Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ka0 posted:

Unicorn gundam is an immensely boring design

Screw you, Unicorn Mode looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Screw you, Unicorn Mode looks awesome.

I don't dislike Unicorn Mode, but it does have a bit of a neither fish nor fowl thing going on. It doesn't quite have the punch that most Gundams do, but it's also a little too fancy to pass for a regular grunt. Also, it has way too many panels.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Well, my country just shat the bed, I may not be able to afford Gunpla for a while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well, my country just shat the bed, I may not be able to afford Gunpla for a while.

Enjoy not paying the EU 350 million (allegedly according to idiots) a week so you can instead pay double that as fees for imports skyrocket!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

You have my deepest condolences

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Goon donation project to send Gunpla to people living in countries in need

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Enjoy not paying the EU 350 million (allegedly according to idiots) a week so you can instead pay double that as fees for imports skyrocket!

Without the EU holding us back, obviously we'll finally be able to secure that cushy tariff-free gunpla trade deal with Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Red Bones posted:

Without the EU holding us back, obviously we'll finally be able to secure that cushy tariff-free gunpla trade deal with Japan.

The most important aspect of the tpp trade deal. Though you guys will have to go via the north pole

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Good luck with that VF-19! It's...special.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kind of disappointed to find out that the Kamiki Burning has nothing to do with God/Burning Gundam. I was thinking of painting him Shading Gundam colors (with solid color ice-blue flames).

I might still do that, but Karate Gundam feels less cool now (still pretty cool)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

I hope the Full Metal Panic anime comes out soon so we can get a glut of Arm Slave kits.

They have Bandai model kits of every Arm Slave in the FMP universe so we better finally get them for real.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neurolimal posted:

Kind of disappointed to find out that the Kamiki Burning has nothing to do with God/Burning Gundam. I was thinking of painting him Shading Gundam colors (with solid color ice-blue flames).

Burning Gundam is the westernized name of God Gundam as you probably know, the guys who did BFT didn't know about it when they named the Build Burning Gundam, but were pleased by the parallels when pointed out.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Suzaku posted:

Good luck with that VF-19! It's...special.

In the middle of one myself, and uhh

I'm not liking how about 60% of the moving parts are supposed to all mount on a pair of POM pylons

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Making a YF-19 made me never pick up a Macross kit again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've really wanted to get Ozma's Armored Messiah for the longest time now. Are they all that bad, or is it just that one?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I built that one. The design means it is a bit more fiddley and the plastic is thinner than a gundam kit, so I put it at about the same as a good kotobukiya kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Red Bones posted:

With your souls unbound by the Euro, you should be able to instantaneously receive Gunpla without any chance of misunderstanding.

Failing that, you can just drop a colony on Australia. That always works.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

With your souls unbound by the Euro, you should be able to instantaneously receive Gunpla without any chance of misunderstanding.

Failing that, you can just drop a colony on Australia. That always works.

Britain already tried that. Didn't work for gunpla or understanding :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Suzaku posted:

Britain already tried that. Didn't work for gunpla or understanding :v:

To be fair, it didn't work out well for Zeon either.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A recent video on Gundam Breakers 3 has made me jonesing hard for building some Gundam models again. Then I saw this thread linked from the retro games thread, after someone posted some gunpla there. I'm kind of struggling to figure out how to find what models are available in series I like, at what quality level. My favorite mobile suit is definitely the MS-09 Dom. I'm a big fan of 8th MS team, have a general soft spot for the early universal century stuff, especially anything Zeon. G-Gundam stuff is cool, and I really like the GX-9900 Gundam X, but somehow I remember zero of the other mobile suits from that series.

Between struggling to figure out a good way to see what kits exist so I could then go hunt down specific mobile suits I want, and reading the OP which basically made me realize I shouldn't just go buy a $200 kit. It would be a hell of a lot of work that I would gently caress up after not making models for over 10 years.

The biggest change since I've last made this is I have a workshop now. I'm tempted to, after putting together a kit or two for practice, start doing some dumb stuff with micro controllers and stepper motors.

Here's a 15 or so year old Dom sitting on some Atari carts, so you have something fun to look at. I still have him, a Kampfer, and an RX-78-2 sitting on my shelves. Most of my other put together kits are either in the trash at this point or a pile of broken plastic after 15 years.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Given your lack of experience with modern kits, you definitely want to start with the High Grade (1/144 scale) line. With your MS preferences, you might like these for a start:

HG Gundam X - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GX-9900-After-Gundam/dp/B003AH6EPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825519&sr=8-3&keywords=gundam+x
HG Gundam Ez8 - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-Model-Scale/dp/B00B596Y0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825587&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+ez8
HG Dom - https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Seed-Destiny-Rickdom-Model/dp/B000CQM334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825631&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+dom
HG Burning Gundam - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GUNDAM-Mobile-Fighter/dp/B003FG64RO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825788&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+burning+gundam

As for finding out what kits exist, use this: http://dalong.net/ - click on the "HG" on top of the page for the High Grade library, and then switch to the english catalogue. That will show you everything that has been made for the HG line.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The HGBF Dom R35 (http://dalong.net/review/bf/bf39/bf39_p.htm) is a good kit as well. Not only it is a modern (in terms of engineering) Dom with more cool bits on it, it's also great customization fodder if you're ready to paint. I've seen some seriously good paintjobs for the Dom R35 that do things like make it look like the classic Dom.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

I really like the GX-9900 Gundam X

I like you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If BlitzBlast had the money, I'm sure he would give every active poster in this thread an MG Gundam X. Twice.

Doing that isn't a bad thing, of course. :v:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Given your lack of experience with modern kits, you definitely want to start with the High Grade (1/144 scale) line. With your MS preferences, you might like these for a start:

HG Gundam X - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GX-9900-After-Gundam/dp/B003AH6EPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825519&sr=8-3&keywords=gundam+x
HG Gundam Ez8 - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Gundam-Model-Scale/dp/B00B596Y0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825587&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+ez8
HG Dom - https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Seed-Destiny-Rickdom-Model/dp/B000CQM334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825631&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+dom
HG Burning Gundam - https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GUNDAM-Mobile-Fighter/dp/B003FG64RO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466825788&sr=8-1&keywords=HG+burning+gundam

As for finding out what kits exist, use this: http://dalong.net/ - click on the "HG" on top of the page for the High Grade library, and then switch to the english catalogue. That will show you everything that has been made for the HG line.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I almost pulled the trigger on the Dom and the Gundam X, and then realized I need some buffer mobile suits to learn on, so i'm nabbing the Ez8 and a Guntank instead. Why the Guntank? Because I love how silly it is. Has any Gundam show had an inverted Zaku Tank / Guntank? Something like a Magella turret on a pair of legs? If not... I wonder if I should build out a terrible kitbash idea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

closeted republican posted:

The HGBF Dom R35 (http://dalong.net/review/bf/bf39/bf39_p.htm) is a good kit as well. Not only it is a modern (in terms of engineering) Dom with more cool bits on it, it's also great customization fodder if you're ready to paint. I've seen some seriously good paintjobs for the Dom R35 that do things like make it look like the classic Dom.

There's also probably going to be a Revive Dom soonish, judging by the R35's runners. So that might be worth waiting for.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! I almost pulled the trigger on the Dom and the Gundam X, and then realized I need some buffer mobile suits to learn on, so i'm nabbing the Ez8 and a Guntank instead. Why the Guntank? Because I love how silly it is. Has any Gundam show had an inverted Zaku Tank / Guntank? Something like a Magella turret on a pair of legs? If not... I wonder if I should build out a terrible kitbash idea.

Just gonna warn you, the HG Guntank is pretty old so it'll take a lot more work. You should get the HG The Origin prototype version instead, unless you really like the Guntank's design anyway. HGUC Ez-8's neat though.

As for a big gun on legs, well

maybe?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yo, BlitzBlast, when the GX-Bit head parts come out, you gonna do a diorama with a Gundam x and ten GX-Bits?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A G-Bit head does not a G-Bit make, sadly.

I've actually considered getting the set, but I'm legitimately unsure what I'd do with it. Maybe make building my resin GX-Bits less of a pain?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you want the ultimate Dom kit, grab the MG Dom or MG Rick Dom. I built the MG Rick Dom recently, and it was a blast to build. Very modern HGish in terms of construction, but the final model looks really nice and has a good amount of articulation. The kit has some issues holding the beam bazooka if it's not bent downwards, but looks really cool when you get the Rick Dom to hold it so that the Rick Doom looks like it's about to shoot something with it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Just gonna warn you, the HG Guntank is pretty old so it'll take a lot more work. You should get the HG The Origin prototype version instead, unless you really like the Guntank's design anyway. HGUC Ez-8's neat though.

As for a big gun on legs, well

maybe?

I can't remember the name of that one, but I remember spending too much time fighting that in some Gundam Battle Assault game.

I figure I'm going to massacre my first kit or two. Also, it can't end up in worse condition than my RX-78-2 who's in a pretty chill pose on this shelf with so many parts missing. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like most of the kit quality increases in the past 15 years have been on making builds easier and making mobile suits more pose-able. I'm still going to need to sacrifice some mobile suits to the 'really really bad paint job' gods to get them to look nice, right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Still an absolute travesty that "good kit" selection for G Gundam is narrowed to Shining, Nobell, God, and Master.

Where the gently caress is RE 1/100 Nether Gundam.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chainclaw posted:

I can't remember the name of that one, but I remember spending too much time fighting that in some Gundam Battle Assault game.

I figure I'm going to massacre my first kit or two. Also, it can't end up in worse condition than my RX-78-2 who's in a pretty chill pose on this shelf with so many parts missing. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like most of the kit quality increases in the past 15 years have been on making builds easier and making mobile suits more pose-able. I'm still going to need to sacrifice some mobile suits to the 'really really bad paint job' gods to get them to look nice, right?

It's called the Big Zam.

There's really no real way to massacre modern model kits unless you're intending to just rip the parts off the sprues with your bare hands. Just get a decent pair of hobby cutters and a hobby knife(and maybe a panel-lining pen) and you're pretty much good to go for a beginner. As for kits requiring paint, not really. While some HG kits are pretty sticker heavy, most have all the required parts molded in proper colors and can look good even with a straight build.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

A G-Bit head does not a G-Bit make, sadly.

I've actually considered getting the set, but I'm legitimately unsure what I'd do with it. Maybe make building my resin GX-Bits less of a pain?

For some reason I remembered GX-Bit as just having different heads and paint jobs from Gundam X, but looking it up now they've got a lot of differences.

Kinda makes the decision to put out a GX-Bit head kind of puzzling

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Chainclaw posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like most of the kit quality increases in the past 15 years have been on making builds easier and making mobile suits more pose-able. I'm still going to need to sacrifice some mobile suits to the 'really really bad paint job' gods to get them to look nice, right?

Glad to be able to correct you on this one, in general part separation has got better which means less stickers (again, in general, there's still some recent stinkers) and paint to get them looking nice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also, painting is cheaper/as cheap as it's ever been, and China has finally gotten around to producing quality knockoffs of Iwata/Badger airbrushes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

where do i buy this

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kuvo posted:

where do i buy this

Still available on Amazon, not cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Collection-Big-Zam-Bygzam-Scale/dp/B0009Y2WSA

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hate to break it to you guys but Unicorns are cool.

No.

Also within a day of my one friend finding out about the new QanT gundam with the rediculous cat ears he's already drawn fanart of it. Ah well, it atleast looks a ton better than the Portent did.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It totally is.

Someday I'll be comfortable enough with modding to slap the Phenex's backpack on my Chimera. Because the thing doesn't have enough stuff hanging off of it yet.