Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fidelcastro8032
Nov 4, 2003
I am a consumer whore

Hypnolobster posted:

:drat:
First canoe? What resources did you use for technique/dimensions/etc? It's really goddamned impressive.

It was my first canoe and probably my last. I really just wanted to see if I could do it. Basically I used this for mold dimensions.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Sec...V0C1MFF9JKWYRWW

It had a set of drawings you can use in the book. It had some suggestions on how to build at certain steps. A lot of it is kinda make it up as the next step arrives. Took me about 100 hours from start to finish but I had a lot of the tools that speeds up the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Okay, the stuff with carnauba wax added is sweet as hell.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fidelcastro8032 posted:

FInished the canoe. Fiberglassing the inside was a beast but turned out pretty good.

I like the built in chessboards, but is it really the best place to play?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not really sure what the hell to build so I've been asking friends for random projects. Took a while but someone eventually had something specific in mind, just a little foot stool for her younger/shorter piano students. Probably should've made something simple with adjustable height, but gently caress it, she just had a specific height in mind and I probably went overboard (and probably not even that good as a foot stool! :v:):

Some in progress photos: https://imgur.com/a/x6og3
Fun part was when I already glued the body together but didn't account for width after finishing the key pieces. Ended up sanding the hell out of everything until it all fit back together again. Not pictured was the back side when I just had to cut 12" long pieces. I kept cutting 8" pieces cause I kept looking at the wrong fence ruler on my saw (fence can be switched to two positions 4" apart). After wasting wood 3-4 times I just cut those mistakes down to two 6" pieces.

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 23, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Not really sure what the hell to build so I've been asking friends for random projects. Took a while but someone eventually had something specific in mind, just a little foot stool for her younger/shorter piano students. Probably should've made something simple with adjustable height, but gently caress it, she just had a specific height in mind and I probably went overboard (and probably not even that good as a foot stool! :v:):

This is a fantastic idea and a very nice execution. What's it made out of?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is a fantastic idea and a very nice execution. What's it made out of?
Thanks! Just 3/4" poplar cause it's the relatively cheap stuff at Home Depot, don't think I've worked with anything else before other than that and plywood and fiberboard stuff...I should probably check out actual lumber places cause the poplar at HD wasn't as cheap as I remembered. I think I saw a Wood Whisperer episode a while back where he mentioned alder as a better cheap wood option in CA, so I'll probably look for that next.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tls/5647934787.html

I'll take one wood lathe, please and thank you.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tls/5647934787.html

I'll take one wood lathe, please and thank you.

Son of a bitch.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Scored 2 freshly retired wine barrels from a winery I visited a while back. Pretty sure 1 is going to be a coffee table, but besides what I can find by google image searching, you guys have any suggestions?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobua posted:

Scored 2 freshly retired wine barrels from a winery I visited a while back. Pretty sure 1 is going to be a coffee table, but besides what I can find by google image searching, you guys have any suggestions?
A Donkey Kong themed cocktail cab:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=131202.0

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bathroom vanity with vessel sink

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bobua posted:

One of the shoddiest pieces of woodworking I had seen in a long time was the top of a wine barrel cut and turned into a cheese platter. Gaps everywhere, filled with miscoloured glue and bad joins.

Still sold for $150 aud.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

get a kickstarter going boys. Pool your goonbux and go to town. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/5639504887.html

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Hey guys! I was sent here from the general DIY thread because I have a tricky problem. Here it is:

I just bought a new house and it has these absolutely beautiful hard wood floors. It's wooded everywhere except for three bedrooms up stairs. Well I wanna wood those too! Looking to match the wood / get as close as possible. Can anyone identify the wood for me?

Pics:

One contractor says tiger wood but that is too stripey and light. (Contractor claims it darkens over time, with light exposure but I am skeptical. Also I want matching floors now not later.)

One contractor says Brazillian cherry but he had no samples of that so :shrug:

One contractor said some kind of teakwood and I'm just like lol I know who's trying to overcharge me.

A close up of the floor:

It's hard wood. It doesn't appear to be stained.

I'm not looking for a perfect match but I want something close enough so my house doesn’t look ugly. Please help if you can

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think the Brazilian cherry suggestion is probable, I'd seek out a sample so you can compare them in person.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Mr. Mambold posted:

get a kickstarter going boys. Pool your goonbux and go to town. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/5639504887.html

There was a sale like this near me a couple weeks ago. The pictures showed probably 100 metal bodied planes, and 100 more woodies. There was a stack of rubber-maid tubs all labeled "chisels". A couple hundred shovels, rakes, etc. I really wonder if the guy owned a hardware store or something. Anyway the sale was when I was on vacation in another state and I missed all of it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

mds2 posted:

There was a sale like this near me a couple weeks ago. The pictures showed probably 100 metal bodied planes, and 100 more woodies. There was a stack of rubber-maid tubs all labeled "chisels". A couple hundred shovels, rakes, etc. I really wonder if the guy owned a hardware store or something. Anyway the sale was when I was on vacation in another state and I missed all of it.

Some people just have a tool-buying problem. That's going to be my garage when I die at my current rate of purchase.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Some people just have a tool-buying problem. That's going to be my garage when I die at my current rate of purchase.

I've been actively purging tools over the last 6 months and its really freeing.

I've gotten it down to the point where I'm going to be able to move my woodworking from the non-climate-controlled garage to the downstairs den/bonus room (I live in a 70's split level). Which will turn woodworking from an 8 month hobby to a 12 month hobby.

I followed this plan: Pick two power tools to keep, build a tool chest to hold your hand tools (and don't allow yourself anything that doesn't fit), have a bench, and jettison the rest.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
RE the floors: You MIGHT drive yourself crazy trying to match. I'd, personally, find an "obviously on purpose" contrast, like a much lighter-colored maple or oak, and design the rooms accordingly. Otherwise you risk the visual issue of detectably not matching perfectly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

I think the Brazilian cherry suggestion is probable, I'd seek out a sample so you can compare them in person.

Agreed, but there's all kinds of different lots and maybe even species that pass for Brazilian cherry

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Random question for people with smaller/temporary work spaces (like garage after moving a car out), how do you store scraps? Right now I just have bigger pieces against the wall...and smaller pieces against that. And more general thing I guess, at what point do you just throw something away? I had a bunch of small scraps after my last project and was kinda wishy washy on what to keep or toss when I was cleaning up.

And thinking about scraps made me remember this scrap storage shelving project:
http://youtu.be/sSNLwEu1QCk

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

japtor posted:

Random question for people with smaller/temporary work spaces (like garage after moving a car out), how do you store scraps? Right now I just have bigger pieces against the wall...and smaller pieces against that. And more general thing I guess, at what point do you just throw something away? I had a bunch of small scraps after my last project and was kinda wishy washy on what to keep or toss when I was cleaning up.

And thinking about scraps made me remember this scrap storage shelving project:
http://youtu.be/sSNLwEu1QCk

That dude has the Casio No-Fly-List watch, haha.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is it worth getting a good pockethole jig if I'm just going to be using it once and then maybe a few times in the future?

I was looking at this https://www.carbatec.com.au/joinery-and-adhesives/pockethole-jigs-and-accessories/pockethole-jigs/kreg-mini-jig

But then they also have this adjustable one https://www.carbatec.com.au/joinery-and-adhesives/pockethole-jigs-and-accessories/pockethole-jigs/kreg-jig-r3-pocket-hole-system

$17 vs $79

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I talk to Jer all the time on Instagram. He's is a smart dude.

That being said I don't like to drawer idea for scraps. I made a scrap bin out of Woodsmith mag. And I have a shelf for exotic scraps.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Spookydonut posted:

Is it worth getting a good pockethole jig if I'm just going to be using it once and then maybe a few times in the future?

I was looking at this https://www.carbatec.com.au/joinery-and-adhesives/pockethole-jigs-and-accessories/pockethole-jigs/kreg-mini-jig

But then they also have this adjustable one https://www.carbatec.com.au/joinery-and-adhesives/pockethole-jigs-and-accessories/pockethole-jigs/kreg-jig-r3-pocket-hole-system

$17 vs $79

Boy howdy you guys get hosed on pricing. I've got the R3 and think it's fantastic, personally. Plus it's one of those things that you keep finding uses for. How big of a project is the "once" that you're using it for?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Magnus Praeda posted:

Boy howdy you guys get hosed on pricing. I've got the R3 and think it's fantastic, personally. Plus it's one of those things that you keep finding uses for. How big of a project is the "once" that you're using it for?

See my posting like 10 posts ago, its like a coffee table.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=332#post461141139

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 25, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

If to ever think you might build something again, just get the R3. I meant to suggest that when I replied earlier. It's not an ideal joint for all circumstances, but you will just keep finding uses for it once you have it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hubis posted:

If to ever think you might build something again, just get the R3. I meant to suggest that when I replied earlier. It's not an ideal joint for all circumstances, but you will just keep finding uses for it once you have it.

Fair enough, I was kinda leaning towards that. The guide that keeps it square is probably worth the hassle alone.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Double posting to say I'm glad I got the R3, the amount of screws it comes with justifies the cost, as well as how cool it is compared to just that bare rig. Only minor annoyance is it's all in imperial.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any recommendations for designs for a gate? The one that leads to my backyard is falling apart. I'd like something that's more tasteful than the basic "nail some fence boards to some 2x4s" approach, but preferably without any overly fancy joinery.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Size? Solid or not? Pretty or secure?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The (almost) finished table. Still needs sanding and painting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Size? Solid or not? Pretty or secure?

4' wide, arbitrary height, if I'm worried about security I can always just put a latch on the lock...but that won't stop people from climbing over it if they're really determined, so security is not really a high priority. As for pretty, like I said, I'd like something reasonably elegant looking. At bare minimum, an improvement over this:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Unless you want to face it with something decorative or top it with a decorative trellis panel I think your options may be limited to "fancy curves on top"

As it happens I need to make a gate 1.5m wide by 1.5 - 1.7 m tall, it needs to be solid so the dog doesn't go mad at everything he sees so I'll be trying to top it with a nice curve.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

4' wide, arbitrary height, if I'm worried about security I can always just put a latch on the lock...but that won't stop people from climbing over it if they're really determined, so security is not really a high priority. As for pretty, like I said, I'd like something reasonably elegant looking. At bare minimum, an improvement over this:

I built a mortise and tenon gate that turned out alright and it wasn't too hard. Used a plunge router to make the mortises and the slots that I put the wooden slats in.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/xu8fj

The only problem is that the cedar was wet when I built it and those cross slats shrunk so now there's a half inch gap between the top of the slats and the top rail.

In retrospect I also wish I had squared up the edges of the rails so the mortises met more cleanly and then rounded the edges after it was all put together. One other detail I did was that the cross slats are fitted into slots on the left/right sides but there's no slot across the bottom so that rain water doesn't pool in there. There is a slot across the underside of the top rail. The original thought was that the slats could expand/shrink freely into that top slot but they shrunk way more than I thought they would.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Completed my 2nd piece of furniture today. First was a coat rack for our front entry way. Today I finished my new computer table. All done with hand tools, except for a couple screw holes done with a power drill.

Top and apron are poplar, stained and varnished, legs are unfinished oak, all purchased pre-squared. Lot of firsts for me in this project: first time laminating boards, first time doing a lot of planing, first mortise and tenon joints, first time actually having most joints come out square(!). I decided to do through-tenons because I think they look cool & wanted the practice for future projects. Top is just fastened on with right-angle brackets and screws. I changed my plans after buying the wood, so the frame ended up narrower than it probably should be. But it seems plenty sturdy in actual use.

Next project will be either a real work bench for the garage or a similar, but beefier, table for the kitchen to extend our counterspace.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I knocked out a super dumb 1h project today. Squatty potty for a bathroom with a too-tall toilet that makes my legs go numb on marathon pooping/smartphoning sessions. Had a super twisted short piece of 6/8 white oak to play with and not a lot of time.

Totally blown away by how cool the grain is on it. I took it down to about 1", doweled the corners (6 3/8" dowels) and threw a coat of shellac on it. I still need to tint some epoxy and fill the bark inclusion void. Maybe a little excessive for a footstool made for pooping.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Yeah anywhere but a bathroom that feature is an interesting inclusion. In a bathroom one might thing somebody has defaced your furniture.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I really think it's rad when folks put in glow in the dark or UV reactive pigments into resins. You should consider that.

And then get into the artisan pooping stool business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Currently I'm refinishing my front door and I need some tool recommendations. It's a 3 vertical panel all pine door with solid pine rails and panels, while the stiles are pine cores with pine veneer, so no knotholes anywhere. A power sander only took the better part of a day to get through the outer coating and water damage stain on the door. The problem I'm having is sanding all of the little corners and circular patterns in the panels. Can anyone recommend a good corner scraper for this?