Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Manager sent me an email on my day off.

"Are you working?

<Describes issue> can you help me?"

I do like the fact that she just mailed me directly. She knows I exist and I hope she thinks i'm competent.
Now I need to go in and explain to her that i read her e-mail too late yesterday to help her with her issue and that it was my day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

And here my experience has been that the common configuration is a drat generator.
Depends on how critical your stuff is. Just having a UPS with 30 minute run time will cover several nines of outages, and if your office isn't super critical it might make more financial sense to just shut down for a couple of hours than to invest in an expensive to maintain generator.

the real blah posted:

I currently work in a CO, and if I can still get in the power area, I might get some pictures.
Make triple sure your power room doesn't have a arc fault detector before you take pictures. They can trigger off a the camera flash and then you get to enjoy the sound of a sharp thunk followed by your datacenter going completely silent. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

Manager sent me an email on my day off.

"Are you working?

<Describes issue> can you help me?"

I do like the fact that she just mailed me directly. She knows I exist and I hope she thinks i'm competent.
Now I need to go in and explain to her that i read her e-mail too late yesterday to help her with her issue and that it was my day off.

Just tell her it was your day off. No other explanation needed.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Just tell her it was your day off. No other explanation needed.

I did. It was a pleasant conversation. She wasn't sure I was working and had gotten help from someone else. She said it was no big deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Collateral Damage posted:

Make triple sure your power room doesn't have a arc fault detector before you take pictures. They can trigger off a the camera flash and then you get to enjoy the sound of a sharp thunk followed by your datacenter going completely silent. :v:

Someone, somewhere is furiously writing malware to use the LEDs on a server someplace to do exactly this.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sefal posted:

I did. It was a pleasant conversation. She wasn't sure I was working and had gotten help from someone else. She said it was no big deal.

Dont forget about Out of Office messages. It will save both of you the worry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EDI orders are getting stuck in the system. AS/400 guy to the rescue.

"Oh I figured out the problem. They ordered the parts in lower case, and they're in the system as upper case"

So you fixed it?

"Yea, I changed the orders to upper case and they went right through"

So you didn't fix the problem, you fixed the orders.

"Well they went through"

What about next time they order in lowercase?

"Uhhh"

Why don't you make the order import not case-sensitive?

"Well I know..."

Moron.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh I was wrong it would have actually been cheaper to buy the patch cables pre-made even before taking into account bulk pricing and time.

I guess it feels "good" to know my manager hates me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with pre-cut cables is it can be hard to fit them precisely to the runs, so if you aren't careful you end up with a lot of excess coils all over the place which eventually turns your networking areas into a giant pile of poo poo.

We buy spools where I'm at, but we have a couple guys who's only job is managing cable runs so there's no excuses not to do it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

Dont forget about Out of Office messages. It will save both of you the worry.

Yes, especially if you work a non-standard week. (i.e. Weds-Sun). There's a guy I interact with every so often on projects that has every other Friday off. He puts in an OoO message on the Friday's he's off, which I greatly appreciate. That means I just wait until Monday to talk to him rather than trying to hunt him down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xzzy posted:

The problem with pre-cut cables is it can be hard to fit them precisely to the runs, so if you aren't careful you end up with a lot of excess coils all over the place which eventually turns your networking areas into a giant pile of poo poo.

We buy spools where I'm at, but we have a couple guys who's only job is managing cable runs so there's no excuses not to do it.

We made 24' cables, not exactly custom order.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

Depends on how critical your stuff is. Just having a UPS with 30 minute run time will cover several nines of outages, and if your office isn't super critical it might make more financial sense to just shut down for a couple of hours than to invest in an expensive to maintain generator.

I'm talking about buildings containing DCs, not just generic offices. And I think there is some confusion, I've never seen anything running without a UPS, its just usually rack UPSes and the site backup was a generator(who gives a poo poo about any offices outside of emergency services, if the power goes out go hang out outside and smoke til it comes back). That one site, which was an office complex with one floor dedicated to a DC that did the car batteries as a UPS for the whole building thing.(and I do mean car batteries, iirc they were NAPA)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not that uncommon for datacenters to handle all UPS requirements in one room and then feed protected power out to cabinets. But yeah, normally they aren't just car batteries.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So another team is getting together tomorrow to decide how my team should operate from now on with regard to calls from doctors.

We're not invited, because our input is frankly irrelevant compared to people who we've mostly never spoken to. None of them are managers or even on the technical side, just the doctor's computer nannies.

I'm eager to hear why exactly I need to be called directly in the middle of the night instead of just getting a ticket. Apparently even the courtesy of a 5 minute lead time to calm down and get my equipment running and go the garage so I don't wake others up is too much for the little princes. I need to be able to pull over on the highway to tap at my computer instead of being able to wait a little bit because instead of a ticket, the doctor called me and he wants it :siren:NOW:siren: Of course it's my fault you forgot your password and how to enter it again. It seems that since they're called directly, we need to be to, because all must suffer. We have a 24/7 help desk, but this isn't good enough for them and that team feels like they should be cut out of the picture.

It might be a little better if the single sign on VM system they use wasn't a garbage fire that needs about 5 people's VMs reset on a good day because they drop off. A system built by and used by incompetents, lovely.

I know this gets bandied about a lot, but this is absolutely a resume generating event and I will actually take a pay cut just for the privilege of having an on call that I can get a reasonable amount of sleep in. I was waiting to get at least ICND1 so I have something other than lovely desktop experience, but if these are the stakes my hand is forced.

I also love how everyone, client or us, my team/service line or not, everyone thinks they are our boss and they get to set our policies. My manager is spineless and my lead is powerless.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Adrian TA 900 series and faxing. I'm not even working on them any more but I thought about it and it is pissing me off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skooma512 posted:

So another team is getting together tomorrow to decide how my team should operate from now on with regard to calls from doctors.

We're not invited, because our input is frankly irrelevant compared to people who we've mostly never spoken to. None of them are managers or even on the technical side, just the doctor's computer nannies.

I'm eager to hear why exactly I need to be called directly in the middle of the night instead of just getting a ticket. Apparently even the courtesy of a 5 minute lead time to calm down and get my equipment running and go the garage so I don't wake others up is too much for the little princes. I need to be able to pull over on the highway to tap at my computer instead of being able to wait a little bit because instead of a ticket, the doctor called me and he wants it :siren:NOW:siren: Of course it's my fault you forgot your password and how to enter it again. It seems that since they're called directly, we need to be to, because all must suffer. We have a 24/7 help desk, but this isn't good enough for them and that team feels like they should be cut out of the picture.

It might be a little better if the single sign on VM system they use wasn't a garbage fire that needs about 5 people's VMs reset on a good day because they drop off. A system built by and used by incompetents, lovely.

I know this gets bandied about a lot, but this is absolutely a resume generating event and I will actually take a pay cut just for the privilege of having an on call that I can get a reasonable amount of sleep in. I was waiting to get at least ICND1 so I have something other than lovely desktop experience, but if these are the stakes my hand is forced.

I also love how everyone, client or us, my team/service line or not, everyone thinks they are our boss and they get to set our policies. My manager is spineless and my lead is powerless.

Why the gently caress would you pay for a 24x7 helpdesk and not use that for triaging requests for on-call escalation points?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
That stereotype about working for doctors and lawyers seems to be consistently true

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

Why the gently caress would you pay for a 24x7 helpdesk and not use that for triaging requests for on-call escalation points?
That helpdesk appears to be staffed with people who aspire to be biological seat warmers.

Discussing upcoming project XYZ with consultant #273.

Consultant #273 posted:

words words words words words Excel macros words words words words words words Access Database words words words words words words words words words

Mission-critical, you say?

:suicide:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Because they're dirty Indians and they want their password reset noooooowwwwwww.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

Because they're dirty Indians and they want their password reset noooooowwwwwww.

Is this an inside joke I missed or unironic racism?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Sickening posted:

He's saying the doctors he supports are racists, and don't want to call the offshore helpdesk.

At least that's what I think they're saying.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

I work at a native org and I twitched when I saw dirty Indians but he's talking about their help desk in India and how the docs consider them subhuman

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They don't want to call them because "they can't understand them". I hyperbolized, although people have gotten racist with them before.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Salesforce.

My job isn't sales & marketing yet I have to evaluate saleforce and work out how to train our client how to use campaigns because ... my colleagues developed their website?

Also the Campaign Monitor integration doesn't work properly. 'Click this button to add people to an email list'. I clicked it several times last week and it still hasn't gone through.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pissing me off: trying to track down VirtIO whql signed drivers.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone else have problems with people not telling you things are broken?

We have several branch locations and I constantly run into situations where I go to a branch only to be told several things are broken and not working, and have not been for months. They always say "we thought you knew already".

Most recent example was a printer.. the printer hasn't worked in about 2 months. Someone finally decided to call me about it today.

Adding to the stupidity, I let them know the reason it wasn't working is because it didn't appear to actually be plugged into the computer. I get this in response: "It was plugged in just not the right hole. You are a genius. Thanks"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I love our ticketing system. Someone stops me in a hall to ask for something? Open a ticket. Someone blind fires an email? Reply and ask them to open a ticket.

I usually dress it up a bit with stuff like "we need to have a paper trail to document work on your CRITICAL SYSTEM, so open a ticket for tracking purposes" or something like that. Works a treat and if someone tries to corner me the first thing I do is search the history.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

xzzy posted:

Works a treat and if someone tries to corner me the first thing I do is search the history.

See I just tell people that I've got 10 things going on and I will 100% forget the words that came out of your mouth in 20 seconds with your drive-by request, send a ticket to the support address please (they send an E-mail directly to me...)

nexus6 posted:

Salesforce.

My job isn't sales & marketing yet I have to evaluate saleforce and work out how to train our client how to use campaigns because ... my colleagues developed their website?

Also the Campaign Monitor integration doesn't work properly. 'Click this button to add people to an email list'. I clicked it several times last week and it still hasn't gone through.

In some ways it's good, but for the most part it's a ridiculously obtuse piece of poo poo to work with that has a horrifying price tag. We're finally binning it off this year, it's almost like having to work with a walled garden where every little piece of functionality you want is hidden behind yet another purchase, and you're forever having to build around core functionality because there's so much it simply can't do.

If it's any consolation our sales and marketing are migrating over to Hubspot which is a drat sight easier.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Adding to the stupidity, I let them know the reason it wasn't working is because it didn't appear to actually be plugged into the computer. I get this in response: "It was plugged in just not the right hole. You are a genius. Thanks"

Did they have the USB cable shoved into the Ethernet jack?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Did they have the USB cable shoved into the Ethernet jack?

I really wish those didn't fit so well together.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only plug on the back of a workstation that pisses me off is the power cable. Most everything else back there I can fumble around for a couple tries and get the wire connected, but the power cable refuses to play nice. You'd think the diagonal corners would be enough to make it easy to sort out orientation, but nope. Invariably I have to pull the computer out and use my eyes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What's the best time to completely rearrange the rack to mount a new switch?

Oh, the middle of the afternoon on a weekday? Yeah OK I guess so.

Oh look somebody nudged the power cable and all of the switches currently in use turned off and now none of the phones work. Thanks.

And I do literally mean nudge since it has to be pushed a quarter of the way into the outlet and left at an exact angle or else the entire rack powers off and this has been known since before I started 6 months ago but fixing it somehow was perpetually the last thing on any priorities list.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off today:

User opens a low priority ticket at 5pm thursday about some computer stick having WiFi issues. OK, ticket goes in the "gently caress if I care" pile.

Today user emails boss and boss' boss about some completely unrelated thing that's super mission critical and sites the fact that he opened a ticket ALMOST TWO WEEKS AGO says he.

motherfuckers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

And I do literally mean nudge since it has to be pushed a quarter of the way into the outlet and left at an exact angle or else the entire rack powers off and this has been known since before I started 6 months ago but fixing it somehow was perpetually the last thing on any priorities list.

If nothing else that sounds like a serious fire hazard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah are your PDUs hosed or something?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

skooma512 posted:

They don't want to call them because "they can't understand them". I hyperbolized, although people have gotten racist with them before.

I was at a comcast service center the other day and I overheard some old guy telling the agent there that he had called their support but "I couldn't understand him. He was a drat ferriner"

When I worked phone support I frequently got people surprised that they got an American, which is whatever. It was when they wouldn't shut up about those "dirty foreigners" (actually said) that things got uncomfortable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah are your PDUs hosed or something?

It was like that when I arrived and moving them over to the UPS was going to happen "soon."

Racking the new switch unit was what knocked them out so the whole point has been mooted!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 9, 2016

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ZetsurinPower posted:

That stereotype about working for doctors and lawyers seems to be consistently true

Don't forget elected officials, they can be up their own rear end at times as well.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Pissing me off:

As a phone guy, having to troubleshoot IP phone voice quality issues with the constraint of "you are not allowed to say it is a network issue". It is 3 weeks later, and guess what, it was a network issue.

Executives who, when a customer tells them there is a problem with product X, immediately bring me on a bridge with the customer, even though I have never heard of X, and sadly, could not even spell it since it was one of those uniquely spelled pieces of software. It turns out that X is supported by a group that I am not allowed to send tickets to and will escalate on me in a heartbeat if they think I am giving them work.

My day sucked today. I had a 4 hour conference call. About half of that was trying to get one of our partner vendors on the call. Halfway through the call our customer's director sends an email to EVERYONE asking why it has been hours and our partner is not on the call. Except he uses an abbreviation for the partner's name that is close enough to my company's name that my management thinks he is complaining about me and I spent half an hour assuring executives that yes I have been working the issue. I have been for 3 weeks. It was the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

nexus6 posted:

Salesforce.

If you're in IT and you're being asked to manage Salesforce someone seriously hosed up. It's a sales tool and it needs sales management to define how they want to use it in very clear terms to be successful.

If sales was sold on the benefits but they don't have an expert in a Sales Ops role, they need to contract that to a firm that understands how to train sales people and teach managers new tricks.