Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

kcroy posted:

if you had 10 year long winters, no food, and loving grendel outside your gates.. why wouldn't you just move to loving Dorne already.

Because the stupid as poo poo Sand Snakes live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

if you had 10 year long winters, no food, and loving grendel outside your gates.. why wouldn't you just move to loving Dorne already.

Because Dorne is boring. Everywhere is boring. Would be best to just move to the Summer Islands.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll be surprised if this season doesn't end with the wall crumbling.

That is my bet as well

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Isn't Yi Ti is important in the world because thats where Azor Ahai came from? Or does everyone just have the same legend that they transpose onto their culture? Far Essos seems a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else we've seen in the books.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MG3 posted:

Yeah but tittyboobs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

The peasants can't move cross country and the nobles wouldn't leave because they'd go from having power and comfort to being nobodies.

Though the Starks have geothermal and greenhouses in Winterfell at least and apparently keep the living areas (sorta) heated thanks to the former.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TK-42-1 posted:

Isn't Yi Ti is important in the world because thats where Azor Ahai came from? Or does everyone just have the same legend that they transpose onto their culture? Far Essos seems a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else we've seen in the books.

Far Essos only seems interesting because we haven't been there. The moment GRRM starts writing about it (lol), I bet it'll be as boring as poo poo. It's the mystique and the unknown that's interesting. Once we know no one will care about Asshai by the sea or whatever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah and then we still gotta see southeros and ultrafarawaysteros, the latter actually just being the far north of westeros because the world is a mobius strip.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

MG3 posted:

And that's where the bad pussy is. :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM Earth is the size of a postage stamp if you relate real time events to character travel.

If Gilly's baby was born in, say, march, then the show is now at July.

Dany conquered Essos, lost it, and is coming back.

Arya's entire journey from lost child to assassin happened in less than a college semester.

Sansa was married, divorced, assumed a new identity, remarried, gone into witness protection, and is raising an army.

Tyrion won a war, served a king, and traveled the world.

Jon traveled to the ends of the earth, got some fire pussy, changed his whole world view, fought a war, became a leader, died, came back, and reunited with his rear end in a top hat sister to plan a war.

Fat Walda traveled half way across a continent to get pregnant by a psycho butcher, carried to term, and was eaten alive by the dogs of the psycho butcher's son.

All while Gilly's dumb baby aged about 3 months.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

GRRM Earth is the size of a postage stamp if you relate real time events to character travel.

Arya's entire journey from lost child to assassin happened in less than a college semester.

Sansa was married, divorced, assumed a new identity, remarried, gone into witness protection, and is raising an army.

Jon traveled to the ends of the earth, got some fire pussy, changed his whole world view, fought a war, became a leader, died, came back, and reunited with his rear end in a top hat sister to plan a war.

Fat Walda traveled half way across a continent to get pregnant by a psycho butcher, carried to term, and was eaten alive by the dogs of the psycho butcher's son.

I don't think that's a GRRM problem I think it's a D&D problem?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Freys are really fertile though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There are, of course, logical production reasons for wanting to avoid working with toddlers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MG3 posted:

I don't think that's a GRRM problem I think it's a D&D problem?

But a lot of this happened in the books, too.

I remember some nerd broke down the passage of time between some character's name days.

Still not as bad as The Walking Dead where it's been about 3 months since the outbreak but the child characters have grown beards and are 2 feet taller.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

because what this series needs is more descriptions of new places. I seriously couldn't tell you 10 things about Essos. or where any of that poo poo takes place on a blank map. I've been powering through those sections for years, even on re-reads - I just can't seem to give a poo poo.

I mean I agree that interesting poo poo is probably gone down in asshat, and I'd like to know more about the doom and all that - but I just want this nightmare to end. Can't he do like normal authors and save some poo poo for the next "trilogy"? I don't really want to know where the Others come from, or that the old gods are just some faggy elves. Anymore than I wanted to know what made Anakin break into Vader.

also dorne=drone

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This season doesn't have enough Natalie Dorner and that's a big problem imo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah and then we still gotta see southeros and ultrafarawaysteros, the latter actually just being the far north of westeros because the world is a mobius strip.

The world of Ice and Fire is actually the map from Final Fantasy 2. Crossing the river wall by the starting town of Winterfell results in you running in to end game enemies.

Don't forget the thousand ships that the Ironborn are going to build and sail to Mereen by the end of the season.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget the thousand ships that the Ironborn are going to build and sail to Mereen by the end of the episode.

I fixed your typo for you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

if the ironborn had any adventurous spirit at all they'd have made a big rope, tied it to land, and figured out wtf is going on with their ocean that makes poo poo disappear.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Possibly Chicken posted:

This season doesn't have enough Natalie Dorner and that's a big problem imo.

She looks like an insect

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

She looks like an insect

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

That's it! But with that little weird thing she does where her mouth for some reason tries to leave her face.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Um, no, Nat is definitely a bunny not an insect. It is known.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cavelcade posted:

Um, no, Nat is definitely a bunny not an insect. It is known.

Those are the exact opposite of her facial proportions, you face blind furry goonlord.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

face blind furry goonlord.

Coincidentally the newest entry in the DSM.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Those are the exact opposite of her facial proportions, you face blind furry goonlord.

Are you saying the internet has lied to me?

Who am I to trust? You're all Littlefinger, dammit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Absurd Revolver posted:

I figured out the third twist guys.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Endorse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2016/05/26/in-game-of-thrones-its-time-to-start-rooting-for-the-white-walkers/

Make Westeros great again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, this is what a modern nerd's take on "A Modest Proposal" looks like.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm about halfway through The Game of Thrones 2: The Clash of Kings. So now there's this chick who keeps cockteasing her brother

Is this a thing? Does every book in the The Game of Thrones series introduce a new incestuous brother sister couple?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

boom boom boom posted:

I'm about halfway through The Game of Thrones 2: The Clash of Kings. So now there's this chick who keeps cockteasing her brother

Is this a thing? Does every book in the The Game of Thrones series introduce a new incestuous brother sister couple?

GRRM has 2 sisters and everything he's ever written has sister loving.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cersei/Jaime
Dany/Viserys
Theon/Asha
That's probably the last one until Arya fucks Jon in book 7.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Don't forget about when Tyrion fucks Danaerys in TWoW

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The emperors of Yi-ti are referred to as the Yellow Emperors?

It's an incredibly tone deaf nerd reference to The King In Yellow.

And A Clash Of Kinks is out there, waiting, waiting someday for someone of the night to come and take it away...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

This might just be me, but it seems like every civilization outside Westeros, Dothraki, and maybe Braavos is crafted to seem as alien (and maybe hostile) as possible. poo poo like selling babies to Unsullied to get stabbed, eating fetal puppies in an orange glaze, or the sacrificial prince of Pentos.

If this weird feeling is deliberate I think it's to show the readers how bizarre and offputting other cultures might've seemed to medieval Europeans. Or maybe it's just me. Or maybe GRRM's just having fun.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

MrSlam posted:

This might just be me, but it seems like every civilization outside Westeros, Dothraki, and maybe Braavos is crafted to seem as alien (and maybe hostile) as possible. poo poo like selling babies to Unsullied to get stabbed, eating fetal puppies in an orange glaze, or the sacrificial prince of Pentos.

If this weird feeling is deliberate I think it's to show the readers how bizarre and offputting other cultures might've seemed to medieval Europeans. Or maybe it's just me. Or maybe GRRM's just having fun.

What's weird about the political system in Volantis? There are several examples of ancient cultures (Rome, Athens) who functioned a lot like that.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm calling it now, Varys grew up in a village called Innsmouth.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

What's weird about the political system in Volantis? There are several examples of ancient cultures (Rome, Athens) who functioned a lot like that.

It's been a while since I read the book and I remembered it being confusing at the time. It's not. It's a republic. I edited the post. I got brain problems.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
500 pages into The Clash of Kings.

lol the entire Barratheon family is such fucktards

i was hoping that Joffrey would turn into a good king. I thought that'd be a neat twist, if the incest-born bastard that everybody hates grew up into a good guy. They made such a big deal about how much Robb had changed around the same time Tyrion got sent to be The Hand, and Robb and Joffrey were about the same age so I thought they were setting up a similar change for Joffrey, but I guess not. oh well.

Brienne, Arya, and Asha need to team up to form The Tomboy Alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish fake africa had played a big role in thes tory instead of lovely fake asia.