Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A: Plan Kvelar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

paradoxGentleman posted:

Remember, they are brutish, uncivilized beasts, and pack hunters at that. I'll bet that they won't stick around to fight should one or two of their numbers fall.

Its specifically mentioned that they know no fear so we will have to Channel Johnny Rico and kill them all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They're stupid and only want food. We can run away, wait a few hours and then come back in the morning an they'll probably be gone. Total time lost: a few hours, and we don't have to waste time acquiring new poo poo.

Edit, voting to run away with the horses and come back in a few hours to pick up our poo poo.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 22, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what to vote yet but would hate to not vote at all so...

Comedy option. Try to talk to them.

Please no one else vote for this. It's more like a placeholder than an actual vote.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Attack of the Salmonsters

You shake the last slumber from your eyes and go to shake it from your friends as well, adrenaline working to stifle a yawn, trying to remember everything you can about Salmonsters before it is too late.
You bang your axe against your shield and throw an open wineskin filled with water on Khami whom responds with undignified flailing. "waargh??" "Salmonsters!!" "hnrgh!"

Kelvar loosens his fist arrow into the night, hitting what sounds like a nearby tree in the dark. Far behind you by the riverside you hear the splashes of more of the evil creatures breaking the surface.

You go to Abigail whilst Khami goes to join your cousin, but she is already up, staring about her wildly, looking for her quarterstaff. Her cast finally melted off the other day, and she has been itching for a fight.
Looks like she got her wish.

Mission objective satisfied, you turn to join your companions, with only gleams of reflected torchlight betraying the presence of the menace in the dark.

---

[ITEC Battlefield Summary]

The rock is impassable terrain whilst the trees constrict movement and block ranged attacks.
Fighting in the dark is difficult, but you have your torch and camp fire to rely on for light. You could easily light another one should you so desire.
Kvelars hand-crossbow has a range of 6 tiles, although he will have trouble hitting anything in the dark. Khamis chains have [01 reach], meaning he can attack an enemy one tile further away than [melée].
Every other weapon at hand has a range of [meleé].

---

1: The Salmonsters are slow but numerous. You like your odds of taking one of them in a fight even without backup, but several might prove a problem. You are fairly sure the monsters won't employ any advanced stratagems.
They will advance, take anything living and try to drag it back to the river. If whatever they want to take resists they will fight to the death of either themselves or their victim. They will not flee from fear.
The monsters are attracted to sound and scent, with blood being an especially potent trigger, one which causes them to berzerk. They probably aren't poisonous but they have extremely sharp, needle like teeth and long claws for swiping.

How do you want ITEC to fight?

A: Close Together
Staying close to Kvelar, with Khami at your back to provide over shoulder support.
With the three of you together you will make short work of any one Salmonster getting within reach, but you will move slower and will be more unflexible to a changing battlefield.
You also aren't sure what to do about Abigail since you figure she isn't very likely to stay in formation and keeping an eye on her in this situation might prove difficult.

B: Charge!
Every person for themselves. Try to thin out their number before they surround you. A much more flexible formation, but if you or your allies fail to take your chosen targets out quickly you might run into trouble.

C: Groups of Two
Team up with [Insert Ally Here]. You feel much more confident with someone at your side.

---

2: How do you wish to fight?

D: Defensively
Take no undue risks. Take it slow, fall back if you need too. Minimize damage to yourself.

E: Defensively with an Objective
You suspect the monsters are here for your horses. You suspect Abigail will just run into the fight regardless of what you tell her. You have only one lightsource and don't fancy fighting in the dark. Fight with one of these concerns in mind, but which?

F: Aggressively
Do everything it takes to end your foe as swiftly as possible.

---

You are unhurt. You are somewhat rested. Your armour has been pierced by claw and javelin and requires basic maintenance. [You feel weird.][You feel pressed for time.] You fight with Axe and Shield.
Kvelar: Is unhurt. He is tired. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a hand-crossbow as well.
Khami: Is unhurt. Fights with iron chains. His armour requires only minute maintenance.
Abigail: Is unhurt. Her armour requires light maintenance. Fights with a quarterstaff and audacious tenacity.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
AE. Grab torces, lit them up and toss them in a circle around your grouped team in back to back defensive position. Attack anything that charge into the light while shooting those eyeballs in the dark.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
"Abigail protect the horses or we're stuck walking!"

AE Remaneuver so that the fishmen have to pass through the firelight to get to us, making as much noise and bloodshed as possible to draw as many of them as possible away from Abigail, who probably can't make as much noise and won't be as bloody. I don't think they're smart enough to flank us.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Attack of the Salmonsters

1: The Salmonsters are slow but numerous. You like your odds of taking one of them in a fight even without backup, but several might prove a problem. You are fairly sure the monsters won't employ any advanced stratagems.
They will advance, take anything living and try to drag it back to the river. If whatever they want to take resists they will fight to the death of either themselves or their victim. They will not flee from fear.
The monsters are attracted to sound and scent, with blood being an especially potent trigger, one which causes them to berzerk. They probably aren't poisonous but they have extremely sharp, needle like teeth and long claws for swiping.

If we're lucky the blood triggers their feeding frenzy and we can get them to clump together and attack each other like sharks do.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Light torches, throw 2 of them along column eight if it won't start a fire.

C, Abigail with me!

E, keep Abigail close to ourselves as we move towards 8G to protect the horses.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

What if we just run for the horses and gallop away. We can come back in the morning for our stuff?

I realize this was an earlier option but I'm curious if these monsters will wreck our camp if there's no living creatures there.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

They clearly are civilized creature who won't wrack our camp like a wild bear.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
CE

Us with Abigail to protect the horses (lure in Abigail with the promise that that's where the most of the salmonsters are likely to be headed), Khami and Kvelar make sure there's light and then come help us once done.

Lets us get more light sources, protect the horses, AND keep an eye on Abigail.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

hollylolly posted:

What if we just run for the horses and gallop away. We can come back in the morning for our stuff?

I realize this was an earlier option but I'm curious if these monsters will wreck our camp if there's no living creatures there.

And miss out on the exp. these easy swarm enemies give? We just need to be careful not to berzek them. Should be fine as long as we don't bleed! :v:

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
There's good eating on those Salmonsters if you don't mind the indirect cannibalism where they eat people and we eat them... :getin:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fighting with the Fishes

With beady eyes and sharp, needle-like teeth the horde of Salmonsters advance on your group as you try to organize yourselves in the darkness. You grab a large stick from the fire, to use as a make-shift-torch before you get to the real ones in your pack by the horses.
It doesn't light up your environment half as well but at least you wont be fighting blind. You call for Abigail to stick with you, to come down to the horses where you believe most of the fighting will take place. She nods excitedly, leaning slightly on her quarterstaff for support.

The fight begins in earnest when Khami wraps his chain around the out-stretched claw of the Salmonster leading the charge; a flick of the wrist causing it's brittle fish-bones to break and the hand to sail of in an arc.
Black-green ichor drips from the stump and the creature begins to howl, but the sound is cut off at axepoint by Kvelar. The beast falls, leaking offal into the grass.
To your dismay, the creatures keep coming and you swear you can hear more of them slowly surfacing.

You reach the horses just as another monster gets in range of Kvelars axe and Khamis chain and before they can react it is upon your cousin; tearing at his armour with dagger-like talons.
Thankfully Khamis ferocious chain-whipping catches it in the head and you hear a loud crack followed by the thud of the Salmonster dropping dead at Kvelars feet.
He grunts with approval. They seem to have each others backs.

Abigail jump-skips past you to protect the horses, hoping to bag herself a monster in the dark.
All she manages to do however is trip on a log, presenting herself as a ready made meal for the beast in front of her. You run up to defend her, locking your axe against drooling mandibles heroically!
You pull its attention from the girl but find yourself firmly locked in battle, neither you nor your opponent gaining the upper edge.

Abigail stumbles as she tries to get up, trying at once to both get away from the jaws of death and to sock death in the face for daring to have a go at her.
The gentle waves part once more to release the latest batch of gross fishfolk upon your beach party and Kvelar steels himself, back to the fire, as four more appear out of the gloom, converging on his position.
He fires his hand-crossbow at the closest one as soon as he sees the glint of fire from its scaly hide, the bolt piercing straight through it's sternum and out the other side in a sprat of saltwater, trailing ichor.
Even in the midst of fighting you can hear the sharp hiss of the Salmonster rapidly land-drowning, it's innards filling with the crisp night-time air like it was some sort of perverse reverse-balloon.
Suddenly another Salmonster joins the one fighting you, but with your Shield and Khamis lightning reflexes and long iron chain you manage to stem the tide, for now.

But the tide comes back in force; Everywhere you look you see another Salmonster coming at you or your friends with lethal intent, gnashing their teeth and swiping at everything that moves.
Three of them jump at Kvelar and he is forced to dodge down to where you are to consolidate your lines; but the monsters still manage to get a few swipes in, claws striking his shield and armour as he performs his tactical withdrawal.

With two giant fish-freaks almost in your face, it's all you can do to keep yourself and Abigail safe; with the constant clawing you have no hope of pressing the attack. Abigail, ever risk-taking, does however!
She comes up with a surprise swing from your right, catching the lower Salmonster in the chest and breaking something inside of it. It wheezes at the world at large, obviously severely hurt but still fighting all the same.
Khami does his best to keep the rest of the monsters at bay, but with so many targets and his Designated Tank being forced to take a few steps back there is too much going on for it to be very effective.
Your cousin looks to you quickly, as if to ask your opinion, before throwing his shield up again to block another horrible claw.

1: They just keep coming! What are you going to do!?

A: Fight Offensively
They seem to go down easily enough, and they havn't actually hurt any of you that bad yet. If you can't press an advantage, create one. Go all out and hope to take them down before they take you out.

B: Fight Even More Defensively
It seems fate has clumped you together. So be it; form the worlds smallest shield-wall with Kvelar and let the Salmonsters break upon your fortress of steel.

C: Kite Them
You can't help but notice the Salmonsters are much slower on land than you are. Kvelar has a hand-crossbow, Khami has his chains and there are bound to be a bunch of rocks and sticks laying all over the place. Call for ITEC to disengage and attack them from afar instead.

D: Call the retreat!
There is too many of them! They are bound to get a good hit in eventually. What will happen if they manage to draw blood? Abandon your horses and flee the field.

Party Thoughts:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

C

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C, trying to protect the horses.

We sure could use a professional soldier right now, if only we gad mentioned adventure and riches instead of "god"...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B

Take them down as the opportunities present themselves, we're not in a hurry enough to need to take risks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C, kite them through/around the fire. Throw our bag of mysterious boom powder on the fire.

They have numbers, we have range, manoeuvrability and intelligence. Guerrilla tactics are and obvious choice.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Powder to the People

Outrail posted:

C, kite them through/around the fire. Throw our bag of mysterious boom powder on the fire.

They have numbers, we have range, manoeuvrability and intelligence. Guerrilla tactics are and obvious choice.

I am assuming you mean the "[01] Bag of red and grey ??? dust" ?

You are travelling light, having left most of the loot behind with the rest of your team, the ones that are to stay in Braav whilst you head on over to Harst.
However, it isn't infeasible that you brought a sample or two with you for whatever purpose. You'd have to find it in your pack by the horses, but I'll allow it!

You also have [03] Green flasks probably full of highly pressurized acid that you may or may not have brought along with you. They would be small enough that they shouldn't slow you down any, so they may be there as well.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Do this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

Give this a shot

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I doubt Abigail is in the kiting mood, her bloodlust is up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yes the dust. Dust them! Powder to the people fishmen!

For what it's worth you can assume I'll always vote to take along any explosive and hazardous objects/substances.

This would be a perfect opportunity for FOOF.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Just a reminder that we have no way to estimate how big the explosion will be. Remember that time we used the POOF?

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 28, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Make Abigail do the throwing, if her cooperation is in doubt.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mr. Nemo posted:

Just a remainder that we have nk way to estimate how big the explosion will be. Remember that time we used the POOF?

Yep, it was immensely loving awesome and achieved all objectives.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Looting

Randompaui in IRC posted:

Can we sell the fish peoples corpses in the game?

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: That depends entirely on how you go about it. Monster-flesh isn't in huge demand except when especially prepared for some demanding gourmand or when its extra-mundane properties can be used for Science or Alchemy. The same goes for all the other bits of your average monster. If any part of them should prove to be somehow better than common materials (like say, Kobold scale-leather being more flexible than cow-leather for the same quality protection) you can expect those parts to be sought after somewhere within the Empire. Perhaps most of all by those such as yourselves. When the relevant know-how exists within the party, those with the appropriate skills will (probably) pipe up about it in Party Thoughts or other dialogue if it doesn't just pop up in the official post-battle vote.

Your party isn't omniscient however and they might have motives of their own. If you notice something they haven't, feel free to ask about it or put it into a write-in when appropriate and ITEC will take whatever steps needed to follow your instructions if at all possible.

Harvesting Monsters Parts for Fun and Profit can bring you the edge you need to survive otherwise lethal encounters, and is a great way to minimize the costs of adventuring.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Just a reminder that we have no way to estimate how big the explosion will be. Remember that time we used the POOF?

There where several strange compounds you found in the mine, but perhaps the strangest of all where the lines of red and gray powder that lined the oilslicks. A devious koboldian trap no doubt, but what where they for?
You don't know enough about mining to know for sure. You have a large bag full of the powder, mixed and ready to go, but you also took the liberty of filling a small pouch with it. Perhaps to take to the Gnomish Alchemist back in Braav, or for your own nefarious purposes? It is this pouch you are looking to use.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1: They just keep coming! What are you going to do!?

B: Fight Even More Defensively
It seems fate has clumped you together. So be it; form the worlds smallest shield-wall with Kvelar and let the Salmonsters break upon your fortress of steel.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Mr. Guffsons bad day

The last thing he could remember clearly was checking on the traps in the forest, before a large shadow overtook his own and talons gripped firmly into his flimsy flesh.

They say your entire life flashes before your eyes before you die, and its true in a way - but contrary to the more romantic stories it moves at a scale of 1:1 and thus takes exactly one lifetime to complete.
You view it as you live, it ends when you die and it contains the sum total of all you ever knew.

But Mr. Guffsons death was different. Something went wrong. As he died he had visions, of other Guffsons in other times. From places he had never been, people he had never seen.
He hadn't gone much further than the nearest town in his entire life, yet there clear as day he saw himself a palace guard in the capital city of Rim itself. As a ruffian in some foreign port, conspiring with a roughish duck. A farmer growing strange crops in the dessert.
The images kept coming, faster and faster. Hundreds of Guffsons, hobbits all, all of their lives ending in the inevitable death. All finding themselves here at this point of notime where hethey slowly gained histheir senses. Where all of him forever opened histheir eyes.

"I'm sorry." said an impeccably dressed Census Angel, reaching out with a helpful hand. "But we are going to have to put you in jael."

"No! No, you haven't done anything wrong. Well, not per say... Anyway it is not my job to judge you. That would be someone else. Besides, it would take far too long." The angel looked around the noplace, as if expecting more people to arrive at any moment.
"Hm? What's that? You want to know what is going on? Well, its highly irregular, but I suppose, what with the circumstances... Oh, what could it hurt?"

The Angels pulls his wings closer reflexively, as if to hide behind them in apparent shame, but stops short, correcting himself and once more giving the deceased halfling his full attention.

"You are dead. Mr.. " Here the angel looked down at his clipboard which was simultaneously no larger than a folded newspaper and a library greater than any in existence. "Mr. Guffson."
"In fact you have died six hundred thousand times in the last three hundred Imperial years." He taps the clipboard three times in rapid succession, a nervous tick. "Fun fact, that's a bit more than five times a day. Heh.

A look of concern spread across his face.

"Uh. Oh, I'm sorry. This must be very distressing for you." A sigh. "There was an incident a few centuries back, you understand. Big scuffle, a bit of Deicide. I'm sure you heard about it. If nothing else; you lived through it. I'm sure you can fill yourself in on the details if you must.
And ever since then... well, lets just say I've had a long day at work. We all have, to be quiet honest. Can't fault the team for trying though, but we simply don't have access to the domains we used to.”
He looks sad.
“So we had to do a bit of a rush-job you see. Cut a few corners. Recycle.. Uhm. Recycle what we had left.”

Three more taps. More memories flooded Mr. Guffson. Of the times he met himself, unawares. His new neighbour moving into the house across the street; of moving into a new house, meeting the new neighbours. Shaking his own hand.
Tall tales of distant relations that somehow sounded intimately familiar. Confusing other peoples relatives with his own. Flukes of intuition and deja-vu, of the times he remembered things he had never even forgotten. Things he had never even done.

“But we are running out of anywhen to put you, Mr. Guffson. And you are starting to remember.” He sighed. “So, for the sake of causality, I'm afraid we are going to have to ask you to 'sit this one out'.”

He shuffled his wings like someone would shuffle their feet, waiting polite-patiently but not actually-patiently for Mr. Guffson to respond.

“It’ll just be a few decades, until we sort things out. I'm sure you'll be fine. Sorry.”

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C. If we have a green flask, use it on the monster cluster from a safe distance. If not, Plan Outrail. The powder should also work but it might spook the horses.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

"But we are going to have to put you in jael."
:golfclap:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Jael, ugh, he's the worst.

Throw it back in the back room and ignore it forever leave for someone else to fix at a later undefined date depending on workload and staff competencies. The system works!

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 29, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ichthysing for More

“Kvelar! Khami! Cause a distraction! Lead them to the fire! If you keep up they won't catch you! Abigail! Get the powder, throw it on the fire! GO GO!” You yell above the din of battle, urging your team to get into action,
but the raking of claws upon shields overpowers your message and you are pretty certain neither the chain wielding warrior nor Kvelar heard you at all. Abigail has a wicked look in her eyes though and storms off. Well, one out of three ain't bad!
You'll keep trying to grab their attention, but the fishpeople have made sure your schedule is fully booked for the next few moments.

The monster whom was so recently clobbered by Abigail starts to give chase, leaving room for another fish to take its place in the conga-line of trying to kill you. All whilst three more all leap at the chance to remove your cousins throat from his neck.
A vicious axe-swing denies them this basic Salmonster right however, and another of the beasts falls before Kvelars might. The familiar iron chains fly past you once again, catching a fish in the mouth and spraying the ground with teeth and bile.
It continues to claw at you nevertheless.

“KVELAR!” you yell, backing into your cousin even whilst felling the fish chasing after your duck-friend and the horses she is heading towards. “Withdraw! They are slower than us! Use your bow!!”
This seems to get his attention as he attempts to disengage his own pursuers, throwing themselves violently onto where he stood just moments ago like whales beaching with murderous intent.

The Salmonsters you where fighting keep at it, clawing and biting whatever is in front of them almost mindlessly, not even really caring whether or not you are there to be eviscerated.
Abigail yells “Found it!” in her usual overenthusiastic tone from somewhere behind you and you instinctively duck. Uh. Dodge. Khamis chain fails to hit its target this time.

You regroup as the horde continues its marsh unrelenting, thankful for the briefest of moments of respite. Khami tries to keep them at bay long enough for Abigail to make her throw and manages to brain one of the northern-most monsters in the process. It promptly collapses into a heap.
Kvelar adjusts his gear to re-equip his hand-crossbow and you ready your shield for come what may. You tense up as you hear Abigails grunt of effort and bring your shield up to cover your eyes.

[to be continued]

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So, Mr. Guffsons' soul has actually been used for a significant part of the population for the last few centuries? Interesting.

I hope Abigail's aim is true, and that Kvelar has his shield up.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Slime of Life - The Common Torch

Perhaps the most ubiquitous of all adventuring gear, the noble torch has seen many improvements since its humble origins as a stick what was on fire. But none of them where as dramatic as the discovery and subsequent subjugation of the Red Slime.

Often called living or liquid fire, the red slime gets its name from its bright, red to orange hue wich closely mimics the lava flows around the active volcanoes near which it flourishes.

As far as the Slimegeneers Guild has been able to acertain, a slime is primarily composed of two parts: the membrane and the goop.
Wheras the goop is mostly similar across the wide variety of slimes, consisting of a nonnewtonian protoneural liquid that can harden to resist blows or soften to flow around obstacles,
alternating between the two to produce rudimentary movement, the properties found within the membrane vary considerably between the different subsets.

The membrane of the Red Slime is somehow both flammable and extremely heat resistant, resulting in a slow, smokeless burn which during the normal of the lifespan of the slime would be perpetuated ad infinitum, as the slime consumed nutrients and geothermic energy from the surrounding area.
Richly applied to a hefty wooden (or more recently specially prepared calcified slime-) stick however, the same effect can be extended to the goals of civilisation: granting non-toxic and clear lighting to one and all.

But innovation hasn't stopped here; all sorts of further modifications have been made possible via alchemical science, perhaps most notable that of the Ultra-Bright brand.
Ultra-Bright Torches are created from a special blend of metalline powders which normally burn too intense and hot to contain, but within the safety of a Red Slime Membrane produce a pleasant if incredibly pervasive glow.
Ultra-Brights are employed all over the Empire, especially in underground areas such as mines and mountainhomes where continual access to daylight might otherwise be hard to obtain.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:allears:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress yeah 'metalline powders' .

Glass casing of presurize acid inside a Glass casing of FOOF surrounded by 'metalline powders' and padding inside a metal canister with a timed spring loaded piston.

Now we just need a few gnomes for development and testing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:allears:

Where's the big boom!?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Where's the big boom!?

A small but heavy pouch flies through the air and all eyes are upon it, defying all the common sense rules of combat. The throw is meek but it doesn't matter. The target is big enough and there is no one willing to intercept.

It lands in the crackling fire, sending twigs and ash flying all around, the thin leather separating its cargo from the outside world rupturing at impact.
You hold firm, expecting perhaps an explosion like that of the gnomecrafted FOOF which so handily defeated the owlbear matriarch. Yet no explosion comes and the Salmonsters creep ever closer.
You take a careful step back and hold your shield high, hoping Kvelar has the sense to do the same and that Khami and Abigail take cover or withdraw in some other way.

A heat unlike any you have ever felt fills the air, causing even your sweat to sweat. Your shield begins to glow slightly as you continue to hide behind it and all your senses lose their way, giving in to the one all pervasive feeling that This Is Warm.

The grass immediately around the campfire evaporates and for a moment you could swear it was day, before time catches up with you again and the all oppressing darkness descends once more.
Your night vision is ruined and you suspect the vision of any creature in a within line of sight of the event is equally inconvenienced. Unfortunately for you the Salmonsters don't really seem to rely on sight for their combat prowess.

Fortunately for you they do rely on being alive. For something made almost entirely out of saltwater and spite the sudden intense temperature spike is enough to boil them from the inside out,
something the two salmonsters nearest the campfire experience judging by the frankly wonderful smell coming of off their forcibly dried out carcasses.

Your horses take this opportunity to bolt. They where asleep and secured with rope tied to stakes, but that was mostly so they wouldn't wander off.
They trail the stakes like flails behind them, leaving you with your equipment strewn about the battlefield in piles and with three still quiet concious salmonsters to deal with.

The campfire, usually so friendly and warm, is now uncomfortable to look at. Whatever used to be there is now a white-hot glow.

You think you can make out two shapes coming towards you, so you swing your shield to counter but something grabs your other arm before you can bring the axe to bear.
You hear yelling but are too busy to do anything about it.

Two fishthings are attempting to grab onto you, but you somehow manage to bring your still-glowing shield down hard on the one who caught you, burning it slightly but more importantly breaking its grip together with its arm.
This small victory is followed quickly by a small defeat; the other fish catching ahold of you with its claws, sinking them deep into the fabric of your armour.

You can feel the talon cutting ever closer to your skin and try to bash it away but to no avail. Meanwhile, Kvelar and Khami are having some troubles dispatching the one slowly heading towards them; the darkness and loss of vision obviously effecting their performance.

A loud squelch tells you Kvelar finally succeeded, and the decapitated head of the second to last Salmonster lands several feet away from where it used to be situated with a loud squelch.
That is the least of your concern however, as the beast you are facing cut through the last of the fabric and into your arm.

The Salmonster lets go of your arm with a snarl, ripping off your gauntlet in the process and loosening your hold of your shield.
It throws its head back lapping up the sweet crimson nectar from its claws and as it does so it visibly grows, sinewy arms suddenly bulging with muscles and fins turning into hardened spikes.

You fall back to the others as it seems occupied by its transformation and you are relived to see that that Abigail has the sense to do the same.

1: Relieved as you are that you managed to dispatch nearly all of the Salmonsters before blood was spilt; you still have to deal with the last remaining one.
It's grown nearly twice in size and has a maddened if unintelligent look in its eyes, which glows even more menacingly than before in the dark.
You have no sense of how quick it can move or what its full capabilities are in this state, or even what it will do with so many different targets (both dead and alive) around it.

What do you do?

A: Stall/Kite/Fight Defensively
You don't know exactly what its going to do, take a few steps back and re-evaluate from there. If it looks likely to charge at you you feel confident that a few well placed crossbow bolts would slow it down, and you can easily surround it if worst comes to worst.

B: Fight offensively
Try to kill it before anything else surprising happens. It might be larger but its still shorter than Khami, the four of you should be able to take it down.

C: Retreat

D: Something else?
Write-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B