Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lights father is the only main character who isn't presented as a sociopath.

He was actually principled.

He also contrasts with light in that when given the opportunity to play judge jury and executioner he declines.

A cop who doesn't shoot a deranged murderer armed with a bomb isn't much of a cop. I don't think you could get "justified use of lethal force" any more clearly unless it was tattooed on your forehead.

Also Misa probably wasn't a sociopath. She was just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I caught up with Magi.

I really like Sinbad as a character mostly because he makes a very interesting villain. I really hope that they don't play up the "David was influencing him" angle and that him being a manipulative douche-bag is just his real personality (which seems to be the case judging from the Adventures of Sinbad offshoot manga). He's just a really bizarre character who seems to have an almost religious fervor regarding his belief that Fate is on his side and that he is destined to change the world, and he seems incapable of having any real, genuine relationships with other people. Even in the offshoot that details how he met all his followers, it's obviously that they aren't all friends and equals; everyone else is just carried along by the momentum of Sinbad's personality.

Alibaba is a really good contrast to Sinbad (and all the other King vessels for that matter) because he is much more human. I really look forward to the (hopefully) inevitable time when Alibaba, Alladin, and the others throw a wrench in Sinbad's plans, because up until this point it's obvious that Sinbad has always felt 100% confident that things would work out because he is "loved by Fate." I'll be really disappointed if they just attribute Sinbad's hosed up actions to a combination of the David thing and him being influenced by Arba. It would be more interesting if "literally mind-control people into not doing evil" was his ultimate plan all along.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

So I caught up with Magi.

I really like Sinbad as a character mostly because he makes a very interesting villain. I really hope that they don't play up the "David was influencing him" angle and that him being a manipulative douche-bag is just his real personality (which seems to be the case judging from the Adventures of Sinbad offshoot manga). He's just a really bizarre character who seems to have an almost religious fervor regarding his belief that Fate is on his side and that he is destined to change the world, and he seems incapable of having any real, genuine relationships with other people. Even in the offshoot that details how he met all his followers, it's obviously that they aren't all friends and equals; everyone else is just carried along by the momentum of Sinbad's personality.

Alibaba is a really good contrast to Sinbad (and all the other King vessels for that matter) because he is much more human. I really look forward to the (hopefully) inevitable time when Alibaba, Alladin, and the others throw a wrench in Sinbad's plans, because up until this point it's obvious that Sinbad has always felt 100% confident that things would work out because he is "loved by Fate." I'll be really disappointed if they just attribute Sinbad's hosed up actions to a combination of the David thing and him being influenced by Arba. It would be more interesting if "literally mind-control people into not doing evil" was his ultimate plan all along.

Does that include the chapter released today? It's really explicit about all of what you've said and if you haven't gotten to it yet it's definitely validating your thoughts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Death Note's first half is fun but it requires the super genius proantagonist to make a series of really dumb mistakes for L to even have a ghost of a chance to catch him.

Light killing the fake L reveals him to be a possible student who at least watches TV in Kanto. Big whoop.

Then after extraordinary effort to fool the FBI agent he uh... just kinda says "gently caress it I'll kill him anyway." Which is insanely stupid and doesn't make much sense.

I had a hard time getting past that much less Near and Mello.

Also in The Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas died. Be sure to check out Nakaba sensei's next work everyone!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Does that include the chapter released today? It's really explicit about all of what you've said and if you haven't gotten to it yet it's definitely validating your thoughts.

I just read it, and yeah it's nice to see that the comic is taking this approach. The only thing I'm a little annoyed at is the whole insistence on saying "_____ isn't a villain!" No, I'm pretty sure that Sinbad is a villain if he's attempting to bring about peace by mind-control everyone in the world. It doesn't really get much more "villain"-y than that. Same goes for Mogamett, who was nearly "literal Hitler" levels of evil; the fact that he genuinely cared about magicians does not somehow invalidate the fact that he thought of non-magician humans as literal livestock (the dude was literally kicking children). They seem to be defining villain as "someone who explicitly wants to do bad stuff just for the sake of it being bad," but very few people are actually evil if you take that perspective. But it's a relatively minor quibble; overall I find the conflicts in Magi way more interesting than the ones you see in most shounen manga

edit: Read the latest 7 Deadly Sins and I kind of hope they don't go the super obvious route of "girl with magical healing powers reviving Meliodas", though I'm 95% sure they will. It was fun and unexpected having Meliodas sucker-punch Dolor and that fairy guy out of nowhere a few chapters back. I legit have no clue what route the story can go at this point, because none of the deadly sins are even remotely as strong as the 10 commandments except for Meliodas, Escanor, and arguably Harlequin (in short bursts). Speaking of Escanor, it seems like he is even stronger than Meliodas during the day; he easily defeated 2 commandments in a straight fight, while Meliodas explicitly stated that he would probably lose if he didn't catch Dolor/fairy off-guard. Granted, it seems like spear-dude is the weakest, but he beat him and necro-mancer girl pretty much effortlessly.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 6, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the latest She is the Rokurokubi, things get a little real. But not too much.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Read the latest 7 Deadly Sins and I kind of hope they don't go the super obvious route of "girl with magical healing powers reviving Meliodas", though I'm 95% sure they will. It was fun and unexpected having Meliodas sucker-punch Dolor and that fairy guy out of nowhere a few chapters back. I legit have no clue what route the story can go at this point, because none of the deadly sins are even remotely as strong as the 10 commandments except for Meliodas, Escanor, and arguably Harlequin (in short bursts). Speaking of Escanor, it seems like he is even stronger than Meliodas during the day; he easily defeated 2 commandments in a straight fight, while Meliodas explicitly stated that he would probably lose if he didn't catch Dolor/fairy off-guard. Granted, it seems like spear-dude is the weakest, but he beat him and necro-mancer girl pretty much effortlessly.
Seven sins
I was a little surprised that Meliodas actually died, I really hope that they aren't going to go the obvious route. Escanor sucker punched Dolor and Gloxinia, but according to Gowther he wasn't even at full strength. I seriously want to see full powered Escanor take on a full powered 10 commandments. The panel where he was about to flatten spiky dude was epic.

The gap is power is currently ridiculous and I have no idea how even the odds without making it seem cheap.

I wonder how long it will take for Ban to regenerate.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Magi would be epic if the Hogwarts arc wasnt like 150 chapters long. I keep reading a few chapters every now and then and I feel like its not even close to winding down. Serious shounen battle fatigue.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's close to winding down [Magic school wasn't *that* long], and it went in an interesting direction for the final boss so it's worth it to catch up if you like stupid shounen bullshit..

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pewdiepie posted:

Magi would be epic if the Hogwarts arc wasnt like 150 chapters long. I keep reading a few chapters every now and then and I feel like its not even close to winding down. Serious shounen battle fatigue.

it was clearly massively interfered by an editor because everything else is really good and that arc d ragged on really badly in an out of place way

its really good after you get past that bad arc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^ Yeah, everything post-magic school has been very interesting.

Pewdiepie posted:

While Magi is still one of the best shounen I've ever read, there are a few things that keep it from being up there with the absolute best of the best (like HxH):
1. Pacing isn't so great, as you mentioned; a bunch of stuff is really long and drawn out that doesn't really need to be.
2. The battles aren't very good. The whole metal vessel/djinn equip stuff opens up a ton of cool possibilities for creative fights, but it seems like just about every one winds up just being the ability to blast their opponent with whatever their element happens to be.

I think the silliest djinn ability has to be Belial's scythe that Hakuryuu was using. It is literally like a regular scythe except worse. I can't think of a single situation where cutting off someone's ability to use their legs or stabbing someone in the face and removing their soul from their body is stronger or better than just directly cutting off their arm or stabbing them in the face. If it was a regular scythe Alibaba would actually be dead.

All this being said, Magi has some very good strengths. The world and surrounding lore is very unique and interesting, and the cast of characters is also very varied and distinct. It seems to treat "what is the best way to run countries" with quite a bit of maturity, with characters generally bringing up the exact same points and arguments you might think of as the reader. In particular, Alibaba and others pointing out how Sinbad's new system only really eliminates the violence of wars, while still freely allowing "economic violence" was pretty cool.

edit: One side thing I wonder about is if Hakuryuu will ever directly address the fact that he effectively murdered literally tens of thousands of people. I was surprised he came back to the good side without dying, because he's done some really unforgivable stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 9, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually really liked the Magnostadt arc up until the final battle started to drag (basically when Kou and Alibaba entered the picture). I'd definitely call that the nadir of the manga, but before that it was pretty interesting. Like it was really easy to see the different sides of the argument, whether it was the magicians or Reim or what have you.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Ytlaya posted:

I think the silliest djinn ability has to be Belial's scythe that Hakuryuu was using. It is literally like a regular scythe except worse. I can't think of a single situation where cutting off someone's ability to use their legs or stabbing someone in the face and removing their soul from their body is stronger or better than just directly cutting off their arm or stabbing them in the face. If it was a regular scythe Alibaba would actually be dead.

Hm? There's a real easy situation where that's useful: where they can heal/regenerate from bodily damage but not from the Djinn ability

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
New chapter of Takagi-san!

Man, that's sexist, coach. :geno:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's pretty much how it always is with grade school physical education stuff, in my eperience

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

El Burbo posted:

That's pretty much how it always is with grade school physical education stuff, in my eperience

My PE teachers always made the entire class run the same amount. The dreaded year-end 1 mile final exam run in middle school was for sure a thing; everyone had to do it, but the hyper-competitive and athletic boys always made it a contest to see who could make it in the least time -- it wasn't a requirement, though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

My PE teachers always made the entire class run the same amount. The dreaded year-end 1 mile final exam run in middle school was for sure a thing; everyone had to do it, but the hyper-competitive and athletic boys always made it a contest to see who could make it in the least time -- it wasn't a requirement, though.

For me, everyone had to run the same amount but the girls were allowed slower times, had to do less push-up and sit-ups, stuff like that.

In Takagi-san news, it's getting regular monthly serialization now since the mangaka ended his other series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

El Burbo posted:

For me, everyone had to run the same amount but the girls were allowed slower times, had to do less push-up and sit-ups, stuff like that.

In Takagi-san news, it's getting regular monthly serialization now since the mangaka ended his other series.

Thank goodness, the other thing was just utter trash.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's time to do black magic and kill punks. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/eko-eko-azarak-r18219

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love old mangas finally getting translated. :)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

coathat posted:

It's time to do black magic and kill punks. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/eko-eko-azarak-r18219

its really good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the newest chapter of magi :eyepop: can't believe they got away with that in a shounen manga

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Night-309?id=276358

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I probably should be posting this somewhere else but apparently this American Death Note movie is still happening.
http://screenrant.com/death-note-movie-keith-stanfield/

If anyone knows where I should discuss this, please let me know. Should I make a topic in the movie forum? Seems like it might be abit early for that but I dunno. I am nervous about creating topics on this site.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I probably should be posting this somewhere else but apparently this American Death Note movie is still happening.
http://screenrant.com/death-note-movie-keith-stanfield/

If anyone knows where I should discuss this, please let me know. Should I make a topic in the movie forum? Seems like it might be abit early for that but I dunno. I am nervous about creating topics on this site.

I think it goes in the Who Greenlighted thread in Cinema Discusso.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seven deadly sins
He's still dead. Color me surprised.
Nice timeskip.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

Seven deadly sins
He's still dead. Color me surprised.
Nice timeskip.

They'll probably go on a quest to revive him now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the goddess clan can resurrect people, no problem. the issue is that they tried to put out a hit on him before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, something wonderful happened. Makoto Raiku has started up a new series, and it is a shounen fighting manga! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vector-Ball/Ch-001--What-the-hell-are-you-?id=276592

gently caress yeah.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, something wonderful happened. Makoto Raiku has started up a new series, and it is a shounen fighting manga! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vector-Ball/Ch-001--What-the-hell-are-you-?id=276592

gently caress yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

he loves his equations lol

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

gently caress yeah.

so weird. I think i like it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This one-shot owns pretty hard: http://bato.to/reader#38036b6fb4906909

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You are completely right!! We need way more badass awesome princesses. I hope it becomes a god damned series, because I just realized how much I need the power of HYPER-CHARISMATIC PUNCHFIST PRINCESS in my life!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

You are completely right!! We need way more badass awesome princesses. I hope it becomes a god damned series, because I just realized how much I need the power of HYPER-CHARISMATIC PUNCHFIST PRINCESS in my life!

How about Electric Princess? (New chapter of Railgun - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/To-Aru-Kagaku-no-Choudenjibou/Ch-087--Heading-Out?id=289615)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

gently caress yeah.

That was hosed up. I'm totally on board with this weirdness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Here is an old one shot from the saiki guy: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Saiki-Kusuo-no-Psi-Nan/Vol-000-Ch-007-001--Mikami-Case-Files?id=296796

I just about died when the second watson appeared.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So Blue Exorcist is on sale in the Comixology app. Is it worth getting?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's a new Takagi-san, in which- well, I won't say anything

http://bato.to/reader#229fa4774947638b

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A chapter in which we the readers are the ones teased.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

A chapter in which we the readers are the ones teased.

A diabolical crime, truly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I'm glad she becomes a cute mom.