Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

DemeaninDemon posted:

The tiny ones like micro, nano, pico, and femto are useful in various scientific fields.

Micro, nano, and pico are all used on capacitors because the Farad is stupidly huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Explosionface posted:

Micro, nano, and pico are all used on capacitors because the Farad is stupidly huge.

How did the Farad end up so massive anyway?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

xthetenth posted:

1 Coulomb of charge stored over 1 volt of potential difference because metric/SI units must have a simple unit definition.

A Coulomb is a pretty large unit of charge (so it's kind of a cascading effect), although it manages to backfeed decently into the definition of an ampere (1A = 1C/s), which is actually reasonable.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They make capacitors with thousands of farads. The problem is they use technologies that end up having low working voltages and they have high ESRs so you can't pulse them as hard as you might like. They're not very big though, like soda can size for a few thousand.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

xthetenth posted:

I'm not sure, but when I saw a 1 Farad capacitor in the UK Maplin catalog when I was a teenager, my reaction was "What? No, can't be that big".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Keiya posted:

Dust is hardcore. If you get it fine enough, say, using sawdust, you can literally run jet engines on wood and air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippisch_P.13a

quote:

As conventional fuels were in extremely short supply by late 1944, Lippisch proposed that the P.13a be powered by coal. Initially, it was proposed that a wire-mesh basket holding coal be mounted behind a nose air intake, protruding slightly into the airflow and ignited by a gas burner. Following wind-tunnel testing of the ramjet and the coal basket, modifications were incorporated to provide more efficient combustion.
The coal was to take the form of small granules instead of irregular lumps, to produce a controlled and even burn, and the basket was altered to a mesh drum revolving on a vertical axis at 60 rpm. A jet of flame from tanks of bottled gas would fire into the basket once the P.13a had reached operating speed (above 320 km/h), whether by using a rocket to assist takeoff or by being towed.
The air passing through the ramjet would take the fumes from the burning coal towards the rear where they would mix under high pressure with clean air taken from a separate intake. The resulting mixture of gas would then be directed out through a rear nozzle to provide thrust. A burner and drum were built and tested successfully in Vienna by the design team before the end of the war.

Not so good for an engine with moving parts, but okay with a ramjet.

But then again, boronated fuels weren't good for engines with moving parts (since the combustion product is basically a ceramic which does awful things to your turbine blades), but that didn't stop the air force from giving it the old college try.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Phanatic posted:

But then again, boronated fuels weren't good for engines with moving parts (since the combustion product is basically a ceramic which does awful things to your turbine blades), but that didn't stop the air force from giving it the old college try.

Nobody cares about the Boron if you only have to fire the weapon once. This is as bad as you imagine.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hexyflexy posted:

Nobody cares about the Boron if you only have to fire the weapon once. This is as bad as you imagine.

I'm guessing "zip past Soviet air defences on a probably-suicidal nuclear bombing mission"?

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 17:31 on May 10, 2016

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Deteriorata posted:

Bits of encouragement are given in attoboys (and attogirls).

This is great because if I really want to encourage someone, I could give them a femtoboy of encouragement, which could get confusing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

I'm guessing "zip past Soviet air defences on a probably-suicidal nuclear bombing mission"?

I'm guessing this would be a V1 buzz bomb alternative. You could certainly fly a pulse jet engine with coal dust, though it would jam up the mechanism pretty quickly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Enourmo posted:

i can't wait for the metric kevin bacon game, 0.10472 radians to Kevin Bacon

stuff gets standardized because people have some conception of how big that unit is. kinda like how aviation still uses feet no matter how high you go, so it's 42,000 feet and not 8 miles. (although the granularity plays into that, too; 500 feet is a lot easier to conseptualize than .1524 km.)

Kilograms are still dumb though for having the base unit have a prefix.

You're talking about building height there, which is usually given in meters. (Except when we're talking about "they're buiding a skyscraper of over a kilometer tall!")

Millimeters and centimeters are also commonly used for all kinds of things. And it's decimal, so it's easy to see that 1.25 m = 1m 25cm. Smaller units of length are often used in all kinds of scientific fields. Milliliter, centiliter and deciliter are all common in cooking. MHz and GHz are common frequencies when talking about computer stuff, and also electromagnetic radiation. KHz is used for ancient computers and sound. I could go on and on. Most prefixes are in common use, just not every prefix for every unit, and it's still useful to have them as a standard for scientific purposes, instead of making up non-decimal poo poo as you go.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

In the machining world, we use decimalized inches with .001 in (called a 'thou') being our basic unit. So loving dumb, just use metric goddamn. I get that change was and is scary, but just like with human children, human societies eventually need to grow the gently caress up.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I'd like to express my extreme displeasure with hydrologists for using 'acre-feet per year' as a measure of flow rate, along with half a dozen other units. In hydrology class I wasted a huge amount of time doing step by step conversions to meters cubed per second because my professor demanded it. Occasionally gallons per minute came up too, the whole thing was a horrible mess of units.

To contribute to the thread, when I was a kid, my father let me play with a bunch of old chemicals and stuff he had scavenged from labs when his company downsized or moved labs. One such chemical was Potassium Dichromate which he warned me to be careful not to get on me lest I become poisoned, have an allergic reaction or develop cancer. He did show me that the powder burned very impressively with a bunch of sparks though, so that was fun. (I don't recall now if this was some other reaction or straight up burning) I really liked it because it was bright red and, as any kid knows, brightly colored chemicals are the best. Its a neat salt and can be used for photography and wood staining apparently, but I wouldn't suggest letting a 9 year old play with it. Not too bad a substance compared to most of the things in this thread though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Deteriorata posted:

Bits of encouragement are given in attoboys (and attogirls).

:gowron:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

'And then Carter said, "Let's bring metric to the US!" Ahahaha,Ahahaha!' - Ronald Reagan

Reagan is the entire reason that all my thoughts are still in miles per hour and fahrenheit, even though I use metric for everything else.

MrAptronym posted:

I'd like to express my extreme displeasure with hydrologists for using 'acre-feet per year' as a measure of flow rate, along with half a dozen other units. In hydrology class I wasted a huge amount of time doing step by step conversions to meters cubed per second because my professor demanded it. Occasionally gallons per minute came up too, the whole thing was a horrible mess of units.

:hfive: What up dude, I know that feeling of talking about pathetic little streams in cubic feet per second units, without any idea of how to actually quantify what that means.

My only real problem with acre-feet is that its a huge measurement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EoRaptor posted:

I'm guessing this would be a V1 buzz bomb alternative. You could certainly fly a pulse jet engine with coal dust, though it would jam up the mechanism pretty quickly.

Oh, the coal dust engine? I was thinking of the boronated fuels, IIRC those were mostly studied by the USAF in the 50s and the planned applications were of the causing/preventing the end of the world - type.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Phanatic posted:

Why not gasify the coal? Get a head of superheated steam up, run it through the granulated coal, and get CO and H₂ for burning purposes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zemyla posted:

Why not gasify the coal? Get a head of superheated steam up, run it through the granulated coal, and get CO and H₂ for burning purposes.

Now you've got to carry something along on your plane to superheat a bunch of steam and run it through your coal.

The pilots I know would tend to balk about flying something with a bunch of superheated steam piping which other people would be trying to punch lots and lots of .5" holes in. But then, see the Me163.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Zemyla posted:

Sometimes a post makes me forget whether I'm in this thread, or OSHA.jpg.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

In the machining world, we use decimalized inches with .001 in (called a 'thou') being our basic unit. So loving dumb, just use metric goddamn. I get that change was and is scary, but just like with human children, human societies eventually need to grow the gently caress up.

My favorite part is .0001 being called "a tenth"

For you non machinists it usually comes up when talking about tolerances as in "this hole is held plus or minus two tenths" meaning +/- .0002 inches.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
In college I worked with a laser with femtosecond long pulses. We'd talk about the pulse using microns as that was the length of the chunk of light.

Did some weird things with power as that's J/s.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

Sometimes a post makes me forget whether I'm in this thread, or OSHA.jpg.
They were talking about Ignition! so I invited them to join us here. Plenty of overlap.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Keiya posted:

One homestuck ago.

Let's start measuring velocities in smoots per homestuck, it's not totally useless at all!

Wolfram Alpha says that the speed of growth of human hair is about .7 smoots per Homestuck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's a useful unit, because now we know how far down his body smoot's beard would get if he stopped shaving for homestuck

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

honda whisperer posted:

My favorite part is .0001 being called "a tenth"

For you non machinists it usually comes up when talking about tolerances as in "this hole is held plus or minus two tenths" meaning +/- .0002 inches.

Which is completely against what people are taught in school. gently caress getting looked at like a moron when you say your tolerance is .01 so you say a tenth and people think .0001. rear end backwards stupid but it's a result of hands on learning in a machine shop and no real schooling so much of everything is passed down.

Side note do we have a machine or factory thread on the forums? I work on edms which are pretty cool and not many people know. I use electricity to cut metal into cool shapes and cut carbide :science:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Side note do we have a machine or factory thread on the forums? I work on edms which are pretty cool and not many people know. I use electricity to cut metal into cool shapes and cut carbide :science:

There is a metalworking thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

There's even another edm goon who posts, so it comes up from time to time.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

gently caress getting looked at like a moron when you say your tolerance is .01 so you say a tenth and people think .0001.

Isn't that a hundredth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syd Midnight posted:

Isn't that a hundredth?

No, you see, “tenth” = ten thou.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Which is completely against what people are taught in school. gently caress getting looked at like a moron when you say your tolerance is .01 so you say a tenth and people think .0001. rear end backwards stupid but it's a result of hands on learning in a machine shop and no real schooling so much of everything is passed down.

The base unit is a thou, you're talking about a tenth of a thou, not a tenth of an inch. Right?

Keiya has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 11, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

Some asshats are posting this around the internet:

Reminds me of the old 4chan post about making crystals with ammonia and bleach.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is that mixture going to do? Explode horribly and maim the person?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

axeil posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is that mixture going to do? Explode horribly and maim the person?

Produce chlorine gas.

e: But yes it will also produce enough pressure to pope the bottle. I’d still be more concerned about the chlorine than the shrapnel.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 14:24 on May 11, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

axeil posted:

Not so much maim as poison.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep. It forms chlorine gas. Like any gas generator in a sealed container, it will increase in pressure until it bursts into a shrapnel-filled cloud of nastiness.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Keiya posted:

The base unit is a thou, you're talking about a tenth of a thou, not a tenth of an inch. Right?

I think the confusion is tenth of a thou vs ten thou.

I've heard both used, even more fun with mixed units:
Little brother had the crank reground on his old triumph, measured in decimal inches, ground in thousandths of a mm.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Platystemon posted:

Produce chlorine gas.

e: But yes it will also produce enough pressure to pope the bottle. I’d still be more concerned about the chlorine than the shrapnel.

I don't understand how TCCA and isopropyl alcohol generate chlorine gas. It should oxidize the IPA to acetone, generating HCl and heat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EoRaptor posted:

I'm guessing this would be a V1 buzz bomb alternative.

Nah. It was gonna be used as a fuel additive type of thing in supersonic jet aircraft. They'd use regular fuel for takeoff/landing/cruising, then switch over to special boron-enhanced fuel for extra performance in combat. It didn't work because when the boronated fuel was actually burned it created byproducts with a hellishly high melting point that immediately and irreversibly hosed up the engine.

After the armed forces gave up on trying to make boron into an aircraft fuel they let the rocketmen have a go at it. The results were slightly better but still discouraging, and John Clark wrote a whole chapter about them in Ignition. The long and short of it is that boron just does not work as a propellant outside of one or two very niche places (there's a variety of Diborane that could probably be used in deep space).

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 15:08 on May 11, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cakefool posted:

I think the confusion is tenth of a thou vs ten thou.

Yeah, the entire exchange about this illustrates exactly why and how the thou/tenth poo poo is confusing. Another favorite of mine is the micrometer, a precision measuring tool not to be confused with the American-spelled micrometer, a unit of measurement which would be in use in the American machining world if we ever broke down and cooperated with everyone else.

For sort-of content, Wolfram Alpha advises me that one thou(sandth of an inch) is 2,540 beard-seconds.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

If you want insane ramjet/cruise missile propulsion, it's hard to beat Pluto/SLAM.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

The tiny ones like micro, nano, pico, and femto are useful in various scientific fields.

In metabolomics & lipidomics Mass Spec we're nearing measures of pg/ml depending on the molecule's ionization efficiency and the ability of equipment. For instance I'm having to develop a quantitative method covering 5 vitamin D2 & D3 compounds from human serum. While 4 of the analytes are in relatively easy to measure ng/ml amounts the active, and most important, analyte is at 5 - 60 pg/ml making the analysis quite difficult. There tons of other biologically relevant metabolites that have extremely short half-lives due to their importance within biological systems and often they're tightly regulated as in the case of 1,25-dihydorxy Vitamin D3.

The newer generation of QToF mass specs like the 6600 QToF, SYNAPT G2-Si, and the microTOF focus II all are pushing the limits of lower detection limit and high sensitivity these days. A co-worker of mine does a lot of lipid profiling and qualitative protein work on an instrument similar to the 6600 and it is stupid mass accurate with low amounts of background. The newer triple quad instruments(QqQs), such as the 6500 Qtrap +, paired with a good LC system can technically get to the fg/ml levels of measure.

Since I've bored you guys with mass spec talk a bit let me regale you with a story my 70 year old boss relayed to me. Back in the day he was a GC/MS researcher before he became an LC/MS guy. Always looking for new tech he took up an invitation to the CDC to observe their new Fast Atom Bombardment ionization system for their mass spec. They chummed around drinking coffee for a bit while checking out the machine in operation. To give you an idea the oldest instrument that resembles what he describes is a system that would likely look something like this. Well the boss decides to take a stroll around the instrument to give it a look down. While circling the instrument he stopped at the rear of the instrument to comment on a particular difference between it and another he'd seen when he was interrupted by the host investigator proclaiming, 'I wouldn't stand there if I were you!' To which he quickly shuffled, coffee in hand, out of the way and made an about face to see a wall that had a perfect indention of the back of the instrument. At one point in time they had been using hydrogen, not sure if by choice, necessity, or negligence, as a collision gas and it had ignited one day to send the instrument flying back against the wall. He claimed to be impressed with the instrumentation ability but not so much by the complicated nature of it's problem areas.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 01:49 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't understand how TCCA and isopropyl alcohol generate chlorine gas. It should oxidize the IPA to acetone, generating HCl and heat.

HCls great if you're all congested up.