Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Kinda sad that Octan turned out to be an evil corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found a store with a lot of random early series minifigures for $5 a piece ($10 for Series one) Is that a price worth snatching them up at generally? Kind of tempted to buy a bunch. I grabbed the indian chief and baywatch lifeguard and they are pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you actually want them. I have a funny feeling the actual valuable ones such as the zombie or Roman soldier aren't included in the 5-10 dollar tier

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If you find a lady liberty for $5, I'd pay you cost plus shipping.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Goofin' around with my boy...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That first one looks like Blacktron farming equipment.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

I found a store with a lot of random early series minifigures for $5 a piece ($10 for Series one) Is that a price worth snatching them up at generally? Kind of tempted to buy a bunch. I grabbed the indian chief and baywatch lifeguard and they are pretty cool.

Make sure they're not the clone Chinese versions...

http://mybrickstore.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/imitation-of-lego-collectible.html

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, for 80 cents each those look just fine to me. Might look into getting some of those for parts or diorama purposes, I've always thought a zombie diorama might be fun to do, but that sucker's always been hilariously expensive.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, for 80 cents each those look just fine to me. Might look into getting some of those for parts or diorama purposes, I've always thought a zombie diorama might be fun to do, but that sucker's always been hilariously expensive.

For 80 cents yeah, but not for $10.. Stalls at comic conventions in the UK frequently overcharge for fake minifigs.

On Aliexpress you can find fairly passable imitations of even recently released minifigs such as the Classic Batcave lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting he get them from the reseller, sorry, was just responding to the link posted.

Anyways, check this guy out, crossposting from the Transformers thread in BSS.

You might be thinking "that doesn't look like Lego at all!" and you'd be partially right!

This dude makes custom figures of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye characters using a hybrid of Lego pieces and scratchbuilt parts, then molds them together with sculpting putty and paints them. He's done a bunch, and they're all really nice.

Figured it might be relevant since there was talk of gluing Legos earlier. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's actually super clever because it's hard to find friction joints as flexible and cheap as the lego ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, I said as much in the TF thread, Bionicle balljoints are extremely stable for their size and absolutely dirt cheap. I had to make something that weighed about 6 pounds before the joints started to buckle on my MOCs. And then there's the rubberized balljoints which can support even MORE weight.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, the lego balljoints are awesome. I love the new tiny ones which mixels use.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Captain Invictus posted:

If they're the same ones that comic-con vendors sell, they look okay but the plastic is insanely bad and the legs are often different lengths. I've also seen knockoffs like those where the arm joints are so loose they just hang there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why, that's just zombie variety!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Smoke me a kipper ...

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/142645

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't see this ever hitting production but wow what a build.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/139161

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah that's lame, how are they not going to offer a mini Volkswagen Beetle with the purchase of the full size Volkswagen Beetle? I mean, the Mini had one and the Van had one. The bus is cool but....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

That movie had the saddest first 5 minutes of any kids movie ever.
I am not ashamed to say I shed a tear. At age 30.
But it turns to poo poo when the talking dogs come up..

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yes please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No Starbug?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hopper posted:

But it turns to poo poo when the talking dogs come up..

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

quote:

We’re really sorry to keep you waiting for your LEGO® Technic 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

We try really hard to make sure every LEGO set arrives in perfect condition and we’ve recently discovered that some boxes for the LEGO Technic Porsche are being damaged during shipping. We want to make sure LEGO fans ordering this set have the best experience, so we’ve decided to delay sending the sets until we’ve fixed the problem. Our teams are now working hard to improve the packaging and we plan to start sending out orders again in August.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

It's like LEGO is faster to recall their vehicles than actual car companies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I'm sure if you could pack a TDI in a box and ship it to VW they would have had a fix a lot sooner too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah that is fantastic

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I've been eyeing the VW van. I kinda want it and I kinda am not like the biggest VW fan on the planet or anything...

Anyway, 2 questions:

1] when the bug comes out does this stop getting manufactured?

2] Is it a good fun build/model?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I do not have it but I have screwed around with it at a friends and it's one of my favorite sets ever. I hear it's a fun build too.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

It's a really fun build, super satisfying, and not repetitive at all since you're also building up a really neatly detailed interior as you work on the frame. It's one of those sets that even though it's been out for like 4 years now, when it disappears the people who didn't get it will be kicking themselves about it. Like NESguerilla, it's one of my favorite sets.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It's so good I should probably buy another one to sell later, and I haven't done the buying to sell later thing yet.

I wish I had done that with the Haunted House too.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

uXs posted:

It's so good I should probably buy another one to sell later, and I haven't done the buying to sell later thing yet.

I wish I had done that with the Haunted House too.

My haunted house was knocked off a shelf about a year ago and I still haven't had the courage to check if all the pieces are still there or not. Just a sad pile of grey in the corner of my room.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
gently caress it. Going today. :)

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

My haunted house was knocked off a shelf about a year ago and I still haven't had the courage to check if all the pieces are still there or not. Just a sad pile of grey in the corner of my room.

At least if you are missing any it probably is cheap to bricklink. A few years ago I was moving to a new apartment and had broken my Tower Bridge set and placed it in a lidded container for easy transport. Well I still managed to drop it on the 3rd floor of the stairwell. The container popped open and I watched pieces fly everywhere, including to other floors. :( I gathered up everything I could find and spent the rest of the day (6 loving hours) separating out all the bricks and checking inventory against the booklet. Somehow I had found every single brick except one tan cheese slope, which a goon from here kindly donated to the cause.

I've slowly been doing the same inventory method with all my other sets just to be absolutely sure I have all the pieces for everything, and in future builds I'm going to aim to be more careful with where bricks end up.

Also, Feenix, you're making the right choice!

ireladd fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else have sets they just don't really like but hold onto for the minifigures? I dissembled jabbas palace/rancor pit ages ago cause I think they are mediocre sets but I can't bring myself to get rid of them despite them being worth a decent amount because I love the drat figures too much :lol:

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I'd have to say basically any of the Marvel Civil War sets except the one with the Quinjet. It's just a shame that there's a lack of creativity there but I guess there isn't a whole lot to pull from in the movie. Really excited about the upcoming Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man bridge sets though!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

You forgot this key piece of information:

quote:

We understand how disappointing this may be for you and would like to give you a $25 gift card for the inconvenience. We’ll send the gift card as soon as your LEGO Technic Porsche ships. It will arrive separately and can be used towards a future LEGO purchase.

Really can't complain as most companies would just have it delayed with no notice or apology.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

NESguerilla posted:

Does anyone else have sets they just don't really like but hold onto for the minifigures? I dissembled jabbas palace/rancor pit ages ago cause I think they are mediocre sets but I can't bring myself to get rid of them despite them being worth a decent amount because I love the drat figures too much :lol:

I have no love for any Lego sets that are essentially "play sets". (i.e.: cutout approximations of interiors like Hoth Assault or any of the like... ) But yea some of them come with some appealing figs...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't be the firs person to think of putting a little Lego bong and or a cloud of Lego smoke coming out of a window, can I?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

I have no love for any Lego sets that are essentially "play sets". (i.e.: cutout approximations of interiors like Hoth Assault or any of the like... ) But yea some of them come with some appealing figs...

Yeah. I'm mostly just not the demographic for them, but they playset style sets have zero appeal to me except they almost always come with the best/most minifigures. If I can't put it up as decoration there isn't much I can do with it ,so the few sets like that I have are in bags with the figures on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fun build. My 3 year old grabbed it when I was getting the Volkswagen van.