Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'd be more concerned about the coils not being able to breathe, the roof slopes away after all, is there at least a foot in-between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yah it's more than a foot. My AC is the one on the right side, his is way closer but I don't really care about that.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It'll be fine. This thing's handle getting wet extremely well. If anything it'll probably help it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ExplodingSims posted:

It'll be fine. This thing's handle getting wet extremely well. If anything it'll probably help it.

Great thanks!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this shed my neighbour built. Our lots are pretty close together and it's aligned with my air conditioner. I'm concerned that it might direct an excess amount of water towards it but I really don't know if I have anything to worry about.

If you wanted to make a giant stink, you could look into local codes... many places have really specific restrictions on building things like sheds: requirements for setbacks from property lines, not being directly attached to the main house/building, etc. This could very well violate all sorts of code, but as other people have said, I don't think it will really impact your A/C. I'd be more worried about the fire hazard :)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
X-posting from my E/N Thread about poo poo roommates.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779396

Forceholy posted:

So my roommate is going to get us kicked out of the apartment.

I live in a two bedroom that is a five minute walk from CSUN, a four year college we all attend with three other people. Two of my roommates share a bedroom. One roommate, which I will refer to as O, gets his own room and I sleep in the living room with deeply discounted rent. We just moved in last year and it was a pretty sweet deal. A five-minute walk to class as well as to my On-Campus job? Sign me up.

Recently, O got this idea into his head that he could build a new room in the living room as he paid enough rent and lived there long enough (since 2013). We all thought he was joking until I woke up this morning to find half the living room converted into a single bedroom (I slept in the other room since one of the roommates isn't home much due to his job). The room is so large, it eats up half the space of the living room and even cuts into the kitchen. When the two roommates and myself complained to O, he told us to gently caress off and to look for a new place to live. Apparently, he claims to know enough lawyer friends and building inspectors that it is within his right to modify the apartment however he wants. He claims that if something does happen, he'll be blamed since the apartment is under his name (Nevermind that all of our names are on our lease). I've decided to talk to my manager about this and to look for a new place.

So my question is how hosed am I when I talk to my manager about what my roommate did?

Forceholy posted:

The bright white spot is where the kitchen ends. You have to walk around the room to get to it.

Space of about 7 feet.

The inside. Nothing but a bench and a shoestand in here for now. They belong to my roommate doing this. Fun Fact: My roommate would hardly use this bench and only use it as a tool, along with a seldom used surfboard to woo highly-impressionable girls.

The light switch to the kitchen is INSIDE THE ROOM.

I'll post a few more in the daylight. Apparently, he had a few interested buyers today. It's funny since he wants to be a real estate agent after this!

Forceholy posted:

Here's some more pictures.

The entryway

The whole thing itself

"it doesn't touch the roof so it's up to code! Hurr hurr"

Anyway, I just got back from talking to a lawyer and his advice sounded a lot like what you guys are posting now. I need to let the landlord know. Hopefully he's in today. I tried to contact him yesterday, but he wasn't in for the day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Teketeketeketeke posted:

If you wanted to make a giant stink, you could look into local codes... many places have really specific restrictions on building things like sheds: requirements for setbacks from property lines, not being directly attached to the main house/building, etc. This could very well violate all sorts of code, but as other people have said, I don't think it will really impact your A/C. I'd be more worried about the fire hazard :)

I'd be more worried about him beating the poo poo out of your coils putting stuff in and out of it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Forceholy posted:

:stare: holy poo poo, this is one of the reasons people buy, even if renting is sometimes cheaper. Living with other humans is the worst, especially if they're spergin' like this guy's roommate.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanks guys, I don't want to make a big stink but if my coils get banged up I'll need to do something about it. I'll take some photos of my AC this weekend.

The shed is only for tires so it should only be used twice a year and I think he would be somewhat careful with it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I see ac in much tighter gaps here, but if you really care, build a little hut for your ac.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

peanut posted:

I see ac in much tighter gaps here, but if you really care, build a little hut for your ac.

This is a great way to fry your compressor!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not like walls just a little roof and four corner posts for "shed door bumpers"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Even still, unless you put the roof 4-5' up your still just going to cause all the hot air to recirculate back through the coil.

So you'll need to blow all the air out the bottom. May I suggest remounting it like so:

:shepface:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this shed my neighbour built. Our lots are pretty close together and it's aligned with my air conditioner. I'm concerned that it might direct an excess amount of water towards it but I really don't know if I have anything to worry about.

Does your property line run along the edge of the gravel 6" from the shed? There has never been a better time for you to build a giant pink spite fence.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just put in a fence post dead center on the shed.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah that's the property line. Spite fence would be pretty great. Also, their entire back yard is poured concrete. I don't think they like grass... or water drainage.
Bonus points: those two windows that face each other are the dinettes. So we can open our curtains and spite-stare at each other during breakfast.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 10, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does your property line run along the edge of the gravel 6" from the shed? There has never been a better time for you to build a giant pink spite fence.

They're both guilty of building within 1' of the fence line. They'd both suffer equally.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

EngineerJoe posted:

Finally got to the end of this thread, and as a fixer, I'll opine:

99% of the water off the shed roof is going to come straight down off the roof and bounce off the gravel and onto the bottom of the untreated wood of the shed, rotting it quickly.

.5% of the water off the shed roof is going to be blown onto the the untreated wood of the shed, rotting it quickly.

.5% of the water off the shed roof is going to hit your A/C during earth-ending storms, but the A/C won't care.

Worst case is the bottom front of the shed rots in 10 years and it topples gently into the A/C.

So you should lose sleep until you can raise the condenser like your neighbor has so you have space for your recycle bins too.

Edited to ask, what location? Annual rain? How much, and what, does the neighbor recycle? How happy are you that they made a termite magnet shed?

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 10, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Forceholy posted:

If the walls aren't connected to anything, what' to stop you from just going on a Kool-aid bender and smashing through them?

Also you said he had interested buyers? Is he trying to rent this windowless, drywall box out? Is there an actual listing and is the tumblr that collected people trying to sublet their crawl spaces and garden sheds still going?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Forceholy posted:

I'm trying to imagine the psychiatric malfunction that could make that seem like a good idea and I just can't.

Can you imagine what the guy must be like to work with?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm trying to imagine the psychiatric malfunction that could make that seem like a good idea and I just can't.

Can you imagine what the guy must be like to work with?

entitled college kid with no respect, sense of reality and full of Brilliant ideas I dont get because I'm an old?

yup

.. I think you might be optimistic in thinking that fucker works WITH anyone.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Forceholy posted:

Talk to your landlord and a lawyer ASAP. Horrible things will get more horrible the longer you delay on this.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

entitled college kid with no respect, sense of reality and full of Brilliant ideas I dont get because I'm an old?

yup

.. I think you might be optimistic in thinking that fucker works WITH anyone.

Pretty much. He actually has a Masters and works as a career councilor for a non-profit thanks to his sister, who is his boss. He wants to quit that job and get his real estate license. He claims he has a lot of investors waiting for him to get his license and also constantly claims that he will be "driving Maseratis and rubbing shoulders with rich Armenians in no time."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Talk to your landlord and a lawyer ASAP. Horrible things will get more horrible the longer you delay on this.

I already talked to a lawyer and he told me to talk to the landlord. I've been trying to get ahold of the landlord, but he wasn't in yesterday. I'm trying my luck again today.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

When I rented a place in college, I helped my roommate frame in and drywall a new room in our apartment, and in return he covered my rent for two months. :smug:

he was the landlord

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If we're coming clean about poo poo living conditions while in college I also blocked off a 5' wide entryway to a TV room to make a sleeping space. It was meant to be temporary and ended up lasting for a year and a half. After living in hooches on deployments with sheets for walls I just didn't care, even though it looked like something you'd see under a bridge.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah I helped this guy build that because he was previously living in a closet in his own home.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I saw this happen before

http://time.com/4274323/san-francisco-pod/

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Well, I finally got a hold of the landlord and let her know. She was not happy at all. Apparently, she's gonna sic building inspections on the apartment and get to the bottom of this. She sounded absolutely furious at O for pulling this kind of bullshit. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but at least I got the ball rolling.

We're supposed to have a roommate meeting about this today. This is gonna be fun.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

holy poo poo i laughed out loud at the landing image

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The best part is that you think that by doing the right thing that the landlord won't gently caress all of you equally. I'd start packing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Chemmy posted:

The best part is that you think that by doing the right thing that the landlord won't gently caress all of you equally. I'd start packing.

I know. I've already started looking for a new place.

E: the lawyer I talked to even told me that there is a very good chance that I will be liable for damages and I should probably look for a new place, but the landlord still needed to know.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That all seems about right, I'm glad you're aware of it. I'd probably talk to your roommates without the guy who built the structure because you'll all probably want to sue him in small claims court for the damages he's about to do to you.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Forceholy posted:

I know. I've already started looking for a new place.

E: the lawyer I talked to even told me that there is a very good chance that I will be liable for damages and I should probably look for a new place, but the landlord still needed to know.

If you don't get sued your lawyer doesn't have work, does he

edit: or she

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 11, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Shifty Pony posted:

Air conditioning rules but I really don't understand the people that keep it cranked to insanely low temperatures. Here in Texas unless you have a medical condition you should be able to deal with 85 degrees no problem so why on earth do people keep their A/C set to 72 all day? I hear people complain about $300-$400 per month electric bills sometimes.

On the flip side natural gas is so loving cheap here there isn't an economic reason to not have your house at tropical island temperatures all winter.

85F ? The hell you say. If I had my druthers, I'd have my house at 60F year round. I just can't afford it in the summer and my wife won't put up with it in the winter. I loved my server room at my old company that had two roof top units for a room that was about 200 square feet. These were full size units meant to cover several thousand square feet. I could keep it at 58 degrees year round easy. Even with a dozen servers packed in like sardines and a gaggle of routers and phone equipment. It was awesome.

If I don't need a coat, then it's too warm.

For Crappy Construction content: That room had a drain hole drilled in the center as the A/C units would sometimes ice up and I'd have to mop up gallons of water. The water ran into a crawlspace between the floors that you could only access through a 2ft high panel half way up a metal staircase in the warehouse. It was fun. Spiders were involved. Less mice than you'd expect. I assume the spiders ate them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

frozenpussy posted:

If you don't get sued your lawyer doesn't have work, does he

edit: or she

If his name's on the lease, he's on the hook.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sue the roommate

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

If his name's on the lease, he's on the hook.

Clearly the only solution is burn the place down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

frozenpussy posted:

:agreed:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

frozenpussy posted:

Fill the roommate with expanding foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

LonsomeSon posted:

Fill the roommate with expanding foam.

fill him with caulk