Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

So....What happens now? Is Deku being forced to quit being a hero? Is he no longer going back to the academy?

... And the prom is TOMORROW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think that would make for a very good way to convince his mom that Deku will be safe. "Hey yeah you just said you wished he had remained quirkless and safe, but actually I am the one who gave him the quirk which is destroying his body and allowed him to enter ua/become a target for deranged criminals."

I was thinking more along the lines of All Might explaining how they met and trained Deku to enter UA.

"Ma'am your idiot son has been throwing himself at villains as long as I've known him. At least by attending UA we can train him to be less of a dumbass."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I feel bad for Ragdoll that scene with her crying with the Pussycats was sad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She was always the happiest person in the group, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

So....What happens now? Is Deku being forced to quit being a hero? Is he no longer going back to the academy?

Now comes the Gran Torino mentoring arc where Deku learns that OFA can also enhance his body's natural healing if he can keep it activated while asleep.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Also I find it incredibly endearing that none of the pussycats had even vaguely cat-themed quirks. They were a perfectly normal hero team that just happened to like dressing up like cats.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Well, in the real world UA would be well hosed.

If you let the kids stay home, you can have a heartrending system-destroying disaster where the villains could attack one of the kids at home and massacre their whole family. If I was the Villain Alliance it's what I'd do; if attacking them in the presence of pros keeps loving everything up just ambush the kids themselves on the way to/from school or at home.

If you put them all in the dorms, you've effectively gathered them all in one spot for another attack. All Might can't fight anymore, and unless they plan on having cameras in the kids rooms and have them live in a loving creepy surveillance state you've just put painted a target on a single building.

Even then, they have a dude who knows their campus and can teleport. Shigaraki could round up another big group of retarded mooks and port them in on a suicide mission with instructions to just gently caress everything up and even if no one gets hurt UA is finished because another campus attack happened.

The consolidating the students in the dorms strategy has me expecting the school is going unveil some ridiculous new security system to hand wave any further attacks in the immediate future. They have money and the gadget designers for a suitably bullshit superheroic defense system.

Plus then you can have it "malfunction" at a good dramatic moment whenever we arrive at dealing with the villains mole on campus.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Caidin posted:

Plus then you can have it "malfunction" at a good dramatic moment whenever we arrive at dealing with the villains mole on campus.

I always wondered why they would assume it was a mole and not just some sort of clairvoyance quirk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really want to see Tokoyami's parents, because they raised their son to be such a polite young monstershadow bird-man.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I do also appreciate Bakugou taking All Might hiding the secret from him fairly well though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LostRook posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of All Might explaining how they met and trained Deku to enter UA.

"Ma'am your idiot son has been throwing himself at villains as long as I've known him. At least by attending UA we can train him to be less of a dumbass."
I think this is gonna be it. He's gonna tell her that her son was never going to be watching from the sidelines. He's a hero on instinct. All they can do is teach him to be a good one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also I find it incredibly endearing that none of the pussycats had even vaguely cat-themed quirks. They were a perfectly normal hero team that just happened to like dressing up like cats.
Tiger's ability to slip into any tiny-rear end space he wants is pretty cat-like

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man I feel bad for Ragdoll that scene with her crying with the Pussycats was sad.
That is the saddest thing. :smith:

Really, the main thing I remain amazed with is how good the characters are written in this series. Even the completely over the top types like Bakugou have perfectly understandable motivations and personalities, and in any other series Deku's mom's refusal would feel contrived, but here it's not only completely sensible it's actually tense because she's completely correct.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think this is gonna be it. He's gonna tell her that her son was never going to be watching from the sidelines. He's a hero on instinct. All they can do is teach him to be a good one.

And even if this wasn't the case, he's thwarted a world champion grudge holder several times. It's not like Deku dropping out of training and hiding his head in the sand would do all that much to save him.

Also, I just finished binging this manga and I have to say it is really nice to read genuinely good shounen again. It's been a long time. My favorite part early on was how the art is solid but pretty standard shounen stuff, except for All Might. All Might just Viewtiful Joes it up in every panel. I'm kind of sad that ultra high contrast giant man is gone forever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Lord of Hats posted:

Presumably they'll convince her one way or another.

More importantly, this means we get DORM SHENANIGANS.

Probably some sort of contract/super science monitoring device so that should Deku get hurt again he's immediately out of UA. Which puts a further limitation on his recklessness than his recent realization that he was emotionally hurting the people around him by destroying himself. Basically putting multiple limitations on himself so we aren't reading the story of the most powerful noodle armed man in the world.

Plus that means that in a future arc he can heroically get hurt, but it's so heroic that his mom lets him stay.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Wittgen posted:

I'm kind of sad that ultra high contrast giant man is gone forever.

until Deku becomes that man. :getin:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm really into Bakugo's mom and I hope we see her a lot in the future.

There needs to be an arc that has all these parents hanging out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wittgen posted:

And even if this wasn't the case, he's thwarted a world champion grudge holder several times. It's not like Deku dropping out of training and hiding his head in the sand would do all that much to save him.

Also, I just finished binging this manga and I have to say it is really nice to read genuinely good shounen again. It's been a long time. My favorite part early on was how the art is solid but pretty standard shounen stuff, except for All Might. All Might just Viewtiful Joes it up in every panel. I'm kind of sad that ultra high contrast giant man is gone forever.

No. There is another.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
My favorite part of this chapter was kid Deku playing hero with his mom

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Petiso posted:

That gender swapped illustration was a flashback all along :tinfoil:

I would read Hero Acadamia : The New Frountier.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlie Bobson posted:

My favorite part of this chapter was kid Deku playing hero with his mom

While awesome, the fact that Deku's mom is as big an All Might Mark as Deku is clearly the best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet frog dad could beat bakudad

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

To be honest right now it looks like a stiff wind could beat Bakudad

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

You beat Bakudad and you got to deal with Bakumom. Frog dad doesn't want none of that poo poo.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Frogdad and Bakudad definitely smoke cigarettes and play mahjong together twice a month.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Space-Bird posted:

Deku's mom is great, don't get me wrong, but I think we need to give more love to Aizawa's Man-bun of the Year. I think Kyouka's mom might find it particularly dashing.

She seems to have the same quirk as her daughter too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

She seems to have the same quirk as her daughter too.
Could also be a fusion - her mom could have the long, free-moving ears, and her dad has

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Space-Bird posted:

Deku's mom is great, don't get me wrong, but I think we need to give more love to Aizawa's Man-bun of the Year. I think Kyouka's mom might find it particularly dashing.

What do the characters above her head mean?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What do the characters above her head mean?

"doki doki" the onomatopoeia for heartbeats.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Gruckles posted:

"doki doki" the onomatopoeia for heartbeats.

Ah. Figured it was something that would be reinforcing the blushing. Is there an onomatopoeia for blushing? Or is "doki doki" as close as it gets?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ah. Figured it was something that would be reinforcing the blushing. Is there an onomatopoeia for blushing? Or is "doki doki" as close as it gets?
Sorta. It's definitely the 'pounding heart' sort of sound. Short version?

She wants his Eraser Head.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Another thing I think he'll bring up is the fact that Izuku's time at UA is probably the first time he's ever felt accepted by the people around him. He had no friends before UA and was pretty miserable before All Might gave him the chance to follow his dreams.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Sorta. It's definitely the 'pounding heart' sort of sound. Short version?

She wants his Eraser Head.

When she does sonic blasts, isn't Jirou specifically amplifying the sound of her heartbeat? Could be a bit of a connection there, too (yes, it's a giant reach).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Her mom is a babe

All the moms are babes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's weird that I hear this series called predictable/generic sometimes because other than no one notable ever dying ever outside of flashbacks (WSJ standard really) and the good guys pretty much always winning I'm pretty constantly surprised by it.

Like, would any other shounen have actually spent the time to have a chapter of basically nothing but the teachers talking with the parents of the kids about entirely practical stuff that would've been left as "It's shounen just roll with it" plot holes anywhere else? Or have a parent that was actually like, "You know, after my kid was targeted by murderous psychopaths three times in a row and hospitalized for grinding his arms into hamburger a couple times- possibly with permanent side effects...uh, 3 months in to his FIRST YEAR- I think this might be too dangerous."

Or uh, have a parent be there at all? Midoriya having one living parent that shows up regularly makes him one parent up on almost all shounen protagonists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lord of Hats posted:

When she does sonic blasts, isn't Jirou specifically amplifying the sound of her heartbeat? Could be a bit of a connection there, too (yes, it's a giant reach).

Correct. She actually can't fire them at a range. Her outfit has speakers that she can plug into so she can fire off sound blasts.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the moms are babes.

Even Frogmom and Rockmom?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

JosephWongKS posted:

Even Frogmom and Rockmom?