Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finished my Dragon Karl Gerat 60 cm.

As always, more pics on Scalemates.

Holy balls, is this thing huge. The box it comes in is enormous. The model itself is too, as you can see it barely fit into my photobox and I could only take decent photos directly on the shelf. The amount of wheels on this thing is staggering. Thankfully, Dragon doesn't torture you with link to link tracks, providing link-and-length. However, the lengths are all completely flat and make it difficult to depict sagging. The model also comes with two decal options: Loki and Ziu (sadly, not for Adam, the markings on the last surviving one at Kubinka).

Downsides include the rather crude mufflers (no opening was provided in the exhaust pipes, I had to drill my own) and the weird straight rifling that only goes a short way into the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished my Dragon Karl Gerat 60 cm.

As always, more pics on Scalemates.

Holy balls, is this thing huge. The box it comes in is enormous. The model itself is too, as you can see it barely fit into my photobox and I could only take decent photos directly on the shelf. The amount of wheels on this thing is staggering. Thankfully, Dragon doesn't torture you with link to link tracks, providing link-and-length. However, the lengths are all completely flat and make it difficult to depict sagging. The model also comes with two decal options: Loki and Ziu (sadly, not for Adam, the markings on the last surviving one at Kubinka).

Downsides include the rather crude mufflers (no opening was provided in the exhaust pipes, I had to drill my own) and the weird straight rifling that only goes a short way into the barrel.

Good god, man. 1/35? And I thought my 1/72 Ju 290 was unreasonably large.

It's a nice job, btw.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, 1:35th for life. Maybe I'll get it a Munitionschlepper so it's not so lonely on that shelf. Nothing else really works with something that huge. Maybe the T-35.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kettenkrad trying to comically haul one of Karl's shells?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great looking gun.

Have a picture of it with something for scale?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Kettenkrad trying to comically haul one of Karl's shells?

Kettenkrad being ammunition for Karl.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Oh poo poo this thread is my joint, bookmarked. Currently working on an A-7A Corsair II, last model built was an F86. I'm still low skill but work on new techniques with each model and trying not to be overly critical of my work. I hate looking online because they all look like they should be in the smithsonian. Mainly sticking around 1:72 so I don't have to screw around with the crazy detail from bigger kits :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So after not placing at the Vegas IPMS show I was 2nd guessing my reading of the judges feedback, and since I need very little excuse to go to San Diego anyway, I entered the IPMS Model Expo show in San Diego today.

Pretty sure now that my interpretation of the Vegas email was on point.

Results today:
Sailing ships - 1st place (meaningless as it was the only sailing ship)
Best Ship - 6 of the other ship entries were in the Vegas show and had at least 4 places between them.

Big surprise of the day - Best in Show, Judges Choice.

Hell yeah.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Locator posted:

So after not placing at the Vegas IPMS show I was 2nd guessing my reading of the judges feedback, and since I need very little excuse to go to San Diego anyway, I entered the IPMS Model Expo show in San Diego today.

Results today:
Best Ship - 6 of the other ship entries were in the Vegas show and had at least 4 places between them.

Hell yeah.

:v::hf::nixon:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A crooked game in vegas!? :monocle:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Great looking gun.

Have a picture of it with something for scale?

Here it is next to a T-34. It's about as wide, but a hell of a lot longer and taller.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

Results today:

Hell yeah.

:thurman:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Grats, Locator!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Oh poo poo this thread is my joint, bookmarked. Currently working on an A-7A Corsair II, last model built was an F86. I'm still low skill but work on new techniques with each model and trying not to be overly critical of my work. I hate looking online because they all look like they should be in the smithsonian. Mainly sticking around 1:72 so I don't have to screw around with the crazy detail from bigger kits :v:

Welcome. Don't be afraid to post your models, they haven't asked me to leave the thread, you should be fine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here it is next to a T-34. It's about as wide, but a hell of a lot longer and taller.

Thanks. I was sort of thinking of a pop-can or something, but a T-34 in the same scale works I suppose!

--------------

Thanks for the kudo's guys. That best of show was one hell of a surprise to me, was not expecting it at all, there were some pretty fantastic models there. Some guy had a 1:48 scale Douglas C-54 that he spent 13 years building from scratch (making all his own molds for all the pieces - it was plastic) that I really expected to win everything, and it didn't even win best aircraft!

I took no photo's except for some of the real aircraft (show was at the San Diego Aerospace Museum annex).

I did take this one of the hardware they gave me though...

Guess I need to hang stuff on my hobby room wall now, just need to figure out what plan sheet to take down to make room.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Better not enter any more shows, you'll have no room for building ships left. Congrats!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Locator posted:

Some guy had a 1:48 scale Douglas C-54 that he spent 13 years building from scratch (making all his own molds for all the pieces - it was plastic) that I really expected to win everything, and it didn't even win best aircraft!

Holy crap, that's actually sad. What do you even do at that point? :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Go on a remote-controlled 1/48-scale tank rampage with live ammo to show just how realistic it really is?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go on a remote-controlled 1/48-scale tank rampage with live ammo to show just how realistic it really is?

Speaking of, someone on reddit posted photos of a 1/96 Bismarck that fires blank .22s from the turret.

http://imgur.com/a/ImUkF

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Start on your next project? Nobody works on something for that long if they don't enjoy it (or aren't getting a paycheck for it), so I'm sure he'll keep on doing modelling. It took first place in class, just not best aircraft (there were probably 150+ aircraft at the show, it was the largest category by far), and as I learned first hand from going to Vegas, judging is very subjective, and it could easily go to a different show and take best aircraft or even best of show I imagine.

His airplane got a LOT of attention and he received a lot of positive feedback from other modelers, along with his first place in class. Since I didn't look at it with a 'judging' eye, I've got no clue whether it had some flaws of some kind that weren't notice with my casual look at it.

--------

Oh, I forgot to mention something that I found kind of funny. Sitting in the front row when they presented the awards (and hence my best of show) was the judge from Vegas that gave me the honorable mention and then sent me that email. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Speaking of, someone on reddit posted photos of a 1/96 Bismarck that fires blank .22s from the turret.

That would be pretty drat loud inside of a building. Also, that's a drat big model at over 8.5' long. I wouldn't have a way to transport it, wouldn't fit in my car!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

That would be pretty drat loud inside of a building. Also, that's a drat big model at over 8.5' long. I wouldn't have a way to transport it, wouldn't fit in my car!

It might be, but aren't you now tempted to use real-firing cannon?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Not really. I've actually thought about it, but there's just no way to make something at scale that doesn't sound like a little tiny 'pop'. Even with that Bismark model, it's going to sound like a small caliber hand-gun (since that's what it is) and not a 15" gun, as there's just no way to make a sound like that with an actual 'gun'. In theory you could do something with a sound system, but even then to get something that sounded reasonably like a cannon would take much larger speakers than you could ever fit into a model. Big guns (even what were considered very small cannon, like a 6 pounder) make a very loud noise that is very deep, nothing at all like a gun-shot.

When the Californian fires the 6 pounders while sailing past the USS Midway, it sets off car alarms for blocks up the street between the high-rises. It's pretty funny, and really really loud.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Not really. I've actually thought about it, but there's just no way to make something at scale that doesn't sound like a little tiny 'pop'. Even with that Bismark model, it's going to sound like a small caliber hand-gun (since that's what it is) and not a 15" gun, as there's just no way to make a sound like that with an actual 'gun'. In theory you could do something with a sound system, but even then to get something that sounded reasonably like a cannon would take much larger speakers than you could ever fit into a model. Big guns (even what were considered very small cannon, like a 6 pounder) make a very loud noise that is very deep, nothing at all like a gun-shot.

When the Californian fires the 6 pounders while sailing past the USS Midway, it sets off car alarms for blocks up the street between the high-rises. It's pretty funny, and really really loud.

Yeah, I've worked on a 6-pounder, I know. Actually I think the smoke effects would be cooler than the sound, and with black powder it might even scale well, unlike the Bismarck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd probably avoid it just so I didn't have to mess around with local, state, and federal firearms laws. The definition of "gun" can surprise you sometimes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No, it wouldn't, I'm well-versed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No, it wouldn't, I'm well-versed.

:ok:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, most reasonable would probably to build in speakers in a display that you put the model on top off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It wouldn't even need to be loud at all. If you wanted to get fancy with an Arduino and a sound board, you could create a whole soundscape of ocean waves and creaking timbers and men shouting, with cannon blasts timed to LED flashes in the barrels of the cannons. It could be very quiet even, and you could encourage people to bend down to deck level where they could hear the sound.

Sheperd Paine used a similar technique with many of his dioramas, where you could only here the sounds once you got right in up close to the viewing port.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I'm curious. I bought some Testors create fx enamel stain. I already did some weathering with oil paints, and I was wondering if putting the stain over it would mess with the work I already did?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
From what I heard, only acrylics play nice with oil, and even then I managed to rub off some paint here and there if I don't coat the model with clear varnish first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Acrylics only place nice when it's oil over the acrylic. If you want to put anything over oil, a few coats of varnish are needed as Expendable says. Even then it's kind of a crap shoot.

Enamel stain over oil can be dicy, even with varnish. Enamel is a very harsh paint, and can reliquify the varnish and the oil. It can be used certainly, but you don't want to work it too much once it's in place in case your brush starts lifting the layers underneath.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I found some back issues of the Russian "Tankomaster" armour modelling magazine online, and it's fascinating stuff. For example, this page advertises one (yes, just one) 1:32nd scale Revell-Monogram Sherman track connector that you have to take molds of and cast in resin yourself to make your model.

The previous page is just a straight up scan from a British model magazine with "We can't translate this, figure it out yourself" written on top in Russian.

Edit: more good poo poo: "according to David Kass, owner of the Lead Sled models company, 1:76th, 1:72nd, and 1:48th scale models have reached their zenith on the international market and will become rarities on the Western market in 10-20 years"

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I have an odd question: Have anybody seen any models of modern aircraft that are a bit more sturdy than regular scale models? My job, a museum, is starting up a class about an old airfield, and which types of aircraft could be housed in the hangars here. So, ideally, we'd need something like a C-130 Hercules, and a variant of F-16. Scale is not important, but it has to be able to be handled by an entire class of (older) school children a couple of times a week or month, depending on how popular the class will be. Pre-built would be a plus, but I know it costs.

Maybe something like die-cast planes or something? Quality is less important than cost, unfortunately.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

secretly a baby posted:

I have an odd question: Have anybody seen any models of modern aircraft that are a bit more sturdy than regular scale models? My job, a museum, is starting up a class about an old airfield, and which types of aircraft could be housed in the hangars here. So, ideally, we'd need something like a C-130 Hercules, and a variant of F-16. Scale is not important, but it has to be able to be handled by an entire class of (older) school children a couple of times a week or month, depending on how popular the class will be. Pre-built would be a plus, but I know it costs.

Maybe something like die-cast planes or something? Quality is less important than cost, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'd say die-cast. Anything plastic will get demolished if handled by the public.

There are loads of planes in various scales in die-cast, though they are a little bit pricey.

http://www.diecastairplane.com/

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I thought so. The selection is huge, and the price is ranging from hilariously cheap to very expensive. Do you know of any importer/manufacturer near Scandinavia?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

secretly a baby posted:

I thought so. The selection is huge, and the price is ranging from hilariously cheap to very expensive. Do you know of any importer/manufacturer near Scandinavia?

None that have a large range of diecast kits, unfortunately. I'd probably search a bit of amazon.co.uk, and if that doesn't help, check e-bay.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

secretly a baby posted:

You might be able to reach out to them and explain that you're a museum putting together a tactile display, and ask if they'd be willing to do a trade or discount for you promoting them. Something like, "This display is courtesy diecastairplanes.com go there and buy some poo poo."

I work at a for-profit ski resort and was still able to do something similar for 50% off fiber Internet.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Fair enough. It was worth a shot.

You might be able to reach out to them and explain that you're a museum putting together a tactile display, and ask if they'd be willing to do a trade or discount for you promoting them. Something like, "This display is courtesy diecastairplanes.com go there and buy some poo poo."

I work at a for-profit ski resort and was still able to do something similar for 50% off fiber Internet.

I'll pass that on. Luckily, I'm not the one doing the buying or negotiating. They just called me and asked me to find a type of model that was suitable because I'm apparently the resident modelling nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

This thread has been tempting me to pick up a scale model to paint to push my painting skills further. drat you thread and your cool models.