Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Thanks pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mcustic posted:

pls abandon anime and come post with us in tbb, ty

Perhaps you should join anime and become even more powerful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GorfZaplen posted:

Perhaps you should join anime and become even more powerful.

real honest truth I sometimes cannot tell if I am responding to a new poster or not because half of these anime avatars look the same to me

EDIT: I went back and looked and I guess its all the same character?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 18, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

real honest truth I sometimes cannot tell if I am responding to a new poster or not because half of these anime avatars look the same to me

EDIT: I went back and looked and I guess its all the same character?

Someone spent nearly a thousand dollars on avs of a single character for almost every poster on the subforum.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's Lum from Urusei Yatsura, a long-running surreal comedy manga/anime from Rumiko Takahashi. I don't know why someone bought everyone Lum avatars, but she's a good character from a good show and it's worth checking out.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Recommend me the Evangelion of literature

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

portnoys complaint

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's probably ulysses

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I don't know what that means.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VALIS by Philip K. Dick

quote:

When a beam of pink light begins giving a schizophrenic man named Horselover Fat (who just might also be known as Philip K. Dick) visions of an alternate Earth where the Roman Empire still reigns, he must decide whether he is crazy, or whether a godlike entity is showing him the true nature of the world.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

How do you feel about books in which the last man and woman on earth gently caress each other until their bodies come together as a single perfect hermphradotic godchild

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

VALIS by Philip K. Dick

I was thinking about this or the next book in the loose trilogy, The Divine Invasion, which is less of a novel inspired by early gnosticism so much as an honest to god gnostic text written completely in earnest.

Also, I'm always torn as to whether I recommend people dig into the Exegesis before or after reading VALIS. I somehow read it first and I feel like that changed the experience in weird ways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VALIS looks completely bonkers and I've never read anything by the author before, so I've ordered it from my local library. Thanks for the recs!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do you feel about books in which the last man and woman on earth gently caress each other until their bodies come together as a single perfect hermphradotic godchild

The Final Programme is a good book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

VALIS looks completely bonkers and I've never read anything by the author before, so I've ordered it from my local library. Thanks for the recs!

You haven't read him, but you've probably seen movies based on his stuff.

Total Recall, Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, and most recently the netflix series The Man in the High Castle were all based on his books.

quote:

On February 20, 1974, while recovering from the effects of sodium pentothal administered for the extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth, Dick received a home delivery of Darvon from a young woman. When he opened the door, he was struck by the beauty of the dark-haired girl and was especially drawn to her golden necklace. He asked her about its curious fish-shaped design. "This is a sign used by the early Christians," she said, and then left. Dick called the symbol the "vesicle pisces". This name seems to have been based on his conflation of two related symbols, the Christian ichthys symbol (two intersecting arcs delineating a fish in profile) which the woman was wearing, and the vesica piscis.[23]

Dick recounted that as the sun glinted off the gold pendant, the reflection caused the generation of a "pink beam" of light that mesmerized him. He came to believe the beam imparted wisdom and clairvoyance, and also believed it to be intelligent. On one occasion, Dick was startled by a separate recurrence of the pink beam. It imparted the information to him that his infant son was ill. The Dicks rushed the child to the hospital, where his suspicion was confirmed by professional diagnosis.[24]

After the woman's departure, Dick began experiencing strange hallucinations. Although initially attributing them to side effects from medication, he considered this explanation implausible after weeks of continued hallucinations. "I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane," Dick told Charles Platt.[25]

Throughout February and March 1974, Dick experienced a series of hallucinations, which he referred to as "2-3-74", shorthand for February–March 1974. Aside from the "pink beam", Dick described the initial hallucinations as geometric patterns, and, occasionally, brief pictures of Jesus and ancient Rome. As the hallucinations increased in length and frequency, Dick claimed he began to live two parallel lives, one as himself, "Philip K. Dick", and one as "Thomas", a Christian persecuted by Romans in the first century AD. He referred to the "transcendentally rational mind" as "Zebra", "God" and "VALIS". Dick wrote about the experiences, first in the semi-autobiographical novel Radio Free Albemuth and then in VALIS, The Divine Invasion and the unfinished The Owl in Daylight (the VALIS trilogy).

At one point Dick felt that he had been taken over by the spirit of the prophet Elijah. He believed that an episode in his novel Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said was a detailed retelling of a biblical story from the Book of Acts, which he had never read.[26] Dick documented and discussed his experiences and faith in a private journal he called his "exegesis", portions of which were later published as The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick.

VALIS is sortof the deep end of his weird. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is more accessible if you want to start in the shallow end; it's the novel Blade Runner was based on.

tuyop posted:

I don't know what that means.

I watched an episode of it once. There were robot suits, also cryptic references to Gnosticism.

anilEhilated posted:

Book Barn's opinion on him is somewhat conflicted but I love Borges's short stories.

Give me the names of these heretics who don't like Borges

The Collected Fictions is basically the best thing anyone can read

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 19, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

UBIK is my favorite PKD. It's a book that manages to rewrite its entire premise about once a chapter, not only the plot stuff but also the philosophical and theological underpinnings of the story, and this continues up until the closing lines on the last page.

It somehow manages to do this without ever contradicting itself.

It ties into Dick's personal religious stuff too, where there a God and a very powerful energy look alike and there's no such thing as truly verifiable anyway, and salvation is opposed to entropy rather than sin.

Mover fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 19, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The Final Programme is a good book

No the other one with the last man and woman on earth loving themselves into a hermaphroditic godchild

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You haven't read him, but you've probably seen movies based on his stuff.

Total Recall, Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, and most recently the netflix series The Man in the High Castle were all based on his books.

VALIS is sortof the deep end of his weird. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is more accessible if you want to start in the shallow end; it's the novel Blade Runner was based on.

I actually haven't seen any of those! :sweatdrop: I've been meaning to watch Blade Runner for ages and ages because I loved Neuromancer so much, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Fortunately it's on netflix now, so I have no excuse aside from my own laziness.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I actually haven't seen any of those! :sweatdrop: I've been meaning to watch Blade Runner for ages and ages because I loved Neuromancer so much, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Fortunately it's on netflix now, so I have no excuse aside from my own laziness.

My favorite troll argument: "Blade Runner is Harrison Ford's best movie."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is that really a troll argument

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah that seems pretty much true

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah that seems pretty much true

hence its power

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but airforce one is up there

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this thread made me want to buy books so i bought cocaine nights by ballard, waiting for the barbians by coetzee and the cold war by john lewis. also the second volume of nichijou, which everyone should read

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Parallax posted:

this thread made me want to buy books so i bought cocaine nights by ballard, waiting for the barbians by coetzee and the cold war by john lewis. also the second volume of nichijou, which everyone should read

I don't get this at all.

And yeah, what else is up for best Harrison Ford movie? Star Wars? Is a children's movie ever an actor's best movie? And Indiana Jones is a cartoon so...

The Fugitive and K-19 are fine, I guess.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tuyop posted:

I don't get this at all.

The first two girls have happy "million dollar" smiles that I am going to protect, whereas the bottom girl has a bad smile that's value is much lower. I hope this explanation combined with the art helps you to "get this"

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Passage at Arms by Glen Cook.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks like it's part of a series, should I start elsewhere or is it more or less standalone?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya evokes some pretty explicit connections between it and entry-level postmodern fiction. non-linearity, metafiction, genre pastiche and parody, repetition, and themes such as alienation, loss of grand narrative, and information-as-virus are all present.
well said

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rotoru posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks like it's part of a series, should I start elsewhere or is it more or less standalone?

It's set in the same universe as Cook's Starfishers Trilogy, but there's no other connection between it and the earlier books that I can remember.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

tuyop posted:

I don't get this at all.

And yeah, what else is up for best Harrison Ford movie? Star Wars? Is a children's movie ever an actor's best movie? And Indiana Jones is a cartoon so...

you're dumb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tuyop posted:

I don't get this at all.

i dont know which part of this post is more autistic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mover posted:

UBIK is my favorite PKD. It's a book that manages to rewrite its entire premise about once a chapter, not only the plot stuff but also the philosophical and theological underpinnings of the story, and this continues up until the closing lines on the last page.

It somehow manages to do this without ever contradicting itself.

It ties into Dick's personal religious stuff too, where there a God and a very powerful energy look alike and there's no such thing as truly verifiable anyway, and salvation is opposed to entropy rather than sin.

Ubik is my fav as well. Definitely a book that, when I finished, I had to sit down and give it a good long think as to what the gently caress went on, and it's PKD so you can't be sure there's even a real coherent answer in there somewhere. Weeks later I'm still pondering over it, it's a fantastic book.

It's also fun because he switches between poignant philosophical ponderings and nutfuck insanity pretty swiftly and unexpectedly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Philip K. Dick really does write like a certain kind of anime plot, a faux kind of depth, at every moment holding on to whatever seems like the coolest thing, and half-baked philosophical themes all coming together into something actually quite fantastic. For some reason my favourites tend to be rather a different selection than most though, my PKD toplist going more along the lines of: Galactic Pot Healer, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

It really is surprisingly easy to imagine an awesome anime treatment of any of those, far easier than to imagine a movie certainly.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Nobody reads PYF it's a forum of user control panel browsers.
What's good Polish literature?

sanitorium under the sign of the hourglass!!! in keeping with the theme of this forum, it's illustrated by the author, like manga. and it's great. major kafka feels.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Gaddis' Agapé Agape is basically a Bernhard cover song.

but this is the post I was looking for, I'm checking this out, hope it's good.

everyone read some thomas bernhard, he's the best angry austrian since you know who

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Blade Runner had his best acting, but American Graffiti is the best movie he's in. :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zas posted:

everyone read some thomas bernhard, he's the best angry austrian since you know who

Who?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Click this link to see Hitler's face literally emerging from a naked woman's torso.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 21, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Lots of really good recommendations here.

I've been on a sort of Autobiographical kick recently. I've enjoyed Langston Hughes' The Big Sea, Ross Mathews' Man Up!, and Rick Lax's Lawyer Boy. What are some other excellent autobiographies people can recommend? I'll probably try VALIS, even if it isn't what I'm really looking for.

Also, as a Manga recommendation, I suggest you guys read Solanin by Inio Asano. It's a standalone story you can read in a few hours, and possibly one of my favorite books, dealing with how we face our mundane lives and what meaning we find in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Julias posted:

Lots of really good recommendations here.

I've been on a sort of Autobiographical kick recently. I've enjoyed Langston Hughes' The Big Sea, Ross Mathews' Man Up!, and Rick Lax's Lawyer Boy. What are some other excellent autobiographies people can recommend? I'll probably try VALIS, even if it isn't what I'm really looking for.

The best one I've read in the last few years. Despite the description, it's not a tearjerker, there's lots of fun and funny bits in there, too.