Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

mythicknight posted:

Just finished the first Eisenhorn book, now I find myself pouring over warhammer wikis for hours to better understand the organizational structure of the Imperium and how pieces of it fit together.

This is normal, right?

I got into reading the stuff 4 years ago and still spend an unseemly amount of time looking up weapons and characters I don't yet know on the wikis. To the point that I know more about the history of the Imperium than Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
So between Ben Counter's 2009 Grey Knights and ADB's 2012 Grey Knights, did the lore for them change or does it vary between Chapters/Masters of the GK's? What I'm referring to is the fact that when working with the Adeptus Arbites against heretics in the first book, Grey Knights, the Grey Knights let them live after they had witnessed them fighting daemons (and even being present among normal men). Whereas with ADB's Grey Knights, anyone outside of the Inquisition who witnesses them in any form is put to death or mind wiped. So is the discrepancy just between the two authors' creative process, or am I missing something?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Abyss posted:

So between Ben Counter's 2009 Grey Knights and ADB's 2012 Grey Knights, did the lore for them change or does it vary between Chapters/Masters of the GK's? What I'm referring to is the fact that when working with the Adeptus Arbites against heretics in the first book, Grey Knights, the Grey Knights let them live after they had witnessed them fighting daemons (and even being present among normal men). Whereas with ADB's Grey Knights, anyone outside of the Inquisition who witnesses them in any form is put to death or mind wiped. So is the discrepancy just between the two authors' creative process, or am I missing something?
You're missing that GW is GW and consistency ist verboten.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How much do the normal Space Marine chapters know about chaos I was reading in Watson Space Marine earlier this week while I was traveling for work and one of the Fist sees some chaos poo poo and like had his mind blown and had undergo incredible ritual cleansing and bullshit do normal Marines know about this poo poo in current lore r what's up with that

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You're missing that GW is GW and consistency ist verboten.

I assumed it was a before/after thing where the Wolves made containment impossible so they gave up trying

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Counter's GK were much less malignant than even the early fluff on them, it's pretty much always been that anyone who works with them won't make it out alive or mentally intact. Ward amped it up in the 6th edition, where they just straight up slaughter a bunch of sororitas to coat their armor in their blood, that was fixed in the 7th but the company line is that they'll still gladly kill to protect their identity. I think there's a whole thing about common citizens/guard having to be culled because demons/the warp aren't supposed to be known about but unless they magically show up every time the guard encounters tainted forces, that's pretty dumb.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also from a story perspective, the GKs in Counter's books are the protagonists, so of course they're actually reasonable about it. ADB's GKs are the antagonists to the good guy Space Wolves so of course they're unreasonable assholes. :shrug:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Counter's GK were much less malignant than even the early fluff on them, it's pretty much always been that anyone who works with them won't make it out alive or mentally intact. Ward amped it up in the 6th edition, where they just straight up slaughter a bunch of sororitas to coat their armor in their blood, that was fixed in the 7th but the company line is that they'll still gladly kill to protect their identity. I think there's a whole thing about common citizens/guard having to be culled because demons/the warp aren't supposed to be known about but unless they magically show up every time the guard encounters tainted forces, that's pretty dumb.

While it was still pretty dumb, the major instance of that revolved around a massive PDF defection to Chaos and the manifestation of a Daemon Primarch who built monuments to Khorne all over the place. The circumstances were a little bit heavier than just learning that the Ruinous Powers exist.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
ADB also had to change a bunch of stuff due to changes in the GK codex (which is pretty common with GW.)

GW has gone on record regarding the inconsistencies between the stories and fluff stating that everything we read is from an unreliable narrator and that we shouldn't put much stock into one viewpoint or another. There are only a few hard and fast events in the timeline (the Emperor is in the Golden Throne, Horus instigated the Heresy, etc.) and everything else is subject to change. For all we know, the entire 40K universe is completely the imagination of an autistic boy, staring into a snowglobe.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Good find at the used book shop

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You're a fortunate man, enjoy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is indeed a great find. Deff Skwadron alone is worth that much TBH.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the responses, all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

boom boom boom posted:

I am consumed by jealousy.
ALL HAIL SLAANESH! I MUST POSSESS THOSE BOOKS

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just finished Night Lords, which was both the first Marines stuff I've read in a long while and really quite good. I've only just started reading BL stuff again so it came to my attention that I need to reread Eisenhorn and Ravenor so I can start on the new series. That aside, Night Lords was my first ADB stuff and I wanted to ask if vocal colors and shapes are ADB's writing tick or if that was just a Night Lords thing. It's not a reason not to keep reading his stuff but it always made me pause for a second.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
idk but you should read helsreach

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Nice, I've got the Titan TPB they released a couple of years ago. Still hoping they'll release the rest of the stuff from their old comics run as I'm missing some 40k stuff still.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Nice, I've got the Titan TPB they released a couple of years ago. Still hoping they'll release the rest of the stuff from their old comics run as I'm missing some 40k stuff still.

I just saw on Amazon that BL is reprinting the old Boom! Studios comics. I don't know what arrangement they had, but I guess it's over, so maybe their's gonna be more Warhammer comics coming straight from BL now

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Orv posted:

I just finished Night Lords, which was both the first Marines stuff I've read in a long while and really quite good. I've only just started reading BL stuff again so it came to my attention that I need to reread Eisenhorn and Ravenor so I can start on the new series. That aside, Night Lords was my first ADB stuff and I wanted to ask if vocal colors and shapes are ADB's writing tick or if that was just a Night Lords thing. It's not a reason not to keep reading his stuff but it always made me pause for a second.

If by new series you mean the Eisenhorn Vs. Ravenor stuff I wouldn't rush as the second part of it was supposed to be released 5 years ago and no one has officially commented why it is still AWOL.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm pretty sure Abnett's done with BL since he's getting that Marvel and DC money now. I can't blame him but it's a bummer.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
*looks at Pariah gathering dust*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRM posted:

I'm pretty sure Abnett's done with BL since he's getting that Marvel and DC money now. I can't blame him but it's a bummer.
He's been getting that for years. My guess is that he's just getting so much work that he's only taking the stuff he really wants to do.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arquinsiel posted:

He's been getting that for years. My guess is that he's just getting so much work that he's only taking the stuff he really wants to do.
But how can he not really want to work toward writing the allegedly horrible death of Ravenor? :mad:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MMAgCh posted:

But how can he not really want to work toward writing the allegedly horrible death of Ravenor? :mad:

Because he got to write the Guardians of the Galaxy comics.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

MMAgCh posted:

To be fair, the guy is a pile of organs in a floating box. His existence is horrible. Just dying of old age or an infection would suck.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sextro posted:

To be fair, the guy is a pile of organs in a floating box. His existence is horrible. Just dying of old age or an infection would suck.

For a second there I thought you were talking about Abnett.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

For a second there I thought you were talking about Abnett.

Considering the health issues Abnett had a while back, it's a possibility...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark EU there is only law.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Helsreach was really good, shame to hear about Pariah 2. I've read Gaunt's, Space Wolves, I think Ultramarines and Soul Drinkers but they didn't really stick with me so I don't know if I finished them, Eisenhorn and Ravenor, most of Cain and Storm of Assholes, any other big 40K recommendations that aren't in the OP?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Basically everything that ADB has written.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even Grey Knights?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Orv posted:

Even Grey Knights?

He only wrote one Grey Knights book; I haven't read it but I've heard it's very good. The other Grey Knights books were by Ben Counter, who's pretty terrible. If you haven't read Night Lords yet you totally should though, it's an excellent series by ADB and my favorite Black Library books altogether.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
ADB's Emperor's Gift is really great, and has some tie ins to Abnett's earlier books that you'll recognize. Ben Counter's Grey Knights are markedly different if you read EG first, and may be a bit too conservative. However, they are still entertaining because they work closely with the Inquisition, so you get the human element along with the space marine so there's some variance there. I recommend Rynn's World, Fifteen Hours, and Brothers of the Snake if you're looking for something more to read.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Rat posted:

Basically everything that ADB has written.

And anything Abnett has written. He's had a few iffy ones, but you should just read it all and make your own determinations.

Also, Graham McNeill's Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars trilogy (full disclosure, I haven't read Gods of Mars, but the first two were good, so...)

"The Beast Arises" series is starting off alright, but I'll reserve judgement until I'm a few more books in.

God, I am so far behind on books...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Gods of Mars has a bit where the main characters realize something is terribly wrong by the lack of skulls around them. It owns.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
What's the worst Abnett book?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Probably Unremembered Empire, which had to tie together a lot of crap from various other authors and suffers badly for it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really didn't care for Brothers of the Snake, even though I know a lot of folks love it. It really hit you over the head with the Space Spartans thing and all I remember is a lot of descriptions of oils and oily men and oiled hair and oiled men. I think it's the only Abnett book I have that I haven't kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Though there is a lot of people here who like it, I didn't care for Double Eagle. I thought the dogfighting descriptions were boring and the words "viff" or "viffing" were used more than "wet leopard growl."