Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes, but you could also just glue the stickers on with a glue stick or something.

I'm not sure how well that would work? It's more that the foil stickers are small and much more delicate than the regular ones. Any that aren't completely inset (notably the ones that go on the back of the knees) are liable to begin flaking off around the edges. Unless they are only flaking because the edges catch on stuff and lightly lift, and then the resulting crease flakes off a bit of foil. I'll have to do a test with some scrap foil sticker.

Maybe next time I'll make sure I don't put *any* of the potentially-problematic ones on unless the model is already disassembled and ready for clear coating (although, I'm still waiting for my acrylic-based top coat to come in the mail)

Sazabi posted:

You might have better luck looking for that stuff at a Michael's or other general arts and crafts store than a regular model shop. I've personally starred doing reverse washing and generally painting my kits whenever I can to avoid stickers. With the exception of the eyes decals. (Maybe I'll post some examples later). But yeah those RG sticker sheets were a nightmare for me too. At least the destiny was.

Good call about the craft store. I'm sure adhesive foils like this exist, but I don't know the "proper" name---browsing an actual store would probably help. I ordered a bunch of painting supplies so that I can hopefully give that a try in the future--whichever HG model I just assembled real quick had a bunch of large stickers that just colored filled areas, and painting would definitely look much better.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was doing weathering on my rg z'gok and his propeller back pack things just snapped off his back. I barely even handled those.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Sometimes the fit is off on some kits. My Genoace II had the same thing, I plugged the backpack and when I tried to remove it the pegs snapped off clean. It was a cool oportunity to replace them with brass rods though.

Unrelated, but team-built stuff like this here MG Sinanju make me glad I don't have one, as it would look like feces compared to it. It also means I'll never even attempt to build one so that's a load off

http://u2360.tistory.com/

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Hey. I've already built six or seven kits already (all HGUC because I'm a massive nerd and can't really stop myself from making my wallet weep like a red-headed bastard step-child when daddy's been drinking :shepicide: ) and was looking for some feedback; I usually just go OOB, but this time I wanted to dip my toes into the waters of using Gundam Markers, specifically the paint ones. Here's my latest build with the results of my...experiments: http://imgur.com/a/0QqCG

Here's all the kits I've yet to build; maybe you guys can point me to what I should build next: http://imgur.com/a/lpJ0p

Yes, those are bins full of HGUC kits. Yes, my closet is a mess. Yes, I really need to stop faffing about and get some sort of cabinet/shelving units installed so I can display my kits properly. Yes, I do really have an MG MSG Origin Gundam, freshly picked from Barnes and Noble.

Thoughts? Concerns? Questions about why I even bother? Let 'em rip, people!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Barnes and Noble sells gundam kits?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah they started selling them in the middle of last year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Not all of them, but many of them do. Mostly Wing and IBO stuff at the moment but they have carried G-Reco and Build Fighters in the past. The occasional CE and UC kits sneak into the assortment too.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
You're fine in terms of your backlog; I don't think it even cracks top 10 in this thread. :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
top tier backlog solution: give them all to me, all of them, all the plastic bits and bobs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HereticMIND posted:

Hey. I've already built six or seven kits already (all HGUC because I'm a massive nerd and can't really stop myself from making my wallet weep like a red-headed bastard step-child when daddy's been drinking :shepicide: ) and was looking for some feedback; I usually just go OOB, but this time I wanted to dip my toes into the waters of using Gundam Markers, specifically the paint ones. Here's my latest build with the results of my...experiments: http://imgur.com/a/0QqCG

Here's all the kits I've yet to build; maybe you guys can point me to what I should build next: http://imgur.com/a/lpJ0p

Yes, those are bins full of HGUC kits. Yes, my closet is a mess. Yes, I really need to stop faffing about and get some sort of cabinet/shelving units installed so I can display my kits properly. Yes, I do really have an MG MSG Origin Gundam, freshly picked from Barnes and Noble.

The Guncannon revive is a fast build that looks really good, really easy, and poses like a dream. Plus, it's Kai's mobile suit.

Either build it now, or as a reward after another kit turns out to be a massive pain in the rear end.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

HereticMIND posted:

Alternate between zeon and fed, but start with that GM cannon 2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hobbysearch are discounting a tiny handful of kits in their sale: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/762/0/1?sold=1

1/100 Kimaris for 30% off, though.

Also, the new RD Char's Zaku II for 50% off, which is really nice if you like RD: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10355206

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

Unrelated, but team-built stuff like this here MG Sinanju make me glad I don't have one, as it would look like feces compared to it. It also means I'll never even attempt to build one so that's a load off

http://u2360.tistory.com/

It's super good but I keep seeing NOE ZEON on the base.

Edit: I just did hella spraying Vallejo PU Matte varnish and it went on the best its ever done and drat gunpla and solvents are good as heck.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 8, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm almost done with this dude here. I have been enjoying doing the weathering, and I am thinking of adding some rust to him.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I like it. I don't think it needs rust though since it's supposed to be prepped for amphibious warfare. Maybe some liiiiiiiight tiny signs of rusting around the rivets and edges?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ka0 posted:

I like it. I don't think it needs rust though since it's supposed to be prepped for amphibious warfare. Maybe some liiiiiiiight tiny signs of rusting around the rivets and edges?

Yeah I like that idea. My problem is that when I'm weathering I think something is way too subtle and I will begin to really over do it. So I think light rust might look really cool.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
What solvents can I use to thin Tamiya putty?

EDIT: Looks like acetone or lacquer thinner might be the ticket

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 9, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Rob posted:

My problem is that when I'm weathering I think something is way too subtle and I will begin to really over do it.

weathering.txt

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ's second round of sales went up. This time it's sci-fi kits, which includes a whole bunch of Kotobukiya stuff.

Edit: good luck buying anything though, as the store is getting the poo poo hammered out of it at the moment :f5:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HLJ's second round of sales went up. This time it's sci-fi kits, which includes a whole bunch of Kotobukiya stuff.

Edit: good luck buying anything though, as the store is getting the poo poo hammered out of it at the moment :f5:.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been slow about picking up anything Zoids because I've been eh on the prices, but 10 bux for a Robokong/15 bux for a nice looking doge is perfect for trying out!

I also picked up an Aura Battle Dunbine on the grounds that I remembered from SRW that they're a neat concept and the fact that they're literally 7 dollars right now, I noticed that it's a reissue from 2000 so I'm hoping to at least get GM1 quality from it.

....and two of the weird Frame Robo things, which basically look like Transformers Minicon-quality four-point articulated things, but at 2 dollars they looked cool enough to toss in :v:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 9, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I've been slow about picking up anything Zoids because I've been eh on the prices, but 10 bux for a Robokong/15 bux for a nice looking doge is perfect for trying out!

I also picked up an Aura Battle Dunbine on the grounds that I remembered from SRW that they're a neat concept and the fact that they're literally 7 dollars right now, I noticed that it's a reissue from 2000 so I'm hoping to at least get GM1 quality from it.

I also picked up two of the weird Frame Robo things, which basically look like Transformers Minicon-quality four-point articulated things, but at 2 dollars they looked cool enough to toss in :v:

I wasn't planning to buy anything in the sale, but somehow a Kotobukiya HAW-206 (the big spider tank from the second episode of GITS:SAC) materialized in my shopping cart, and my bank account's now missing $90 :ohdear:. The funny thing is the shipping worked out to be cheaper to go with EMS than SAL on it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't planning to buy anything in the sale, but somehow a Kotobukiya HAW-206 (the big spider tank from the second episode of GITS:SAC) materialized in my shopping cart, and my bank account's now missing $90 :ohdear:. The funny thing is the shipping worked out to be cheaper to go with EMS than SAL on it.

If I had throw-at-toys money like that, I'd definitely have picked it up too, it looks awesome and I can't wait to see how yours turns out (5 months from now when they get around to shipping it)!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

JESUS.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Haha, okay that's pretty great.

I wonder if we'll see a 1/100 METEOR at this rate.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Haha, okay that's pretty great.

I wonder if we'll see a 1/100 METEOR Dendrobium at this rate.

:kheldragar:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What is that thing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

What is that thing?

The GN Arms for Exia.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

What is that thing?

GN ARMS

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I finally got what I needed to replace the leg that exploded on my Wing Gundam, so now I could actually reassemble the drat thing. It still needs some cleanup and a top coat (idk, maybe semi-gloss?). It still looks pretty bad, but not as bad as it could have been for my first time. Maybe I'll skip the top coat and just keep using this for loving around and trying out new things

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp may need to buy my third mg exia.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Personally though, I'd rather have the Type-D than the Type-E. Mainly since then they'd have to make an MG-style Dynames to go with it and, let's be honest, that would be the best thing possible.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This is in all likelihood a straight upscaling of the HG, so they could probably do that too. Exia's way more popular though, so yeah.

Also a 1/100 GN-Arms D could just be used for the 1/100 Dynames.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I do have a 1/100 Dynames, but it's also the first kit I ever got so it's pretty rough. I guess that'd be inspiration to fix it up though.

Also, if that's their prototype, that's definitely not an upscale of the 1/100. It has the same footholds as the MG FAUC transport craft thing, at the very least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone built Char's Origin Zaku II? I'm debating between getting it or the RG version. Right now it's a matter of price. The main point of contention apart from that is the head sculpt, because I really like the RG Zaku II sculpt over the HGUC head sculpt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So that big red switchblade-Gundam from the IBO side story that's getting released? That's apparently what the Astaroth originally looked like.

Well, it makes sense in retrospect, since the heads are pretty similar and that's apparently the only original part of the modern Astaroth, but I still did not see that coming.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone built Char's Origin Zaku II? I'm debating between getting it or the RG version. Right now it's a matter of price. The main point of contention apart from that is the head sculpt, because I really like the RG Zaku II sculpt over the HGUC head sculpt.

It. Is. Gorgeous. It has the usual Zaku issues, but in the end it looks absolutely incredible, and I'm not even getting into the rifle and bazooka that come with it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It rules, and the giant sniper rifle rules.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's the only Zaku model I've ever bought and it's one of my favorite kits in general. it looks awesome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2015/08/p-bandai-hg-1144-prototype-gouf-msd.html

Goddamn. If this keeps up I might as well label my collection the Gouf Troop and occasional other mobile suit. I wish I could paint as well as that, but a Gouf with a gun! And if it wasn't a sold out exclusive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Part 3 of HLJ's sale is up and it includes Gundam kits :retrogames:.