Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Camus is really enjoyable and I think his prose style is underrated, even in his essays, so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

blue squares posted:

You don't understand this thread. Half of it is dedicated to insulting one another.

Actually I think you'll find that this thread is for enjoying literature and hanging with cool friends :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously you guys I wrote up an effort post and everything :smith:

I'm racing through one more book that is due at the library in the middle of next week but then I am all over it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are the best novels set on college campuses? I have read Secret History, Stoner, and White Noise. I own Lucky Jim and I Am Charlotte Simmons. Is Simmons good?

Edit: oh and preferably featuring mostly students rather than professors

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

blue squares posted:

What are the best novels set on college campuses? I have read Secret History and White Noise. I own Lucky Jim and I Am Charlotte Simmons. Is Simmons good?

Disgrace, and probably some others by Coetzee.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

blue squares posted:

What are the best novels set on college campuses? I have read Secret History, Stoner, and White Noise. I own Lucky Jim and I Am Charlotte Simmons. Is Simmons good?

Zuleika Dobson is a very odd and surprisingly dark satire of turn of the century Oxford, I quite like it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've picked up Against the Day again and made some decent progress on it. I am definitely going to finish it god damnit, if only so I don't have to carry around this incredibly heavy book anymore.

Kindle eReader whatever whatever don't care shut up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

david crosby posted:

You need to give us concrete examples of what you read. Because you were either reading tons of poo poo or are a huge dumbass, and It's important to kno which so that we can deal with your posts appropriately.

I was reading tons of poo poo and the entire point of the original post was that Catch-22 had turned me on to literature and I was excited to read more good poo poo, but apparently I'm also a huge dumbass who can't communicate, so it's definitely both.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

The Art of Fielding

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Amazon posted:

The hero, Gnossus Pappadopoulis
I'm sold.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Cloks posted:

Yeah this book is real cool. The author, Richard Farina was Thomas Pynchon's best friend in college and died in a motorcycle accident like a week before/after (I forget) after this book was published. Pretty awesome.

Cool poo poo in the book too.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Heath posted:

I've picked up Against the Day again and made some decent progress on it. I am definitely going to finish it god damnit, if only so I don't have to carry around this incredibly heavy book anymore.

Kindle eReader whatever whatever don't care shut up

I love that book and even when I only get 200-400 pages into a reread, I feel like I got something out of it

Good luck to you :)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GlyphGryph posted:

I was reading tons of poo poo and the entire point of the original post was that Catch-22 had turned me on to literature and I was excited to read more good poo poo, but apparently I'm also a huge dumbass who can't communicate, so it's definitely both.

Don't hide from us! TELL US THE BOOKS!

FEED THE BEAST

blue squares posted:

Before you read Charlotte Simmons, ask yourself: Do you really want/trust the opinion on eighteen year old men and women from a dude in his seventies?

Seconding Art of Fielding, really liked that one.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 10, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The new Austen movie adaptation Love and Friendship is amazing; i think it might be the best Austen adaptation I've ever seen.

It's the first and only adaptation I've ever seen capture just how sharp and layered Austen's language can be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm "hung up" on it because I enjoyed reading a book where it finally happened, that was also really good independent from that? Tell me more, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean or how your book suggestion will help me address this terrible problem.

(Maybe it was just nice to have a change of pace for once. I'm reading the Jungle now and I very much doubt there's going to be anyone in this book I feel any sort of kinship with, but I'm reading it anyway and might even enjoy it now that I've got some enthusiasm back)

GlyphGryph posted:

Honestly dude as a serious response if you really liked Catch-22 read more Kurt Vonnegut. Pretty much anything by him will do, and you can't go too far wrong reading his entire body of work.

Also Camus is good but read the Plague not the Stranger.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: I've clearly made a terrible mistake and wondered into the wrong neighbourhood, I'm sorry. Please ignore this post and everything that follows.

Suggestion: Go to the forums profiles of the people who are being dicks and click "Add user to your Ignore List." Once that's taken care of, name some books you like and some books you don't like so we can start suggesting some cool books to you.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly dude as a serious response if you really liked Catch-22 read more Kurt Vonnegut. Pretty much anything by him will do, and you can't go too far wrong reading his entire body of work.

Seconding this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

treasureplane posted:

Suggestion: Go to the forums profiles of the people who are being dicks and click "Add user to your Ignore List." Once that's taken care of, name some books you like and some books you don't like so we can start suggesting some cool books to you.

Ignore everyone who is a dick in the literature thread

*thread becomes 1 page long*

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the thread called Quit Being a loving Child should be nicer

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

treasureplane posted:

You should actually just ignore blue squares, that mel pokemon guy, and the person that posted the 8,000 words about why the harry potter character is an anti hero.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

emdash posted:

I love that book and even when I only get 200-400 pages into a reread, I feel like I got something out of it

Good luck to you :)

I'm kind of burned out on the second half of it and the Reef-Cyprian-Yashmeen love triangle on top of the dozen other characters having individual plots is getting exhausting to mentally sort through. That said, it's worth it for the occasional moments of weird brilliance.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really like Pynchon and he is a delight to read, but his books suffer from cartoon characters. It makes it hard to stay invested in the story because there are no real stakes and it seems like he makes his point early on and then just keeps making it again and again. The exception is Mason and Dixon, mostly.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

I really like Pynchon and he is a delight to read, but his books suffer from cartoon characters. It makes it hard to stay invested in the story because there are no real stakes and it seems like he makes his point early on and then just keeps making it again and again. The exception is Mason and Dixon, mostly.

lol wtf

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pynchon doesn't write characters that behave in a realistic way. He isn't interested in that. His characters are plot devices used to explore his ideas about fiction and conspiracies and whatnot, not to explore humanity.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't put anyone on ignore or flee a thread because one bonehead was rude to you imo

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

At Swim-Two-Birds is genuinely brilliant and I don't know why I haven't read it before.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh is about college students in college. And The First Verse is good and a little creepy. It is also about college students. Neither prominently feature professors.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

At Swim-Two-Birds is genuinely brilliant and I don't know why I haven't read it before.

It's insanely good and should probably be required reading for posting in this thread.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Well-known, alas, is the case of the poor German who was very fond of three and who made each aspect of his life a thing of triads. He went home one evening and drank three cups of tea with three lumps of sugar in each cup, cut his jugular with a razor three times and scrawled with a dying hand on a picture of his wife good-bye, good-bye, good-bye. is actually the best ending of any book ever written probably except maybe Ferdydurke

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That reminds me is the Dalkey Archive worth a read? People only ever seem to talk about At Swim-Two-Birds and Third Policeman

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

It's insanely good and should probably be required reading for posting in this thread.

I've only read Third Policeman which I liked but I also felt I didn't do it justice because I was on vacation and getting drunk and reading on the beach a lot

(next time I am drunk on the beach reading I'm gonna reread Mr. Palomar especially the part where he gets embarrassed staring at beach boobies)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

blue squares posted:

the thread called Quit Being a loving Child should be nicer

It's not called that, it's called Quit loving a Child so you know we're all dicks.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I've only read Third Policeman which I liked but I also felt I didn't do it justice because I was on vacation and getting drunk and reading on the beach a lot

(next time I am drunk on the beach reading I'm gonna reread Mr. Palomar especially the part where he gets embarrassed staring at beach boobies)

Third Policeman isn't as good, but that's only because At Swim-Two-Birds is close to perfect.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

Pynchon doesn't write characters that behave in a realistic way. He isn't interested in that. His characters are plot devices used to explore his ideas about fiction and conspiracies and whatnot, not to explore humanity.

oh, this is part of this continuing wrongness:

blue squares posted:

A good story is a lot more important than a deep examination of what it means to be human

rather than a de novo wrongness, sorry. i will respect your self-consistency on this matter.

CestMoi posted:

That reminds me is the Dalkey Archive worth a read? People only ever seem to talk about At Swim-Two-Birds and Third Policeman

The Dalkey Archive has some good bits iirc (it's been a while), but there are also some jokes/sections reused from Third Policeman. It's certainly not as good as At Swim-Two-Birds.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How is my assessment of Pynchon's characters wrong? In which of his works besides Mason and Dixon does he have characters that resemble real people? I still like Pynchon a lot, but I don't think he tries to write real people.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i mean, yes, right, there's not really a lot of meat on most of his protagonists generally (like, could you pick oedipa maas out of a crowd?), but i think there is a lot of strong characterization in pynchon. like, the segment in GR with pökler and the annual visits to meet his daughter i think works as a character piece just as much as it works as a piece about paranoia and denial and so on.

my main objection is to this:

blue squares posted:

It makes it hard to stay invested in the story because there are no real stakes and it seems like he makes his point early on and then just keeps making it again and again.

which a) does not seem to follow from complaints of thin/cartoon/oversized characterization (of which pynchon has been guilty of all three, i will grant you: q.v. prairie/takeshi/dl respectively from vineland) and b) i have heard pynchon accused of being many things, but conceptually narrow in scope is not one of them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

which a) does not seem to follow from complaints of thin/cartoon/oversized characterization (of which pynchon has been guilty of all three, i will grant you: q.v. prairie/takeshi/dl respectively from vineland)
To me, narrative stakes come from being invested in a character's fate and hoping for a certain outcome. Essentially, forgetting that you're reading fiction. When it doesn't matter whether the character succeeds, lives/dies, etc., there's nothing to draw the reader in to that place where fiction stops being fiction. So I think it can be easy to put down his books and not come back for a while/at all because they only please the intellectual side of the reader, not the emotional (except on some occasions).

Tree Goat posted:

and b) i have heard pynchon accused of being many things, but conceptually narrow in scope is not one of them.

You're right. That was a dumb comment and I take it back

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
as an apology for sincerely posting about pynchon, here's

Pynchon, Bleeding Edge, pg. 69 no less posted:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this to you but it's obvious you already knew it. I think if Pynchon could ever be convinced to speak about his writing (or, you know, anything at all), he would evince very interesting ideas about the purpose and methods of characterization.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mdemone posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this to you but it's obvious you already knew it. I think if Pynchon could ever be convinced to speak about his writing (or, you know, anything at all), he would evince very interesting ideas about the purpose and methods of characterization.

The closest you'll get is the preamble to Slow Learner. He basically tears apart everything he wrote. "It's all poo poo, and here's why it's poo poo, but read it anyway so you can learn from my mistakes."

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Anyone here read/see any of Brecht's plays? I just picked up The Caucasian Chalk Circle since I've heard so much about his work in my theatre classes, but I haven't started reading it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Tree Goat posted:

as an apology for sincerely posting about pynchon, here's

Leet gamer culture. Makes me want to not read any Pynchon.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 11, 2016