Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Julias posted:

Lots of really good recommendations here.

I've been on a sort of Autobiographical kick recently. I've enjoyed Langston Hughes' The Big Sea, Ross Mathews' Man Up!, and Rick Lax's Lawyer Boy. What are some other excellent autobiographies people can recommend? I'll probably try VALIS, even if it isn't what I'm really looking for.

it's malcolm x day so i'm going to recommend that you read the autobiography of malcolm x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Julias posted:

I've been on a sort of Autobiographical kick recently. I've enjoyed Langston Hughes' The Big Sea, Ross Mathews' Man Up!, and Rick Lax's Lawyer Boy. What are some other excellent autobiographies people can recommend? I'll probably try VALIS, even if it isn't what I'm really looking for.

Also, as a Manga recommendation, I suggest you guys read Solanin by Inio Asano. It's a standalone story you can read in a few hours, and possibly one of my favorite books, dealing with how we face our mundane lives and what meaning we find in it.

I recommend If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home by Tim O'Brien. Hope you like sadness

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Parallax posted:

this thread made me want to buy books so i bought cocaine nights by ballard, waiting for the barbians by coetzee and the cold war by john lewis. also the second volume of nichijou, which everyone should read

This is pretty funny imho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Julias posted:

Also, as a Manga recommendation, I suggest you guys read Solanin by Inio Asano. It's a standalone story you can read in a few hours, and possibly one of my favorite books, dealing with how we face our mundane lives and what meaning we find in it.

Hrm.

I mostly read biographies rather than autobiographies, but two I'd point out.

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

quote:

West With the Night is a 1942 memoir by Beryl Markham, chronicling her experiences growing up in Kenya (then British East Africa), in the early 1900s, leading to a career as a bush pilot there. It is considered a classic of outdoor literature, and in 2004, National Geographic Adventure ranked it number 8 in a list of 100 best adventure books.[1]

quote:

When Markham decided to take on the Atlantic crossing, no pilot had yet flown non-stop from Europe to New York, and no woman had made the westward flight solo, though several had died trying. Markham hoped to claim both records. On 4 September 1936, she took off from Abingdon, England. After a 20-hour flight, her Vega Gull, The Messenger, suffered fuel starvation due to icing of the fuel tank vents, and she crash-landed at Baleine Cove on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada (her flight was, in all likelihood, almost identical in length to Mollison's). In spite of falling short of her goal, Markham had become the first woman to cross the Atlantic east-to-west solo, and the first person to make it from England to North America non-stop from east to west. She was celebrated as an aviation pioneer.[2]

Ernest Hemingway posted:

]
"she has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But [she] can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers ... it really is a bloody wonderful book."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_with_the_Night

There's a certain amount of controversy over the authorship -- she had a number of famous lovers, (including, reputedly, Antoine de Saint-Exupery) and there were claims from some of them that various of her husbands or lovers ghost-wrote it for her. I've read her other writing though and the style is similar -- sparse, spare, emotional but crystal-cold. My personal belief is that she wrote it herself but probably had editing help from Exupery and others.

There's also a biography of Markham that covers the stuff she left out of her autobiography (scandals, affairs, her career as a professional horse racer).

Iron and Silk by Mark Salzmann

This is the story of a young American who moved to China to teach English and learn Kung Fu. It's just well done autobiography.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need to stop looking at this thread, I've already got too many books to read - my library has West with the Night, and it sounds incredibly neat so I'll check it out. Thank you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need to stop looking at this thread, I've already got too many books to read - my library has West with the Night, and it sounds incredibly neat so I'll check it out. Thank you!

Whenever you need more, please come visit us in Book Barn!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm.

I mostly read biographies rather than autobiographies, but two I'd point out.

West with the Night by Beryl Markham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_with_the_Night

There's a certain amount of controversy over the authorship -- she had a number of famous lovers, (including, reputedly, Antoine de Saint-Exupery) and there were claims from some of them that various of her husbands or lovers ghost-wrote it for her. I've read her other writing though and the style is similar -- sparse, spare, emotional but crystal-cold. My personal belief is that she wrote it herself but probably had editing help from Exupery and others.

There's also a biography of Markham that covers the stuff she left out of her autobiography (scandals, affairs, her career as a professional horse racer).

Iron and Silk by Mark Salzmann

This is the story of a young American who moved to China to teach English and learn Kung Fu. It's just well done autobiography.

I loving hate West With the Night. Markham is in love with her own writing too much. She speaks just to hear herself talk

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Smoking Crow posted:

I loving hate West With the Night. Markham is in love with her own writing too much. She speaks just to hear herself talk

But the part with the elephants!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well gently caress it, lets send this loving things both ways.

I really tend to not like anime at all. Unless its Satoshi Kon. That guy is cool and good.

Anyways, I am trying to be a better person and learn to appreciate different things I didn't like before on their own terms and expand my horizons.

What is some anime/manga an unrepetently pretentious lit snob would like?

Yokohama Shopping Trip is about the android Alpha who runs a cafe in the countryside after the seas have risen and forced mankind to move away from the cities. It treats whatever event caused this and its future technology very minimally and focuses on its characters living their strange but often mundane daily lives. It's mostly a wistful slice of life story but I think it has a lot to say about the beauty of humanity in the face of its passing. It's full of beautiful nature drawing to boot.

Ultra Heaven - A burnout youth living in a pharmaceutical dystopia goes looking for other options when he enters a drought of his favorite drug. What follows is some of the most incredibly psychedelic art and panel draftsmanship in comics. Keiichi Koike reminds me of Kon in the way he distorts images into other images or grabs onto a small tangential part of a scene and uses it to pull you into another. Just on the page instead of onscreen. (though I haven't read Kon's actual comics so maybe I shouldn't make this comparison) The most impressive thing to me about Ultra Heaven is how the psychedelic scene hopping disorients you in a way that pulls you into the druggie head space of the protagonist.

Masaaki Yuasa is probably my favorite working anime director and Mind Game is a short and very good introduction to his style. 20 year old Nishi is a loser but vows to change after a yakuza debt collector shoots him and he returns to life moments before his death. He goes on the run with his childhood crush and her sister but the film quickly abandons this whole premise when Nishi and his friends are swallowed by a giant whale.

The Belladonna of Sadness is a 1973 movie about a medieval peasant named Jeanne who is seduced into becoming a witch by the devil when she and her husband fall on hard times. It was heavily influenced by the imagery surrounding psychedelic rock and has a great rock and jazz fusion soundtrack. Most of it was painted in watercolor and as a result of either time constraints or stylistic choice makes heavy use of still animation. It's uneven in places but when it's good it's GOOD. I'm not too keen on any of the trailers so here's how the movie treats the black plague: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5LAkuXPlnk On the slim chance the 4k restoration is showing in theaters where you live go see it

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 20, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Recommend me lit or nonfiction about soldiers processing war trauma/guilt. Also maybe something happy since I just finished Man Tiger and am now nearing 200 pages into Zone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DisDisDis posted:

Recommend me lit or nonfiction about soldiers processing war trauma/guilt. Also maybe something happy since I just finished Man Tiger and am now nearing 200 pages into Zone.

Billy Lynns Long Halftime Walk
Redeployment
The Yellow Birds

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

a long long way, by sebastian barry

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DisDisDis posted:

Going After Cacciato

Set in the Vietnam war, it involves a soldier that decides to go AWOL to Paris by walking across Asia and being followed by his squad.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Franchescanado posted:

Blade Runner had his best acting, but American Graffiti is the best movie he's in. :colbert:

This is really close to the truth but the answer is actually Apocalypse Now for both (Also LOL "best acting" and Harrison Ford in the same sentence).

Danger fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Ubik is my fav as well. Definitely a book that, when I finished, I had to sit down and give it a good long think as to what the gently caress went on, and it's PKD so you can't be sure there's even a real coherent answer in there somewhere. Weeks later I'm still pondering over it, it's a fantastic book.

It's also fun because he switches between poignant philosophical ponderings and nutfuck insanity pretty swiftly and unexpectedly

Have you ever read GK Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday (1908)? I was thinking recently about how oddly similar the two books are. Both have that same repeated pulling back of layer upon layer of truth going past the mundane in divine revelation.

For anyone who thinks that sounds cool, I'm hesitant to give much plot summary of Thursday, as even as someone who doesn't usually care about spoilers, I think even knowing the end of the first chapter spoils some of fun.

But it's a dreamlike (or nightmarish, maybe), manic, twisty detective story that's also an extended debate on free will and philosophical anarchism, as well as a meditation of the Book of Job the culminates in a man demanding an answer to the problem of evil from the face of God. Unique stuff

Mover fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Danger posted:

This is really close to the truth but the answer is actually Apocalypse Now for both (Also LOL "best acting" and Harrison Ford in the same sentence).

That's the best movie he's in, but it isn't his movie. The best movie he stars in is Blade Runner.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Going After Cacciato

Set in the Vietnam war, it involves a soldier that decides to go AWOL to Paris by walking across Asia and being followed by his squad.

Also, The Things They Carried

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

That's the best movie he's in, but it isn't his movie. The best movie he stars in is Blade Runner.

The post was about the best movie he was in and Rutger Hauer is the start of Blade Runner.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
x-post from asl book thread

"Hello! I'm interested in translation and would like to do it better. Does anyone know about something like an standard textbook on translation basics? I'm a native spanish speaker, with english as a second language. I have a good reading comprention(sic) of english. So if you know any material useful for translating better between these two, particularly on the topic of poetry, i would be grateful."

I've been looking after posting that, and i have found some things, but i'm still looking for something specifically about poetry. If you don't know about such a thing, books for learning about the english language poetic elements (rhythm, meter and such things) would be cool too.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Long weekend coming up means I wanna have at a book. Recommend me something along the lines of Lady Vengeance. I happen to quite enjoy that movie and would be more than happy to devour a similar sort of book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Recommend me some good books with lesbian main characters, caveat: must be relatively happy and not everything is depressing all the time because gay.
I've read Annie On My Mind and all of Sarah Waters stuff.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the price of salt, by patricia highsmith

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Recommend me some good books with lesbian main characters, caveat: must be relatively happy and not everything is depressing all the time because gay.

I don't know if this works exactly, but Virginia Woolf used the main character in Orlando to approach the idea of same sex relationships in the late 1920s by having a main character who starts of male but begins to switch back and forth between male and female. Whole novel has been called a love letter to Vita Sackville-West, a contemporary novelist and poet who she had an extended affair with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

The Junior Officer's Reading Club fits the bill at times, though I think it's mostly comedy.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Long weekend coming up means I wanna have at a book. Recommend me something along the lines of Lady Vengeance. I happen to quite enjoy that movie and would be more than happy to devour a similar sort of book.

The count of monte cristo also involves someone plotting revenge after prison

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

The Count is ruthless. I love him. Have also read this a couple times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

There's a really great biography of Dumas's father titled The Black Count
Arturo Perez -reverte's Club Dumas is worth looking up also

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

There's a really great biography of Dumas's father titled The Black Count
Arturo Perez -reverte's Club Dumas is worth looking up also

These both intrigue me. I shall check them out and see what comes of it.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The Count is ruthless. I love him. Have also read this a couple times.

The Stars My Destination is very readable early sci-fi that takes after Monte Cristo., if anything with an even more messed up protagonist. Incredible ending, as well.

There's also an interesting novel by French crime writer Jean Patrick Manchette called Fatale, which isn't a revenge story but does have a mysterious woman show up in a kind of decadent, bourgeois town and just brutally loving poo poo up after turning the town against itself.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

How about depressing for reasons entirely independent of lesbianism

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks but I have to stay away from depressing stuff entirely

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks but I have to stay away from depressing stuff entirely

Maybe try Alison Bechdel's graphic novels? They are not exactly perky and fun but they are also not "woe, thy name is lesbian"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mover posted:

The Stars My Destination is very readable early sci-fi that takes after Monte Cristo., if anything with an even more messed up protagonist. Incredible ending, as well.

There's also an interesting novel by French crime writer Jean Patrick Manchette called Fatale, which isn't a revenge story but does have a mysterious woman show up in a kind of decadent, bourgeois town and just brutally loving poo poo up after turning the town against itself.

Alright you have my attention. That should be a good set of books for my weekend. Much thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mover posted:

Stars My Destination is an absolute classic I should've thought of yeah. It was explicitly, deliberately modelled on Count of Monte Cristo but that's just the inspiration -- it's not by any means a clone or copy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was pretty meh about it, it's definitely a time capsule but I'm glad I read it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Weird double post redirect: which hard sci fi book is best? I found it hard to suspend my disbelief during the spaceship scenes in The Dark Forest, for instance.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 21, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ratner's Star.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

Weird double post redirect: which hard sci fi book is best? I found it hard to suspend my disbelief during the spaceship scenes in The Dark Forest, for instance.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora is entirely believable. It's about a generational starship in the near future. Great characters and very emotional. Can't think of anything better.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mover posted:

Have you ever read GK Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday (1908)? I was thinking recently about how oddly similar the two books are. Both have that same repeated pulling back of layer upon layer of truth going past the mundane in divine revelation.

For anyone who thinks that sounds cool, I'm hesitant to give much plot summary of Thursday, as even as someone who doesn't usually care about spoilers, I think even knowing the end of the first chapter spoils some of fun.

But it's a dreamlike (or nightmarish, maybe), manic, twisty detective story that's also an extended debate on free will and philosophical anarchism, as well as a meditation of the Book of Job the culminates in a man demanding an answer to the problem of evil from the face of God. Unique stuff

I shall add it to the increasingly nightmarish list of books that will, at this point, take me years to tackle!

THANKS, RECOMMENDATION THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tuyop posted:

Trick question, the answer is The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume 1 edited by Robert Silverberg, which is a collection of the best short stories before the establishment of the Hugo Awards, as voted by the SFWA. Essentially the best of the best golden-age sci fi.