Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm looking for something where the protagonist tends to get either beaten up on, or gets their plans ruined on a regular basis, Genre doesn't really matter although I like horror, something with Humor and Action in it preferably.

Stuff I liked: Dresden Files, Sandman Slim, Felix Castor, The Name Of the Wind, The Laundry Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

KildarX posted:

I'm looking for something where the protagonist tends to get either beaten up on, or gets their plans ruined on a regular basis, Genre doesn't really matter although I like horror, something with Humor and Action in it preferably.

Night by Elie Wiesel

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KildarX posted:

Stuff I liked: Dresden Files, Sandman Slim, Felix Castor, The Name Of the Wind, The Laundry Series

If you like urban fantasy, it's worth reading the Noir classics. Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

KildarX posted:

You're painting with broad strokes.

For horror-comedy pulp, you should try the Andrew Mayhem series by Jeff Strand. The first two books are fun, as is his book Mandibles. Pretty cheap on Kindle.

You might like The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston or The gently caress-Up by Nersesian. Or Palahniuk; Choke is the only one I'd recommend to try, but a lot of people like Haunted. Bret Easton Ellis and Irvine Welsh are better at these kinds of books, though.

My favorite of this "Loser" Genre is James Gunn's (Guardians of the Galaxy, Super, Slither) only novel The Toy Collector. It's very good, and I love to recommend it to people, especially if they like Super.

For something actually Good/Great (depending on the critic), there's Kurt Vonnegut's books Slaughterhouse-5, Breakfast of Champions and The Sirens of Titan or Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice, and Bukowski's novels Post Office and Factotum.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Isn't "the hero gets beat up" the plot of every noir written?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Isn't "the hero gets beat up" the plot of every story?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

KildarX posted:

Well, for plans getting ruined on a regular basis and humor, you could do worse than Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder books. Small-time crook John Dortmunder and his buddies pull off clever capers only to have them get messed up, and they have to plan and carry out more clever capers to make up for what went wrong, and so on. I haven't read all of them, maybe about half, but the first one, The Hot Rock, is probably the best of the ones I've read. They're not "Literature" by any means, but they're amusing.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

district 12 posted:

I am looking for some recommendations for quirky, quick read novels along the lines of Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto. Especially women authors. I like Zadie Smith a lot, too, if that offers a general idea of what I'm looking for? Can be from any period, and preferably ones I can get on eBook.

In order of most to least quirky: Kelly Link, Ali Smith, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

KildarX posted:

Ignore every other recommendation. Read the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K. Morgan. It's funny, it has weird body-horror stuff, it's smart. Or, if you really don't like sci-fi, read A Land Fit for Heroes, same author but not as nail-on-the-head (although it's still funny and the 4 heroes all get their asses kicked on the regular).

e: Oh, poo poo, read Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. There's three trilogies mostly involving the heroes recovering from wounds, with a long-term psycho-physic-magical wound overarching all of it. Good times!

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

district 12 posted:

I am looking for some recommendations for quirky, quick read novels along the lines of Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto. Especially women authors. I like Zadie Smith a lot, too, if that offers a general idea of what I'm looking for? Can be from any period, and preferably ones I can get on eBook.

You're going to love Amélie Nothomb, I think. Start with "Fear and Trembling" (the title is very much tongue in cheek), then choose whichever of her novels sounds more interesting to you, they're all good.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

High Warlord Zog posted:

In order of most to least quirky: Kelly Link, Ali Smith, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Burning Rain posted:

You're going to love Amélie Nothomb, I think. Start with "Fear and Trembling" (the title is very much tongue in cheek), then choose whichever of her novels sounds more interesting to you, they're all good.

Thanks! i'll check these authors out.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

KildarX posted:

The Greatcoats series by Sebastien de Castell is right up your alley.

Anything else I can suggest depends on whether you also like varying but marked levels of angst.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for some high fantasy with unconventional settings (basically, not based on medieval Europe). Would be interested in stories inspired by antiquity or other parts of the world.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Also City of Stairs/City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett--they revolve around fantasy versions of Russia and India.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not traditional high fantasy but more people should read The Orphan's Tales by Catherynne M Valente. Definitely if you want exotic settings.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bowser posted:

Looking for some high fantasy with unconventional settings (basically, not based on medieval Europe). Would be interested in stories inspired by antiquity or other parts of the world.

My typical recommendation here is Guy Gavriel Kay, but even he's mostly Europe, just not England -- one book is set in fantasy reconquista era spain, etc.

He does have some recent books set in fantasy China though, so check those out.

There's Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, which is technically science fiction, but at the "indistinguishable from magic" level of technology. The basic plot is that the rulers of a future colony planet have set themselves up as Hindu dieties (complete with working reincarnation if you follow the regime, etc.); one of them rebels and sets himself up as Buddha to undermine them.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I haven't read it yet, but Ken Liu's The Grace of Kings seems highly regarded.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

bowser posted:

anilEhilated posted:

Not traditional high fantasy but more people should read The Orphan's Tales by Catherynne M Valente. Definitely if you want exotic settings.

This. And Deathless, which is a Russian fairy tale set before and during World War II. And...everything she's written, really.

Carol Berg's Rai-kirah trilogy is more Arabian than European.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looking for a book or series set in something like the world of darkness or the secret world, in the USA and about investigating / fighting monsters,not being them.
Gonna try for an audio book on audible but any info appreciated.

I feel weird adding this but I want it to be good? Like I read an old xfiles and wod and I want more than that. American gods and neverwhere were good but not quite what I'm talking about.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 24, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, neither is a perfect fit but maybe try the Harmony Black books by Craig Schaefer (FBI agent sent on magical cases) or Laundry series by Charles Stross (warning: British and very much so).
Neither of them is as dark or complex as the WoD, sadly. Both are also more on the side of fun fantasy than horror.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 24, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jack B Nimble posted:

Looking for a book or series set in something like the world of darkness or the secret world, in the USA and about investigating / fighting monsters,not being them.

I feel weird adding this but I want it to be good? Like I read an old xfiles and wod and I want more than that. American gods and neverwhere were good but not quite what I'm talking about.

Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry which is Tom Clancy meets Eleventh Hour meets Victor Frankenstein...not published by Baen books, or George Chesbro's Mongo series. Neither one has any supernatural but both are loaded with weird science.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

John Dies at the End, although it's more silly/gonzo than the WOD.

If you want to go old school, maybe Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John and/or John Thunstone books.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Also old school Carnacki the Ghost Finder by William Hope Hodgson

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff4/ has the stories there. My favorite is The Horse of the Invisible.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm fond of the various Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch--

crap, never mind

A stretch, maybe, but the various Bobby Dollar books by Tad Williams did come to mind--

Jack B Nimble posted:

but I want it to be good?

crap, never mind

Maybe one of the five million Charles de Lint books would work for you, but they're mostly the calm fairy-like sort of magical realism, not the fighting-y sort. Same with the old Neverwhere/Borderlands shared-world anthology stuff. Uh. I'm beginning to sense a gap in my reading history. Pardon me.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Picayune posted:

Also City of Stairs/City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett--they revolve around fantasy versions of Russia and India.

Are there any additional modern fiction books that take place in fantasy/alternate versions of Russia? Or I guess any non-traditional (western?) locales.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Picayune posted:

Robert Jackson Bennett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmW_j9IhAA

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think I'm going to read Frankenstein for the first time, and now I'm curious whether I should go for the 1818 or the Revised 1838 edition.

Opinions?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

moctopus posted:

Are there any additional modern fiction books that take place in fantasy/alternate versions of Russia? Or I guess any non-traditional (western?) locales.

There's the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, and so on). Granted, it's been years since I read those, so they may not be as good as I remember. The movies they made from the first two books were pretty good, too.

Yeeah, don't read that one.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Picayune posted:

The movies they made from the first two books were pretty good, too.

Were they really? That's not how I remember them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Night Watch I thought was OK. Daywatch was just kind of nothing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I examined some of the recommendations and nothing really grabbed me; my own searching didn't turn up much either, aside from something called the "Urban Fantasy" genre. Problem is, looking at a tile of book covers on a web page is literally judging a book by it's cover.

It's weird though, this genre, Urban Fantasy or whatever you'd call it, isn't obscure. If I was going to name shows or movies like this I, someone who's not at all a movie buff, could rattle off:

X-Files
Angel/Buffy
Brimstone
Supernatural
Blade, Underworld, etc (there comes a point where a "vampire" movie is crossing into WoD territory, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the line?)

And that's just off the top of my head, but when I go looking for books I come up empty. I know these books have to be out here, but I look at a dozen "Urban Fantasy" novels with dime a dozen romance novel art work and I can't tell what's good, and I don't trust a random google search to guide me through a genre that's just go to be packed with fetishistic schlock.

Thanks for the input, I ended up spending my audible credit on the first Wheel of Time book instead.

I'm sure I can find something good in this vein.

Like, I mean, did anyone here read Winter's Bone? Something like that but with magic would be great (not great like the original, more of a genre page turner, but you know). Spooky creepy stuff going on in the methy Appalachians.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dresden Files fills that market niche right now for U.S authors. The Rivers of London / Peter Grant series is the best current series I'm aware of in this vein but it's set in London.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I examined some of the recommendations and nothing really grabbed me; my own searching didn't turn up much either, aside from something called the "Urban Fantasy" genre. Problem is, looking at a tile of book covers on a web page is literally judging a book by it's cover.

It's weird though, this genre, Urban Fantasy or whatever you'd call it, isn't obscure. If I was going to name shows or movies like this I, someone who's not at all a movie buff, could rattle off:

X-Files
Angel/Buffy
Brimstone
Supernatural
Blade, Underworld, etc (there comes a point where a "vampire" movie is crossing into WoD territory, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the line?)

And that's just off the top of my head, but when I go looking for books I come up empty. I know these books have to be out here, but I look at a dozen "Urban Fantasy" novels with dime a dozen romance novel art work and I can't tell what's good, and I don't trust a random google search to guide me through a genre that's just go to be packed with fetishistic schlock.

Thanks for the input, I ended up spending my audible credit on the first Wheel of Time book instead.

I'm sure I can find something good in this vein.

Like, I mean, did anyone here read Winter's Bone? Something like that but with magic would be great (not great like the original, more of a genre page turner, but you know). Spooky creepy stuff going on in the methy Appalachians.

You might like All the Birds in the Sky.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bowser posted:

Samuel R. Delany's Neveryon Cycle are set in a sort of African-Mediterranean empire, it's deliberately vague but distinctly non-European. Also someone is translating the Heroic Legend of Arslan novels by Yoshiki Tanaka, which are set in a fantasy Persia basically. The first one is complete. You can find them here: https://arslansenki.wordpress.com/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jack B Nimble posted:

Old Nathan by David Drake. It's set in 18th-19th century Appalachia.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just recommended them up-page, but Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer / Silver John novels and stories are all about weird goings-on in the Appalachian South. They're set sometime in the mid-20th century, so a bit pre-meth.

Here's one of the stories if you want to check it out.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Counterpoint: The Silver John novels are not that good. (Some of the short stories are alright.)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I need to add $15 worth of stuff to get free shipping on my Amazon order. My current cart has a $14 shipping price anyway so why not get some (sort of) free books?

Recently I've read and enjoyed a few Cormac McCarthy books, as well as Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. This is a vague suggestion request but I'm not too picky on what I'm getting, though I don't want anything that's part of a series.
Alternatively if anyone knows something that sells for $15 on Amazon that's a life changer, let me know. I'll check back in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fun Times! posted:

I need to add $15 worth of stuff to get free shipping on my Amazon order. My current cart has a $14 shipping price anyway so why not get some (sort of) free books?

Recently I've read and enjoyed a few Cormac McCarthy books, as well as Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. This is a vague suggestion request but I'm not too picky on what I'm getting, though I don't want anything that's part of a series.
Alternatively if anyone knows something that sells for $15 on Amazon that's a life changer, let me know. I'll check back in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Birds...s+barry+hughart

https://www.amazon.com/Neil-Gaiman-Charles-Vess-Stardust/dp/156389470X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Light-Roger-Zelazny/dp/0060567236

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Lonesome-October-Rediscovered-Classics/dp/1556525605