

Tristram Shandy has also been seen by formalists and other literary critics as a forerunner of many narrative devices and styles used by modernist and postmodernist authors such as James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, Carlos Fuentes, Milan Kundera and Salman Rushdie.[21]

Speaking of, Woolf is pretty drat weird too. Her Orlando was nominated but not picked for this month's BoTM and might be weird enough to interest you. Should be free I think.

If you can't find a book on Amazon's kindle store for free, but you know it's out of copyright, it's worth checking other ebook websites like Gutenberg.org or manybooks.net

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
everything by mark twain has hit public domain so that could be a good option

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimson posted:

https://www.freesfonline.de lists (legally) free online sf. It's obviously a crapshoot but if you have any authors you like check out their indexes.
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm and anything else by Charles Stross on his freesf author index.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 5, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

another good source of free ebooks is uni of adelaide:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
If you have borrowing privileges at a library, ask if they have a subscription to Overdrive. You can borrow all kinds of e-books there, including current fiction and non-fiction. The inventory is different depending on your library, but it's another way to find legally free books to read.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

overdrive is great! for both text and audiobooks. it's worth noting that if your local library doesn't have the best selection, many larger, city libraries will issue cards to anyone who lives in state, not just locally. then you can access all of their digital content even if you never set foot in the physical library again.

some libraries also offer Flipster, which is similar but gives you free access to digital copies of magazines. you can get new issues of the New Yorker, GQ, Artnews, Rolling Stone, and lots of other both big and small magazines and read them on your phone or w/e just for having a library card

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

ok byob get your last minute requests in or bookmark this thread. the bookmobile is moving to PYF tomorrow

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
this was a really good thread, thank you book barn people :)

FluffieDuckie posted:

ok byob get your last minute requests in or bookmark this thread. the bookmobile is moving to PYF tomorrow

please replace with another interesting subform thread if possible

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

cya bookmobile, stay safe out there!

hi how are you ♥

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Seriously though y all best be doing the book club this month

Mudkiper out

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
I have never been to The Book Barn but from now on I will. Thanks Book readers!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mulli posted:

I have never been to The Book Barn but from now on I will. Thanks Book readers!

Yes, please do come and visit!

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Luvcow posted:

please replace with another interesting subform thread if possible

i've extended an invitation to everyone so let's see who's the bravest

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Splicer posted:

https://www.freesfonline.de lists (legally) free online sf. It's obviously a crapshoot but if you have any authors you like check out their indexes.
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm and anything else by Charles Stross on his freesf author index.

ulvir posted:

another good source of free ebooks is uni of adelaide:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au

I wish I had heard about these sooner

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

thank you book barn :wave:

next stop PYF

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi book barn friends! Welcome to PYF, the forum where we post our favorites, so I will start us off by posting a few of MY favorites

1. The Guards (Irish noir, Ken Bruen)
2. Attachments (romantic comedy, Rainbow Rowell)
3. The Russian Concubine (historical fiction, Kate Furnivall)
4. Paranoia (thriller, Joseph Finder)

thanks for LISTening, haha get it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hello New Forum

Tell us what sort of books you like or are looking for and we will recommend a book just for you

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Nobody reads PYF it's a forum of user control panel browsers.
What's good Polish literature?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wisława Szymborska is one of my favorite poets. Miracle Fair is an excellent volume of her selected poetry in English.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really enjoyed Inherent Vice by Pynchon but kinda struggle with his other works, although I did enjoy them when I could. Are there any more approachable works in postmodern fiction?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

I really enjoyed Inherent Vice by Pynchon but kinda struggle with his other works, although I did enjoy them when I could. Are there any more approachable works in postmodern fiction?

Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions or Calvino's Invisible Cities. Maybe some of Philip K Dick's more grounded works like Man in the High Castle or VALIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's ok, we want people to bookmark this thread and follow the book-piper back to bookland book barn

quote:

Stanisław Lem (Polish pronunciation: [staˈɲiswaf ˈlɛm] ( listen); 12 September 1921 – 27 March 2006) was a Polish writer of science fiction, philosophy, and satire, and a trained physician. Lem's books have been translated into forty-one languages and have sold over forty-five million copies.[2][3] From the 1950s to 2000s, he published many books, both science fiction and philosophical/futurological. He is best known as the author of the 1961 novel Solaris, which has been made into a feature film three times. In 1976, Theodore Sturgeon wrote that Lem was the most widely read science-fiction writer in the world.[4]

Lem's works explore philosophical themes through speculation on technology, the nature of intelligence, the impossibility of mutual communication and understanding, despair about human limitations, and humanity's place in the universe. They are sometimes presented as fiction, but others are in the form of essays or philosophical books.

Translations of his works are difficult due to passages with elaborate word formation, alien or robotic poetry, and puns.

. . . .

Lem singled out only one[22] American SF writer for praise, Philip K. Dick—see the 1986 English-language anthology of his critical essays, Microworlds. Dick thought that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect. Stanisław Lem was also responsible for Polish translation of Dick's work, and when Dick felt monetarily short-changed by the publisher, he held Lem personally responsible (see Microworlds).[23]