Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Fill the roommate with expanding foam.

Make him into a load-bearing member of his new room's wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Forceholy posted:

The only think keeping the walls stable are a couple of 2 x 4s screwed to the Walls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loadbearing Free-standing drywall

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didn't grover do something like that with like rubber joints on the top and bottom

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SynthOrange posted:

Loadbearing Free-standing drywall

Load-bearing load, inceptionhaus

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Every day, when he's not around, push them over.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

What's this guy's major?

edit: I'll just ask in that guy's thread

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some guy in Stupid/Small Questions megathread asked about how to hang pictures in his apartment. He believed it was drywall directly on top of a concrete wall.

Grundulum posted:

So, I took a penny nail and started poking into the wallpaper. Turns out the wallpaper is directly on top of the concrete. I think it's easier to move the heavier frames to a different wall, and just use tons of Command Strips on the few lighter frames. Unless someone has additional ideas that don't involve drilling into the concrete.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Some guy in Stupid/Small Questions megathread asked about how to hang pictures in his apartment. He believed it was drywall directly on top of a concrete wall.

I lived in an old apartment that had some variety of plaster directly on the concrete/block wall between groups of units. You'd poke a nail in and it would be easy for 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then you would hit solid rock, basically.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

The walls that separate the two units in our duplex are drywall against the firewall, which I assume is Durok or some other kind of concrete board. Can't hang anything heavy on the north side of our home unless you want to use concrete hangers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Plaster on masonry is definitely a thing, as previously mentioned. I have it in my own house around the back door.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Living near a US town older than the US means I get to see older questionable decisions.
https://imgur.com/NEpYMnm

The second one was next to a fountain, uncovered In any way.
https://imgur.com/5MOtcUD

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I don't have any pictures, since they haven't lived there in quite a long time, but my grandparents' old house had a door to nowhere on the second floor. I'm assuming there was meant to be a balcony there but if you opened that door and went through it you would immediately fall a good distance onto the driveway.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Doors to nowhere are a big turn off for insurance companies. I am surprised they haven't been caught yet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I don't have any pictures, since they haven't lived there in quite a long time, but my grandparents' old house had a door to nowhere on the second floor. I'm assuming there was meant to be a balcony there but if you opened that door and went through it you would immediately fall a good distance onto the driveway.

Isn't/wasn't this a common feature in some parts of America for... reasons?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaethela posted:

if you opened that door and went through it you would immediately fall a good distance onto the driveway.

Technically not a door to nowhere then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought those doors were from houses that had two+ tenants with a stoop on the second door, but then when they re-convert it to a single family dwelling they remove the stoop and bob's yer uncle.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kaethela posted:

We called that the pissin' door.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Living near a US town older than the US means I get to see older questionable decisions.
https://imgur.com/NEpYMnm

the real meaning of 'suicide door'

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Those are just french balconies without the balcony part? :confused:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Full disclosure, the house next door had one of those 3" deep rails. This is in Old town Alexandria, where the median bldg was built in 1800 or so.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KARMA! posted:

Those are just french balconies without the balcony part? :confused:

Russian French balconies.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stealie72 posted:

I lived in an old apartment that had some variety of plaster directly on the concrete/block wall between groups of units. You'd poke a nail in and it would be easy for 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then you would hit solid rock, basically.

Dillbag posted:

The walls that separate the two units in our duplex are drywall against the firewall, which I assume is Durok or some other kind of concrete board. Can't hang anything heavy on the north side of our home unless you want to use concrete hangers.

kid sinister posted:

Plaster on masonry is definitely a thing, as previously mentioned. I have it in my own house around the back door.

Did none of you read what I quoted where is said it turns out there's no drywall and it was just wallpaper on top of concrete instead?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah and he changed his picture hanging plans to work around it. What do you want us to say?

My classroom is all concrete so everything has to be hung from the ceiling, it sucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

Yeah and he changed his picture hanging plans to work around it. What do you want us to say?

My classroom is all concrete so everything has to be hung from the ceiling, it sucks.

You can anchor stuff into concrete, though?

It might tick off the admins more than holes in drywall, granted.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

You can anchor stuff into concrete, though?

It might tick off the admins more than holes in drywall, granted.

Wall plugs cost like 2$ a box - can't afford them!

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Finally got up to date on this thread, and I even have content. (Although, sadly, no pictures.)

The basement apartment that my partner and I just moved out of was...*special*. Not death trap-special but we were delayed by a couple weeks on moving in because the renovations were taking longer than the landlord had expected.

What renovations? Oh, the ones to fix the water damage from (to my knowledge) a burst pipe. The whole apartment had to be redone due to the damage. But lucky us, it meant a new kitchen!
With, as we found out a few hours after move-in, no working counter outlets. The outlets for the stove and fridge worked fine, but we had to plug the microwave into one of the stove's shoulders and hook up a power bar to the other one just to have things like a working coffee maker and toaster.

And the door to the bedroom wouldn't close - someone had put in a piece of wood to cover the gap between the bedroom floor and the hallway floor that was just too tall for the door to close over it.

And the stairs down into the apartment - the only entry, by the way - had no railing and there was a chunk of subfloor missing at the bottom of one of the corners. These were stairs that *needed* a railing, too; if you tripped on your way down them, you could easily fall into the kitchen and possibly sprain or break something.

And half the living room window consisted of a plywood board nearly until winter. I don't know what my partner had to threaten the landlord with to light a fire under his butt, but we got an actual...piece of plexiglass with some pretensions of being a window, in place of the plywood.

And come winter, we found out that the heating in the bedroom didn't work properly. We had to borrow a space heater from family, so the room would be liveable. (And the plexiglass was drafty as poo poo.)

And the newly renovated kitchen? Made out of crap the landlord had kept in his shed across the way from us. I think it was the remnants from when the kitchen was originally updated, because it was 80s as hell. Complete with weirdly placed door handles. (Who puts the handle in the dead center of the door on something that you need to reach up to open?)
And we had to get our own washer and dryer so we didn't have to go to the laundromat or a relative's to have clean clothes.

The landlord knew about all this, of course. We told him as soon as possible. It's just that "as soon as possible" isn't always very quickly when he's nearly impossible to get hold of. The only time I remember him acting quick on anything was when we had water seeping up from the floorboards, and even then he just gave us a dehumidifier to deal with it until we made it clear that the issue was still happening. At which point, he took a look at the plumbing and went "oh, the electrician must not have shut off this pipe!" (what the gently caress.jpg) The issue got fixed, at least?

The only reason we stayed was that the guy had the cheapest rent in the area, and it put us close to Partner's family. Which was a desirable thing at the time, and we were working under the assumption that we'd have our property surveyed and be able to set up a mobile home on it by this time. Didn't quite turn out that way, obviously.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
And now for your viewing pleasure,

http://www.curbed.com/2013/12/12/10164870/absolutely-everything-is-wrong-with-this-indiana-house

I don't know, I think they could squeeze in a few more windows.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lime Tonics posted:

And now for your viewing pleasure,

http://www.curbed.com/2013/12/12/10164870/absolutely-everything-is-wrong-with-this-indiana-house

I don't know, I think they could squeeze in a few more windows.

And, let's be clear, the exterior is the most tasteful part of the house.

Edit: From the links:

quote:

"You can smell the mildew and the mold," said Michele Lacy, who lives next door to the east. "The house would never pass inspection. It needs to be torn down and the lot sold."

quote:

Steve Wells, who lives next door to the west, felt the need to plant "three large trees in my back yard just to block the view of Jerry's house."

And to the shock of no one, owner was a pimp.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 12, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That house is to architecture as grover is to construction

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm amazed by the execution of the design. Even if the architect and builder are the same company, whoever made all the parts fit deserves credit.

edit: However, the landscaper was apparently hired for $20 and a case of beer.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I love how when you look at the pictures in that article, every picture looks like it could be from an entirely different building to the rest. This dude's favorite architechtural style was 'Yes'.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I lost it at the cheapest carpet home depot has to offer... in the dining room. Nowhere else in the house. Dining room. This is what happens when you and designer snorting coke during the whole process. Look at the trail of grease from kitchen to the dining room table, it's beautiful.

Edit: I think that's a 7' ceiling there also.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 12, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't/wasn't this a common feature in some parts of America for... reasons?

I’ve heard “oh, that second‐floor door to nowhere is so when you have a snow bank twelve feet high you can step out onto it”, but I suspect they were pulling my leg.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard “oh, that second‐floor door to nowhere is so when you have a snow bank twelve feet high you can step out onto it”, but I suspect they were pulling my leg.

Oh definitely that's not it. No-one wants to step into a second-story-high snow bank unless they're suicidal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know they even made bunk double beds.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Huh. Okay.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If it's a commercial place, then second story door was probably used in conjunction with a hoist.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC140053.JPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Being sold as chandeliers. 75$ each.