Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005

I love Doppo.

He has his own offshoot series, but I only read the first one. In it he cures a man's blindness, then pokes his drat eyes out before of course going on to kick another man in the testicles (but not hard enough to destroy them, which the man thanks him for later).

I hope he shows up more in Baki-Dou.

edit: shoot off != off shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I didn't know there was a Doppo gaiden.

also

http://spinybackmanga.com/?manga=Baki+Dou&chapter=Chapter+94+Warrior#page=1

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Jack not being able to kick through a little pussy knife is loving bullshit.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

K. Flaps posted:

Jack not being able to kick through a little pussy knife is loving bullshit.

I have a strong feeling you're really not going to enjoy the next few chapters! Never in a million years would the old Motobe utterly destroy Jack Hanma, but that's (unfortunately) what we're seeing today. On the bright side, it seems like Musashi will put an end to Motobe's smugness.

It's almost as if Itagaki is writing his current manga and asking (or perhaps, telling?) the reader to totally disregard what we know about his previous work.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 8, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone link the scan for more doppo gaiden cause i only found scans for the first chapter where he murders a guy who fought yujiro's dad (the latter threw the match )

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Look at how well this muscular baby takes a punch.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Psycho dwarf is so cool! I love psycho dwarf.

New chapter of Scarface shows an old friend we haven't seen in a long time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

This muscle man can also take a punch.

Maybe the key to taking a punch is to relax and have a good time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Chapter 95

:stonk: Those teeth pages

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Jack's dentist is going to be pissed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jack is gonna learn from this and get the titanium teeth from Jaws

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
This is stupid.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Jack is gonna learn from this and get the titanium teeth from Jaws

This would be so good. I hope he gets a titanium jaw, too. Yes, I understand that body armor is a logical counter to biting. But this is Baki, so I want it to work anyway. That's how the series is supposed to work, isn't it? Jack already lost most of his mouth when he was battling with Pickle. The poor bastard has been through a lot of dental work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He only got flayed by pickle. At this point all the insane surgery he went through and his fights should have made him impervious to pain.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He only got flayed by pickle. At this point all the insane surgery he went through and his fights should have made him impervious to pain.

Nah, Pickle busted up Jack's entire face. And really badly, too.

Maybe the author was playing Mortal Kombat when he was illustrating their fight. It looks like Pickle's X-ray move. But I agree, Jack should be nearly impervious to pain at this point, or at least much stronger than what we've seen vs. Motobe.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
ANONSPORE, GOON, 29

I couldn't believe my eyes. To think that such a thing was possible... For a moment I just stared, trying to make sense of it all. That was when I understood.

*lifts a glass of water with one shaking hand and takes a hasty sip*

It was that, you know. They hadn't realized it all this time... That everyone in Baki is only as weak or strong as the story in Itagaki's mind requires them to be!

[End flashforward]

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

ANONSPORE, GOON, 29

I couldn't believe my eyes. To think that such a thing was possible... For a moment I just stared, trying to make sense of it all. That was when I understood.

It was that, you know. They hadn't realized it all this time... That everyone in Baki is only as weak or strong as the story in Itagaki's mind requires them to be!

[End flashforward]

knai

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

rip

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AnonSpore posted:

ANONSPORE, GOON, 29

[End flashforward]

it would be cool af if you could get us caught up to the current translations. i don't like being this far behind.

is any more of baki getting an anime?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 96 is out!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
How is Motobe absorbing all that damage?

His body should be pulp by now.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
Has Jack done anything interesting since the big tournament where he revealed he was the Ogre's son?

I mean, all I remember him doing after that is getting laid the gently caress out by Pickle and Baki breaking it to him that Pickle didn't even consider him a threat. Not saying that means he's a pushover now or anything but has he won any fights since the tournament? Or done anything other than take lots and lots of drugs? poo poo didn't one of the convicts wreck his poo poo too? I honestly can't remember anymore.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He beat the poo poo out of Siekovski or whatever the Russian convict was called. He also beat the poo poo out of Ali Jr.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Doppo and old aikido man both got their rear end kicked by Ali Jr. the first time they fought him but Jack straight up destroyed him.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I'm glad you guys mentioned when Jack destroyed Ali Jr. That was one of his better fights, and I suppose you could say New Grappler Baki features Jack's glory days. Then again, Ali Jr. fought Jack bare-handed, using primarily boxing techniques. Motobe is armed to the teeth with weapons and body armor. It's a different kind of fight, I guess? Even with body armor, I don't understand how Motobe endured Jack's most recent onslaught. We can say for sure that Motobe can take a punch much better than Ali Jr.

Also, Baki Dou Chapter 113 (Korean) is out!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jack could have just grabbed Motobe and headbutted him until his skull was shattered like Oliva did with that chinese dude

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Very true, Oliva vs. Rahon was awesome. I loved his "pocket trick," and of course, Oliva's own version.

One of the best fights in the Chinese tournament.

It's interesting that Baki later used a similar full-body headbutt while fighting against Oliva, but that may just be a coincidence.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
My Fist----><----Anti Jack Crew.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The whole gimmick of the series is the fighters like eating guns and calling tanks child's toys and stuff, it's extremely weird and off brand for anyone to care about or be impacted by weapons, armor, etc. even earlier in this arc Mushashis ultimate sword power up was... Not using a sword.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://spinybackmanga.com/?manga=Baki+Dou&chapter=Chapter+097+Choice#page=1

did anyone call godzilla for the next opponent?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The godzilla could be the only thing in this universe powerful enough to eat Motobe and restore balance to the Baki universe.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Work Friend Keven posted:

The whole gimmick of the series is the fighters like eating guns and calling tanks child's toys and stuff, it's extremely weird and off brand for anyone to care about or be impacted by weapons, armor, etc. even earlier in this arc Mushashis ultimate sword power up was... Not using a sword.

I agree, the author has been extremely inconsistent when dealing with weapons, and what their role in the series is. Back when Baki went to prison, he demonstrated that he could take out a group of guards faster than they could shoot him with their assault rifles. Before that, he kidnapped President Bush right in front of the secret service, and they couldn't do anything about it. Their weapons were useless.

Other examples include:
Oliva can tank a shotgun blast, Yujiro can take on an entire military force with ease, and Hanayama can crush a pistol with his vice grip. One of the convicts, Speck, purposefully shot a pistol through his mouth to show that it did nothing. The same convict later killed a squad of fully trained police equipped with body armor and weapons.

I always thought the conclusion of Son of Ogre was supposed to show that the world that monsters (like Baki and Yujiro) existed, since there was so much hype about seeing the "strongest living beings" fight. They were supposed to surpass the need for weapons entirely, or at least that's always been Yujiro's whole gimmick. They even directly indicted this point, when an archaeologist discovered the Hanma "Demon" motif on the wall of a pyramid. It was an ancient image of one man (a Yujiro-like figure), surrounded by hundreds of weapons. He was positioned in a way that suggested he was the top of the food chain, and the dominant force of the time period.

But all of this stuff was apparently abandoned in Baki Dou. Motobe "defeated" Baki by simply drawing a knife on him in one of the early chapters. It makes no sense, and it also means people like Jack Hanma get thrown under the bus, since weapons are fashionable once again.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

those were all relatively untrained people. motobe is specifically trained to use weapons and cheap tricks. its not that odd even if motobe sucks and needs to be eaten by godzilla

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Considering the arc boss is a dude known for being really loving good at using weapons it makes sense that weapons being used skillfully (where skillfully means "devoted your entire life to" rather than "trained for a long time") is being sold as a good and cool thing. Now whether it's good that Motobe is the one being chosen to sell this (along with Musashi, of course) is a topic for discussion. Basically, does Motobe, a man who has dedicated his life to studying battle just like everyone else has dedicated theirs to punching mans, deserve to be respected as a force in this arc where the final boss is being presented as the master of battle. I think it definitely coulda been set up better, but as an idea it works.

Also Jedah you missed out on the best example of Baki World fighters' view on weapons: back in the Kaioh fight arc when they visit China Retsu and his old master are talking about Yuujirou, and Retsu describes him as something like "Imagine of all the great weapons and technology of the modern world were turned against the martial arts of China" and then his master takes a sip of tea and goes, "So, a crushing victory for us martial artists" and Retsu smiles and goes "Naturally." :allears:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

retsu himself uses weapons a bunch

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
Another idea that keeps showing up with the Motobe-arc is that there is a difference between a martial artist and a warrior. All the other Z-fighters (Jack, Baki, Doppo, etc) are all fighting for sport. They practice martial arts in an attempt to be stronger than everyone else. However, Motobe is different. Motobe is a warrior; he goes for the kill. It's life or death for him, instead of just sport fighting. While the Z-fighters might kill if necessary, warriors like Motobe and Musashi lived or died by their abilities.

This shows up in a big way with Musashi vs. Yuujiro. When I first read the comic I thought, Why the hell did they stop fighting when Motobe jumped in? But it comes back to sport. Motobe screwed up the fight, it was no longer a 'fair match', and it had to be called for the time being. Now, in Motobe's head he is worried that since everyone will challenge Musashi, he is going to end up killing everyone cause the Musashi style isn't "fight to win" it's "fight to kill." Whether he is right or not is yet to be seen.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
They just spent 200 issues being eaten by a caveman after a decade of every character in the series explaining that they do real fighting while casually fish hooking entire boxing gyms somehow. Half the characters in the series are gang warlords or one man WMDs for the United States government.

Like I understand what the author is trying to do but after all this time it's kind of late to reveal that the true, true, true fighting is actually throwing smoke bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
It's pretty jarring when a character whose entire reason for existence in the series is to get dunked on by Yujiro starts taking out fan favorite characters. Also Yujiro spent the entire first 3 series murdering people for no reason so I don't get the whole "he doesn't fight to kill" argument