Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Space-Bird posted:

So, and I apologize if I missed this... but have we figured out the thing that All Might didn't tell Deku when he first explained the origin of One for All?
That he's obviously going to die and he knows it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Grouchio posted:

Oh. Wow. for some reason I didn't put that very obvious thing together. That's kind of what I love about All Might as a character... I think a lot of writers spend a lot of time trying to subvert heroic paragons to the point that a dude like All Might is a breath of fresh air.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Space-Bird posted:

Oh. Wow. for some reason I didn't put that very obvious thing together. That's kind of what I love about All Might as a character... I think a lot of writers spend a lot of time trying to subvert heroic paragons to the point that a dude like All Might is a breath of fresh air.

I mean he basically says as much (to us):

This is right after Deku says something like, "So long as you're with me, I can do anything!"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I like how when designing All Might all the higher ups told him that they didn't like his design and that no one would like him, and now he's popular enough to get his own spin off

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grouchio posted:

Specifically that passing on the power causes the old user to die.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is still vaguely possible that he would survive, albeit without his quirk. But Deku's belief that he can ever stand beside All Might is complete fantasy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I like how when designing All Might all the higher ups told him that they didn't like his design and that no one would like him, and now he's popular enough to get his own spin off

Horikoshi is Deku irl

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think i'm ok with Kirishima's role as the only person Bakugo likes enough to let himself get rescued by.

Also, the implication that if Deku was the one in Kirishima's position Bakugou wouldn't even go with him out of pride or something. Bakugou, the type of guy who would let himself get captured by villains and continue to give All Might a disadvantage rather than accept help from this kid he used to be friends with, or apparently anyone else as well. Way to be kid, way to be.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I really think that's why he works so well as a character. He defies expectation by being the thing he actually is. which is really neat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RatHat posted:

Specifically that passing on the power causes the old user to die.

I don't think that necessarily always happens, but I can see it being the case that All Might is so hosed by his injuries that One for All is the only thing keeping him alive.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't think that necessarily always happens, but I can see it being the case that All Might is so hosed by his injuries that One for All is the only thing keeping him alive.

I don't want to think giving away OFA kills you because uh that'd be sorta hosed up that he didn't tell Midoriya that particular catch before giving it to him.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm a bit unsure about how long this AfO - OfA feud has been going on. Are't there like 4 or 5 previous holders of One for All? Yet All for One seems to be chiefly concerned with All Might. Is All for One just really old?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think we were specifically told that All for One stole a longevity Quirk because he's definitely the same dude. And he's mostly concerned with All Might because All Might is the one who smashed his head like an overripe pumpkin and the previous holders are all dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A41 has never mentioned 14a. He might not even know about it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HellCopter posted:

I'm a bit unsure about how long this AfO - OfA feud has been going on. Are't there like 4 or 5 previous holders of One for All? Yet All for One seems to be chiefly concerned with All Might. Is All for One just really old?
It has been ~5-6 generations since quirks first appeared; by most standards that means it's been like 120-150ish years since quirks first appeared.

All For One and One For All are from the first generation- All Might specifically says All For One has likely taken some anti-aging/neigh-immortality quirk. There have been I think 8 previous holders of One For All- so if you do the math most of the holders don't live very long.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really hope that All for One doesn't die here. The way he just casually combines quirks, or multiples of a single quirk to reinforce it, is scary as hell. He's capable of drat near anything and he knows it. Sure, you can give that to Shigaraki, but it's not going to be quite the same coming from him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rhonne posted:

This chapter is great. I hope they actually escape with Bakugou and he doesn't just get captured again.

Also really looking forward to that All Might spinoff. I hope it's about his rise to fame.

Yeah I'd be disappointed if things fall apart. They really need a win right now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think we should all take a moment and imagine a version of MHA where All Might is a stereotypically Japanese-cool-looking dude with long bangs.

This comic really dodged a bullet there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I don't want to think giving away OFA kills you because uh that'd be sorta hosed up that he didn't tell Midoriya that particular catch before giving it to him.

I'm prepared to believe he's just slowly dying anyway - he's clearly been badly hosed up (like, missing several major organs), and OFA seems like the sort of thing that'd worsen your health in the long-term rather than better it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really hope that All for One doesn't die here. The way he just casually combines quirks, or multiples of a single quirk to reinforce it, is scary as hell. He's capable of drat near anything and he knows it. Sure, you can give that to Shigaraki, but it's not going to be quite the same coming from him.

Baku sees him as "the hero who never loses" so seeing All Might lose could be the catalyst to knock him over into Villainy.

It's interesting that All for One and Deku both have this weird quirk calculus (both of them assessing and analyzing quirks and how to exploit them) they got going on..which makes Deku the perfect candidate to crack AFO.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think i'm ok with Kirishima's role as the only person Bakugo likes enough to let himself get rescued by.

Also, the implication that if Deku was the one in Kirishima's position Bakugou wouldn't even go with him out of pride or something. Bakugou, the type of guy who would let himself get captured by villains and continue to give All Might a disadvantage rather than accept help from this kid he used to be friends with, or apparently anyone else as well. Way to be kid, way to be.

The way I took that scene was that anybody else in the rescue group and there would be a second hesitation before Bakugo acted as with everybody else in the group there is some complications. With Kirishima there is no such issue because for the first time in a while Bakugou has somebody who he considers a friend and not a lackey or Deku.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think it's possible that AfO throws the fight here and ends up sidelined for the foreseeable future. Thinking of it from Shigaraki's point of view it has the feel of a dark Heroes Journey kind of moment, what with the mentor sacrificing himself for his protege. This whole thing might be a lesson to teach Shigaraki to be more independent while still instilling reverence.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
God I love 14a. He's a menacing as hell guy that you'd want to sit back and have a beer with. Probably talking about raising kids and teaching, he clearly takes it quite seriously.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LostRook posted:

I think it's possible that AfO throws the fight here and ends up sidelined for the foreseeable future. Thinking of it from Shigaraki's point of view it has the feel of a dark Heroes Journey kind of moment, what with the mentor sacrificing himself for his protege. This whole thing might be a lesson to teach Shigaraki to be more independent while still instilling reverence.

My guess is that AfO is going to transfer his consciousness and steal Shigaraki's body. The reason he hasn't done it already is that he can't bring all of his stolen Quirks with him when he jumps since they're tied to his original body, he needs to give them to the new host body before he leaves. He can't just stuff all of his Quirks into some dupe because the strain will kill them, so he's training Shigaraki up to where he can handle them all.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is a good manga.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

My guess is that AfO is going to transfer his consciousness and steal Shigaraki's body. The reason he hasn't done it already is that he can't bring all of his stolen Quirks with him when he jumps since they're tied to his original body, he needs to give them to the new host body before he leaves. He can't just stuff all of his Quirks into some dupe because the strain will kill them, so he's training Shigaraki up to where he can handle them all.

If that was his plan he wouldn't be trying to get Shigaraki to be more confident and free-thinking. He's pretty clearly trying to raise a successor. If he did find a quirk that let him body swap I'm sure he'd do it, but that's clearly not his plan here.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Genocyber posted:

If that was his plan he wouldn't be trying to get Shigaraki to be more confident and free-thinking. He's pretty clearly trying to raise a successor. If he did find a quirk that let him body swap I'm sure he'd do it, but that's clearly not his plan here.

No, that's exactly why he's trying to get Shigaraki to be more driven and focused. You need a strong mind and a strong will to possess so many quirks, and Shiggy is still just a man-baby at this point.

There is a zero percent chance that a guy named All For One who lives entirely to steal from others is actually training up a successor from the goodness of his heart.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vengarr posted:

But that would make him Orochimaru, and he doesn't act like Orochimaru, especially when it comes to his protege. AfO wouldn't care about Shigaraki's development or what quirks suited him if he was just gonna steal his body.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Weird quirk physics: If All For One can take and give quirks freely, can it give itself away?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

No, that's exactly why he's trying to get Shigaraki to be more driven and focused. You need a strong mind and a strong will to possess so many quirks, and Shiggy is still just a man-baby at this point.

There is a zero percent chance that a guy named All For One who lives entirely to steal from others is actually training up a successor from the goodness of his heart.

If that was all that was needed he could just find some rando with a strong mind and will and juke their body. All the effort he's going through with Shigaraki only makes sense if he's training him as a successor, he's been shown to be quite affable which suggests he does not secretly have sinister intentions, and it serves as a great mirror for Allmight and Deku.

And as I said, it wouldn't be from the goodness of his heart, it would be because his body is hosed and he needs a successor to continue his work. If he could do it himself I'm sure he would, but he can't (like the failed search for a regeneration quirk that would heal his wounds) and so he turns to making a successor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Space-Bird posted:

Baku sees him as "the hero who never loses" so seeing All Might lose could be the catalyst to knock him over into Villainy.

It's interesting that All for One and Deku both have this weird quirk calculus (both of them assessing and analyzing quirks and how to exploit them) they got going on..which makes Deku the perfect candidate to crack AFO.

I'm not seeing how this would necessarily knock him into Villainy instead of just make him want to avenge All Might with excessive force

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

I think we should all take a moment and imagine a version of MHA where All Might is a stereotypically Japanese-cool-looking dude with long bangs.

This comic really dodged a bullet there.

Like seriously, his whole character personality just wouldn't work without him looking so over the top as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vengarr posted:

If he dies without doing anything, that would mean he lost to All Might. It is due to spite, not the goodness of his heart.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
This chapter was absolutely amazing, I am loving All For One being so calm and logical throughout this whole fight. The way he was apparently combining quirks and analyzing the results on the fly was great, and an obvious parallel to Deku's mental process. He comes across as a much better mentor than All Might is, other than the whole being evil thing.

Bakugou and Kirishima's bromance paying off at the end was great too.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

Weird quirk physics: If All For One can take and give quirks freely, can it give itself away?

Shigaraki is going to be AFO's Deku?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if he can't give away a41 itself, he can still grant Shigaraki a bunch of complementary quirks to make him much more powerful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Shigaraki is going to be AFO's Deku?

That's what I'm betting. I also think that AFO will outlive All Might, because Shiggy just isn't there yet as a main villain. The institution of superheroism needs to take way bigger hits than it has yet in order to level the playing field (or, more accurately, put Deku and his pals at an appropriately dramatic, exciting disadvantage), and at the moment, All for One is the only man to do it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

Even if he can't give away a41 itself, he can still grant Shigaraki a bunch of complementary quirks to make him much more powerful.

Careful! You don't want Shiggy going all Noumu on you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Careful! You don't want Shiggy going all Noumu on you.

Dude has been experimenting in that field for at least 100 years. I figure he has it under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reading this chapter All for One is the one who sounds like the Heroic teacher that's going to sacrifice himself so his pupil can escape.