Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He could be bi. His entire plot with Bucky in the new movie would only make better sense if they were in love. Embrace it. And then me.

Yeah, a lot of people read this version of Cap as bi. Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

Not sure where to post this, but an announcer for the Washington Nationals baseball team got heckled on Twitter by some random douche https://twitter.com/FightinHydrant/status/735250308411084800

Er, not-so-random douche

Will he get fired or promoted?

Got deleted. What did he say?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Cap's Avengers 2 scene where he gives Bruce Banner dating advice for Black Widow (who MYSTERIOUSLY stopped being his love interest at some point off screen...) is also a very typical Hollywood gay guy scene, where the man who has transcended pussy madness gives a nugget of wisdom to the hapless guy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, a lot of people read this version of Cap as bi. Why not?

I'm gay but gay or bi lead characters are still nowhere near being accepted in blockbuster Hollywood action movies. We're not even at the point where a straight woman has filled that role, and Blade is the only non-white male movie superhero movie I can even think of aside from like Hancock and dreck comedy poo poo like Pluto Nash or Steel.

Superhero blockbuster poo poo is so carefully planned for maximum revenue that we're just now getting actual women and black people in upcoming films. Gay or bi superhero film would still alienate a huge amount of terrible people that go to see those movies. I would love to see it happen but good loving luck in the forseable future

Edit: loving filter some of us are actually gay >: (

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm gay but gay or bi lead characters are still nowhere near being accepted in blockbuster Hollywood action movies. We're not even at the point where a straight woman has filled that role, and Blade is the only non-white male movie superhero movie I can even think of aside from like Hancock and dreck comedy poo poo like Pluto Nash or Steel.

Superhero blockbuster poo poo is so carefully planned for maximum revenue that we're just now getting actual women and black people in upcoming films. Gay or bi superhero film would still alienate a huge amount of terrible people that go to see those movies. I would love to see it happen but good loving luck in the forseable future

Do it like this!

'I'm gay'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

To be fair, I think Jurgan meant "why not" to reading Cap as bi, not "why not" to him being presented as explicitly bi. Both are/would be good, but like you say the latter's not likely.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Do it like this!

'I'm gay'

It's probably not a great sign that my phone has learned to correct it to the none apostrophe version also

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cap comes off as hella gay in the movies. Sure, he presented as straight in the loving '40s, so what? Lots of people, especially in the public eye, did.

Plus it's a good chance to keep working the Hercules gay as opposed to the femme gay. Gay men are MEN doing manly things together. Not some recreation of heteronormative relationships.

To paraphrase the Hero talking to Jason, "What are you loving faggots doing here staying on this island loving women?!?! We should be out there exploring, gaining glory, and loving men like real men!"

I'm (a loving moron) geek for classics like ya'll are geeks for comics so I don't expect people to geek out over the Argonautica (the most awkward and fanboyish phase of epic poetry) but come on. Cap is totally the American Heracles and we all know it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why should we make Cap a bi Hercules when Marvel already has one? I mean if people can make it work in the script and it makes conservatives like Walsh poo poo their pants fearing that they'll somehow be infected by the gay through association fine, but we don't need to make him Herc when Marvel already has one that's open to its own movieverse changes. Hell that can be his boyfriend, A bi Cap with a bi Herc. Double your homosexual heroes and conservative rage with one stroke - or several hopefully from people such as Matt.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 25, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shbobdb posted:

Cap comes off as hella gay in the movies. Sure, he presented as straight in the loving '40s, so what? Lots of people, especially in the public eye, did.

Plus it's a good chance to keep working the Hercules gay as opposed to the femme gay. Gay men are MEN doing manly things together. Not some recreation of heteronormative relationships.

To paraphrase the Hero talking to Jason, "What are you loving faggots doing here staying on this island loving women?!?! We should be out there exploring, gaining glory, and loving men like real men!"

I'm (a loving moron) geek for classics like ya'll are geeks for comics so I don't expect people to geek out over the Argonautica (the most awkward and fanboyish phase of epic poetry) but come on. Cap is totally the American Heracles and we all know it.

Civil War was a better love triangle movie than Twilight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hercules isn't bi though. Dude is 110% homo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh is a soldier

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/735153422782107648

Christians, we are at war. Maybe it’s time we accept that fact.

It’s not fun to think about, I realize, but war is not supposed to be fun. Especially not this kind of war. A war where the casualties are lost in the fires of Hell. A war where the enemy plots to rip your soul out of your chest and drag it into the darkness forever. A war that cannot be escaped. A war that conscripts every human on the planet into combat, on one side or the other, whether they like it or not. A war that we must train our children to fight. A war that could claim their souls, too, if we do not train them well. A war that will not be over until the end of the world. A war that God will ultimately win, but many human beings – maybe even including you, personally, and me – will lose if we die fighting for the wrong side.

"You guys are all dumb children. Be back soon, gotta go stat a war against the forces of hell with the other deluded egomaniacs trapped in Bronze Age dogma."

You know, I generally feel pretty good nowadays about most of the silly music I listened to as a teenager. Except Manowar. It's just so corny and naked in its praise for epic conflict and permanent victory that it makes me uncomfortable to even see the CDs on my shelf. Walsh, Vox Day and plenty of other alt-right figures pretty much sipped from that exaggerated fake non-philosophy and decided "Hey, that sounds like something to BUILD MY ENTIRE ADULT MINDSET AROUND".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

"You guys are all dumb children. Be back soon, gotta go stat a war against the forces of hell with the other deluded egomaniacs trapped in Bronze Age dogma."

You know, I generally feel pretty good nowadays about most of the silly music I listened to as a teenager. Except Manowar. It's just so corny and naked in its praise for epic conflict and permanent victory that it makes me uncomfortable to even see the CDs on my shelf. Walsh, Vox Day and plenty of other alt-right figures pretty much sipped from that exaggerated fake non-philosophy and decided "Hey, that sounds like something to BUILD MY ENTIRE ADULT MINDSET AROUND".

Hey Manowar is awesome! I mean yes its completely homoerotic and you would never ever want to share the cd covers with friends but how can you not like something as great as Thor: the Powerhead?

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

Is his name really Vox Day? Like he couldn't even go with Vox Dei but just decided to smash the latin Vox with english Day as in ... you know, loving DAY, and called it a day?

VOX

Day sucks

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ManlyGrunting posted:

SPEAKING OF CROWDER BEING A DUMB oval office!

I like the reasoning that the Confederate Flag is totally a Democrat thing guys, really. Does anyone remember Crowder's reaction to it being taken down?

The doublethink is incredible: on one hand they defend the Confederate flag as free speech and something that totally doesn't have anything to do with racism....

... until they need to accuse the Democrats of trying to hide their racist past by passing laws removing the flag.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Why should we make Cap a bi Hercules when Marvel already has one? I mean if people can make it work in the script and it makes conservatives like Walsh poo poo their pants fearing that they'll somehow be infected by the gay through association fine, but we don't need to make him Herc when Marvel already has one that's open to its own movieverse changes. Hell that can be his boyfriend, A bi Cap with a bi Herc. Double your homosexual heroes and conservative rage with one stroke - or several hopefully from people such as Matt.

Didn't Hercules rape like four people though?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ZDar Fan posted:

VOX

Day sucks

I like how him nominating Chuck Tingle for a Hugo has backfired because Tingle is going to get Zoe Quinn to accept the award for the reclusive family man Tingle.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Where did the whole "Self Identify" thing come from, anyway? I don't think I've heard anyone actually use that term to describe their gender identity situation.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

You can tell the movement is struggling when this is what they think is a hot burn on the opposition.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does Target even do employee discounts?

Also, expand your horizons people! Why self-identify as a Target employee when you could do the same but as a billionaire and get yourself free food and cars and poo poo because no one minds charging the rich for some reason?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shbobdb posted:

Hercules isn't bi though. Dude is 110% homo.

He was married to a woman (and brainwashed into murdering her). Is that not Marvel 616 canon?

Idran posted:

To be fair, I think Jurgan meant "why not" to reading Cap as bi, not "why not" to him being presented as explicitly bi. Both are/would be good, but like you say the latter's not likely.

Yeah, basically I just meant "I don't have strong opinions on the issue, but if other people read him as bi that's cool." His relationship with Peggy seemed sincere to me, which makes me think he had at least some heterosexual urges, but it could be he was still coming into his own identity.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Why are the good ones always gay? I don't know why every chick I know prefers Iron Man anyway, because he's a loving jerk. And so is Robert Downey Jr. But fine, fine. I'm all for greater diversity represented in lead roles.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

Didn't Hercules rape like four people though?

Which one? DC also has a Hercules and he sure as poo poo isn't a nice man when it comes to the Amazons, like pretty much most of the Greek and mythical pantheon as far as Wonder Woman is concerned. I don't remember the Marvel one doing much outside of being a gigantic hairy ham.

I cannot appreciate enough how much the right flips its pro-business anything script as soon as its free market doesn't enforce their ideology with big business money.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Does Target even do employee discounts?

Not sure on entry level jobs, but corporate positions do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jurgan posted:

He was married to a woman (and brainwashed into murdering her). Is that not Marvel 616 canon?

Yeah, basically I just meant "I don't have strong opinions on the issue, but if other people read him as bi that's cool." His relationship with Peggy seemed sincere to me, which makes me think he had at least some heterosexual urges, but it could be he was still coming into his own identity.

What does marriage and producing heirs have to do with love?

The fact that Hercules keeps on "accidentally" killing all the women he is honor and tradition bound to marry should tell you something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Marvel one. I didn't know anything about him either so if I'm just thinking about actual Greek history that's a big oops on my part.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Reading the sample was more than enough to get me to shell out 3 bucks for this. Worth every single one of those 299 pennies.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Keeshhound posted:

Where did the whole "Self Identify" thing come from, anyway? I don't think I've heard anyone actually use that term to describe their gender identity situation.

Nobody on that side of the argument has the faintest understanding of gender dysphoria. This is the same crowd that insists you choose to be gay.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

IIRC correctly, there were two groups. The sad puppies grumbled and the rapid puppies yelled

One is led by somebody named "Vox Day", guess which

Interestingly enough, Vox Day actually worked on the game "The War In Heaven". You know, the one by Valu-Soft, that Lowtax reviewed ages ago.

Vulpes Vvardenfell fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 25, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I love how the right wing spontaneously cares about Captain America and other comic books

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't Walsh just get done writing about how comic books and movies based on them are for babies and losers?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I love how the right wing spontaneously cares about Captain America and other comic books

The culture war must be fought on every front, cuckbrother.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The alt right has a new ally in fight against transgender bathrooms.

quote:

Anti-transgender fliers claiming to be from a chapter of the Ku Klux Klan were distributed in at least one Dothan neighborhood.

“It is a free speech issue. There is no threat put in there, no call to arms. It looks like they are asking for donations and putting out a political agenda instead of a hate-based one,” Dothan Police Capt. Will Benny said.

“We are kind of monitoring the situation right now,” he said, adding the fliers were forwarded to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The flier from the Loyal White Knights of the KKK called being transgender “an abomination, according to the King James Bible.”

The flier quotes Deuteronomy 22:5: “A woman shall not wear that pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment. For all that do are an abomination unto the Lord thy God.”

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/05/ku_klux_klan_distributes_anti-.html

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hmm yes the KKK making demands of a minority group that it calls sub-human has no sort of implicit threat of violence if those aren't met good police work there Lou.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The flier quotes Deuteronomy 22:5: “A woman shall not wear that pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment. For all that do are an abomination unto the Lord thy God.”

But I thought one of the mainstays of lovely conservative comedy is how funny a man looks in a dress

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The alt right has a new ally in fight against transgender bathrooms.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/05/ku_klux_klan_distributes_anti-.html

So yeah, they're dropping all pretense and just flat out joining the most notorious hate group in the country.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm getting the feeling we're about five years out from a congressman openly admitting he or she thinks the KKK got a raw deal and we need to consider stopping all this hate speak against them.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Seeing how upset some people are getting about the very concept of Captain America having a boyfriend, I think a lot of them are just assuming this is the standard "PC bullshit" that's coming out of nowhere. Not only do they miss the possible subtext in the movies themselves, they have no idea just how much gay fanfiction and fanart there is out there, and how eagerly it's consumed by a whole lot of people.

One of the (admittedly, many) reasons why the Marvel movies have been such a success is because it appeals to the shipper demographic. It's not too highly visible, outside of some "did you know that some people are drawing your character kissing this other character?!" segments in late night talk shows, but it's a bigger group of people than one would expect.

I just want to sit Crowder down in front of archiveofourown and watch him desperately try to reconcile it all. Not only do a lot of people, mostly women, on the internet think a big tough manly American icon might be gay, they've been doing it for years before the movies even came out.

Speaking of Crowder, even though the vast majority of people using his dumb hashtag are mocking him through it, he's still so giddy about it trending that he doesn't care. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Seeing how upset some people are getting about the very concept of Captain America having a boyfriend, I think a lot of them are just assuming this is the standard "PC bullshit" that's coming out of nowhere. Not only do they miss the possible subtext in the movies themselves, they have no idea just how much gay fanfiction and fanart there is out there, and how eagerly it's consumed by a whole lot of people.

One of the (admittedly, many) reasons why the Marvel movies have been such a success is because it appeals to the shipper demographic. It's not too highly visible, outside of some "did you know that some people are drawing your character kissing this other character?!" segments in late night talk shows, but it's a bigger group of people than one would expect.

I just want to sit Crowder down in front of archiveofourown and watch him desperately try to reconcile it all. Not only do a lot of people, mostly women, on the internet think a big tough manly American icon might be gay, they've been doing it for years before the movies even came out.

Speaking of Crowder, even though the vast majority of people using his dumb hashtag are mocking him through it, he's still so giddy about it trending that he doesn't care. gently caress that guy.

weirdos jerking it to captain america banging bucky are not a significant part of the avengers success.

also to the guy looking at hercules as a gay dude, his 13th labor was banging 50 women in one night, enthusiastically so. he is the prototypical bi dude. he did not murder his wives cause he only wanted the d.