Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"But how could have he been inspired to do this?"

Hey, now. He's done a terrible thing but accusing him of reading the Daily Express is a slander too far. He might have merely been a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rakosi posted:

Why is it ever bad to politicize anything considering almost everything is political in some way.
Because it makes the people attached to those politics sad. Oddly enough this only goes for certain types of political crime.

Also "the personal is political" is antithetical to everything that the right believes. Except when it helps them sell newspapers via spurious anecdotes.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Rakosi posted:

Why is it ever bad to politicize anything considering almost everything is political in some way.

No no no no, whoever's saying something like this is completely unbiased and rational. It's other people who are political and thus wrong, you see.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Sure, the papers may have constantly implied there was a job stealing Syrian gypsy rapist on every street waiting for a free benefits mansion, but have you considered he was probably just mental and would have thought these things anyway? I'm Rupert Murdoch.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
BSE are you going to come back, you're a good lad and I'm sorry the press really is as bad as we say

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

probably because the public perception of politics is synonymous with sleaze, grease, filth and bullshit.

again, so is everything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's too much relying on experts doing measured analysis with statistics and reports and probabilities. If we all just listened to our gut then there's be less of this spur of the moment violence.

(I like the new thread title.)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It's often meant we have stood neutral between different values. And that's helped foster a narrative of extremism and grievance. This Government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach - can we now please start applying this to extreme right groups like the national press?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's too much relying on experts doing measured analysis with statistics and reports and probabilities. If we all just listened to our gut then there's be less of this spur of the moment violence.

Somehow Still The Prime Minister, 18 April 2011 posted:

First, let me tell you how I see it.

Too often debates about AV or other voting systems are less like political arguments, and more like scientific discussions, where people get lost in a language of proportionality and preferences, probabilities and possibilities.

Of course, some of these things are important.

But for me, politics shouldn't be some mind-bending exercise.

It's about what you feel in your gut - about the values you hold dear and the beliefs you instinctively have.

And I just feel it, in my gut, that AV is wrong.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Jesus, he really said that?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
For being a Murdoch rag the Times has done well on the front page today. Not only have they come out for Remain but they've used the T word in relation to Mair.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

As part of a campaign that was literally about what the best way was to count preferences and proportions, yes

Julio Cruz posted:

they've used the T word in relation to Mair.

calling him a Tory is a bit far

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Well, they might not be advocating violence.

Justice doesn't belong at the end of a rope.

She wasn't heavy enough.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
louise mensch is loving scum but this is hardly news

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sure, why not? He understands how the system works - even the Conservative leadership elections are sort of along the same lines. But he knew the average person didn't get how it worked, and his anti-AV campaign was about spreading confusion and convincing people it was too complicated to understand. A statement like that is just laying the ground work and encouraging people to vote out of ignorance

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The BBC hosed up the timing of this scroll a bit

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It says a lot about her that when I went to her Twitter, she is extremely anti-Trump. Though I'm totally expecting someone to tell me it's because of some actually sane thing he said.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

Sure, why not? He understands how the system works - even the Conservative leadership elections are sort of along the same lines. But he knew the average person didn't get how it worked, and his anti-AV campaign was about spreading confusion and convincing people it was too complicated to understand. A statement like that is just laying the ground work and encouraging people to vote out of ignorance

I mean I understand appealing to anti-intellectualism, but coming right out with "I think it's better to run a country on gut feeling than evidence" is kinda...

Well, immaterial I guess. He was already a bastard for countless other reasons.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

massive spider posted:

The BBC hosed up the timing of this scroll a bit

Another Briton radicalised by ISS

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I will always burn with white-hot fury over the AV referendum.

When I went to Louse Munch's twitter it was all "THE BBC ARE RAPISTS AND TRAITORS and they lied about the political motivations of Mr. Deathtotraitors K. Freedomforbritain, Esq"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I mean I understand appealing to anti-intellectualism, but coming right out with "I think it's better to run a country on gut feeling than evidence" is kinda...

Well, immaterial I guess. He was already a bastard for countless other reasons.

Yeah but he doesn't really think that (well, y'know) and I don't think anyone would take it at face value. But for all the people unsure about what this 'alternative vote' thing is, and all the people who'll be confused by the misleading/lying NO ads, it's appealing to their egos and giving them permission to dismiss it out of hand. Just a variation on the 'I'm a normal guy like you, you should do what I say' shtick

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Death to Nazis, IMO

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
My favourite Louise Mensch moment was when she decided marrying a secular Jew meant she was an expert on Judaism and antisemitism, then proceeded to call the father of modern Zionism an antisemite.

Closely followed by the time she tweeted proof that Corbyn supporters were searching for "Liz Kendall Jew" only for it to turn out to be a screenshot of her own searches.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Baron Corbyn posted:

Another Briton radicalised by ISS

:golfclap:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Death to Nazis, IMO

We should sit down with them and talk out our problems. Perhaps it is you who is the real fascist?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

It says a lot about her that when I went to her Twitter, she is extremely anti-Trump. Though I'm totally expecting someone to tell me it's because of some actually sane thing he said.

He's actually might deliver on his massively racist platform rather than just using it to advance his own political career.

Also Hilary is an established neoliberal. Status Quo over everything.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Death to Nazis, IMO

This but unironically

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

This but unironically

I wasn't being ironic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Noxville posted:

We should sit down with them and talk out our problems. Perhaps it is you who is the real fascist?

Nope, this is the time when we shut down the fascists. And if they don't go peaceably, they go the hard way.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm going to put forward the apparently controversial opinion that we shouldn't kill or wish death upon anyone based on their beliefs.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I'm going to put forward the apparently controversial opinion that we shouldn't kill or wish death upon anyone based on their beliefs.

gently caress off, liberal

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

I wasn't being ironic

This but unironically

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Fascists would see you at the end of a rope.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

gently caress off, liberal

This but unironically

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

CottonWolf posted:

hmm yes go on *pulls lever that should open a trapdoor under your feet*

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

This but ironically

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

This but ironically

e: drat it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The sentence below, but not ironically

The sentence above, but ironically

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

This but unironically
Nazis should be killed ironically.

Put them in camps run by gay Jewish communists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hahaha. Wow. I stand by that 100%. Nazi's a terrible people who we should shun, but going beyond that is more effort than they deserve having spent on them. Obviously arrest them when they break the law, but beyond that leave them to their petty hate.

• Locked thread